Noise problem when in low speed

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2020 | 03:28 AM
4th Gear

Noise problem when in low speed

I recently bought 2020 ILX. When I slowly back up the car (with brake), I can hear noise from the trunk - just like a ball in the trunk rolling and bouncing back and forth. I checked my trunk and back seats and all were empty. It happened almost every time. I took the car to dealer one day, and they also noticed the issue. The tech said they might need more time to find the problem. Later, they called me and said this noise issue is a common problem in 2020 ILX, and every car has the same, and there is no safety concern. I just feel annoying especially it is a new car. Just want to check and see if anyone had the same issue and if it is indeed a common problem for ILX?

Thank you, and happy holidays!
Old 12-07-2020 | 10:06 PM
10th Gear

When you say it sounds like a ball, does it sound like a marble or something much larger and heavier? If it sounds small, have you checked the spare tire well where the fix-a-flat kit is and underneath the foam "toolbox" insert? Maybe there is something moving around in that area. I can't remember if the 2020 ILX has a capless fuel filler neck or not but if it does then there will be a plastic funnel in that area of the trunk. Maybe that came loose and moves around or it has something to do with the inflator / fix-a-flat tool. Could also be something under the rear deck cover like a loose screw between the plastic and metal.

If it sounds larger, it could be the foam toolbox like insert shifting around or even the fuel sloshing in the fuel tank. If it is the fuel then the sound should change when the tank is full versus being half full or near empty.

Suspension components can also make strange noises but I am leaning towards it being something more simple than that.
Old 12-07-2020 | 11:33 PM
4th Gear

Hi Jeff - thanks a lot for your kind reply, and it is indeed very helpful. The sound is indeed like a small ball rolling in the trunk. I just removed the foam toolbox from the trunk, but the sound is still clear. It's just like the ball couldn't stop moving when you back up the car and then suddenly presse the brake. The dealer said that's from brake rod and pad, but they have no fix at this moment... not sure if it is indeed the case... It'll be great to have some advice here. Thank you, Jeff!
Old 12-08-2020 | 03:04 PM
10th Gear

So the sound is still present after the car has come to a complete stop? I don't see how that would have anything to do with the brakes since at that point all of those parts are now motionless. Have you had someone in the back seat while you are driving to pinpoint exactly where the sound is from? Sometimes cabin sounds can reflect off of glass and sound like they are coming from other areas. Have them see if it may be a noise that comes from the rear deck where the speakers are under the rear glass. There are some spaces for small items to hide out. There are also areas behind the felt insulation in the trunk on the sides and even the cover under the trunk lid. Has to be something loose that swings or rolls. Since it keeps moving for a bit the person should have plenty of time to find the source. You can even fold the rear seat back down to see if that helps you identify what is going on.

Even the components above the headliner for the moon roof have places for a small screw to hide and possiblity roll around a little.
Old 01-10-2021 | 09:59 PM
2nd Gear

Were you ever able to identify the source of this noise? I also have a 2020 ILX (purchased last February) and I have never heard any such noise, or any unusual noises when reversing or otherwise. I can’t help find the cause of the problem, but here’s at least a data point of another 2020 owner not having this issue.
Old 01-11-2021 | 11:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

If you can easily reproduce the noise, bring it to the dealer since you're still in warranty. Once the service advisor hears the noise, I'm sure he'll agree something is broken or loose back there.