Need some feedback on coilover decisions

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 11:49 PM
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Need some feedback on coilover decisions

Can't start a poll since I'm on mobile but....

It looks like ill take one for the team and buy coilovers/make a diy. Ill most likely buy them with-in two months or so unless something unexpected happens, but the problem is deciding on the right set. I'm strongly leaning toward the ksport coils but I'd like some feedback from you guys. (Ksport, d2racing, teins, etc)

http://www.redline360.com/ksport-kon...-ilx-CAC130-KP
Old 07-04-2013, 12:18 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
D2 or ksport.
Duuuump her.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:34 AM
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
I had KSport on my cobalt... fair warning the rear spring rate is way to low. It's great if you have a female passenger and want their boobs to bounce, but otherwise it's annoying as all hell!

Look into the spring rates before you pull the trigger on Ksport.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:58 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by usdmJON
D2 or ksport.
Duuuump her.
She's gunna hug the ground when I'm done haha.

Originally Posted by Switt23
I had KSport on my cobalt... fair warning the rear spring rate is way to low. It's great if you have a female passenger and want their boobs to bounce, but otherwise it's annoying as all hell!

Look into the spring rates before you pull the trigger on Ksport.
Bouncing titties are always nice, unless they belong to my not so little brother when I gotta take him places. I'm not a fan of meganracing and the teins are ridiculously overpriced for the product I'm receiving, so what about d2's?

http://www.redline360.com/d2-racing-...-ilx-D-HN-25-1
Old 07-04-2013, 11:55 AM
Drifting

Received 285 Likes on 245 Posts
there are two versions of the Teins...you can get the basis ones. I would check the honda forums, there are not so great reviews on some of the coils your considering. Teins seem to be the only ones with great reviews, but, then again, the price of entry isn't the greatest.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:15 PM
Racer

Yeah, the price is ridiculous for what I'm getting. I was thinking about the higher end teins but then again... I have teins currently on my gsr and they ride smooth and all but they don't go as low as I want them too. Also with the d2's; I can order custom spring rates.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:56 PM
Suzuka Master

D2.
Youre going to hear complaints about all suspension companies. They are all pretty similar in the end.
Teins just cost too much for the name.
Ksport apparently someone found bouncy?
D2s then. Sound good to me.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:17 PM
Drifting

Apparently d2 had an issue with the mounts on their coils. And people were getting issues with noise...some custom tweaking required making them perfect. But, even with that, D2 is awesome in customer service, they're all over the forums and even resent mounts and stuff to make customer's products work perfectly. They definitely go loooowwww too.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:46 PM
Racer

Sounds like ill be going with d2's then. Jon pretty much summed it up. Teins bottom out after a 2.2in drop all around. If d2's go lower then that then im sold on d2's haha. And if d2 has great customer service and I don't see a problem with there reviews so why not.
I also emailed AMR performance to see what they could do for me.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:13 PM
Suzuka Master

I tried posting twice earlier today but my phone just wouldnt have it.

Normally before buying a part I will type in "company name" coilovers suck to see if anyone anywhere is making threads against a company.

Both ksport and d2 have hits for their name coilovers sucking.

Try these
HondaTech D2 VS Ksport
http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1322139

eclipse forum ksport VS D2
http://www.club3g.com/forum/wheels-t...coilovers.html

Subaru forum ksport VS d2 VS megan
http://www.rs25.com/forums/f9/t14930...coilovers.html

b20 honda forum d2 VS ksport
http://www.b20vtec.com/forums/suspen...-coilover.html

Happy reading.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:15 PM
Suzuka Master

But be warned, the majority of the posts in those threads will be he said she saids, I know a guys, and band camp stories. You'll hardly ever find first hand stories and accounts so sift through all the crap in those forums and you'll find a gem of a point here and there.

Edit:
You'll also find a lot of them think and post the same way I do so be ready for some shit talking. hahaha

Best advice I read from h-t by Mike C, whom is very knowledgeable, I remember him from my hondatech days:
"hrm.. a taiwanese mass-produced cheap coilover versus a taiwanese mass-produced cheap coilover. you tell me"

^truth. Theyre really all the same shit with different colors and names. Same for springs which is why I was so hostile in those conversations. Tein, Eibach, H&R, all the same shit. Buy the color you like and the name you want to sport.

So I'd go D2 but again, same shit.

Pretty much same design. I have driven a car on a set for the past 3 months. And pushed it hard. For the street and aggresive driving. maybe occasional track. Does the job pretty damn good for me. And it holds up to some of L.A. and hollywoods nastiest streets and freeways to a level that im amazed by. Surpassed my Tein SS in the durability dept.*sometimes i do miss or missjudge the nasty craters around here*
they are the same company. i think ksport is in europe or someting and d2 is in japan
Im reading they arent the same company but they are manufactured in the same factory. Whatever that means.

Last edited by usdmJON; 07-04-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:00 PM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Honestly if you want to dump it get buddy clubs.

If you want performance call feals suspension their put in Rancho Cucamonga great guys and will build you custom coils with swift springs for right around 1450.00. They are where I'm headed if my other deal falls thru

Tein are good and the SS are decent height adjustable but they are not known for slamming rides and for the price of the high end teins you will get more bang for your buck from Feals.

Other than that I would think about waiting for KW and going that route (also an option I'm strongly considering)

Good luck and I can't wait to see how she turns out!
Old 07-04-2013, 08:57 PM
Racer

@usdmjon your thing is too long to quote. But I'm waiting for an answer from andy@amr first. Other than that I'd just buy the d2's already since I have enough in my crack money jar. Lol everybody just has a 2nd hand story, I'm thinking they just post reviews on there to talk garbage. My cousin has the d2's on his 08 si coupe and he says they ride pretty good. But La roads are harder to drive on than Carolina roads...

@neveronlineilx I was about to say buddyclub doesn't make coils for ilx lol... But I didn't know they can custom make some. I might as well get those because I love the n+ dampers on my previous em1. There only a 27 min drive from me

Thanks ! I hope it turns out the way I want it too haha
Old 07-04-2013, 11:11 PM
Racer

So all I will say is from experience... 7.5k front spring rate and 7k rear... I don't think the rear should ever be lower than the front, but that is just me.

Buddy of mine I sold them too swapped the rear out for 10k springs on the Ksport and they ride a ton better.

It's not a matter of some guy said, it's a matter of I have OWNED them. I have rode in them Daily before getting my ILX .

I think D2's would probably be the better option.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:36 AM
Drifting

The best coils for the money are the redshift ones...but they're 1500. Good luck with your purchase. You'll be happy wherever you net out. By the way, Heel Toe is a vendor on here, feel free to check what prices he can give you -- he's always trying to cut deals with members.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:44 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Switt23
So all I will say is from experience... 7.5k front spring rate and 7k rear... I don't think the rear should ever be lower than the front, but that is just me.

Buddy of mine I sold them too swapped the rear out for 10k springs on the Ksport and they ride a ton better.

It's not a matter of some guy said, it's a matter of I have OWNED them. I have rode in them Daily before getting my ILX .

I think D2's would probably be the better option.
So how was the ride quality on a scale of 1-10?
Bouncy? Smooth? Close to stock? Smoother than stock?

Originally Posted by spdandpwr
The best coils for the money are the redshift ones...but they're 1500. Good luck with your purchase. You'll be happy wherever you net out. By the way, Heel Toe is a vendor on here, feel free to check what prices he can give you -- he's always trying to cut deals with members.
I don't mind spending money for quality coils. I'm stuck with the car for another 4 years so and in the long run, it'll save me from buying another set.

Also I emailed redline and the ksports/d2's drop about 2.5-3 inches
Old 07-05-2013, 03:53 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it all depends on how low and how you want you car to ride i like lowering but the ride seems to feel the bumps and what not more
Old 07-05-2013, 03:55 PM
Suzuka Master

lol I love this place /sarcasm
Old 07-05-2013, 09:50 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Acurakrazy
it all depends on how low and how you want you car to ride i like lowering but the ride seems to feel the bumps and what not more
I wanna go as low as the coils will let me.

Originally Posted by usdmJON
lol I love this place /sarcasm
At least people don't flame and tell people to "search" lmao
Old 07-05-2013, 10:06 PM
Suzuka Master

LOL I became very accustomed to the incessant flaming and "SEARCH BEFORE WE KILL YOU" rants. That is why I endlessly research things before I ask questions and why Im the one telling people they need to search more... I then post a link to what theyre looking for but sometimes my god man. LOL
Old 07-06-2013, 12:36 AM
Racer

My vote goes to RedShift Motorsports.

Spring rates are 450F/550R so the rear doesn't bounce. To support my comment about the rear needs to be higher, think of it like this. Most of the weight on the car is in the front, so it shouldn't bounce as much as the weight keeps it in line. The rear doesn't have much weight and if the spring is real soft it's like a trampoline. RedShift has the stiffer springs in the rear to eliminate the rebound "bounce" that is typical with coilovers.

Ksport's I would rate a 4.5-5 on ride quality with the springs that came with the coilovers.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:13 AM
Suzuka Master

Funny. I have a completely different understanding of suspension.
Stiffer struts in my opinion will make the ride less bouncy. Stiffer springs will allow less suspension travel downward but springs cant stop upward travel... or the bounce. Its the strut that prevents upward motion and the spring stiffness working with the strut while the suspension tightens.

Let me know if im wrong and there is some reading somewhere I can do.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:47 AM
Racer

No you pretty much nailed it... basically the stiffer the suspension the less bounce as the spring stabilizes the upward motion faster and the stiffer struts allow less downforce on the spring.

My logic may be completely wrong, but what I can tell you 100% from experience is that you don't want the spring to be too soft in the rear or it will sag and bounce.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:40 PM
Suzuka Master

I have no idea about weight ratios and stiffness.
I just read my functionform type1s were only 10k/6k which seems kinda soft. I thought those road perfect.