Manual transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013 | 07:08 PM
ads
Intermediate

Manual transmission problem

Hey what's up guys,

I was driving to work today and stopped at the stoplight. I acidently put it in 3rd instead of 1st and just added more gas so I wouldn't stall. Well, my rpm shot up to 6k and when I changed t 4th it was still 6k, changed it to 5th and 6th still nothing. It seemed like it was still stuck in 3rd gear. The rpm stayed up there for like 10 seconds until it finally allowed me to go to 5th and return the rpm down to normal. Then I smelled a strong metal like smell.

What do you guys think happened? Should I take it to the dealership and have them look at it?

It was weird that I was only going 20-25 in 3rd supposedly but my rpm was almost redlining and wouldn't shift out of gear.

Thanks
Old 05-04-2013 | 08:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Could be a clutch, syncro or drive-by-wire issue. Take it in.

The metal smell probably was the clutch, at least that's my guess.
Old 05-04-2013 | 08:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Clutch usually smells like rotten eggs, maybe it was slipping. Post a vid and maybe one of us can help you out.
The following users liked this post:
Trentimus (05-04-2013)
Old 05-05-2013 | 08:13 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ads
Hey what's up guys,

I was driving to work today and stopped at the stoplight. I acidently put it in 3rd instead of 1st and just added more gas so I wouldn't stall. Well, my rpm shot up to 6k and when I changed t 4th it was still 6k, changed it to 5th and 6th still nothing. It seemed like it was still stuck in 3rd gear. The rpm stayed up there for like 10 seconds until it finally allowed me to go to 5th and return the rpm down to normal. Then I smelled a strong metal like smell.

What do you guys think happened? Should I take it to the dealership and have them look at it?

It was weird that I was only going 20-25 in 3rd supposedly but my rpm was almost redlining and wouldn't shift out of gear.

Thanks
so you're saying you switched the car into 4th gear (by releasing the clutch pedal) and the rpms were still up? The burning smell could be from riding the clutch in 3rd. But the sticking throttle could be another issue entirely. Were you hitting the brakes at the same time while changing gears. As dumb as it sounds, I've been in situations (with my previous mt car) where I was hitting my brakes and trying to stop while in neutral and my car was revving like crazy -- it was only later where I realized that I pressing both pedals .
Old 05-09-2013 | 11:44 AM
ads
Intermediate

Originally Posted by spdandpwr
so you're saying you switched the car into 4th gear (by releasing the clutch pedal) and the rpms were still up? The burning smell could be from riding the clutch in 3rd. But the sticking throttle could be another issue entirely. Were you hitting the brakes at the same time while changing gears. As dumb as it sounds, I've been in situations (with my previous mt car) where I was hitting my brakes and trying to stop while in neutral and my car was revving like crazy -- it was only later where I realized that I pressing both pedals .
no i was in gear but it was still revving at 6k. I changed it all the way to 6th and it still was that high. There were cars behind me so I couldn't really hit the breaks.

What should I tell them at the dealership? Also, would this be covered by the warranty?
Old 05-09-2013 | 03:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ads
no i was in gear but it was still revving at 6k. I changed it all the way to 6th and it still was that high. There were cars behind me so I couldn't really hit the breaks.

What should I tell them at the dealership? Also, would this be covered by the warranty?
I would take it in. They will likely say they can't replicate the issue but at least you're on record asking for help.
Old 05-11-2013 | 11:43 PM
Cruisin'

Did you have the SRS off at the time this happed? Commimg off third gear you must have had some clutch play in order for you to get going to keep from stalling, but if you really floored it on third then you had a slip. Its a hydrolic clutch and you basically had it stuck in gear. Ill try to explain, have you ever been in neutral and reved up to 6000 rpm then try to throw it in gear? I wont happen you have to wait to be in gear first in order to get that desired launch..so in essence you did the same thing only in a weird fashion. It could explain why you couldnt get any other gears to work...you needed to wait for the rpms to return to normal, Can anyone say it could be a possibility?
Old 05-13-2013 | 07:45 PM
ads
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fjreyes17
Did you have the SRS off at the time this happed? Commimg off third gear you must have had some clutch play in order for you to get going to keep from stalling, but if you really floored it on third then you had a slip. Its a hydrolic clutch and you basically had it stuck in gear. Ill try to explain, have you ever been in neutral and reved up to 6000 rpm then try to throw it in gear? I wont happen you have to wait to be in gear first in order to get that desired launch..so in essence you did the same thing only in a weird fashion. It could explain why you couldnt get any other gears to work...you needed to wait for the rpms to return to normal, Can anyone say it could be a possibility?
no the SRS wasn't off. But, I think you are correct. I started out in third and had to almost floor it so it wouldn't stall, then I tried to switch to the lower gear. Would this mess up my clutch bad, or is not something to be too worried about?
Old 05-14-2013 | 06:08 PM
Cruisin'

Think of it as smoking...your talking a few days off your life, so you just wore the clutch down..and thus taking a few days off its life. Your totally fine