Keyless Entry Start Hack?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 08:38 AM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
Keyless Entry Start Hack?

Seems like thieves in the UK are thriving on BMWs keyless entry and start up system.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...less-bmw-gone/

http://hackaday.com/2012/07/07/keyle...easy-to-steal/

(Please don't feel like I am encouraging or glamorizing this activity!)

Seems like once thieves gain access inside your car, its pretty much over. Was wondering if ILX with push button start would be equally vulnerable...
Old 09-09-2012, 03:22 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
If someone wants to steal your car they are going to do it one way or another. It looks like these thieves are exploiting a particular BMW vulnerability, but any security system will have vulnerabilities. When I got my flip key programmed for my TSX I went to a local locksmith. He used a device to plug into the OBD port to program the new key. Actually he had to reprogram all the keys. My understanding was that those devices are only (supposed) to be sold to licensed locksmiths. And I had to let him inside the car to do it. So the only difference here is that with the keyless start there is no key to cut. So this makes one less step to steal a keyless start car using reprogramable keys.

But I think stealing a high end BMW is one thing, not sure if there is a big market for stolen Accra's.

My car is in a garage at night. At work it is pretty safe since I work in a secure campus area. This process would take too long for a car parked at a public place during the day. So I'm not that worried.
The following users liked this post:
rxj27 (09-09-2012)
Old 09-09-2012, 08:02 AM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
If someone wants to steal your car they are going to do it one way or another. It looks like these thieves are exploiting a particular BMW vulnerability, but any security system will have vulnerabilities. When I got my flip key programmed for my TSX I went to a local locksmith. He used a device to plug into the OBD port to program the new key. Actually he had to reprogram all the keys. My understanding was that those devices are only (supposed) to be sold to licensed locksmiths. And I had to let him inside the car to do it. So the only difference here is that with the keyless start there is no key to cut. So this makes one less step to steal a keyless start car using reprogramable keys.

But I think stealing a high end BMW is one thing, not sure if there is a big market for stolen Accra's.

My car is in a garage at night. At work it is pretty safe since I work in a secure campus area. This process would take too long for a car parked at a public place during the day. So I'm not that worried.
No I wasn't losing any sleep over the matter...but was just wondering if Acura had any extra lockout/security measures. In addition, I thought only dealers were supposed to be able to reprogram the keys. Must mean these programmers are freely available on line...

And yea, not really sure if Acura even sells cars in the UK...
Old 09-12-2012, 04:01 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Lojack's early notification alerts you if your car is in motion without the key being nearby.

I wonder if this notification would still work with this exploit, or would it just detect the car as being legitimately in motion?