ILX suspension noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 12:41 PM
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
How bad did you guys have to fight with the dealer though to get them to pay the payoff amount?

Mine is under $20,000 now so I am not so worried about getting the price to get out of it, but with the sales being so low on the cars I would think t would be a battle to get a good trade in.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:30 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Switt23
How bad did you guys have to fight with the dealer though to get them to pay the payoff amount?

Mine is under $20,000 now so I am not so worried about getting the price to get out of it, but with the sales being so low on the cars I would think t would be a battle to get a good trade in.
A good way to value your trade is to take it to the local Carmax store. They will give you a bid to buy your car. Then when you go to a dealer to trade for a new vehicle you deal like its a cash deal, knowing what discount you should get off the new cars MSRP. It then becomes simple math. If Carmax is offering less then your payoff then you know how much you are upside down in your ILX.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:34 PM
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Carmax
Old 04-03-2014, 02:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
Glad I had decided to keep it before signing anything. Still love the car and love it more with every little thing I do.

I'll be swapping out my entire suspension here soon. Though Ive had no issue with my shocks as is, I would be so interested to see my used good shocks go on a car experiencing the sound issue and see if it persists.. hell id just want to sit in an ILX while it made the noise so I dont feel so crazy having not heard it myself.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ You have no idea what you are missing!! *lol* Trust me, if you were subjected to this noise, you would be beyond yourself...It is so embarrassing.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:42 AM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
^^ You have no idea what you are missing!! *lol* Trust me, if you were subjected to this noise, you would be beyond yourself...It is so embarrassing.
I concur.

Any updates from anyone on this? Hearing any whispers of service bulletins / tsb's?

I can't take this anymore. It's THAT bad.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Just curious guys....An RDX owner swapped his SACHS rear reactive damper with the better KYB units from the 2012 RDX. Are you aware on whether there is an after market rear shock that could be put on the ILX to solve your noise issue?

There must be an after market that could be used.....

I am not sure if I am mad at Acura or SACHs for this piece of shit unit they placed in our vehicles.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Any shock made to fit the current gen (and previous) civic sedans will fit our ILX.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:44 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ If thats the case, I am surprised that ILX owners don't swap their rear shocks to silence the issue.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Thats what I've been saying.

In their defense they want to do it by the warranty so they cant replace them themselves they must wait on Acura.
The following users liked this post:
weather (05-16-2014)
Old 05-16-2014, 03:27 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ Well at least its nice to know that people that want to solve their problem on their own, do have an option. Waiting for Acura/Sachs to solve the problem is like me waiting for Angelina to call me for a date.....
Old 05-16-2014, 04:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Better luck with Angelina hitting you up to tell you about the issues her and I are currently having.
Chanancie 671 (05-16-2014)
Old 05-16-2014, 07:04 PM
Suzuka Master

^^^ *LMAO* So you are the guy behind the name that she keeps screaming when, well, you know
usdmJON (05-16-2014)
Old 05-16-2014, 07:17 PM
Suzuka Master

No that wouldn't make sense. She only calls me daddy.
weather (05-16-2014)
Old 05-27-2014, 03:33 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As garbage as Sachs are, and having replaced many bad ones on ILX's and RDX's.. Last suspension noise I found on an ILX turned out to sway-bar links.. And the noise sounded almost exactly the same as the dampers.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:32 PM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
Rear Sway bar links? What would I tell our local service reps to isolate the issue? Thanks!
Old 05-29-2014, 02:06 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
i've had rear suspension noise for about 8 months now. pretty much 2-3 months after i bought my car brand new. before i took it to cerritos acura, my car was parked and hit in the rear passenger side just between the gas door and rear tail light. because of the damage being so close to the rear suspension, acura wont honor my warranty saying it could possibly be due to the previous damage (although the service advisor knew this seems to be a reoccurring issue).

anyone have a good shock/strut to recommend going with a 1-1.5" drop?
Old 06-03-2014, 07:37 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do have same problem although it doesn't happen that often.
Acura should recall ILX's and fix the problem!!!
Old 06-03-2014, 08:03 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ Yeah...Good luck with that You do know that this has been affecting the RDX too right?!? Know many of those units have been sold and how costly this would be....although not as costly as the damage this is causing to their reputation.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by JBotts
As garbage as Sachs are, and having replaced many bad ones on ILX's and RDX's.. Last suspension noise I found on an ILX turned out to sway-bar links.. And the noise sounded almost exactly the same as the dampers.
I believe I suggested links or bushings about 100 pages ago.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:11 AM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
By replacing these, it will do what?
Old 06-04-2014, 10:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Lol. Stop the sound if the sound is emanating from the links.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 465 Likes on 198 Posts
Would going to 2014+ Civic Si sedan suspension components remedy the noises and aid (slightly) in driving characteristics? I imagine a harsher ride and adverse affects if you only do the rear end, so a complete swap is favorable, correct?
Old 08-04-2014, 10:48 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by hondeducation
i've had rear suspension noise for about 8 months now. pretty much 2-3 months after i bought my car brand new. before i took it to cerritos acura, my car was parked and hit in the rear passenger side just between the gas door and rear tail light. because of the damage being so close to the rear suspension, acura wont honor my warranty saying it could possibly be due to the previous damage (although the service advisor knew this seems to be a reoccurring issue).

anyone have a good shock/strut to recommend going with a 1-1.5" drop?
thought i'd give you guys an update on my suspension noise. looked like my rear passenger strut was making the sound and was not dampening correctly. I had to go to a different dealer to replace my strut for free under warranty. Cerritos Acura you guys suck! Thanks Torrance Acura! no more noise!
Old 08-05-2014, 09:33 AM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by hondeducation
thought i'd give you guys an update on my suspension noise. looked like my rear passenger strut was making the sound and was not dampening correctly. I had to go to a different dealer to replace my strut for free under warranty. Cerritos Acura you guys suck! Thanks Torrance Acura! no more noise!
How were you able to determine that it was the strut making noise?
Old 08-05-2014, 10:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Well one user has claimed to have the strut replaced and the sound came back. Leading us to believe there was something possibly ruining the strut which then caused the noise.

Hope the fix lasts!!
Old 10-15-2014, 03:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 127 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by usdmJON
I replaced my rear-links and sway bar long ago. I still have the car-tearing in half sound coming from the back as well.

Before it's asked, I had the noise before the upgrades. I thought eventually I'd buy a set of TEIN coil overs but I decided I didn't care.

The car is solid in a lot of ways, huge disappointment in others. Let us all hope that Honda's build quality remains in the reliability of the machine. It clearly isn't in the fit and finish.

After hearing about the above, I'd rather not even bother with the dealer. The less stress for me, the better. I'll just wait til I hit 80,000 miles to worry about switching them out.

Last edited by Trentimus; 10-15-2014 at 03:39 PM. Reason: misc. grammar corrections/added footnote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Trentimus
I replaced my rear-links and sway bar long ago. I still have the car-tearing in half sound coming from the back as well.

Before it's asked, I had the noise before the upgrades. I thought eventually I'd buy a set of TEIN coil overs but I decided I didn't care.
WHOA!! Long time no see. I wondered if you even had the ILX still.

Originally Posted by Colin

Originally Posted by Spirited Driver
By replacing these, it will do what?

I was just telling SpiritDriver what the fix would do. Made me lol since it seemed obvious that a suggested "fix" in the Suspension Noise thread would probably solve the suspension noise.

So if you replaced the bushings and you still hear the sound then we can rule out the bushings.

The car is solid in a lot of ways, huge disappointment in others. Let us all hope that Honda's build quality remains in the reliability of the machine. It clearly isn't in the fit and finish.

After hearing about the above, I'd rather not even bother with the dealer. The less stress for me, the better. I'll just wait til I hit 80,000 miles to worry about switching them out.
For me, my disappointment with the car is simply other people's response to it. Non forum people love my car and the ILX in general is well received.

Then when it comes to those that simply dont like Honda, they state it's just a glorified civic. Well if you aren't a civic fan than that opinion is pretty mote in MY opinion. Civic is a great car for what it is at the price range it's at. As well the ILX.

The Acura guys, mainly the those that dont like anything after the 90s acuras/ 3G TLs, wont open up to them either. But ACURA enthusiasts, those that grew up with an integra, moved onto a CL, then an RDX, tend to like the ILX and say it would be a great car to get their kid interest in making payments on a nicer car.

Which is where I feel and exactly why I love the car.
Sure I wish it had more power, but I dont wish it were manual. I went auto for the lux.
Sure it could be matched with a better tranny but if it was Id probably have a ton of speeding tickets or possibly wrecked trying to prove some factor specs.

I agree on not wanting to bother with the dealer. I just dont care to deal with them either. I've received two free oil changes voucher from them and I simply wont take my car there. Fuck that.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

WHOA!! Long time no see. I wondered if you even had the ILX still.

I was just telling SpiritDriver what the fix would do. Made me lol since it seemed obvious that a suggested "fix" in the Suspension Noise thread would probably solve the suspension noise.

So if you replaced the bushings and you still hear the sound then we can rule out the bushings.

For me, my disappointment with the car is simply other people's response to it. Non forum people love my car and the ILX in general is well received.

Then when it comes to those that simply dont like Honda, they state it's just a glorified civic. Well if you aren't a civic fan than that opinion is pretty mote in MY opinion. Civic is a great car for what it is at the price range it's at. As well the ILX.

The Acura guys, mainly the those that dont like anything after the 90s acuras/ 3G TLs, wont open up to them either. But ACURA enthusiasts, those that grew up with an integra, moved onto a CL, then an RDX, tend to like the ILX and say it would be a great car to get their kid interest in making payments on a nicer car.

Which is where I feel and exactly why I love the car.
Sure I wish it had more power, but I dont wish it were manual. I went auto for the lux.
Sure it could be matched with a better tranny but if it was Id probably have a ton of speeding tickets or possibly wrecked trying to prove some factor specs.

I agree on not wanting to bother with the dealer. I just dont care to deal with them either. I've received two free oil changes voucher from them and I simply wont take my car there. Fuck that.
I personally don't fall into any of those categories. I love the power and I love the manual six. The car aesthetically inside and out is to my liking.
It's poor QA with the rear shocks, road noise, and drone are terrible (plenty of other issue to rag on for the price of the vehicle). It speaks volumes about Honda Motorco that they refuse to fix these shocks.

You'd just need to hear it yourself.

I think you should take more note in the people who own the vehicle.. a lot of us are dissatisfied with our purchase, many of us will move away from Acura/Honda BECAUSE of this vehicle. The old Acura fans might have been on to something honestly.

Last edited by Trentimus; 10-15-2014 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Added.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:05 PM
Suzuka Master

I personally don't fall into any of those categories. I love the power and I love the manual six. The car aesthetically inside and out is to my liking.
It's poor QA with the rear shocks, road noise, and drone are terrible (plenty of other issue to rag on for the price of the vehicle). It speaks volumes about Honda Motorco that they refuse to fix these shocks.

You'd just need to hear it yourself.
I definitely wish I could hear it for myself. But not in my ILX.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

I definitely wish I could hear it for myself. But not in my ILX.
It's very unpleasant. Like others have said.. it's embarrassing. Let a friend in your car for lunch or something and every speed bump sounds like it is going to tear the back half of the car off. But, obviously I am not saying if you're happy with it you're wrong. If my car didn't have 20 rattles, that luckily I could fix (others might not be able to), and this shock deal.. I might be significantly less upset.

Best thing I did was decide to avoid the supercharger.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:25 PM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
Same deal here. Our 2013 Tech ILX The rear end does the clunk, thud, jiggle. (We added fat mat sound deadener to the trunk and under the rear seat to help slow the road noise but its still there. Just turning 20 K miles. Dealer won't replace shocks because "they are not leaking".
We have 11 months left on our lease. I believe we are gonna try something different
Trentimus (10-15-2014)
Old 10-15-2014, 04:27 PM
Suzuka Master

It's very unpleasant. Like others have said.. it's embarrassing. Let a friend in your car for lunch or something and every speed bump sounds like it is going to tear the back half of the car off. But, obviously I am not saying if you're happy with it you're wrong. If my car didn't have 20 rattles, that luckily I could fix (others might not be able to), and this shock deal.. I might be significantly less upset.

Best thing I did was decide to avoid the supercharger.
Yeah if you aren't LOVING the car it would probably be a let down to spend that much more money.

Were you able to sell it off?

We've got 2 users with superchargers now. Both making good numbers, just wish they lived on the same side of the US and could dyno on the same machine.

I plan on doing a supercharger in the future, r18 shows impressive numbers so if I can get the stand alone ECU working properly boost will be no problem and pick me up past the non tuned 2.4s with bolt ons and quicker than any subaru non STI I'll find.

I can be happy with that from a 2liter auto.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yeah if you aren't LOVING the car it would probably be a let down to spend that much more money.

Were you able to sell it off?

We've got 2 users with superchargers now. Both making good numbers, just wish they lived on the same side of the US and could dyno on the same machine.

I plan on doing a supercharger in the future, r18 shows impressive numbers so if I can get the stand alone ECU working properly boost will be no problem and pick me up past the non tuned 2.4s with bolt ons and quicker than any subaru non STI I'll find.

I can be happy with that from a 2liter auto.
My car is still making 210whp on a 80 degree day, so I am happy with that for the most part.

I sold it within a few days of it arriving at my house. The car itself is the biggest let down. I see the quality of the Ford Focus (ST in particular), Chrysler 200, Mazda 3/6s and just cringe at it. For the results the ILX is pretty overpriced. I expect the MMC to be significant if they want the car to survive it's competition.

I am glad you're still enjoying your car.
Old 10-15-2014, 05:19 PM
Suzuka Master

See I feel those cars mentioned are either ugly or subpar.
Where as I find the ilx stunning.

To each their own.
I can't argue about the power. But honestly I wouldn't be down for higher monthly payments for more hp. I'd rather upgrade that myself down the line.
build verse bought.

I take it your 2.4 is tuned then?
Old 10-16-2014, 01:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

See I feel those cars mentioned are either ugly or subpar.
Where as I find the ilx stunning.

To each their own.
I can't argue about the power. But honestly I wouldn't be down for higher monthly payments for more hp. I'd rather upgrade that myself down the line.
build verse bought.

I take it your 2.4 is tuned then?
You don't have to have higher payments to have power.. that was never even part of the issue.
Ford Focus St, nicer drive quality, way more power, features available and still remains a nice six speed..
Mazda 6 is cheaper and has a better interior, plus ride quality.
I haven't driven the new 3 but it also has a nicer interior than the ILX.

I am not here for all this. I'd just recommend that anyone interested in the ILX avoid it. At least until MMC and only if the MMC brings some significant changes. The car's only hard value over the others in its class is the six speed, the revvy motor (or negative droney motor) and, hopefully, Hondas reputation for reliability. Mine is going in to have its AC serviced next week.

With the pricing of the TLX and the base model being significantly equipped over an ILX, SURELY Acura intends to drop the ILX into the 23000 starting price area.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:07 AM
Suzuka Master

You don't have to have higher payments to have power.. that was never even part of the issue.
Ford Focus St, nicer drive quality, way more power, features available and still remains a nice six speed..
Mazda 6 is cheaper and has a better interior, plus ride quality.
I haven't driven the new 3 but it also has a nicer interior than the ILX.
I just meant if I had the option for an ILX with more power and the same tech I wouldnt get it if I had to pay more. Just saying I am fine with the power it has. I dont drive a lot so it gets me where I need to go. I enjoy the progression of building a car way more than it simply being fast. All I meant.

I am not here for all this.
All of what?

I'd just recommend that anyone interested in the ILX avoid it. At least until MMC and only if the MMC brings some significant changes. The car's only hard value over the others in its class is the six speed, the revvy motor (or negative droney motor) and, hopefully, Hondas reputation for reliability.
Well there is one ILX that has just hit 100,000 miles, Good ol' 4cruzin. So Id say yeah the Honda reliability is there.

As for recommending that people interested should avoid the car; well I think that is some poor advice.
The people happy with their ILX knew what they were purchasing before so. The ones that are unhappy purchased a car they weren't informed on or had the misfortune of getting an ILX with a quirk that can't speak for the entire car as a whole.

And as for comparing it to other cars in its class... do we even understand what class the ILX falls in?
Lets look at the competition mentioned...
Chrysler 200... Mid-Size Car
Ford Focus (ST Included)... Compact/Small Family Car
Mazda 6... Mid-Size Car

Acura ILX... Compact Executive
Audi A3... Compact Executive
Mercedes CLA... Compact Executive

The ILX is in a class of luxury cars, not economy/family cars that frankly need power to boost sales.
Compared to it's class it is slow but AFFORDABLE. That is the ticket for the ILX and sadly that isn't really understood by a lot of people. The same old Am I crazy or is the rest of the world type deal.
But yeah, ILX oil change alone will show you the cost of ownership compared to it's German competitors.

Last edited by usdmJON; 10-16-2014 at 02:17 AM.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:41 AM
Three Wheelin'

I just meant if I had the option for an ILX with more power and the same tech I wouldnt get it if I had to pay more. Just saying I am fine with the power it has. I dont drive a lot so it gets me where I need to go. I enjoy the progression of building a car way more than it simply being fast. All I meant.

All of what?

Well there is one ILX that has just hit 100,000 miles, Good ol' 4cruzin. So Id say yeah the Honda reliability is there.

As for recommending that people interested should avoid the car; well I think that is some poor advice.
The people happy with their ILX knew what they were purchasing before so. The ones that are unhappy purchased a car they weren't informed on or had the misfortune of getting an ILX with a quirk that can't speak for the entire car as a whole.

And as for comparing it to other cars in its class... do we even understand what class the ILX falls in?
Lets look at the competition mentioned...
Chrysler 200... Mid-Size Car
Ford Focus (ST Included)... Compact/Small Family Car
Mazda 6... Mid-Size Car

Acura ILX... Compact Executive
Audi A3... Compact Executive
Mercedes CLA... Compact Executive

The ILX is in a class of luxury cars, not economy/family cars that frankly need power to boost sales.
Compared to it's class it is slow but AFFORDABLE. That is the ticket for the ILX and sadly that isn't really understood by a lot of people. The same old Am I crazy or is the rest of the world type deal.
But yeah, ILX oil change alone will show you the cost of ownership compared to it's German competitors.
Perhaps I am inferring. It seems you do a lot of implying... a lot.

You're in love with your ILX, that is great. I am pretty sure I knew what I was buying. It is great advice in my opinion. Get a quieter, nicer interior, more power and more features from a Mazda 6. I'll do some implication of my own: perhaps, some people are willing to dismiss very comparable cars because of a badge. I am not one o those people. Affordable you say? The cars I listed are significantly cheaper than the ILX.

PS. 100k miles isn't impressing anyone.

You know, you can be abrassive in your fanboyism.

Back on topic: The ILX has a rear suspension issue Honda refuses to fix. End of discussion until they decide to solve it, or never

Last edited by Trentimus; 10-16-2014 at 08:45 AM.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:24 AM
Suzuka Master

You know, you can be abrassive in your fanboyism.
I know I can be quite abrasive when trying to make a point. For this I do apologize.
As for being a fanboy, that I am not. If I was sitting here telling you the ILX is BETTER than the cars you have mentioned then I can see you calling me a fanboy. But I'm simply telling you to stop comparing apples to bananas. Compare the ILX the those in it's class, not those you feel are similar.

Perhaps I am inferring. It seems you do a lot of implying... a lot.
I've stated what I felt very plainly. What am I implying here?

You're in love with your ILX, that is great. I am pretty sure I knew what I was buying. It is great advice in my opinion.
I do love my ILX. It works for me. Not saying it's my dream car. But I am enjoying my purchase as I knew what I would be buying.

If you are happy with the power then yes you knew what you were buying. If you are one of those that feel its too slow then you did not know. Telling someone to NOT buy a car they KNOW they enjoy is poor advice. Telling someone to educate themselves before the purchase is far better advice.

Affordable you say? The cars I listed are significantly cheaper than the ILX.

PS. 100k miles isn't impressing anyone.
You clearly aren't catching my drift. STOP COMPARING THE ILX TO THOSE CARS. I am not. Those cars are in another class; NOT luxury.
Compared to the correct class the ILX is cheaper then them all.

And 100k is quite impressive this early. He just posted a thread go tell him how uninteresting it is.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Back on topic: The ILX has a rear suspension issue Honda refuses to fix. End of discussion until they decide to solve it, or never

My ILX doesnt see this issue... knock on wood. Many other ILXs here don't as well. Clearly this issue isn't model wide but isolated to a handful of occurrences and you frankly live near shitty dealers unwilling to work with you.

Azine tag line... move to a better neighborhood.

Quick Reply: ILX suspension noise