Got my ILX... Kinda disappointed.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 04:58 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by snowtrax
Why did you not find all of these things out before you bought it?
The only concern I have with the car right now is the road noise. I highly doubt I could have done more research on that part. The reviews never said how bad it was just that it is still a bit noisy. Considering I spent 2 months and test drove 7 different cars as well as grabbing a friend to test out the back space I think I've done all the research that I can.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:12 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Havazn
There's the problem. Trying to save money is counter-productive to trying to impress girls.

Solution: Take your extra 10G and get some new rims, tires and lower suspension. Upgraded speakers, amp and fibre glass boxed subs.

I drive my ILX to drive. That's the reason I got the 2.4L Manual. I never notice the road noise due to the throaty roar of the engine constantly at 3-4k RPM.

200 HP on a lightweight chassis makes this a dream to drive. Add on some nice features like leather trim, gorgeous designed interior, sunroof, push start, keyless entry, wicked lines, heated seats.

I dont look at Acura like a Tier 2 luxury brand. I look at it like Tier 1 Consumer brand.
The 10k I can spend it on something else such as food. I admit, I want a nice car so I can impress the car. But more importantly is just an image I want to withheld coming from where I live.

Well, if you ask anyone the question: would you put Acura at the same level as Benz, BMW, and Audi the answer would be a resounding no.

Now; this might sound weird that as an owner, I am not defending the car. But the list that you put out such as leather, sunroof, push start etc. is now pretty much a standard add-on feature on all the cars in 2012-2013. I can get all that for about 27k. Now that is 4k to 7k difference depending on what trim you got on this car. So really, you are paying 4k really just for the badge and the reliability. Don't start with the manual driving joy argument. You know 80% of the consumers will not be buying a manual.

Would I pay 4k-7k for the reliability and the image? Well, considering I actually DID buy the car. The answer is yes. However, if you are the type that actually really want luxury and have the money (45k+) to pay for it OR you don't care about badges, I would NOT recommend this car.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:27 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
Infiniti is not a tier 1. They are also a tier 2. I have also owned Infinti, Lexus, and Audi cars. And compared to the Acura iwhich s high on the list vs them and some are tier 1. Worst in tier 2 is bs because I think you are a troll here starting trouble and probably don't own the car.

Sounds like you are also a rude little kid with parents that have a lot or money at your age.
Clearly, you didn't read or failed to understand my "review" and my replies. First of all I said Infiniti is tier 2 not tier 1. Second, my grammar is pretty bad but even I have trouble understand your wording but I think you meant that Acura is high on the list if given the competition is Infiniti and Lexus?

I think a lot of reviewers and Acura owners can agree with me that Acura has fallen behind and can't keep up with the time when compared to the competition. Just looking at the sales of ZDX and the disgusting looking Nav inside of RL and you can tell. The only car so far I think that can rival and get the most value out of the purchase would be the 2013 RDX. Then again, if you are shopping for value, you probably should not be in the luxury segment.

Again, calling me a troll and a rude little kid with parents that have a lot of money just shows how ignorant you are with my posts. Would a troll spend that much time and effort to ACTUALLY reply and care about how the car runs? What part of "I drive a 1998 Corolla" did you not get? If my parents are rich why would I even buy an Acura? Why would I not get a BMW or perhaps a Porsche? Unless your definition of rich is anyone who can drive in there 20s then yes, I am made out of money.

And do you even own an ILX? Cause it sounds to me you own a TL. Just cause you own a brand and enjoy it doesn't mean you have to blindly support it.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:39 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by SMEDLEY2
I test drove a bunch of cars last week before settling on the TL. I agree that the ILX is underpowered with the 2.0 L engine, noisy, and has a sloppy suspension. I understand it was built on the Honda Civic chassis. Despite all the hyped up advertising, the CVT is pretty much a high priced Civic in my opinion. I very much preferred the Nissan Altima with the 2.4 L engine and CVT transmission. It had a much better ride. However, for my money the TL is the best deal in its class today. $41k on the road with a fast 3.5 L engine, tight suspension, and decent noise suppression. Hard to beat.
Hey good on you. I think TL was too big yet the trunk space wasn't that great. As well as the fact that where I am from even with the discount it is 6k more then my Tech line Ilx. I was also worried that TL is disappearing after 2012 and it might somehow affect the image and price when it comes to resell. Again, all just my opinions.

The 2.0 actually doesn't feel that under powered as the reviewers advertised. You want to feel underpowered try a C250. The horse power won't save you from the extra 450lbs when compared to this car.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:35 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
^^FYI, the TL will be around for 2013. it will be morphed into the TL(X) for 2014. honestly, the image of the TL and the resale value...i highly doubt will be affected when the TL(X) comes out. the RSX was discontinued in 2006, yet it seems to be highly valued since dealers resell those cars pretty quickly from what i can tell. the masses really don't care whether a model was discontinued. they see a car that is visually appealing, reliable, is the "pretty" color that they wanted, has the features they want (whether it be functional/utilitarian or tech goodies) and meets their needs. enthusiasts like those that frequent here, view cars differently. 90-95% of people treat their cars like an appliance.

most girls/guys that aren't into cars (which is the majority), won't really care what you are driving, let alone know what you are driving. i'm sure any new car would have been a huge upgrade from your corolla.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:40 AM
Drifting

Received 285 Likes on 245 Posts
Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
tier 1, tier 2...just buy what you want to drive and makes you happy. they all have pluses and minuses, and if you're buying just for a badge...honestly, nobody else is going to care.

http://autoperspectives.com/blog/201...have-a-future/
why's jaguar tier 2?
Old 11-12-2012, 07:53 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

^^i have no idea...i was a little surprised. my impression of tier 1 luxury cars is that the companies are stand alone companies (BMW, MB, Jag). essentially, "old school" while say lexus and audi are probably cracking that "tier 1" barrier, by competing quite well against those "old school" type luxury companies. i'm not entirely sure who the authority is in labeling car companies. i also read that luxury cars are rated tier 1 to tier 3 according to random car blog people.

i thought this was kind of an interesting read from forbes:

http://images.forbes.com/forbesinsig...ook_report.pdf

acura is highlighted on page 4 in terms of their market analysis of the type of people who purchase acuras. i think it was very accurate.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:11 AM
Drifting

Received 285 Likes on 245 Posts
This made me feel proud: Acura buyers are more rational than emotional when
it comes to their car purchases. They have a longer list of requirements than those who buy other brands, and they are looking to get the most value for their money, Poponi
says. “They’re not cheap. They’re smart, savvy, maybe a little smug, looking around at all the research, seeing that they’re the most informed in their product choices.”
Old 11-12-2012, 08:14 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

^^yup. i know exactly what you mean.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:57 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by spdandpwr
it comes to their car purchases. They have a longer list of requirements than those who buy other brands, and they are looking to get the most value for their money, Poponi
says. “They’re not cheap. They’re smart, savvy, maybe a little smug, looking around at all the research, seeing that they’re the most informed in their product choices.”
Haha I think they are right on this one. You can probably tell from all the complainants I made I had a huge checklist that the car had to tick (Push button/Moonroof/Nav/under35k).
Old 11-12-2012, 10:04 AM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
Honestly, I have to applaud DK777. After being the first to jump on him for his "crudeness", I realize that I have felt many of the same feelings towards this car...

BUT, the reason I joined this website was to take comfort in other ILX owners who know that this car is flawed but yet still love it... Lets not judge/blame/attack him on his buyer's remorse or his views of the Acura brand. We, the ILX owners, should try to comfort him and reassure him that he did make a good decision and help alleviate some of this fears/concerns.

I'm sure there are enough outlets in his life telling him he made a rash and stupid decision, maybe we can do better?...
Old 11-21-2012, 11:44 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by rxj27
Honestly, I have to applaud DK777. After being the first to jump on him for his "crudeness", I realize that I have felt many of the same feelings towards this car...

BUT, the reason I joined this website was to take comfort in other ILX owners who know that this car is flawed but yet still love it... Lets not judge/blame/attack him on his buyer's remorse or his views of the Acura brand. We, the ILX owners, should try to comfort him and reassure him that he did make a good decision and help alleviate some of this fears/concerns.

I'm sure there are enough outlets in his life telling him he made a rash and stupid decision, maybe we can do better?...
Thank you. When I have the time, I would be doing a 3 part video review of this car. Hopefully I'll finish it by the end of the year. I don't think it was a rash decision but it is a somewhat stupid one that I didn't trust my extinct nor my friend's.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:25 AM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by spdandpwr
I would tend to agree with this as well.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 202 Posts
Rofl... The fact that you bought a car just based on initial impression just speaks volumes on the so called research you did... The ILX is meant for an older audience that wants into the Acura line and wants a car that is mature rather than the civic... Granted I wouldn't buy one but, by no means is it not a good car.... Keep in mind you are paying for what it takes to make a car last well over 10 years...
You clearly lack the ability to judge what should be reviewed and what shouldn't even matter... Try doing some research and that includes test drives and looking under the hood to figure out what your value points are... Then come up with an informed decision. After driving the ILX for 3 days when my TL was in the shop, I can say that the car is on the pricey side of the scale and I would much rather buy a used TL or TSX but that being said it is a good car that handles well and is built well... It comes with a different image from that of a Civic and that is what you are paying for... If you have a problem with it shop around... And please don't compare the Audi's and BMW's to these cars... If you compare a 2004 TL to a 2004 3 series or Audi A4 it really becomes evident that Acura's a built to last and the styling doesn't get old but the Beamer and Audi fall the fuck apart... This is all from shopping around and driving a number of these cars... Cheap plastics in the German cars would make anyone shelling out all that cash feel hollow at the end of it...
All n all if you want to fix the sound... Invest in some Dynamat... The rest of your issues should have been thought through before dropping the cash...

Last edited by d1sturb3d119; 11-22-2012 at 02:51 AM.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:06 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Vidur Chengappa
Rofl... The fact that you bought a car just based on initial impression just speaks volumes on the so called research you did... The ILX is meant for an older audience that wants into the Acura line and wants a car that is mature rather than the civic... Granted I wouldn't buy one but, by no means is it not a good car.... Keep in mind you are paying for what it takes to make a car last well over 10 years...
You clearly lack the ability to judge what should be reviewed and what shouldn't even matter... Try doing some research and that includes test drives and looking under the hood to figure out what your value points are... Then come up with an informed decision. After driving the ILX for 3 days when my TL was in the shop, I can say that the car is on the pricey side of the scale and I would much rather buy a used TL or TSX but that being said it is a good car that handles well and is built well... It comes with a different image from that of a Civic and that is what you are paying for... If you have a problem with it shop around... And please don't compare the Audi's and BMW's to these cars... If you compare a 2004 TL to a 2004 3 series or Audi A4 it really becomes evident that Acura's a built to last and the styling doesn't get old but the Beamer and Audi fall the fuck apart... This is all from shopping around and driving a number of these cars... Cheap plastics in the German cars would make anyone shelling out all that cash feel hollow at the end of it...
All n all if you want to fix the sound... Invest in some Dynamat... The rest of your issues should have been thought through before dropping the cash...
You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. I test drove every single entry luxury cars out there before I made my purchase. I wanted a car that carries a luxury badge, under 40k, and had enough leg room to carry friends or clients. IS250 is the only one that came close to that price and it clearly did not have enough leg room.

Again, I think you know nothing about cars. E46 is one of the most beloved car and you think it falls apart in style and equipment? What are you smoking? Also, You are comparing a 1998 car to a 2004? A fair comparison indeed. I been in 5 different BMW X3/X5/3 Series E90/3 Series 2012/5 Series 2 different Audi and 8 different Benz. I've also test driven at least 4 different cars in this category and through their different generations. I highly doubt they "fall apart" like you talked about.

I am actually very very glad I didn't end up with a TSX or a TL. They don't have the technology (no push button start and a even more outdated nav) as well as the fact that a TSX and a TL cost 4k-7k more (at least where I am from). The fact that they would also be taken off the market for the new TLX just kind of speak for itself.

So please know what you are talking about before commenting. I really dislike people just talking out of their rear end or a blind zealot for the Acura brand. So far, beside the "Honda" reliability and the fact that they cost much less then most of the other luxury brand, Acura literally has no other advantage over their rivals.

I made this topic really for people who are thinking about purchasing the car and for owners of this particular car. You had ILX for 3 freaking days. I highly doubt you know anything about the car.
The following users liked this post:
cp3117 (11-23-2012)
Old 11-22-2012, 12:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 325 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
^^i have no idea...i was a little surprised. my impression of tier 1 luxury cars is that the companies are stand alone companies (BMW, MB, Jag). essentially, "old school" while say lexus and audi are probably cracking that "tier 1" barrier, by competing quite well against those "old school" type luxury companies. i'm not entirely sure who the authority is in labeling car companies. i also read that luxury cars are rated tier 1 to tier 3 according to random car blog people.

i thought this was kind of an interesting read from forbes:

http://images.forbes.com/forbesinsig...ook_report.pdf

acura is highlighted on page 4 in terms of their market analysis of the type of people who purchase acuras. i think it was very accurate.
I always thought Teir 1 luxury cars were the automakers that didn't re-purpose the chassis for the upperend models. For instance BMW's are built only as BMW's and not repurposed like Honda does to create Acura (ie. TL/Accord TSX/EuroAccord ILX/Civic). I guess everyone has a different system.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by wreak
I always thought Teir 1 luxury cars were the automakers that didn't re-purpose the chassis for the upperend models. For instance BMW's are built only as BMW's and not repurposed like Honda does to create Acura (ie. TL/Accord TSX/EuroAccord ILX/Civic). I guess everyone has a different system.
Indeed, there is no agreed upon definition of "tier 1". I've always gone with the feeling that a "Tier 1" manufacturer is somebody who has mastered the "art" of making you pay more money for less product. Manufacturers that are aspiring to that goal, need to offer "more product for less money".
Old 11-22-2012, 12:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by deathknight777
I really dislike people just talking out of their rear end or a blind zealot for the Acura brand. So far, beside the "Honda" reliability and the fact that they cost much less then most of the other luxury brand, Acura literally has no other advantage over their rivals.
I don't think that there are any "blind Acura zealots" on this forum. However, occasionally I get the feeling that the forum is being infiltrated by "social media experts" from other manufacturers. These people follow a similar posting pattern: say one nice thing about the car, followed by four things they hate about it (that usually follow what the mainstream media has said). Us owners need to keep an eye out for these people.
d1sturb3d119 (11-22-2012)
Old 11-22-2012, 12:59 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by wreak
certainly there seems to be some sort of classification, but it is ill-defined. as i said...stand alone companies (BMW, MB) while the others all have mainstream counterparts that share platforms/parts (honda/acura, nissan/infiniti, toyota/lexus, VW/audi, etc). as with most things, luxury is defined in the eye of the beholder. back in the day remote controls for TVs were a luxury...now its the norm. heaven forbid should we actually have to physically do something ourselves. i actually like turning the key to the ignition over the push button start. it is neat that you can leave the key in your pocket though with push button start. it's not a deal breaker for me.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 362 Likes on 241 Posts
1. It is exactly because of pride. Where I am from, there are only 2 types of people who I can hang out with. Either they are from lower-middle class where they have trouble even getting on the bus to school (Its about $150 US per month for a month pass) or they are so full of money they would think anyone who drives Korean or American are laughable and give you a dirty look (granted, if you drive an Corvette, they might think otherwise LOL). So being a classical middle-class I am stuck either being the envy of people who can't even afford gas or be the laughing stock of a person who drives a 1998 Corolla.

2. I don't get the whole racial slur thing. Is it because of white guilt? Is it wrong for me to call an American car "Yankee" or something? A Jap car is an Japanese car. Whats wrong with that? Btw, I still think Acura is the worst of the tier 2. Luxury car level is pretty subjective but we can all agree that BMW, Audi, Benz are tier 1 and Lexus, Acura, and Infiniti are tier 2. Acura in its current shape right now can't hope to fight against Lexus or Infiniti. Pretty sure we can all agree on that.

3. Yes, if right now 10g fell from the sky and Acura calls me and says "can you give us back the car and we going to give you back full refund" I would say HELL YEAH

Thank you for the welcome. At least you are an owner
So what happens if the parts are from Japan but it's assembled in the United States? Also, kudos to you for giving the Acura brand a shot, even if you were skeptical about where it was placed in "tiers". I still would've broken family tradition to get into something a littler higher in your beforementioned "tiers".
Old 11-22-2012, 09:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Talking

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. I test drove every single entry luxury cars out there before I made my purchase. I wanted a car that carries a luxury badge, under 40k, and had enough leg room to carry friends or clients. IS250 is the only one that came close to that price and it clearly did not have enough leg room.

Again, I think you know nothing about cars. E46 is one of the most beloved car and you think it falls apart in style and equipment? What are you smoking? Also, You are comparing a 1998 car to a 2004? A fair comparison indeed. I been in 5 different BMW X3/X5/3 Series E90/3 Series 2012/5 Series 2 different Audi and 8 different Benz. I've also test driven at least 4 different cars in this category and through their different generations. I highly doubt they "fall apart" like you talked about.

I am actually very very glad I didn't end up with a TSX or a TL. They don't have the technology (no push button start and a even more outdated nav) as well as the fact that a TSX and a TL cost 4k-7k more (at least where I am from). The fact that they would also be taken off the market for the new TLX just kind of speak for itself.

So please know what you are talking about before commenting. I really dislike people just talking out of their rear end or a blind zealot for the Acura brand. So far, beside the "Honda" reliability and the fact that they cost much less then most of the other luxury brand, Acura literally has no other advantage over their rivals.

I made this topic really for people who are thinking about purchasing the car and for owners of this particular car. You had ILX for 3 freaking days. I highly doubt you know anything about the car.

Lol okay buddy if you say so. Yes for someone who's been driving and working on cars since I was 9 I'd say 3 days is enough for me to get the gist of it... What 1998 car are you talking about? I compared no car from that year..
Also you said that you highly doubt they fall apart... Again an opinion which you are free to have but the FACT is that they aren't built like the were back in the day... This is coming from a person that works on these cars as a hobby. I've worked on VW's, BMW's, Acura's and Honda's and the fact is that the German counterparts do see a lot more failure under the most conservative conditions.
The early 90 had some fantastic German cars... They started turning to crap later on. I don't know about you but I prefer to buy a car that lasts for years and years and allows me the choice of whether to switch cars or not without quitting on me, thus forcing me to do so... They are starting to get better now but I still enjoy the innovation that the Japanese bring to the table.

At the end of all of this I understand your motivation for starting this thread and applaud you for finding to courage to mention your problems with this car especially since you ended up making a big decision like this based on a 20 minute test drive. So please don't question my understanding of cars and purchase habits with regard to cars cause I'm not the one complaining about how I don't like my car or how I'd like to get a refund from Acura... Go to the BMW dealership and trade it in then... I'm sure they'd appreciate your brand loyalty... Good luck with that...

Last edited by d1sturb3d119; 11-22-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 325 Likes on 214 Posts
Just a small note for deathknight777, the TL does actually have a push button start, you just have to add the tech package to get it.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:10 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts

Too funny because the TL is far from out dated. It actually in 2009 had features that many luxury cars didnt. And even now, the 2012 has updated NAVI features that the 09-11 didn't have. Yep, push button start has been around for a while now.

Seems to me that you may not even own a ILX and I think you are a troll causing issues.
d1sturb3d119 (11-22-2012)
Old 11-23-2012, 07:22 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Colin
I don't think that there are any "blind Acura zealots" on this forum. However, occasionally I get the feeling that the forum is being infiltrated by "social media experts" from other manufacturers. These people follow a similar posting pattern: say one nice thing about the car, followed by four things they hate about it (that usually follow what the mainstream media has said). Us owners need to keep an eye out for these people.
So Acura owners' can't take criticism? Wow, way to welcome new owners ! The moment someone doesn't like the "brand" the owners here seem to take a such a defensive stance... What are you? 3? I really wish people can read what I said BEFORE making a comment. There was a few people who made valid and constructive feed back such as the lack of a memory seat or lack of horse power. Two things that actually didn't bother me at all about this particular. If I wanted to rip on this car I would have just copy and pasted reviews that are surface on the internet.
nothome17 (01-16-2013)
Old 11-23-2012, 07:27 AM
Advanced

Too funny because the TL is far from out dated. It actually in 2009 had features that many luxury cars didnt. And even now, the 2012 has updated NAVI features that the 09-11 didn't have. Yep, push button start has been around for a while now.

Seems to me that you may not even own a ILX and I think you are a troll causing issues.
Yeah I totally love to troll on car brand that I didn't buy just to make Ilx sell at little less *roll eyes* The layout on TL and TSX is outdated IMO. You have yours I have mine. The push button is being out since 1999 by Benz. However, on the TL you have to pretty much get a package in order to get that. Even with $6500 cash discount it was still more expensive. Again, I don't understand why so many TL owners are talking in the ILX forum. Unless you also own an ILX or know someone who personally owns one you don't know jack about the car.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:12 AM
Safety Car

You crack me up. Benz only the AMG models had Push Button start back then, and actually Honda S2000 was the first car to ever have it which btw is the same manufacture as Acura.

You continue to say the TL is outdated when it has been out since 09 and due for redesign for 2014. Your ILX is NEW and has a slightly newer updated NAVI, and not really a LUXURY car, it's a entry level economy car into the luxury department. Basically it's a nice Civic EX-L which we own btw but with an Acura badge.

The TL comes with way more technology than your ILX does, and MOST other cars. The IS350 doesn't have near the technology the TL has, the ES350 neither. BMW 3 series doesn't unless you push them up into the 50k range. Whats even more funny is BMW didn't even have bluetooth till the last couple of years. Where Acura had it in 2004. I could continue but you need to do more research.
d1sturb3d119 (11-23-2012)
Old 11-23-2012, 11:04 AM
Burning Brakes

You crack me up. Benz only the AMG models had Push Button start back then, and actually Honda S2000 was the first car to ever have it which btw is the same manufacture as Acura.

You continue to say the TL is outdated when it has been out since 09 and due for redesign for 2014. Your ILX is NEW and has a slightly newer updated NAVI, and not really a LUXURY car, it's a entry level economy car into the luxury department. Basically it's a nice Civic EX-L which we own btw but with an Acura badge.

The TL comes with way more technology than your ILX does, and MOST other cars. The IS350 doesn't have near the technology the TL has, the ES350 neither. BMW 3 series doesn't unless you push them up into the 50k range. Whats even more funny is BMW didn't even have bluetooth till the last couple of years. Where Acura had it in 2004. I could continue but you need to do more research.
Also any of the features you find as standard on the TL comes as an option on the BMW, like the winter package... Didn't know heated seats were an option on a "Premium brand" like BMW... This dude really does need to do his reading... Feels like a troll to me! And the cherry on the cake is that 'we don't know what we're talking about' since we own other models and not the ILX... Most of the members here come onto this forum cause they work on their cars, modify their cars or read about where they can get the best savings... These are people that enjoy CARS, not particular brands and also understand cars since a lot of us read up on different cars extensively as a hobby not purely as a research tool. The so called research you did and you're feelings leading up-to your 20 minute spur of the moment cash purchase is the sign of a newbie car buyer... Instead of discrediting everyone here, LEARN. You may end up with a different brand of car very soon but at least you would have made an educated choice... Don't argue about how you feel Acura is sub-par... If that is the case you shouldn't have bought the car to begin with...
Old 11-23-2012, 02:52 PM
Suzuka Master

So Acura owners' can't take criticism? Wow, way to welcome new owners ! The moment someone doesn't like the "brand" the owners here seem to take a such a defensive stance... What are you? 3? I really wish people can read what I said BEFORE making a comment. There was a few people who made valid and constructive feed back such as the lack of a memory seat or lack of horse power. Two things that actually didn't bother me at all about this particular. If I wanted to rip on this car I would have just copy and pasted reviews that are surface on the internet.
I read very well for a three-year-old. I can even read between the lines.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:30 PM
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 371 Posts
I cant believe you bought a car brand that you don't like for the badge...pretty pathetic...Sell the damn thing then...you did lose thousands as soon as you drove off the lot..Thats the way it works
d1sturb3d119 (11-23-2012)
Old 11-24-2012, 10:50 AM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
I read very well for a three-year-old. I can even read between the lines.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:50 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The OP said earlier in the tread that he didn't like the TL because it was too big but was considering the Nissan Altima which is just as big. That didn't make sense.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:05 PM
Safety Car

The Altima is actually a little bigger now.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:35 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The Altima is actually a little bigger now.
Yep.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:46 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agreed, but some can be fixed

I agree with you on most of this. I don't think you are asking too much when there are things missing on the ILX that my 2006 TSX had:
1. power passenger's seat
2. signals on the mirrors
3. overhead sunglass holder
4. dual exhaust

I would like to say though, that the ELS is really great, but needs adjustment. I recently noticed that the menu for the sound setup has many more options than basic bass, treble, fade, and balance. If you adjust those and the other parts that you find when scrolling down, then the sound is great! While this car doesn't "wow" me, it is the only one that I found that came close. BMW and Mercedes are too expensive for much less tech, Lexus is made by a company that I hate, sorry, I know you had a Corolla, and Infiniti is made by Nissan. In reference to your Altima comments, my mom has had one for a few years now and it has always had problems. She bought the top of the line. The Bose speakers quit in the back after two years, the moonroof would not close at one time, and the preset channels on the radio would not stay set. In addition, the car has died multiple times while going down the road. I never had any issues on my TSX or Honda Accord Coupe before. I see the new ILX as the first gen TSX reincarnation. The current TSX looks outdated, bloated, and bland. The previous TSX had none of these issues and was at the same price point as the ILX when new. The style of the ILX is very conservatively sophisticated. I am sure you will learn to love your ILX, but I agree, some things are unforgivable.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 127 Likes on 92 Posts
Features I see coming to the ILX in '14:
Turn Signal Mirrors
Revised suspension/steering
HomeLink (in every model)

Things I want:
Rear-exit exhaust
Thicker glass
TSBs for current 1st year/1st gen issues

DeathKnight, you're seeing everyone as blind "Acura-Zealots" because you're attacking multiple cars within the brand on a brand oriented website. You can't argue about the TL, then have TL owners respond, and then say they don't know anything about the ILX because they own TLs... They have valid opinions and frankly, you're arguing a contradiction.. what do you know about the TL if you don't own one?

I believe the ILX is a good car, I don't take it personally if someone else doesn't like it just like I don't expect TL owners to get upset if I say I don't like the TL's styling.. why do they care? They obviously like it. All I am saying is, like I have said before, you need to re purpose your arguments and only provoke the debates you actually want to have.

You can't tell someone what the "value" is to him.. "value" is subjective.. Where you say "reliability and price" aren't the key "value"s.. I say that's EXACTLY why I am attracted to Acura.. I like having all the amenities, but I know Honda's track record.. That's the "value" to me.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:12 PM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Audi is consider Tier 1 where I am from. Actually, they cost the most for their base model (38k vs BMW and Benz 37k). Of course, Audi is more bang for your buck here (Moonroof included etc).

TL is far to big and even with the 6.5k discount we are getting here it is still well over 40k. I checked the TSX. Same crappy head room and the interface... My god... Its like my friend's 2008 Accord Coupe... A button-philic's nirvana. Ilx is bad enough so no thanks lol.

Girls here care about 2 things: Heat and Badge. Girls hate the cold winter and they want a good badge on the car (if they know enough).
I just read this post. DeathKnight777, you sound ridiculous. We've got a 2009 TSX (loaded, 6MT with aero kit) and a 2013 ILX. Both great cars.

The ILX is great for what it is. You wish it was something else. You sound like my friends back in university "Awww man, I wish, I could get a Lambo for $25,000"

No one held a gun to your head and forced you to buy an ILX. If girls in your hood care about heat + badge, why didn't you just buy something used -- or -- And Audi A3?

Smarten up / get a spell/grammar check app.

Thanks!

ps. Heat? Where do you live? Crackton. All cars have heat.

Last edited by speedracer_2020; 01-12-2013 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:03 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I own a 2010 TL SH-AWD and before that, a 2007 TL-S 6MT. I considered trading my TL-S for an ILX, but after seeing it and sitting in it, i'm glad i didnt. I didnt need a test drive to know it wasnt for me. Last week, I got the pleasure of driving a 2013 ILX for a service loaner and I was very disappointed in the car. The leather felt cheap, the buttons felt cheap, the display was basic, the trunk was small, and the system was horrible. When I looked at the sticker for the car, the dealer wanted $28K for a car that also doesnt have XM Radio, Nav, Heated Seats, memory seats, and a decent sound system. I also have to defend the ELS Sound system, at least for my 07 TL-S and my current car, as that system has been held in high regards, won many awards, and considered a competitor amoung many of the "factory" available systems on any car to include Ifiniti, BMW, MB, and others. I only had the ILX for about 5 hours, and I thought, "Why would Acura even build this and get rid of the 4 cylinder TSX?!" The answer is to get people that fit a certain class or price range into the brand and eventually move them up into a higher end Acura. You, my friend, bought into the brand. All in all I've read your opinions and concerns, and almost everyone has ripped into you for sounding a bit "higher than mighty" for your purchase, but you here are some life lessons you can learn:1) You can't buy anything without doing the research, which means making sure the car fits your lifestyle not what Edmunds or MotorTrend or anyones else states as an opinion2) You certainly shouldn't by anything you absolutely HATE as you'll never be satisfied3) Buying something to impress someone else always leads down the wrong road because a nice anything can only cover up your personality for about 30 seconds and usually thats all you get for a first impression4) Most importantly, if you hate the car so much, trade the thing in and dont ever buy a Honda or an Acura again. As a matter of fact if you hate something then dont ever put it on your list of options because if you buy into it, no one feels bad for you.5) If you can't afford to trade the car in, then fix it up: Put some rims, tint, whatever makes you happy and shows your personality.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 229 Posts
Not sure why you would be comparing an ILX to a TL not really in the same ball park unless maybe you are looking for something smaller and much better on gas than a TL. Or maybe you want a back seat that can fold down for longer loads and I wouldn't exactly say the TL has a large trunk either.

You drove it for 5 hrs and couldn't see the XM button on the radio or the heated seat switches on the console? While there are not a lot of bells and whistles on the Premium model you were driving the basics are there and I agree the sound system is not top class but it is passable. Maybe you should have driven the 2.4 6mt it makes it quite a different ride.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:44 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wasnt so much comparing because it's apples and oranges. I was just over my TL-S and wanted something new. Acura hyped (in my opinion over-hyped) the ILX so much and it was a total disappointment (in my opinion). Like i said it was a loaner car so you really get what the dealer gives you unless what you request is there. Personally, I would've also wanted the navigation and the 2.4 doesnt even offer that so that would take me back to the 2.0 which would be a foolish move on my end so that ended that transaction. After i got over the hype the ILX was a non issue.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:27 PM
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts
FYI deathknight777 - Criticism on Acura is a bad word here on Acurazine. Sometimes I think it's Acura's PR is in this forum.

To be honest with you, I don't own an ILX but just trolling to see if the ILX was trashed from the Acura line up yet. ahahah LOL. JOKES.. Currently own a 2008 TL-S and have had other Acura models. I was in the market for an ILX and did some research and decided not to pull the gun. To me the ILX is ugly (subjective) and not worth the money. A good car if it replaced the Integra or whatever they called in it Canada.

Don't you know why the called it I.L.X Illegitimate Lil eX-civic

Last edited by nothome17; 01-16-2013 at 02:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Got my ILX... Kinda disappointed.