Exhaust Modification DIY (large pics).

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 08:35 AM
Drifting

Received 285 Likes on 245 Posts
Great work! Haha, now I gotta determine what I'm going to do.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 470 Likes on 200 Posts
As requested.

And for anyone else doing dual exhaust that may have wanted to see a un-modded bumper with he black trim.

Can't wait to see everything being put together! So glad I could help.
The following 3 users liked this post by Timmy18:
chinoxii (05-21-2013), JMJ3rd (07-08-2013), Trentimus (05-17-2013)
Old 05-20-2013, 10:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 127 Likes on 92 Posts
I have decided.. Ordered a 4" rolled tip. Cutting will commence the weekend after it's arrival. Still debating on the size/shape of the cut. I think for a sharp look I am going to cut the shape of the bumper's inner shield with about .5" of excess trim to line a trim gaurd along. That will help it pop a bit more. Thanks again for inspiring this mod.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:25 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Timmy18
As requested.

And for anyone else doing dual exhaust that may have wanted to see a un-modded bumper with he black trim.

Can't wait to see everything being put together! So glad I could help.
DAMN! Thanks Timmy! This is definitely a 'must' on my list.
The following users liked this post:
Timmy18 (05-21-2013)
Old 05-21-2013, 07:26 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Trentimus
I have decided.. Ordered a 4" rolled tip. Cutting will commence the weekend after it's arrival. Still debating on the size/shape of the cut. I think for a sharp look I am going to cut the shape of the bumper's inner shield with about .5" of excess trim to line a trim gaurd along. That will help it pop a bit more. Thanks again for inspiring this mod.
Go Trent! This will go viral in ILX community.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:24 AM
Drifting

found a really cheap shop thats willing to cut my bumper
Old 05-21-2013, 09:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by spdandpwr
found a really cheap shop thats willing to cut my bumper
Welcome back to the fold! Should I do a DIY? W/ how-to on measuring what kind of cut you want?
Old 05-21-2013, 09:38 AM
Drifting

Yea, definitely.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:24 AM
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
You guys are making me mad that I have to wait until the 13th of June to have mine done.

Dual exhaust cut outs and the bumper painted trim black. I have the tips sitting in the garage just crying to be welded on haha.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:29 AM
Drifting

^mine won't happen THAT soon.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:41 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Switt23
You guys are making me mad that I have to wait until the 13th of June to have mine done.

Dual exhaust cut outs and the bumper painted trim black. I have the tips sitting in the garage just crying to be welded on haha.
You're doing duals so that's worth the wait.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
None of these cars are leased correct?

I will say I have similar plans but at the same time different. I wont go for a conventional exhaust look. Either dual or quad. As the simplest id go quad set up like many audis and do by the center black... but it needs the rear valance for the painted black center.
Side exit maybe.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:57 PM
Drifting

Mine's leased...stupid I know, but I plan on returning it with the Si catback, if I decide to move on...which likely won't happen because this car is all I'll ever need, I think.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

I am purchasing my car. No lease here. Dual exhaust would be good. But, Jon you plan to go air bags at some point, side exit would probably have clearance issues
Old 05-21-2013, 03:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Just know acura will destroy you on fees if you return it.
And if you take it in for service there is nod hiding a cut up bumper... regardless of how great it looks.
Theyll charge you for the new bumper... easily 400 plus labor.
Only reason ive not gone crazy yet. lol
Old 05-21-2013, 03:09 PM
Suzuka Master

I am purchasing my car. No lease here. Dual exhaust would be good. But, Jon you plan to go air bags at some point, side exit would probably have clearance issues
Not if done correctly.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:29 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by usdmJON
Just know acura will destroy you on fees if you return it.
And if you take it in for service there is nod hiding a cut up bumper... regardless of how great it looks.
Theyll charge you for the new bumper... easily 400 plus labor.
Only reason ive not gone crazy yet. lol
Yea, I'm not worried about that. I can get a new bumper, if need be.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Yea, I'm not worried about that. I can get a new bumper, if need be.
But won't they make you return the car to stock and then try and get you for some type of property damage or something? Kind of like a Land lord and Renter type- deal? I'm not but 16 so I don't fully understand leasing yet. All I know id that it's not the best way to do things unless you really like alot of cars and want to own the all at least once. Other than that, its not too financially healthy or stable, plus the limiting factors you can do with the car.

I've always like buying things right then, not lease/ rent to own BS.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:36 PM
Drifting

But won't they make you return the car to stock and then try and get you for some type of property damage or something? Kind of like a Land lord and Renter type- deal? I'm not but 16 so I don't fully understand leasing yet. All I know id that it's not the best way to do things unless you really like alot of cars and want to own the all at least once. Other than that, its not too financially healthy or stable, plus the limiting factors you can do with the car.

I've always like buying things right then, not lease/ rent to own BS.
Fortunately, I've never had an issue that I've leased.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:57 PM
Burning Brakes

I still wouldn't risk it. Never know, dealers are always up to doing something twisted. I don't like taking our TSX in the Service at Acura. I feel more comfortable going to Honda then the actual Acura dealer.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Timmy you are correct. It is a risk to mod a leased car.
People do do it all the time... at their own risk.
I had acura tint my rear windows but technically I wasnt allowed to tint the front myself. I will have to take the tint off if I choose to trade the car in. If not they will hit me with fees similar to their labor to take the tint off. They just want the car the way they handed it to you.

Also an accident and cause a dealer to claim a mod was at fault. That would void the warranty and leave you to pick up the damages and possible even hurt your credit.

That being said. I have no issues throwing an intake on. But a suspension can easily be blamed for an accident so im iffy about that.

Even an intake they could lay blame for a problem internally with the motor or even tranny. All depends on how extensive the mods are and your relationship with the dealer.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Timmy you are correct. It is a risk to mod a leased car.
People do do it all the time... at their own risk.
I had acura tint my rear windows but technically I wasnt allowed to tint the front myself. I will have to take the tint off if I choose to trade the car in. If not they will hit me with fees similar to their labor to take the tint off. They just want the car the way they handed it to you.

Also an accident and cause a dealer to claim a mod was at fault. That would void the warranty and leave you to pick up the damages and possible even hurt your credit.

That being said. I have no issues throwing an intake on. But a suspension can easily be blamed for an accident so im iffy about that.

Even an intake they could lay blame for a problem internally with the motor or even tranny. All depends on how extensive the mods are and your relationship with the dealer.
Totally agree to that.

I wonder how they will feel if we put a HFP Suspension on the ILX. Probably just the same if it was another companies, despite it being built for the same platform just because the badging isn't the same. Some dealers might even try to tell us the ILX is not shared with the Civic platform. Ha.

I will never go with a lease unless the car came form factory pretty much perfect.

now on the other hand. some dealers are allowing RonJon and CT engineering to mod the cars and sit them in their show room. That's the kind of dealers I like! haha.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:36 PM
Racer

I think you are paranoid, with all do respect. Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prevents any dealership from voiding warranty on a vehicle without reasonable proof that the part caused the failure.

If the dealership pushes and says they won't warranty the car, you may contact the FTC (Federal Trade Commision) at 1-877-382-4357 to file a complaint against the dealership.

Mines a lease, but I have 100% intentions on purchasing the car back once the lease is over. Either way, the owner of the local Acura dealer likes the cars "done up" a little anyways as it tends to draw in more attention from the high school crowd. I live in a wealthy part of the world.. unfortunately my city has the most millionares per capita... meaning kiddo wants, daddy pays for it.

Last edited by Switt23; 05-21-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:40 PM
Racer

I will never go with a lease unless the car came form factory pretty much perfect.

now on the other hand. some dealers are allowing RonJon and CT engineering to mod the cars and sit them in their show room. That's the kind of dealers I like! haha.
There comes a time in your life when it's practical however to lease a vehicle. I turn 26 on thursday and having kids are right around the corner. I plan on having a single child, but twins falls in the genetic strand. I am a twin, my father in law is a twin and my uncles are twins. I don't have kids yet, but if I do have twins, I will need a bigger vehicle. By leasing the vehicle it allows me to minimize the amount of loss on the vehicle by not being impacted by reduced value of the vehicle. I basically break even, but i'm not upside down like you would normally be when selling a high end car after 2 years of ownership. (Unless you put a ton of money down)
Old 05-21-2013, 06:11 PM
Suzuka Master

You think im paranoid? Ive already gone against my own warranty with little mods. I plan on getting an intake once I make up my mind as well as a few other bolt ons so dont judge so quickly.
Just giving real advice instead of telling someone to go for it and seeing their warranty voided.

Simple bolts are id have no problem doing under warranty. Suspension is a different matter because it takes far longer to uninstall if you want to and just about ANY accident can be blamed on a faulty suspension. I may even install coilovers still but its something worth thinking about instead of writing off that it wont happen to you.

I hear from the bmw heads they tune leased bmws all day everyday. For a younger person with their first lease that may not buy ideal parts everytime. Going slow is never a bad thing

Im 25 and a lease was the perfect route for me. I also plan on financing it after my 36 months is up.
Before then itll have intake downpipe exhaust some bracing pieces. Rear sway. Wheels. Few cosmetics and probably a set of coilovers.
Once its being financed and I feel like I own it more ill go my air ride route. Get some aggressive wheel and pull the shit out of my fenders. Extensive exhaust work and lighting that I plan to fab myself. Im so happy to own a brand new car and a decent vip platform as well. Not a big body but good enough for me.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:14 PM
Burning Brakes

There comes a time in your life when it's practical however to lease a vehicle. I turn 26 on thursday and having kids are right around the corner. I plan on having a single child, but twins falls in the genetic strand. I am a twin, my father in law is a twin and my uncles are twins. I don't have kids yet, but if I do have twins, I will need a bigger vehicle. By leasing the vehicle it allows me to minimize the amount of loss on the vehicle by not being impacted by reduced value of the vehicle. I basically break even, but i'm not upside down like you would normally be when selling a high end car after 2 years of ownership. (Unless you put a ton of money down)
That's a good point, and I've looked at it that way before. But me at 16, having kids!? Ha.. no. So that's why i didn't really focus on it any more. Plus this isn't the thread to get into too much detail about Leasing and Financing. Oops.

Happy early Birthday!
Old 05-21-2013, 06:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Say if you own the ilx for 2 years and find payments are too hard to make but you dont want to trade in because your afraid the car has lost value or you have deteriorated it by driving ovet the designated miles or a some slight body damage. With a leased car if you trade with acura theyll wave a certain amount of milrs and damage. Your also less likely to be in a negative state when you go to trade in if you do.

These are all ifs and whens. Even though I plan to keep my ilx knowing that is a huge burden released in my opinion.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Say if you own the ilx for 2 years and find payments are too hard to make but you dont want to trade in because your afraid the car has lost value or you have deteriorated it by driving ovet the designated miles or a some slight body damage. With a leased car if you trade with acura theyll wave a certain amount of milrs and damage. Your also less likely to be in a negative state when you go to trade in if you do.

These are all ifs and whens. Even though I plan to keep my ilx knowing that is a huge burden released in my opinion.
Idk.. I feel like if I want a new car and can afford it, then I'll buy it then and make payments. That's if I'm financially ready and willing. If I'm not then I'd either suck it up and keep driving what I drive now.

Now if I was really desperate, and the car didn't need much modification for me to be comfortable in owning it (Unlike the ILX's current state), then yeah sure, I'll lease it and buy it later. But my chances of doing that are really slim. I don't ever see my self buying a brand new car unless its priced right and is a all around 'perfect' car for me. And since we are talking about Honda and Acura products, I have no issues buying them used unless there is obvious reasons not to. But you are right, the ILX is a huge bargain. Cheap, Widely supported (or to-be supported), doesn't look too bad, reliability, good Brand/ Parent Company, safe, efficient ect. Plus its the right amount of DIY and factory so I see the up's to leasing then buying one. Same for if your going to have to get a bigger car later, but for now only want/ need something small and efficient.

IDk. again I'm so far away from doing any of that right now. But for you guys that are modding under lease, I wish you luck!

Btw. If you mod under lease and the dealer gets mad at you, do you HAVE to pay the fees if your buying the car?
Old 05-21-2013, 07:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

I know y'all are discussing away but all my parts (muffler, resonator, tip and matte black trim gaurd) are gonna be here Friday. Too bad my bday is the 25th
Old 05-21-2013, 08:03 PM
Everyday I'm rofling

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Quad exhaust looks sweeeeeet! Dual exhaust looks really good too. Glad to see you guys are making some good progress with the ilx.
The following 2 users liked this post by opboarding:
Timmy18 (05-21-2013), Trentimus (05-21-2013)
Old 05-21-2013, 08:19 PM
Burning Brakes

I know y'all are discussing away but all my parts (muffler, resonator, tip and matte black trim gaurd) are gonna be here Friday. Too bad my bday is the 25th
Sweeeet. Gonna make a thread with progress pics? haha.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Trim guard? Like... the polished trim?
Old 05-21-2013, 09:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Trim guard? Like... the polished trim?
It's like a flexible matte black trim. Kinda like

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=151046120370

Except an L trim and matted black, just to trim the edge and give it some accent.. (Also should stop any possible paint chipping long term) if it ends up not looking good ill just cover the cut parts with touch up paint

Last edited by Trentimus; 05-21-2013 at 09:58 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:30 AM
Drifting

yea, you need a build thread, trent.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

yea, you need a build thread, trent.
It's just so much work and I don't actually see that too many would really appreciate the time it takes to upload all the photos lol
Old 05-22-2013, 11:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Don't make me call you're ass out. Post some build threads or it didn't happen.
You've got the time Mr 57% activity.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:14 AM
Racer

Haha 57%, wow!

I will post pictures once mine are done, but I won't be posting a DIY unless you guys don't know how to write a check or hit the ATM.

Too shaky of hands for me to start cutting.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:24 AM
Drifting

haha, yea buddy...you tell him!!! How is the activity calculated? And wtf, how come mine is lower than his!!!????
Old 05-22-2013, 12:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

haha, yea buddy...you tell him!!! How is the activity calculated? And wtf, how come mine is lower than his!!!????
Lol I lurk more than you do..

Haha 57%, wow!

I will post pictures once mine are done, but I won't be posting a DIY unless you guys don't know how to write a check or hit the ATM.

Too shaky of hands for me to start cutting.
It's just doing a DIY makes it take 2x as long to do the cutting and 2x as long to post the results

Lol, fine.. Question is.. How-to measure included?
Old 05-22-2013, 01:46 PM
Racer

Have the girlfriend/boyfriend/wife/hubby take the pictures for you while you hack away at it.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Modification DIY (large pics).