Exhaust Modification DIY (large pics).

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 09:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 127 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by spdandpwr
You guys are making this seem like it's a tough endeavor. Wondering if a body shop will be a good place to go take the car
Well I am asking for advice but it took me like 10 minutes to come up with those sketches and measurements. I am a perfectionist.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:03 AM
Cruisin'

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Awesome post, I think ill give it a shot in putting dual exhaust on my ILX. I have been looking at the spaces and seeing what angle and best route would be. Anyone have any input on using a tsx swap?
Old 05-03-2013, 11:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fjreyes17
Awesome post, I think ill give it a shot in putting dual exhaust on my ILX. I have been looking at the spaces and seeing what angle and best route would be. Anyone have any input on using a tsx swap?
My input is that there would be so much cutom work that it wouldn't be worth buying a TSX exhaust.. unless you just want the mufflers and make your own piping.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:12 PM
Drifting

Received 223 Likes on 195 Posts
LOL, that TSX swap idea is bad. You can always go custom for sure, but why bother making a single outlet to a dual outlet? That's like making a civic have dual mufflers.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:25 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 20,014 Likes on 14,518 Posts
Not everyone knows the ILX is a 4 cylinder though

Love the pioneers on here...keep it coming.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by spdandpwr
You guys are making this seem like it's a tough endeavor. Wondering if a body shop will be a good place to go take the car
LOL Let's see your exhaust then sir.

Seems like these guys want to do the work themselves instead of taking it to a shop and paying for work. A shop would probably do a great job but a lot of shops probably wont care to attempt to cut a hole out of your bumper. You'll have to go to less reputable ones without corporate stock holders to say "THAT ISNT STOCK!!!"

Things are looking great guys. Thanks for the inspiration!
The following users liked this post:
Trentimus (05-04-2013)
Old 05-05-2013, 08:17 PM
Drifting

Received 285 Likes on 245 Posts
Originally Posted by usdmJON
LOL Let's see your exhaust then sir.

Seems like these guys want to do the work themselves instead of taking it to a shop and paying for work. A shop would probably do a great job but a lot of shops probably wont care to attempt to cut a hole out of your bumper. You'll have to go to less reputable ones without corporate stock holders to say "THAT ISNT STOCK!!!"

Things are looking great guys. Thanks for the inspiration!
whenever I DIY, it always turns out bad...don't know why, but I've never been good at home projects.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:26 AM
Cruisin'

Not trying to start any fires here lol. Chill guys, this is a forum for both original and certified part mods. I was under the impression that we all share a common goal...performance, power, headturn'n, building and exploring the ILX. Now that being said, yes I am speaking of a TSX swap but i currently own a tsx, and like "usdmJON" says im going custom. Im going for looks and performance so ill be experimenting. My brother welds and is certified, so we have all the time. A TSX replica and ill test out different builds and of course post updates.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

I don't think anyone was against your idea of wanting duals.. It's just the layout of the TSX exhaust would be useless to you. The piping would need to be all new and in take different paths.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:49 AM
Cruisin'

I see where that is a red flag, but im just brain storming. The feed back is always useful, ill build a blue print and see what i come up with. Its not like im just gunna add another pipe just for looks lol, though i dont see why that wouldnt be a good idea either, but there goes another quick idea =|
Old 05-11-2013, 12:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fjreyes17
I see where that is a red flag, but im just brain storming. The feed back is always useful, ill build a blue print and see what i come up with. Its not like im just gunna add another pipe just for looks lol, though i dont see why that wouldnt be a good idea either, but there goes another quick idea =|
The stock exhaust channel actually goes all the way to the resonator.. When I was installing my Sway Bar I actually took apart the rear underbody diffuser.. Where the exhaust loops through the rear suspension you could actually branch a pipe off to the opposite side into a muffler.. Now keep in mind I don't know how the rattling and such would be affected AND the rear diffuser piece adds stability to the bumper so I think it would actually flex when wind catches it.

*because that plastic underbody piece would not be useable with dual exhaust for obvious reasons.

Last edited by Trentimus; 05-11-2013 at 12:55 AM.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:09 AM
Cruisin'

++++Awesome++++ thanks i will definately keep that in mind, adding some support hooks will be incorporated along with some heat shield. I wont try anything untill i have the layout, give everyone a chance to have some input and ideas.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:38 AM
Drifting

Received 223 Likes on 195 Posts

you got the time, DO ITTTTTT
Old 05-11-2013, 10:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 470 Likes on 200 Posts
I'm still thinking that the 1st generation Acura RDX is the way to go for dual exits. It has one inlet on one side and then to outlets on either side.

The RDX's inlet is on the right side, the same side the ILX's muffler is originally. The Neon's is on the left. I have no idea what these mufflers are called, I've even searched for it, but I'm just gonna call them 1-2 side ways mufflers. haha.

The muffler in this picture is sitting upside down so the metal is scratched. The inlet is on the right side.

RDX's exhaust diagram. The only parts you will need is from #12 and back.

Neon styled muffler:

The RDX's muffler will need some work and fabrication to get it to fit just right.

1.) The inlet on the RDX's muffler is raised upward. You would need to cut that off and rout custom piping to it.
2.) The muffler its self may be a little on the big side, and not sit flush against the ILX's under body, behind the rear bumper, making it hang awkwardly. To get around this, either cut the muffler to proportion, or go out and buy a smaller, single inlet, dual exit muffler and us it with the RDX's outlets.
3.) The outlets. You would have to cut the bumper on both side for the dual outlets to show of course, but you have to be really careful about how even they are, and how far apart/ angled they are from each other.
4.) Noise. The ILX is already loud. This can either help or not. Probably not.

Now that's one way behind the rear axles.
Another way would be to go with what Trentimus said about the exhaust having room to branch off to the other side. With this you could have alot more limited space. And you also run the risks of the additional piping rubbing, burning things when the suspension travels.

The TSX idea is kinda wrongful IMO. Its not design nearly enough for the ILX. Its longer, wider and the Y splitting piece is right in the middle (I believe). Ig or 2G RDX exhaust is probably the way to go for use of OEM parts. I think custom would be slightly better for fit and finish however.

I'd try out a RDX muffler first to see how well it looks and fits before doing anything major. After I or we know it looks good and fits, go ahead and remove the rear bumper, set up your mounting points, slap on some heat shielding, mount the muffler, and begin to work the piping if able or needed. When time comes for re installing the rear bumper is when you cut it -if the outlets look right and will fit. You should be able to eyeball where the outlets will be and from there you should mark your spots as evenly and on center as possible. Now take your cut out templates (multiple printed out) and trace/ cut through them. As you cut through them the outlets should be able to start to push the cut pieces toward you and the bumper should be able to start to rest back toward the rest of the car. Do this for the other side. Once completed attach the bumper completely and insure fitment is good. Now go back tot he cut outs and trim the edges and apply touch up paint/ fire retardant to the exposed edges and surrounding area. *implying that your happy with the finished product, and you cut correctly so everything is even* you can now add finishing touches like a different set of tips, or you can plasti dip the cut out area to have a defuser look (below).

The possibilities are endless! lol

I do not hold accountable for any ruined product or voided warranty's on either lease or bought applications nor a mistake in this DIY. Please adjust steps or processes as needed if you think there is a better way.

I have a tread here with my original idea for the cut outs.
https://acurazine.com/forums/ilx-382/idea-exhaust-more-mods-give-ilx-chance-874253/

The following 2 users liked this post by Timmy18:
neveronlineilx (05-11-2013), Trentimus (05-11-2013)
Old 05-14-2013, 01:59 PM
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Made an appointment at Bruno Autoworks in omaha . June 13th the back bumper is getting dual exhaust cutouts and painted trim black across the body line.
Trentimus (05-14-2013)
Old 05-14-2013, 02:06 PM
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
How much is that going to set you back?
Old 05-14-2013, 02:40 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Switt23
Made an appointment at Bruno Autoworks in omaha . June 13th the back bumper is getting dual exhaust cutouts and painted trim black across the body line.
that's my birthday! that means your car will definitely turn out great
Old 05-14-2013, 02:43 PM
Racer

Here is the place that is doing the work:
http://www.brunosautoworks.com/

I know the owner's son.. so he's doing the work for me for $175.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by switt23
here is the place that is doing the work:
http://www.brunosautoworks.com/

i know the owner's son.. So he's doing the work for me for $175.

post pictures asap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-14-2013, 04:33 PM
Racer

I will as soon as I get the car back on the 14th haha. It's a month away because we had major hail damage last month and all the body shops are booked.

I will be honest, I removed the rear black plastic cover. There is room to run the pipe across the back, but the pipe will most likely be visible out the back. I may just have him do the right side and paint it black unless I can find a way to get the dual exhaust done.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Definitely interested in seeing this.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:08 PM
Racer

The more I look at it (Had a buddy come look and he agrees), the only way to run the dual exit is to have the pipe Y after the axle. You have to run the pipe infront of the rear cross arms which I was scared would be visible.

Buddy's suggestion was to have them do the exhaust up, then take it back off and cut the driver side off and have it powder coated black.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:28 PM
Racer

9th gen civic mugen rr with dual... this is how I will have to run it.

how it looks leveled out

Last edited by Switt23; 05-14-2013 at 05:32 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:22 PM
Intermediate

Hmmm. Are there any mufflers out there that will fit the ILX with the exhaust in the middle?
Old 05-14-2013, 06:35 PM
Racer

There isn't any room in the middle towards the bumper. You can see the tow hook is there and that's pretty much in the way.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

That picture of the mugen civic is definitely the only way I see it happening.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:47 PM
Intermediate

Doh. Been a few since I've seen the underside picture posted earlier. Completely forgot about the tow hook. There goes my ambition.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:39 PM
Racer

My goal is to make the back look like Timmy's photoshop with the white ilx and quad tips
Timmy18 (05-16-2013)
Old 05-16-2013, 08:10 PM
Burning Brakes

My goal is to make the back look like Timmy's photoshop with the white ilx and quad tips
YEAHH! Score 2 for me! haha. (Start the Exhaust DIY and quads!) Sorry had to...

Thanks for taking up my idea. Are you still going for the the custom route, the 9G RR set, or possibly the 1G RDX's? I'd go with the 9G Mugen RR since its a perfect fit (besides bumper cutting), though, how soon will we be able to buy a Mugen RR set and how much will it cost at that? I kinda don't like the tips on the Mugen-RR either. The Elbows in the RR look kinda tight and restrictive to. That 'Y' pipe looks more of a 'T' pipe.. lol. Wait. There is no T or Y pipe.. the second pipe is being fed off the 1st form the back of the ONLY muffler. Hmmmm.

As for the tips, you could probably change them out for something a bit more in place for the ILX's styling but thats just my

At this point I think custom work would be the best for many reasons, but I would be interested in seeing how the RR system works and sounds.

Deff keep this thread updated!
Old 05-16-2013, 08:36 PM
Drifting

can we all agree that the exhaust setup on the 9th gen civic are purely aesthetic and serve absolutely no performance value...I'd even go so far as to say it hinders performance.

p.s. that's not a real mugen rr as they don't exist for the 9th gen, yet.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Pretty much all OE exhausts hinder performance. That is why aftermarket exhausts are made larger and if the company if worth while enough they do their own R&D on the matter.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:45 PM
Racer

Well these are the tips I have for the exhaust... I just have to decide if I am using both or just one.

And you can see the more oval shape to the tip... they are only 2.25" so it should be way more modest than the ugly tips on the civic... I only posted that picture as a reference for the piping..

Last edited by Switt23; 05-16-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Those kinda look like the Civic's to me. Maybe they will look better on the ILX once all is done. I notice they have a slight offset like the 3G TL's. I like that. But with the ILX's narrow bumper 'lip' area thing (part I colored black) I think it might look a tad off. In my pictures, I slightly adjusted the bumper.

*Longer 'diffuser' area.
*Longer reflectors.
*Wing-spoiler.
*Fatter tires.

All of that could make it look better than what your out come is.

Regardless it will look good, but may need some tweaking.

Maybe you could cut the whole bumper up, and make your own diffuser? Sounds like RonJon needs to get on this project.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:22 PM
Racer

Can you do one real quick just with the tips on the non-edited bumper?

The fatter tires are already on order with 235/40/18 Neo-gens. I ordered new wheels yesterday that are 18x8 so that should help.

I just need to decide if I want to go through with 2 cut outs or just the passenger side with the dual tip.

Last edited by Switt23; 05-16-2013 at 09:25 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:51 PM
Burning Brakes

I know it isn't my car, but I would go with Dual's. You know.. I'm all about symmetry and all. But again, not my car and I'm still glad to help either way. I'll have a image posted by the end of tonight maybe. What wheel did you order?
Old 05-16-2013, 10:00 PM
Racer

For this year just a cheap set of VSR Victory's. They are manufactured by ADR Wheels which aren't that bad. They are somewhat heavy, but I drive a 2.0L so no drag racing isn't in my future.

I plan on then upgrading next year after I get some other things accomplished.

Here they are on a TL:

Old 05-16-2013, 10:42 PM
Burning Brakes

They don't look bad! And I can understand why you got the 2.0L. Is it the Premium or Tech pkg? Jw. I assume Tech. Either way, if you do later decide to do some drag racing, the R series can make power, and there are plenty of parts and tunes out there. So just a thought for later down the road.

Here are the single exit dual tipped exhaust with the un-modded bumper/ spoiler/ tires.

Here is the same thing, but with dual exits and tips.

The dual's on the 'normal' sized bumper don't look too-too bad actually. Makes the car look kinda beefy and European (I guess since some BMW M's had the near-center dual's?). Really hunkers it down back there. IDk.. I like them both. Even though the single is one-off to me, still looks better than not seeing one at all.
Trentimus (05-16-2013)
Old 05-16-2013, 10:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Timmy18
They don't look bad! And I can understand why you got the 2.0L. Is it the Premium or Tech pkg? Jw. I assume Tech. Either way, if you do later decide to do some drag racing, the R series can make power, and there are plenty of parts and tunes out there. So just a thought for later down the road.

Here are the single exit dual tipped exhaust with the un-modded bumper/ spoiler/ tires.

Here is the same thing, but with dual exits and tips.

The dual's on the 'normal' sized bumper don't look too-too bad actually. Makes the car look kinda beefy and European (I guess since some BMW M's had the near-center dual's?). Really hunkers it down back there. IDk.. I like them both. Even though the single is one-off to me, still looks better than not seeing one at all.

Isn't that just beautiful... Man, you really make it hard to not pay crazy money for custom work to make a dual setup work! I am going to settle for the single out though.. Beautiful chops.
Timmy18 (05-17-2013)
Old 05-17-2013, 01:23 AM
Racer

Well that just settles it for me... dual exhaust it is. Now to decide if I really want them to paint the back trim black...

Timmy, can you do one more haha. Same as the previous, un-modded dual exhaust.. but black out the bottom.

I will send you $10 through PayPal for your trouble haha.
Timmy18 (05-17-2013)
Old 05-17-2013, 06:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Well that just settles it for me... dual exhaust it is. Now to decide if I really want them to paint the back trim black...

Timmy, can you do one more haha. Same as the previous, un-modded dual exhaust.. but black out the bottom.

I will send you $10 through PayPal for your trouble haha.
Sure! But I'm about to go to school so I'll post it later today.

No money will be accepted. These chop don't take me but 5 minutes.

Just glad to help everyone make their decisions.
The following 2 users liked this post by Timmy18:
chinoxii (05-21-2013), Trentimus (05-17-2013)

Quick Reply: Exhaust Modification DIY (large pics).