Driver Airbag Inflator Recall

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 12:10 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by stevenv
Hello all, i also received the notice for the recall, went to the dealer where i bought the car and they had no rentals available , ended up going to the acura dealer by my job, got in at 8am,l got picked up by enterprise at 8:45 and off and driving in a brand new Impala with 4G and push start and all the goodies by 9am...they wanted to be sure i was going to be comfortable for the long term rental, Acura of Delray and enterprise are making sure customers are happy...and I am happy, not happy that i am not driving my car, but happy with the temporary situation fix...I will pick up my car with my wife tonight and park it in my garage till the part comes in..best case scenario i guess until the Takata mess gets fixed...good luck to all you out there...better safe than sorry...slight chance of getting hurt but you dont want to be the first in an Acura or worse your family member with you in the car getting hurt...
Originally Posted by leo
...I will pick up my car with my wife tonight and park it in my garage till the part comes in..best case scenario i guess until the Takata mess gets fixed...

I was under the impression that the dealer will keep the car till they fixed it.
Am I wrong?
Yeah I thought the same thing? My dealer will be holding onto my car since they're supplying me with a loaner through Enterprise and I'm pretty sure Fox137 did the same.

I'd love to keep it at my house instead of just sitting on their lot for the next 2 months, but I'm pretty sure they wont agree to that...
Old 03-24-2016, 12:44 PM
leo
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
[QUOTE=leo;15711294]...I will pick up my car with my wife tonight and park it in my garage till the part comes in..best case scenario i guess until the Takata mess gets fixed...

Did you have to sign an affidavit saying that you won't drive your car?
Old 03-24-2016, 07:33 PM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
[QUOTE=leo;15711337]
Originally Posted by leo
...I will pick up my car with my wife tonight and park it in my garage till the part comes in..best case scenario i guess until the Takata mess gets fixed...

Did you have to sign an affidavit saying that you won't drive your car?
No but they said they will note the mileage, they said Acura does not want people driving their cars, this actually helps the dealers not having to take up space on their lots...i dont know if all dealers will let you take it home, but Acura of Delray is...

Just tell them you want to park it in your garage not exposed to the weather, i am sure they will understand..
good luck
Old 03-25-2016, 07:37 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts
[QUOTE=stevenv;15711719]
Originally Posted by leo

No but they said they will note the mileage, they said Acura does not want people driving their cars, this actually helps the dealers not having to take up space on their lots...i dont know if all dealers will let you take it home, but Acura of Delray is...

Just tell them you want to park it in your garage not exposed to the weather, i am sure they will understand..
good luck

I confirmed this with Bob, our service manager and they are releasing your car back to you but you cannot drive it. Mileage will be noted.

We are trying our best to make this convenient for our customers.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:39 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Interesting to read about the latest Updates.. Waldo87 - what kind of rental car did you end up getting?
Old 03-30-2016, 08:11 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Fox137
Interesting to read about the latest Updates.. Waldo87 - what kind of rental car did you end up getting?
I got lucky and got a 2016 Jetta SE with the new 1.8 TSI engine.

At first they tried to give me a beat up Dodge Dart which got me really pissed off, but then I noticed one of the tires was sliced from hitting a curb. Then they tried giving me a Chrystler 200 and I told them I didn't want any type of Dodge. I noticed the Jetta in the parking lot and asked about it and the lady literally just returned it while we are looking over the Dart. So I definitely lucked out there.

The Jetta is great though. I honestly love the engine! With all of the torque that the engine produces, it definitely feels way faster than the ILX. I did however have to bring the Jetta back in because one of the tires had a bubble on it, so they changed the tire while I waited. Now the TPMS light is staying on though and all tires are fine. Just my luck...
Old 03-31-2016, 08:15 AM
Instructor

Looks like the Jetta is the way to go if and when I need to swap out my rental. Especially the newer ones with the 1.8 TSI.

Good luck with your rental and we'll see who gets called first about the recall being completed
Old 03-31-2016, 10:53 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by Waldo87
I got lucky and got a 2016 Jetta SE with the new 1.8 TSI engine.

At first they tried to give me a beat up Dodge Dart which got me really pissed off, but then I noticed one of the tires was sliced from hitting a curb. Then they tried giving me a Chrystler 200 and I told them I didn't want any type of Dodge. I noticed the Jetta in the parking lot and asked about it and the lady literally just returned it while we are looking over the Dart. So I definitely lucked out there.

The Jetta is great though. I honestly love the engine! With all of the torque that the engine produces, it definitely feels way faster than the ILX. I did however have to bring the Jetta back in because one of the tires had a bubble on it, so they changed the tire while I waited. Now the TPMS light is staying on though and all tires are fine. Just my luck...
New VWs use the indirect method of TPMS - it is calculated on the difference between the rotational diameter of the 4 tires. To reset the system you need to assure that the tires are the correct pressure, then reset the system - you might want to read the manual on how to do that but it appears to be fairly easy.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:10 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ceb
New VWs use the indirect method of TPMS - it is calculated on the difference between the rotational diameter of the 4 tires. To reset the system you need to assure that the tires are the correct pressure, then reset the system - you might want to read the manual on how to do that but it appears to be fairly easy.
Thanks ceb. I Googled it and there's a button in the glove box to reset it. But of course with my luck, now the check engine light came on. I just can't win!
Old 03-31-2016, 02:17 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Thanks ceb. I Googled it and there's a button in the glove box to reset it. But of course with my luck, now the check engine light came on. I just can't win!
German cars are so much fun. I recently drove a new GTI. It was a blast and I've had my Acura for a few years now. Then I realized that I have maintenance paid up to 60k miles with sub $100 services thereafter, an extended warranty to 120k and there is nothing wrong with the car at 45k miles.

My old GTI (2006) and r32 (2008) had a CEL every time you turned around and $150 oil changes. While services were every 10k miles, I was at the dealer far more often - but they are fun.

Methinks I'm sticking to the Acura for the next few years.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:27 PM
Instructor

Haha, this was the reason I decided on the ILX over the GTI initially... I was concerned over the reliability.

Looking back though, I regret not going with the GTI... oh well, just 2 more years left on my lease and I can start the shopping process all over again.
Old 03-31-2016, 05:19 PM
Advanced

Haha, this was the reason I decided on the ILX over the GTI initially... I was concerned over the reliability.

Looking back though, I regret not going with the GTI... oh well, just 2 more years left on my lease and I can start the shopping process all over again.
Yeah I was pretty interested in the MK7 GTI's as well but just like you, I was worried about reliability and cost of maintenance/repair.

I'll be calling Enterprise yet again tomorrow to bring the Jetta back in and see what else they'll have to offer me.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:18 AM
Instructor

So.. just to update you all.. it sounds like the airbag modules are arriving earlier than expected. I just received a call from Crest Acura that my car is all set and will be ready for pick up later today.

You should be getting your car back soon Waldo87!
Old 04-12-2016, 11:23 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
So.. just to update you all.. it sounds like the airbag modules are arriving earlier than expected. I just received a call from Crest Acura that my car is all set and will be ready for pick up later today.

Maybe they are just trying to knock out those people that have rentals, and costs the dealership money? As far as I know they have been producing the right airbags for a while now, but there are so many to replace that they cannot produce enough in time, hence the delay with the replacements.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:14 PM
Advanced

Yup, I got a call today too and they told me that mine would be ready tomorrow.

Pretty excited to get back in my car. I'm so sick of dealing with these POS loaners. Pretty sad that these 2015 and 2016 models are so trashed. After turning in the Jetta they tried to give me another Dart and I fought with them about it. I ended up with a Chevy Cruze and I absolutely hate it.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:06 PM
Instructor

yeah - def feels good to get my car back and not have to deal with Enterprise anymore. The service manager said they received about 20 cars worth of parts in yesterday. Knocking a few cars off the list each day - People with rentals being the priority.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
I have a rental as well in an attempt to be placed in a priority
Old 05-02-2016, 01:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
I have a rental as well in an attempt to be placed in a priority
Same here. Although Enterprise gave me a BMW X3 so I'm not complaining about having to drive this thing for several months. The rental is actually for my 06 RL. My ILX appears to be new enough that it didn't get affected.