After Rain Car Wash?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014 | 02:54 PM
'15 ILX CBP 2.4

After Rain Car Wash?

Hey guys just a general question, So i recently picked up a new ILX and then two days later it rains here at so cal Lol, and now i have water marks

Should you wash your car right after it rains?
(Dont think its going to rain again anytime soon)
Old 12-19-2014 | 03:00 PM

a car should be washed weekly.

so, yes. if the water streaks is bothering you, wash the car!!
The following users liked this post:
d1sturb3d119 (12-20-2014)
Old 12-19-2014 | 03:09 PM
Team Owner

It's going to rain again, your in SoCal, I'm here in Norcal the storm is supposedly moving down south.

Yes, what Justin said wash it weekly. I hate when it rains and then people don't wash their car for like a month, especially white cars.
The following users liked this post:
VR1 (12-19-2014)
Old 12-19-2014 | 03:22 PM
Good Vibes

Some car washes offer rain checks, offering you a free wash when it rains soon after you wash it.
Old 12-19-2014 | 03:44 PM
Suzuka Master

I was it every weekend even if I know it will rain Monday. Got to keep the car clean.
Old 12-19-2014 | 06:18 PM
_

Originally Posted by mvidal6
Should you wash your car right after it rains?
What are your concerns? Did someone tell you that something bad would happen if you did?
Old 12-19-2014 | 07:07 PM
'15 ILX CBP 2.4

Lol well you see im just trying to save money here because there is no car wash allowed at my condo, so I have to take it somewhere to or someone to wash it is my concern. Don't want to hurt the pockets
Old 12-19-2014 | 08:14 PM
_

Lol well you see im just trying to save money here because there is no car wash allowed at my condo, so I have to take it somewhere to or someone to wash it is my concern. Don't want to hurt the pockets
Optimum no rinse wash. If you can't do this outside your condo, park in your garage/on the street/in an empty parking lot/etc. and do it.

The following 4 users liked this post by AZuser:
Aman (12-21-2014), aomechmarine (12-21-2014), justnspace (12-19-2014), mvidal6 (12-22-2014)
Old 12-19-2014 | 10:31 PM
Team Owner

Shit I use ONR and I have a driveway and a garage.

Plus it won't hurt your pockets too bad by going to the self serve car wash... DONT USE THE BRUSH!!! I believe mine is 2 dollars or 3 dollars for 5 mins..

Put 2-3 dollars in
Rinse the car
use the foam gun
let time expire
use sheepskin rag to wash car
put 2-3 dollars in rinse car
Dry car

4-6 dollars a week
16-24 dollars a month to have you car washed.
Old 12-19-2014 | 11:58 PM
_

If you were my neighbor, I'd gladly take that $4-$6 a week and let you use my water hose to wash your car.

I pay $4.85692 per HCF (Hundred Cubic Feet) of water

1 HCF = 748 gallons

$4.85692 ÷ 748 gallons = $0.0064932085561497 per gallon

Rounded up, that's $0.0065 per gallon

Let's say you use 20-25 gallons to do a full rinse and wash

20-25 gallons x $0.0065 per gallon = $0.13-$0.1625 per week to wash car
Old 12-20-2014 | 12:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Rinseless car wash. Use it, master it. Second, cleaning your car will keep contaminants off it. Spray wax does a good job keeping the paint protected and keeping water marks off your paint. Just spray wax one side of your car and leave the other unprotected and see how the dirt accumulates. Makes it harder to wash later too.
Old 12-21-2014 | 12:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Hey if you actually end up using waterless wash - let us know what brand and results, im gonna start a thread on auto care section about some good buys and ideas i had/made - maybe people got even better tho.
Old 12-21-2014 | 01:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

Oh yea just so we're clear - rinse-less wash=eco-wash=waterless wash right? Im pretty sure is more or less the same , just different branding and stuff
Old 12-21-2014 | 09:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by aomechmarine
Hey if you actually end up using waterless wash - let us know what brand and results, im gonna start a thread on auto care section about some good buys and ideas i had/made - maybe people got even better tho.
It is that but its not necessarily to conserve water. Its a positive side effect. Rinseless washes, use high lubricity washing agents to clean and protect your paint. So you use your wash mitt to lift dirt away and move it from the paint without scratching it. In the process it reduces how much water you need use during the process. The Gary Dean method of washing the car is a great way to get it done. Just do not work in direct sunlight.

No they aren't different brands but just terminology. ONR would be a brand.

Before making that thread do a lot of research on what the products themselves do. Detailers have a pretty set methodology for cleaning cars because it works. Read up on the science before proposing something.

Last edited by d1sturb3d119; 12-21-2014 at 09:26 AM.
Old 12-21-2014 | 04:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by d1sturb3d119
It is that but its not necessarily to conserve water. Its a positive side effect. Rinseless washes, use high lubricity washing agents to clean and protect your paint. So you use your wash mitt to lift dirt away and move it from the paint without scratching it. In the process it reduces how much water you need use during the process. The Gary Dean method of washing the car is a great way to get it done. Just do not work in direct sunlight.

No they aren't different brands but just terminology. ONR would be a brand.

Before making that thread do a lot of research on what the products themselves do. Detailers have a pretty set methodology for cleaning cars because it works. Read up on the science before proposing something.
Yeah im doing hose rinse, foam lance, soak 5 minutes, hose rinse and 4x2 method bucket method (2 offset grit guards per bucket). I also started using straight swipes instead of 'wax on, wax off' type movements when scrubbing the car. I watched a bunch of detailer videos and they said thats where the swirls come from, and if you were to accidentally scratch the car, a straight line is easier to fix then a swirl. Im also adding some plastic paint roller things to scrub the mitt against. I bought all this stuff after a few days scouring the net for best prices. For example the foam lance was $90 bucks from Chemical guys, butt I found a reputable brand one for $45, and it already came with the attachment to my power washer, where with Chem Guys I would have still had to buy it for like $10 bucks from someone else on ebay. But yeah, pretty simple, im open to better ideas, but im pretty sure price wise i nailed it on most of the stuff i bought and that could be useful for others. But like soaps/waxes/ and stuff maybe people got a good hookup, and application wise I could still use pointers.
Old 12-21-2014 | 04:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Yeah im doing hose rinse, foam lance, soak 5 minutes, hose rinse and 4x2 method bucket method (2 offset grit guards per bucket). I also started using straight swipes instead of 'wax on, wax off' type movements when scrubbing the car. I watched a bunch of detailer videos and they said thats where the swirls come from, and if you were to accidentally scratch the car, a straight line is easier to fix then a swirl. Im also adding some plastic paint roller things to scrub the mitt against. I bought all this stuff after a few days scouring the net for best prices. For example the foam lance was $90 bucks from Chemical guys, butt I found a reputable brand one for $45, and it already came with the attachment to my power washer, where with Chem Guys I would have still had to buy it for like $10 bucks from someone else on ebay. But yeah, pretty simple, im open to better ideas, but im pretty sure price wise i nailed it on most of the stuff i bought and that could be useful for others. But like soaps/waxes/ and stuff maybe people got a good hookup, and application wise I could still use pointers.
You pretty much know your shit. I just go through reviews for different products. There are a lot of forums that do 50/50 reviews of one wax or protectant vs another. Personally I love Wolfgang's sealants and I use Meguiars for all my other products. Hot rims dust barrier is really under rated. Some people who don't prep well don't like hot rims but as long as your wheel is dry it will make your wheels pop. If there's water it will dry leaving nasty streaks that won't come off for a week.

Besides that just good sealant, good drying techniques and your choice of a good paint product will give you all that you need.

I swear by this, especially if your wheel has some minor scuffs.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...w-testing.html

Last edited by d1sturb3d119; 12-21-2014 at 04:58 PM.
Old 12-22-2014 | 12:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Yeah that's mostly what I was gonna ask advice for in the thread whenever i start it, just waiting for everything in the mail, so I can put up pics of what I'm doing and ask for critiques and input on better ideas/ good soaps/waxs/gloss-er products, although I'll probably go with whatever good brand I can buy in bulk size to save cash. I know some people may think its somewhat overkill, but its a small investment considering the grit guards and buckets pretty much last forever if you take care of your stuff. Foam lance wasn't too expensive either, considering it was "supposedly" built to last around 10 years worth of weekly washes. I usually try to wash the car weekly, but its probably more like every 2 weeks due to time and parking constraints. I bought from several sources to keep price down, but i also saw a couple options that may be better for people depending on their preferences. Like I said, maybe people can compare/contrast prices for stuff. Especially accessory stuff because soaps/etc are probably decided more on personal preference then prices.
Old 12-22-2014 | 09:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Its not overkill when you like washing your car. Its just proper cleaning techniques. Any mods done to these cars would be overkill in that case lol!
Old 12-22-2014 | 11:20 AM
'15 ILX CBP 2.4

In your guys opinion, are you guys against taking it to hand car washes? Down the street is one for $10.

I could spend $40 a month, or buy some detailing supplies and do it my self which is $$$?
Old 12-22-2014 | 12:57 PM
Suzuka Master

I trust a hand wash place more than I trust a dealership to wash my car. The people at a car wash were at least hired to wash cars. The people at a dealer washing your car is just the newest employee paying their dues.

I trust myself more than both. However you said you cant wash your car at your condo... The logical this would be is to move. Tomorrow.

P.S. OP I have brought my car to a hand wash place a total of 3 times in the 2 years I have owned the ILX.

My advice is to look for a local car wash that has yearly plan. There are 1 or 2 around here that allow you to pay a fee upfront and you get a card. The card allows for like 1 wash week or something like that. May be every 2 weeks, not sure. That may be of interest if you are looking to bring your car in regularly.
Old 12-22-2014 | 01:02 PM
Safety Car

I too live in Los Angeles. I wash each of my cars, every 12-16 months. I use quick detail for 6-8 minutes every few days.

Cars look better than when I buy them new at the dealer, and stays pristine.

Been doing it this way for last 10+ years.
Old 12-22-2014 | 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by usdmJON
I trust a hand wash place more than I trust a dealership to wash my car. The people at a car wash were at least hired to wash cars. The people at a dealer washing your car is just the newest employee paying their dues.

I trust myself more than both. However you said you cant wash your car at your condo... The logical this would be is to move. Tomorrow.

P.S. OP I have brought my car to a hand wash place a total of 3 times in the 2 years I have owned the ILX.

My advice is to look for a local car wash that has yearly plan. There are 1 or 2 around here that allow you to pay a fee upfront and you get a card. The card allows for like 1 wash week or something like that. May be every 2 weeks, not sure. That may be of interest if you are looking to bring your car in regularly.

EEEK!

how many cars a day do they do?
more than 3.

i bet their wash media is full of debris.
what happens when a leaf or a single grain of dirt is on your wash media?
SCRATCHES!

However; if you dont mind, and treat your vehicle as a Point A to Point B appliance, then a hand wash place is the way to go.
Old 12-22-2014 | 01:37 PM
Safety Car

^^^ agree 100%

I let other people wash my cars as much as I let other people get in bed with my gf or wife.

Unless you are into cukolding
Old 12-22-2014 | 01:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Weeeeeeell. They don't use buckets at the wash I go to.

As I said I have only brought my car to a wash 3 times and I have washed my car myself many times since the last time at a local wash and I have never noticed any swirling or scratches. Can't say the same for all car washes though.
Old 12-22-2014 | 01:45 PM
Safety Car

Weeeeeeell. They don't use buckets at the wash I go to.

As I said I have only brought my car to a wash 3 times and I have washed my car myself many times since the last time at a local wash and I have never noticed any swirling or scratches. Can't say the same for all car washes though.
Howdy neighbor

Which one do you use? If good, I can recommend to my local friends/family
Old 12-22-2014 | 01:49 PM

I even induce scratches and swirls into my own paint; AND I'm super careful.

once the rag touches the ground; i get a new one. etc.
Old 12-22-2014 | 02:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 2012wagon
Howdy neighbor

Which one do you use? If good, I can recommend to my local friends/family
I dont take my car in hardly ever. But if I do I take it in to Crista Car Wash. They have a Chevron attached and I have taken the ILX there for 1 out of 3 oil changes. I used to take my Integra there all the time before I cared to change the oil myself. The same guy has been running the mechanical side for like 10 years. Great guy. He always gives me a hard time for lowering my cars.

The wash guys are pretty cool too. You sit in an area where everyone can see your cars being dried. If you get it hand washed you can watch them do it all. They all have air compressors as well to get air out from the cracks. The hand wash gets you some wheel dress up, tires shine, and they whip down the interior as well.

Originally Posted by justnspace

Agreed. I watch them while they wash cars and if I saw anything I wouldnt do myself I would not take my car back. I used to take my Integra there all the time which I loved to death. The paint wasnt the best but I always watched to make sure they weren't doing anything I wouldn't.

Washed the car yesterday by myself.
Won this at the company Christmas raffle.

Woooo.

I didn't actually win THAT. I won a TV. I already own a TV. Not only do I own a TV but I own a TV for every room of my home. This new TV being the same size as the smallest I already own. Not needing another TV I knew I had my choice from all the other prizes, minus the Crossbow... I KNOW RIGHT!? So I traded for this some what cheap bucket of great Turtle Wax products.
Obviously, got a brand new bucket with the deal and it came with a detailing microfiber. Awesome. Good trade up in my opinion. I don't watch TV anyway aside from video games. Oh and the winner of the bucket got $40 as well so I bought some new bamboo framed wayfarer style ShiftFrames.com glasses and some pocket change.
Old 12-22-2014 | 02:11 PM
Safety Car

^^^
TV for that??!! Haha as long as you are happy

Thanks for the info. That is by that Best Buy right? I used to work across from that Chevron years ago, in High School.

The only thing with car washes are they are using the old towels. I prefer to use the Costco Microfibers.

If you need to do your oil change, feel free to swing by my place, I will be hapy to give you a hand (I am off McBean, by Henry Mayo).
Old 12-22-2014 | 03:41 PM
'15 ILX CBP 2.4

Lol those are pretty dope glasses might pick one up tho I wish they came polarized lens, it's either that or some $140 ray bans Lol
Old 12-22-2014 | 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by 2012wagon
^^^

The only thing with car washes are they are using the old towels. I prefer to use the Costco Microfibers.
for the longest time; costco had the tagless microfibers.

now they come with little tags on the ends.
Scratches up my paint.

Ive been cutting them off.
Old 12-22-2014 | 05:12 PM
Safety Car

for the longest time; costco had the tagless microfibers.

now they come with little tags on the ends.
Scratches up my paint.

Ive been cutting them off.
My neighbor (has a XJR and a Arnage Red Label), walked by my house with his dog the other night.

I was sitting in the driveway with two new packets, cutting the labels off with the scissor.

He stops and goes "can't you just pay someone to do this" and shook his head.

(i am the only non jew non moron, colored in this neighborhood). BOrn and raised here, so have thick skin, as an outsider.

I just responded "Well if I had Arnage money, I could pay someone to do it..." :p
Old 12-22-2014 | 05:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

I dont take my car in hardly ever. But if I do I take it in to Crista Car Wash. They have a Chevron attached and I have taken the ILX there for 1 out of 3 oil changes. I used to take my Integra there all the time before I cared to change the oil myself. The same guy has been running the mechanical side for like 10 years. Great guy. He always gives me a hard time for lowering my cars.

The wash guys are pretty cool too. You sit in an area where everyone can see your cars being dried. If you get it hand washed you can watch them do it all. They all have air compressors as well to get air out from the cracks. The hand wash gets you some wheel dress up, tires shine, and they whip down the interior as well.

Agreed. I watch them while they wash cars and if I saw anything I wouldnt do myself I would not take my car back. I used to take my Integra there all the time which I loved to death. The paint wasnt the best but I always watched to make sure they weren't doing anything I wouldn't.

Washed the car yesterday by myself.
Won this at the company Christmas raffle.

Woooo.

I didn't actually win THAT. I won a TV. I already own a TV. Not only do I own a TV but I own a TV for every room of my home. This new TV being the same size as the smallest I already own. Not needing another TV I knew I had my choice from all the other prizes, minus the Crossbow... I KNOW RIGHT!? So I traded for this some what cheap bucket of great Turtle Wax products.
Obviously, got a brand new bucket with the deal and it came with a detailing microfiber. Awesome. Good trade up in my opinion. I don't watch TV anyway aside from video games. Oh and the winner of the bucket got $40 as well so I bought some new bamboo framed wayfarer style ShiftFrames.com glasses and some pocket change.
Best gifts are the ones that you actually end up using the most - seems pretty good to me. Im lame, all im getting myself for Christmas is a new Samsung S-4 and home improvement stuff like shelves for the gargage and kitchen, and car washing stuff. I already have tv's and stuff too - who needs extras?
Old 12-22-2014 | 05:45 PM
Team Owner

I would have sold the TV.
Old 12-22-2014 | 05:45 PM
Team Owner

Best gifts are the ones that you actually end up using the most - seems pretty good to me. Im lame, all im getting myself for Christmas is a new Samsung S-4 and home improvement stuff like shelves for the gargage and kitchen, and car washing stuff. I already have tv's and stuff too - who needs extras?

S-4 you do know the S-5 is out and the S-6 is on it's way out lol.
Old 12-22-2014 | 05:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

I noticed this as well, so thats why I got more serious about the car care. Like I said, seems like a more or less one time investment, other then soaps/waxes. But I plan on driving/ washing my car till im too old or rich to do that, so probably really long time, might as well learn how to do it right. Might seem overkill, but watching a few youtube videos and reading a few articles is the same as someone taking 5 minutes to teach you how to tie your shoes when you were a kid, super simple, just learn how to do it right.
Old 12-22-2014 | 05:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

oh shit LOL meant Note 4 traded in the S-4 hahaha
Old 12-22-2014 | 05:49 PM
Team Owner

oh shit LOL meant Note 4 traded in the S-4 hahaha

Ok, I was about to say...
Old 12-22-2014 | 05:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Flipster23
I would have sold the TV.
And boosted the economy at the same time. true patriot. Yea, good idea
Old 12-22-2014 | 06:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

In your guys opinion, are you guys against taking it to hand car washes? Down the street is one for $10.

I could spend $40 a month, or buy some detailing supplies and do it my self which is $$$?
In your situation i would really think about it, look at Yelp reviews, ask people you know. Some places are really quick (thats a big plus), others take a while... I'd also just flat out watch what they do. Its true - if they arent cleaning /switching sponges /mitts often, thats pretty much same or worse then an automatic wash. Which there's a great automatic one by my house. If you end up doing an automatic wash, id only do that if I pre-paid for the best/highest wash trim (includes all the extra stuff like waxing, wheel gloss, glosser, sealant, etc) and unlimited/weekly wash. I think the basic wash pretty much guarantees swirls. At least with the other stuff itll be alright, and done in about 5-10 minutes. Depends if youre gonna keep the car a long time too. Keeping it for 3-5 years? id say fuck it, do the automatic and get it pro detailed (clay bar, polish, buff, sealant waxed whole 9 yards) at least once a year.
Old 12-22-2014 | 08:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Remember the point of a business where you pay 10 bucks is mass business. In order for them to make a profit they have to be churning out hundreds of cars a day. A detailer on the other hand is paid to take the time. On some jobs I make over $50 dollars an hour because I need to be meticulous and care about your paint. New cars are easy to clean. Its only after a year of that abuse do you start to see the scratches and swirls and it just gets worse from there.

Quick Reply: After Rain Car Wash?