Acura ILX sway bar compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 06:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
Acura ILX sway bar compatibility

Skip to 3rd paragraph to get to main point -

Alright so - first off - I know i'm posting a lot - and it stands out more because, lets face it, the ILX section is kinda dead. But mang - "I ain't got no job", I got money burning a hole in my pocket, and I can only bang out my girl so many hours in the day. ("you ain't got no job... and you ain't got shit to do.")

So - I got this Acura tech buddy and he had an 8th gen Civic SI he pimped the fuck out. He went back to stock, so he sold off a bunch of parts. I gotta go in for an oil change soon, I'm getting the front lip installed (waiting on it to come in the mail), I'm probably gonna get the OEM bodyside molding installed, and while I'm there -

My buddy the (Acura) tech has an 8th Gen Civic SI rear sway bar - its the Eibach 19mm adjustable one. He says it fits, yeah he's a tech, but I'm pretty sure he's just assuming it'll fit. If it does for sure, then eff it, I should just get it thrown on there when I do the other stuff here soon. That way less down time. Thoughts? Wasn't someone getting test fit for a newer design on here? If they were, that means it's not the same so I'd rather play it safe then risk it.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

I just saw that eibach sells the sportplus set for the car ... guess it does fit... I'm probably gonna hold off then and maybe just get that set... springs, front and rear sway bar? pretty good discount too... Reviews anyone?
Old 05-06-2014, 07:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Or does anybody else know of any complete sets like that maybe? Help a dude out
Old 05-06-2014, 09:34 PM
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
No other complete sets that I know of but FKX racing makes a front and rear tie bar and an anti-sway bar. Front tie bar is 3 months back ordered though. I bought the progressive 24mm rear anti sway last week
Old 05-06-2014, 10:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Nice - that has like a little built in "beak's bar" type of thing too right? Thats a pretty massive difference... my buddy was saying the stock is like 16 or 17mm so thats like 7mm bigger - maybe 30%-or a like a 1/3 bigger.
The bars are going to be my next mods I think... have a couple more cosmetic things on the near horizon but these type of mods will follow... I'm trying to have an even balance of form and function...I'd like to improve the cars handling, and these type of mods would still be compatible with either springs, coils, or (probably not going to but hey gotta dream right) bags
Old 05-06-2014, 11:07 PM
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
I will be installing them Friday (minus front) and will let you know my thoughts for whatever it's worth. Rear bar, rear anti sway bar (and for kicks cross drilled and slotted rotors!!)
The following users liked this post:
aomechmarine (05-09-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 05:47 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I'm ready to install my suspension upgrades to my car. I'm doing a progress 22mm RSB, Redshift/GC coil overs with Koni inserts, front camber bolts, and a hitch - not so much for performance.

It looks like to install the RSB you need to remove part of the subframe, it might just be a metal cover/brace, is that right? I was looking at it when in the dealer's service bay and it does not look like I can just remove it without also having to remove that cover, but I only looked briefly. Can anyone who's installed one chime in with some pointers. I'm getting new jack stands so waiting for them to get under and really have a look.

Where are people jacking up the car from, besides the jacking up rails by the wheels. The manual does not mention anywhere else, and the Acura tech (had the car in for the Siri Eyes Free Mode upgrade) said he would use those only. I pointed out the subframe bar behind the radiator, it has a raised portion about an 1 inch wide and 6 inches long, between the plastic air ducts under the engine compartment, and the tow hook in the rear, but he did not suggest using them just because its not in the manual.

I would ideally like to raise it from the front, put it on front jack stands, then rear, and put it on the rear jack stands so its off the ground completely, but if I have to do it from the sides, thats OK too, just extra steps. But I also don't want to bend anything, because it can be done even when it looks sturdy like its part of the frame.

Thanks.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
There is a spot in the front with an arrow point to a raised section almost dead center.

Should look something like that^

In the rear just use the tow hook.

As for the sides you already know are called pinch welds. One at each corner.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:23 PM
Cruisin'

usdmJon, thanks for the info. I'll get under there and locate it in the front.

Do you guys know if there is a repair manual for working on the car? I use one for my motorcycle to do maintenance and modifications, and it gives me torque values for everything plus diagrams. I looked online but did not come up with anything that I can buy or download.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:58 PM
Cruisin'

usdmJon, I don't see that arrow or spot, I have a round bar between the plastic air scoops and then empty space behind until the engine or part of it (light gray square). I have the frame where the tow hooks attach on each side by the front wheels which that round bar attaches to since it runs in the same direction as the radiator.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:35 PM
Cruisin'

usdmJon, never mind, I found it. Its the same spot I was looking at before, but never saw the arrow until I got my phone out and video taped the bottom looking for it. The arrow is smaller than I was looking for.