2016 ILX vs 2015 TLX, from an ILX owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 11:02 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
Originally Posted by aomechmarine
This is what my policy is... as far as I understand it... GAP pays off the loan... Their is most likely different versions of GAP as well... I was never told I would get TTL back....even at depreciated value...

As far as I know, the GAP people have nothing to do with my insurance paying me out the value of my car, TO ME. I'M the one paying them for insurance. NOT the lender. Therefore, they have ZERO reason to pay them directly. I would receive this money. THEN if I owe more money on the loan. I'm either screwed on that... OR saved by GAP paying off the loan.

BUT... there is most likely different types of policies and coverage... Regardless... I'm learning a bunch.... I also see your guys points about the down payments...
GAP does not pay off the loan, there is no such thing. gap insurance will only cover any amount that you still owe AFTER the insurance payout. Insurance legally owes you for the amount the car is worth, and that payment has to go somewhere, and it's going to go toward your lienholder first, then any remaining amount to you. If you think gap insurance will payout the value of the car then you are highly mistaken, because that's what car insurance does. I work as an insurance adjuster for auto damage so I definitely have experience with this.

Side note, insurance will always pay out TTL on top of the car value since insurance owes for a replacement vehicle of the same value. If they didn't pay the TTL on a similar vehicle, then they aren't fulfilling their obligation of putting you back in a similar vehicle. After all, how would you be able to buy a similar vehicle without paying TTL on it? (the title part is pro-rated based on how many months you have left on your registration)

Last edited by paperboy42190; 07-18-2016 at 11:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
aomechmarine (07-18-2016)
Old 07-18-2016, 11:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
Joseph you sound like a douche. Try providing info without putting people down.

I'd rather too much story than not enough which is the case for most people begging for help but providing zero relevant info.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by paperboy42190
GAP does not pay off the loan, there is no such thing. gap insurance will only cover any amount that you still owe AFTER the insurance payout. Insurance legally owes you for the amount the car is worth, and that payment has to go somewhere, and it's going to go toward your lienholder first, then any remaining amount to you. If you think gap insurance will payout the value of the car then you are highly mistaken, because that's what car insurance does. I work as an insurance adjuster for auto damage so I definitely have experience with this.

Side note, insurance will always pay out TTL on top of the car value since insurance owes for a replacement vehicle of the same value. If they didn't pay the TTL on a similar vehicle, then they aren't fulfilling their obligation of putting you back in a similar vehicle. After all, how would you be able to buy a similar vehicle without paying TTL on it? (the title part is pro-rated based on how many months you have left on your registration)
DAMN... kind of makes sense... so you sound right... I will definitely look into this to make sure excatly what my 300 bucks paid for...
Old 07-19-2016, 12:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by The Dark Knight
Isn't 1.49% = 0.0149?

30,000 x 0.0149 = $447

And without knowing the length of the loan or early payoff date, it's impossible to know the real interest you will end up paying over time.
Yes I gave a BAD and incorrect example, as APR is Annual Percentage Rate. I'm drowsy as hell and not thinking clearly. Straight up. BUT, what I did Intend to say I still stand by.

Car buyers borrow most ever, make record payments

"Americans' average new-car loan payment hit a record $482 the fourth quarter, and car buyers were paying an average 4.56% for loans, according to researcher Experian Automotive."
"For instance, Edmunds.com, a car research and shopping site, reported recently that the average price of new car in 2014 was $32,386 The average new-car loan was a record 67.2 months, Edmunds.com said, and the average loan interest rate was 4.5%."

Ok so 30,000x0.045=$1,350
And that's an "average"... there is a LOT of people getting screwed man.

Old 07-19-2016, 08:37 AM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by usdmJON
Joseph you sound like a douche. Try providing info without putting people down.

I'd rather too much story than not enough which is the case for most people begging for help but providing zero relevant info.
I am sorry that I am not sorry. Simply I don't really care to hear everyone's personal life story that really has no relevance on the the topic of an ILX versus TLX let a lone on cars in general. What is douche to me is going on some rant on how to buy a car like aomechmarine always does. Great he got a sound deal, but what's up with the whole 1000 word back story? I feel like he writes to mostly vindicate himself when really he has no clue. Case in point he assumed I paid $35k for a car and that everyone just signs up for high APR rates.

Again I digress this an Acura forum concentrated on the ILX not some financial site. You want to talk finances see your financial planner or look at your quarterly portfolio.

And what is your definition of relevant info? aomechmarine was talking about millennials and selfie sticks. Must I go on? Please take a seat dude.
nothome17 (07-19-2016)
Old 07-19-2016, 09:42 AM
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts
Joseph Park - Crack me up.. Best part of my work day. Thank you..

The ILX owners just needs some love and a hug. Like saying "the ILX is waaayy better than the TLX". Have to make them happy some how.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Joseph Park
I am sorry that I am not sorry. Simply I don't really care to hear everyone's personal life story that really has no relevance on the the topic of an ILX versus TLX let a lone on cars in general. What is douche to me is going on some rant on how to buy a car like aomechmarine always does. Great he got a sound deal, but what's up with the whole 1000 word back story? I feel like he writes to mostly vindicate himself when really he has no clue. Case in point he assumed I paid $35k for a car and that everyone just signs up for high APR rates.

Again I digress this an Acura forum concentrated on the ILX not some financial site. You want to talk finances see your financial planner or look at your quarterly portfolio.

And what is your definition of relevant info? aomechmarine was talking about millennials and selfie sticks. Must I go on? Please take a seat dude.
My point is he's not hurting anyone and I'd rather too much info than zero info.

If you're adding to the ilx section then by all means share your opinion. But you have yet to provide anything to this community aside from try to belittle aeomech for just talking a lot. Get the fuck out of here bro. No need for a douche bag like you around here.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by nothome17
Joseph Park - Crack me up.. Best part of my work day. Thank you..

The ILX owners just needs some love and a hug. Like saying "the ILX is waaayy better than the TLX". Have to make them happy some how.
Coming from the guy that cross shopped and audi and an ilx then decided on a wrx. You are an idiot. Go play in traffic. No one in their right mind is saying an ilx is better than a tlx. When you finally get that wrx you will leave here and join their ranks right? Or you gonna hang around here with nothing better to do?
Old 07-19-2016, 02:45 PM
Racer

Coming from the guy that cross shopped and audi and an ilx then decided on a wrx. You are an idiot. Go play in traffic. No one in their right mind is saying an ilx is better than a tlx. When you finally get that wrx you will leave here and join their ranks right? Or you gonna hang around here with nothing better to do?
Was just trying to show ILX owners some love. Guess that wasn't a good idea ahaha..

When you finally get that wrx you will leave here and join their ranks right? Sure, I'm on the WRX forum now since I got the WRX. WRX is just a commuter/snow boarding/hauling car and still shopping for another car for the wifey. (Audi or Lexus and just for some love, I'll throw in the iLX)

Or you gonna hang around here with nothing better to do? Technically I don't own the 92 GSR, 2000 GSR, 2006 TSX and 2008 TLS as they were passed down to my family.

I like you USDM, I like the dedicated love you have for the ILX. I find it entertaining and that's why I'm in the ilx forum.

Last edited by nothome17; 07-19-2016 at 02:57 PM.
Old 07-19-2016, 03:52 PM
Banned

My point is he's not hurting anyone and I'd rather too much info than zero info.

If you're adding to the ilx section then by all means share your opinion. But you have yet to provide anything to this community aside from try to belittle aeomech for just talking a lot. Get the fuck out of here bro. No need for a douche bag like you around here.

Really I have nothing against aeomech, I just asked him the simple question why he needs to pour his life story into every anecdotal post he writes. There is a difference between providing anecdotal advise and just slush. I was failed journalist in college but one the basics of any writing is keeping it simple and cutting the fat. aeomech has more junk in his posts than Judy Blume's Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret.

Also why is douche like to stimulate good conversation on a forum? We aren't here just to talk and hold hands. No one here has to agree with anyone but for God sake at least have something meaningful to say.

usdmJON why are you such a aeomech apologist? Are you the watch dog of the forum or just a little prick who supports bumbling
nothome17 (07-19-2016)
Old 07-19-2016, 04:03 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Lets talk GAP a moment because it seems that nobody understands it - or nobody has explained it.

Your car cost $30k. You financed $30k. You total the car driving out of the dealership. The insurance company decides that the car is worth $25k and sends you a check for $24k ($25k minus your $1k deductible). You still owe $30k so you need to write Acura a check for $6000.

If you had GAP then they would pay the difference between the $25k and the $30k. You still suck up the deductible.

You put $5k down, so you finance $25k. Your car is totaled. If you have GAP, that insurance pays the difference between what the car was worth ($25k) and what you owe ($25k) so you are out $6k plus the cost of the GAP insurance.

BTW, GAP can be cancelled (for a pro-rated refund) at any time. If you are very risk averse and get GAP then it makes sense to cancel it when the value of the car equals the amount owed.

In short, GAP is insurance for the difference between the value of the car and what you owe. Usually easy money for the insurance company because it really only comes into play if you are upside down AND your car is totaled. That is also the reason why it is fairly "inexpensive"
Old 07-20-2016, 02:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Also why is douche like to stimulate good conversation on a forum? We aren't here just to talk and hold hands. No one here has to agree with anyone but for God sake at least have something meaningful to say.

usdmJON why are you such a aeomech apologist? Are you the watch dog of the forum or just a little prick who supports bumbling
1. You are a douche for calling someone out on something that doesnt matter or hurt anyone.

2. I'm just letting you know you sound like a douche. Sort of the same way you just wanted to let aeomech know he talks a lot. Difference is you went after someone just doing them while I went after someone being negative.

Last edited by usdmJON; 07-20-2016 at 02:34 AM.
Old 07-20-2016, 02:36 AM
Suzuka Master

Was just trying to show ILX owners some love. Guess that wasn't a good idea ahaha..

When you finally get that wrx you will leave here and join their ranks right? Sure, I'm on the WRX forum now since I got the WRX. WRX is just a commuter/snow boarding/hauling car and still shopping for another car for the wifey. (Audi or Lexus and just for some love, I'll throw in the iLX)

Or you gonna hang around here with nothing better to do? Technically I don't own the 92 GSR, 2000 GSR, 2006 TSX and 2008 TLS as they were passed down to my family.

I like you USDM, I like the dedicated love you have for the ILX. I find it entertaining and that's why I'm in the ilx forum.
God I hate trolls. It's clear you don't like the ILX. What is the point in sticking around if not to just be a dick head and troll people that do enjoy their car?

Last edited by usdmJON; 07-20-2016 at 02:42 AM.
Old 07-20-2016, 01:33 PM
Racer

God I hate trolls. It's clear you don't like the ILX. What is the point in sticking around if not to just be a dick head and troll people that do enjoy their car?
The name calling, you mad bruh? It's just opinion's on the net so relax.
Old 07-20-2016, 02:21 PM
Suzuka Master

The name calling, you mad bruh? It's just opinion's on the net so relax.
lmao I wouldnt call calling you a troll name calling since that is exactly what you are being right now. If I were to call you a douche like I did Joseph THAT would be name calling. But troll is saying it house it is man. You don't own an ILX. You obviously dislike the ILX. You are here to simply ruffle feathers. That be definition is a troll. You make comments you don't honestly believe in like saying the ILX is better than the TLX then laugh about how someone else actually likes the car in the forums made for this car.

Go away. You don't own an ILX. You have no reason to stick around here aside from being a troll. If you want to stick around find. Just a name to add to the ignore list since you clearly have zero to offer this community. Peace troll.
Old 07-20-2016, 03:11 PM
Racer

Just a name to add to the ignore list
There you go, just a start on how to deal with issues on the net/forums.

ILX better than TLX, TLX better than the ILX, SUBJECTIVE as everyone's needs are different. So relax.. ahahah my goodness

Last edited by nothome17; 07-20-2016 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-20-2016, 03:17 PM
Suzuka Master

This message is hidden because nothome17 is on your ignore list.
Sorry man, you're not trolling me anymore. Enjoy your Subaru and your time here in the Acura ILX forum.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:31 PM
Banned

Call me crazy for being a nothome17 apologists but who cares if he owns a WRX or comes here to stir the pot. I am actually impressed that he has the motivation or time to still post on a site that has NOTHING to do with his current car.

Also this part of the site, let alone the site in general isn't flooding with new members. What is the point of trying to get him kicked out? Get some thicker skin, we are talking about cars here man, just cars.

I own a 2016 ILX and I still agree with a lot of the things he says. I am not here to be a fanboy but discuss the car and learn more from others. I didn't personally cross shop an ILX and WRX but hey other people might, so in the aspect nothome17 can offer something to the group.

Really people like you are the problem. Just because someone calls you out or you have a different point of view doesn't mean you have to become a defensive twat and try to ban people. This is not N Korea dude.

nothome17 (07-20-2016)
Old 07-20-2016, 04:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Call me crazy for being a nothome17 apologists but who cares if he owns a WRX or comes here to stir the pot. I am actually impressed that he has the motivation or time to still post on a site that has NOTHING to do with his current car.

Also this part of the site, let alone the site in general isn't flooding with new members. What is the point of trying to get him kicked out? Get some thicker skin, we are talking about cars here man, just cars.

I own a 2016 ILX and I still agree with a lot of the things he says. I am not here to be a fanboy but discuss the car and learn more from others. I didn't personally cross shop an ILX and WRX but hey other people might, so in the aspect nothome17 can offer something to the group.

Really people like you are the problem. Just because someone calls you out or you have a different point of view doesn't mean you have to become a defensive twat and try to ban people. This is not N Korea dude.
I'm not trying to ban anyone. I'm honestly asking him why stick around. These forums have a lot of people in here that dont own Acuras. Often times these people stick around because they have made friendships with other users. This is perfectly fine as we all love cars. But if your time here is more spent making fun of people or commenting about how shit Acura is instead of providing useful and at times positive remarks then I have to question why waste your time in these forums.

I dont care if he owns a WRX. They are awesome. What I care about is his comparing the ILX to a WRX and calling the ILX shit because of it. It is clear he does not like the ILX off other threads he has made. So it goes to show his only reason in staying here is to continue to say how much he dislikes it. He comments about his wife possibly getting one but if he hates it so much then I dont see why hed ever let his wife get one.

While I will stick up for the ILX when reason begs; I am not a fanboy. I ike Acuras but I love most cars. If you asked me right now to pick 3 cars to have my entire life an ILX would be the last thing I pick. But right now I am enjoying mine.

If I had three cars Id go 1997 CW ITR, 2005 Nismo Ztune GT34, and probably a brand new LS460 or maybe an A8 for daily commuting.

IMO cross shopping a ILX and WRX tells me the shopper has zero idea what they want as comparing to two is apples to oranges. Telling possible ILX owners or people that already own them that the car sucks and you should get a WRX instead is not welcome. I may as well jump in the WRX forums and say how the WRX sucks you should go buy a Golf R instead.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:32 PM
Racer

I was interested on the 2013 ILX when it first came out so I was in this forum back then. Lost interest as I was disappointed. (Same time giving my 2 cents with problem fixes and issues on the the 1st Gen TSX & 3rd Gen TL) Now the wifey wants a new ride so thought we would check out the refreshed ILX. So i'm here to get some info and same time give what a I think. What better way to get information on cars then forums. . Sure there will be biased and un-biased opinions but its good to hear both sides.

Had my eye on the WRX and was waiting for the 2017 models to hit the dealers. Still waiting for wifey to make a decision on what car she wants.

Last edited by nothome17; 07-20-2016 at 09:39 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:14 AM
Rae Ray

Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by chillingrsx
Ok maybe I'm overexaggerating on the $35k. But still, you would think that paying around $30k would give you more bang for the buck. For the guy that said

Quoteriginally Posted by usdmJON
So the car that costs like 10grand more is a better car? Damn. Never would have guessed.

Tell that to the Civic owner who feel they get the best money worth for their car. I'm not dishing the ILX but I was hoping there's more to it. The only reason I got the ILX is because my RSX was on it's final legs. She keeps having problem after another. I thought that with all the money spent on fixing and moding, why not just get a new car? Plus, there's no other good car out there and I want to stick with Acura as I love them.
Agreed! The ILX is very attractive and has a sportier feel but, its too small of a car for me. Its about 8 inches shorter and 2 inches thiner than a TLX. If you want more bang for ya buck get a TLX, more car for the money. I had 2016 ILX Premium A-Spec for a year. Not so long after ownership I realized I made a mistake and ended up terminating my lease early to get into a TLX. For the price difference you get so much more features, to name a few beside more headroom / legroom and trunk space there is ..... Brake hold, Paws, IDS, side mirror signal lights, two power outlets, wood grain/aluminum interior, driver seat lumbar support, rear seat vents, 60/40 split fold down rear seats, auto UP/Down on all 4 windows, Knee airbag, electronic parking brake, larger wheel base, and a quiet cabin.
All these features are standard on the base 2.4 TLX with a MSRP of 31k and not availble on the top trim ILX with and MSRP of 35k. The top trim ILX does have a complete Acura watch package the TLX does not. TLX Tech package has a couple Acurawatch features not all, Advance package is needed for the complete Acura watch on a TLX which can sky rocket into the 45k.
Cross shop price comparison for both cars..
ILX 2.4 Premium A-Spec 31k
ILX 2.4 Tech Plus 33k
ILX 2.4 Tech Plus A-Spec 35k

TLX 2.4 Base 31k
TLX 2.4 Tech 35k
TLX 3.5 Base 35k

My max was 35k. I went with the best choice possible for me which is the TLX 2.4 Tech. My only regret is why I didnt get the TLX in the first place.

I have a thread on the TLX forums on the same topic.

Link
https://acurazine.com/forums/fifth-g...g-post-945351/

Last edited by Rae Rad; 07-28-2016 at 09:25 AM.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:11 PM
Banned

I kind of had the same ordeal. I had a 2016 RDX Base AWD on lease but it was just too much car for just running around town in NYC. While I don't have any kids I can see why this is a hugely popular with smaller families and soccer moms. Anyways I sold my RDX to a dealer and looked at an ILX and TLX like you. However I picked an ILX because while the TLX offers superior features on paper over the ILX the TLX was simply more money. Some of these TLX's features such as a 60/40 split, brake hold, PAWS, driver seat lumbar support, rear seat vents, 60/40 split fold down rear seats are all features I would like the ILX to have but are not deal breakers for me. Simply I am a small guy so the ILX fits me perfectly and I drive alone 80% of the time just doing errands, even a TLX would be overkill. But if you are bigger than me which is hard or actually have people in the back I totally get why a TLX is more desirable. However the notion that the TLX is more luxurious over an ILX is like saying pleather is more luxurious than cloth. The base TLX still has the same cheap plastics as the ILX, comes standard with faux leather unless you jump to Tech, and that wood trim is Faux wood trim which IMO is more off putting than not having any wood accents. <br /><br />Again in the end it always comes down to money. A base 2016 TLX is $29K and change and a Tech jumps way up to $32.5k. For me I have always stood by the fact that the ILX Premium should have been the base and secondly offers the most bang for the buck. So let's say you simply go with the Premium that for me came to $26,160, a Premium with A-Spec comes to $27,848, and Tech $28,705, and Tech w/ A-Spec $30,393.

So without weighting which features mean more to certain people comparing a 2016 TLX Base at $29k versus a 2016 ILX Tech at $28,705 PRICE wise would be the best comparison if your dead set on staying at $30k or bellow.

Fuel economy: 24/35 for the TLX Base versus 25/36 for the ILX, the ILX has the tiny bit of an edge but 1 MPG overall less for a bigger TLX is not a big deal. I call this a TIE

Acoutromon The exclusive features a base TLX has over an ILX Tech are lumbar support and HVAC in the back, 1 additional power outlet, perimeter lighting, automatic tilt down mirrors, and an overall quieter smoother ride, but the ILX Tech hits back with GPS Linked automatic climate control, navigation, adaptive cruise control, Lane keep assistance, forward collision warning, AcuraLink, SiriusXM song by Voice, real leather, blind spot detection, rear traffic alert. The TLX defiantly has more convenience while the ILX Tech has more safety and features. You could go either way but for me downgrading from an RDX getting more features was important so I give acoutromon to the ILX.

Media: ILX with its 10 speaker ELS sound system defiantly wins.

Storage and Space: TLX with more room and a 60/40 split folding rear seat

Performance: Basically a tie, the ILX is slightly faster due to its lighter weight but does not include P-AWS, so handling is not as crisp as the TLX

Again it depends what matters to you the most, so if a slightly more refined ride and more room matter to you more than the TLX will defiantly outshine the ILX, but if you want more features and don't need the extra space or slight tick in refinement the ILX is the way to go. Now if you defiantly don't need the extra room in the TLX and can spend a few hundred dollar more a Tech w/ A-Spec at $30,393 pushes the ILX completely over the base TLX with its 18" wheels, fog lights, rear spoiler, red guages, black liner, aluminum pedals, and suede inserts. But as soon as you upgrade to a TLX Tech all bets are off and the TLX is just the better buy. Like you I looked at the ILX before the RDX and my only regret is that I didn't pick the ILX first and had lower payments to begin with. I was able to sell my RDX with equity and start a new 24 month lease so in reality I didn't add any time.
Old 07-30-2016, 05:40 PM
Rae Ray

I agree with you. Its is all about what an individual is looking for and needs. Not sure where are you getting all those prices from. I am referring to MSRP because not everyone gets the same deals its a different situation with everyone . So we'll stick to MSRP pricing. I did not mention the target price under 30k. the target price I compared here is between 31k and 35k (MSRP).

So lets compare the top trim 2016 ILX Tech Plus A-Spec To the 2016 TLX Tech both MSRP at 35K (or even the 3.5V6 Base also at 35k) ... in terms of safety features the ILX having the Acura Watch package wins hands down. There is no Acura watch package for the TLX, those safety features are spread through out the trim levels tech and advance. BUT, in terms of ride quality, softness, luxury and refinement the TLX wins hand down.
The interior is beautiful in the TLX. The aluminum trim looks more upsale rather than the grey plastic in the ilx fake or not. I notice the grey plastic in the ILX is so easy to scratch or nic.

The ELS system in the TLX has a lil more kick over the ILX ELS system. The TLX has 490 watts and I believe i read somewhere the ILX has 415 watt. Not positive..

The 18" rims on the ILX A-Spec are gorgeous IMO but the wheel base is so small the rims dont even look to be 18"....when i told people they were 18" wheels they couldnt believe it. They Had to check the tire size for themselves.
The 17" wheels on I4 TLX look horrible. Thanks to my dealer for a great job painting them black, they actually look good in black IMO

All in all you are right. It depend and what a person is looking for. But to anyone looking into purchasing an ILX dont forget to looking into the TLX I4 Tech as well. I recommend it.
Old 07-30-2016, 06:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Well I have to admit. When originally reading these reviews Joseph and Rae, I was taken back by comparing two cars that I see are not really comparable.

Now that I reread it I see clearly you are comparing 31k ILXs to 31K TLXs.

While for me, I still wouldnt even compare the two because IMO you are comparing a more fully loaded ILX with a more bare bones TLX in order to make those prices match.

When I singed up for the ILX tech I wanted it to be fully loaded when it came to the stuff I couldn't or wouldn't install myself. So for me, I try to compare trim level to trim level, ILX tech to TLX tech because again, for me, I'm paying for all those extras I dont want to spend another 10K to get those extras in an all around nicer car.

That is why I so easily responded with "well due of course the TLX is better its worth more." IN the way you guys are comparing, 31k to 31k, I can see the comparison. For me I'd still 100% take the more fully loaded cheaper car over a nicer car with less creature comforts.

Sadly for me the TLX wasnt around for me to cross shop yet. I looked at the current TL at the time but just dont find them all that attractive.

So honestly good reviews guys.

As for the ELS... unplug your ANC and it should kick much harder. I know my ILX does anyway.
Rae Rad (07-30-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 06:24 PM
Rae Ray

While for me, I still wouldnt even compare the two because IMO you are comparing a more fully loaded ILX with a more bare bones TLX in order to make those prices match.
The fully loaded ILX is not 31k its 35k MSRP so you'll compare the ILX Tech Plus A-Spec 35k and the TLX 2.4 Tech 35K .

Last edited by Rae Rad; 07-30-2016 at 06:27 PM.
Old 07-30-2016, 06:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Rae Rad
The fully loaded ILX is not 31k its 35k MSRP so you'll compare the ILX Tech Plus A-Spec 35k and the TLX 2.4 Tech 35K .
Mine is a 2013 2.0 tech so it was only 30k for me. Adding stuff at the dealer before I got the car bumped it up to 31k.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rae Rad
I agree with you. Its is all about what an individual is looking for and needs. Not sure where are you getting all those prices from. I am referring to MSRP because not everyone gets the same deals its a different situation with everyone . So we'll stick to MSRP pricing. I did not mention the target price under 30k. the target price I compared here is between 31k and 35k (MSRP).

So lets compare the top trim 2016 ILX Tech Plus A-Spec To the 2016 TLX Tech both MSRP at 35K (or even the 3.5V6 Base also at 35k) ... in terms of safety features the ILX having the Acura Watch package wins hands down. There is no Acura watch package for the TLX, those safety features are spread through out the trim levels tech and advance. BUT, in terms of ride quality, softness, luxury and refinement the TLX wins hand down.
The interior is beautiful in the TLX. The aluminum trim looks more upsale rather than the grey plastic in the ilx fake or not. I notice the grey plastic in the ILX is so easy to scratch or nic.

The ELS system in the TLX has a lil more kick over the ILX ELS system. The TLX has 490 watts and I believe i read somewhere the ILX has 415 watt. Not positive..

The 18" rims on the ILX A-Spec are gorgeous IMO but the wheel base is so small the rims dont even look to be 18"....when i told people they were 18" wheels they couldnt believe it. They Had to check the tire size for themselves.
The 17" wheels on I4 TLX look horrible. Thanks to my dealer for a great job painting them black, they actually look good in black IMO

All in all you are right. It depend and what a person is looking for. But to anyone looking into purchasing an ILX dont forget to looking into the TLX I4 Tech as well. I recommend it.
Pricing I was going on is target price which will vary dealer to dealer and state to state, but MSRP while a good baseline is a little unrealistic in the sense that the ILX isn't a $35k car IMO but if you are paying $30k or less for a fully loaded one I can see its value, same with the TLX.

I got these prices on TrueCar Tristate New York area, 2016 versions.

Last edited by Joseph Park; 08-01-2016 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:55 AM
Banned

Well I have to admit. When originally reading these reviews Joseph and Rae, I was taken back by comparing two cars that I see are not really comparable.

When I singed up for the ILX tech I wanted it to be fully loaded when it came to the stuff I couldn't or wouldn't install myself. So for me, I try to compare trim level to trim level, ILX tech to TLX tech because again, for me, I'm paying for all those extras I dont want to spend another 10K to get those extras in an all around nicer car.

That is why I so easily responded with "well due of course the TLX is better its worth more." IN the way you guys are comparing, 31k to 31k, I can see the comparison. For me I'd still 100% take the more fully loaded cheaper car over a nicer car with less creature comforts.

Sadly for me the TLX wasnt around for me to cross shop yet. I looked at the current TL at the time but just dont find them all that attractive.

So honestly good reviews guys.

As for the ELS... unplug your ANC and it should kick much harder. I know my ILX does anyway.
Yet you have one of the most modded ILX on the forum. All the power to the people who like to customize, but if I am putting $5k-$10k in mods I am just going to buy a better car in my experience
nothome17 (08-01-2016)
Old 08-01-2016, 01:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
Acura's strategy of having some overlap between the ILX and TLX is the same strategy that the Germans have been using for years, notably BMW. You can spec a 3 series to be more expensive than a 5 series if you opt for all the tech toys. I only wish Acura would have offered an "Advance" trim on the ILX like they do with the RDX. I would have certainly paid for ventilated seats, auto-dimming side mirrors, etc. In my case, I already have a large-ish sedan (RL Tech) so I was purposely looking for a small nimble sedan, but I still want it fully loaded. If this was my only car, I would probably have gotten a TLX or an Accord if I didn't want to spend TLX-money.
Old 08-01-2016, 04:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Yet you have one of the most modded ILX on the forum. All the power to the people who like to customize, but if I am putting $5k-$10k in mods I am just going to buy a better car in my experience
Wtf dude? What does my modding have anything to do with me basically trying to say "looks guys you were right, good review." What a douche.

My mods have nothing to do with why Id rather a cheaper car with more add ons verse a more expensive car with less. In fact it only strengthens it. If I waited and bought a TLX my monthly I'm sure would be more as well not as much can be done to the TLX as quickly so modding the TLX wasn't something I cared to do.

Modding is a hobby. So while maybe you don't understand it; it makes other people happy. So even if I did get the nicer TLX I would still be trying to mod it just as much. Which would end in failure as the modding community is still quite weak there.