2016 Acura ILX Emissions Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 04:47 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 Acura ILX Emissions Issue

OK so I have posted about this problem before and most of the replies I got said it could be the gas cap. I'll just run a brief synopsis of what's going on.

About a month or so ago, I was driving my new Acura ILX A-Spec and the Check Gas Cap light came on. I thought maybe I had not properly tightened it, so I unscrewed and re-tightened the cap, which turned the light off after a couple drives. The next day, the Emissions Light came on, so I took it into the dealer where they ran their tests and determined that there was a small EVAP leak but all the tests checked out. They had said that I probably forgot to tighten my gas cap and that's what caused it. So, I left the dealership and went on my way. Over the next couple weeks, I put a full tank of gas in the car and drove it like normal. About 150 miles into that same tank of fuel, the gas cap light once again came on and I repeated the process above. The light turned off, and the next day the same exact thing happened....the Emissions Light once again came on.

So, I had to already take the car into Acura to have those brake rotors replaced and a small warranty issue taken care of, so I figured they could take care of the Emissions Light at the same time to avoid me having to come back in a third time. Now, I just get off with the dealership and they informed me that the 2016 models require a special tool for checking emissions and that the part (tool) is on national backorder. It could take from a week to a month to receive this tool to test the car and see what the problem is.

Something doesn't seem right to me. I find it hard to believe that an Acura dealership does not have the proper tools to test a car and diagnose issues, and I find it even harder that I may have to leave my brand new car (with 1000 miles) at the dealership for up to a month to have this issue diagnosed. I told them to replace the gas cap and go from there, but the Advisor I spoke to said that Acura recommends waiting for the tool and doesn't want to basically throw parts into the car that won't fix the issue.

Tbh, I am pretty pissed. It seems like these guys have no idea what they are doing. Any opinions on what I should do?
Old 09-22-2015, 02:03 AM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Ask to speak with the Service Manager, not a Service Advisor.

Explain the run around you are getting from the service department and ask if they can provide you with a loaner vehicle while they attempt to locate the proper tool.

Be persistent with them and make sure they understand where you are coming from.

Unfortunately, most dealerships vary, as far as what kind of level of service you will receive depending on how far they are willing to go for their customers.

But chances are, if there are a reputable dealer, they should be willing to work with you.

Another option would be to try a different Acura Dealership.

If all else fails, you could always contact Acura Customer Relation's and explain that your local dealership is giving you a hard time and not willing to provide you with proper service.

Hope it works out for you.

Good luck.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:03 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by iRaw
Ask to speak with the Service Manager, not a Service Advisor.

Explain the run around you are getting from the service department and ask if they can provide you with a loaner vehicle while they attempt to locate the proper tool.

Be persistent with them and make sure they understand where you are coming from.

Unfortunately, most dealerships vary, as far as what kind of level of service you will receive depending on how far they are willing to go for their customers.

But chances are, if there are a reputable dealer, they should be willing to work with you.

Another option would be to try a different Acura Dealership.

If all else fails, you could always contact Acura Customer Relation's and explain that your local dealership is giving you a hard time and not willing to provide you with proper service.

Hope it works out for you.

Good luck.
The dealership where my car is at gave me a loaner, so I have that base covered. I just don't understand how Acura doesn't provide the proper tools for diagnosing issues with vehicles. I mean, I just bought the car and none of these problems should have come up, but to have to possibly wait a month for a tool to diagnose my vehicle is utter bullshit. Also what I don't understand is why they have not replaced the gas cap in the first place? It's what a $10 part? That to me would be the most logical starting point, and what should have been done the first time the car came in with the issue. I'm gonna follow up with them again today and see if any new info has come around.

And I plan on calling Acura Customer Care after this is all said and done. 1000 miles on the car and it has already been in for 4 issues, including this emissions one. It's ridiculous and I feel I have every right to ask for some sort of compensation.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,662 Likes on 6,685 Posts
On the 3G TL's we had a similar "Tighten gas cap" issue and the culprit was the EVAP purge valve:

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...essage-915682/

Hope that helps you help the service peeps and sheds some light on the situation.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:55 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by thoiboi
On the 3G TL's we had a similar "Tighten gas cap" issue and the culprit was the EVAP purge valve:

Hope that helps you help the service peeps and sheds some light on the situation.
Sadly Acura won't do anything until they receive the tool they ordered. I tried to get them to replace just the gas cap, and they said Acura basically doesn't want to throw parts into the vehicle without knowing what they are dealing with. Really not understanding their logic.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:56 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
^that's good logic, actually.

why would you want to throw random parts at it, that may or may not fix it?

Now-a-days, we dont have mechanics....we have part-replacers...throw random bits at it, till it works
Old 09-24-2015, 05:20 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by thoiboi

Just spoke to the Service Advisor and it looks like you were right. They narrowed the issue down to two problems, one was the EVAP urge Valve, and the other the Advisor didn't really know about. Good news is they ordered the parts to replace both, so that hopefully should fix the issue. I'll have the car back tomorrow after two weeks of being in the shop.