Sharp's New Quattron Technology

Old 03-21-2010, 09:27 PM
Lamborghini Aventador FTW

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
Sharp's New Quattron Technology

http://www.sharpusa.com/ForHome/Home...view=learnmore

Basically instead of the standard Red, Green and Blue (RGB) color filters, the new Quattron TVs add a Yellow filter, which they claim allows the TV to display certain colors that other TVs can't, or have to overdrive the panels to do so. Is this just more hype or will this actually be useful? And if adding a yellow filter is so ground-breaking, why wouldn't they add orange and purple too?
Old 04-04-2010, 04:31 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yellow is a primary color
Old 04-04-2010, 07:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
Originally Posted by Ackack
yellow is a primary color
I thought it was RGB and CYMK..
Old 04-06-2010, 11:30 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
"Oh my!" :gheylaugh:
Old 04-06-2010, 02:44 PM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
I thought it was RGB and CYMK..
Nope.
Well...at least when talking about primary and secondary colors. Which I never understood when it's translated into televisions, projectors, etc.

The primary colors are red, yellow and blue. Green is a byproduct (secondary color) from mixing blue and yellow.

I've never understood if that's the case though, why tv's, projectors, etc use RGB. Why not RYB? I'm sure there is a justifiable reason...but I just don't know what that reason is.

EDIT:
Just looked it up out of curiosity.
I was wrong. Slightly.
Red/Yellow/Blue are the primary colors of pigment.
Red/Green/Blue are the 'primary' colors of things like monitors.

Last edited by TS_eXpeed; 04-06-2010 at 02:48 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:50 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
I found this:

It all comes down to the physics of color mixing…

Color is created through one of two basic color mixing processes: the ADDITIVE mixture process, which combines spectral components, essentially without alteration, from emissive sources such as *lamps, video displays and projectors, the sun, etc., and the SUBTRACTIVE (aka ABSORPTIVE) mixture process, where (non-emissive) substances or materials containing dyes or pigments, selectively reflect, absorb and transmit various mixtures of spectral components. Some of the more recognizable examples of the subtractive color mixing process at work include paint, ink, photographs, fabrics, chlorophyll, melanin, etc. The additive process is associated with several well known standardized component video color models such as RGB, YCbCr¹, YPbPr¹, and CIELUV. Likewise, the subtractive process, which governs non-emissive ‘surface colors,’ is associated with equally well known component color models such as CMYK, CIELAB, Munsell, etc. *(Note: some emissive sources of light that contain one or more narrow, high amplitude spectral peaks, e.g., fluorescent, mercury vapor, metal halide, and sodium lamps, can severely impair a person’s ability to perceive color accurately.)

In the ‘additive color’ world of video the color gamut is defined by three primary color components: green (G), red (R), and blue (B) along with their respective intensity levels. As many consumers are aware, in a conventional color video display device a complete picture element, aka, “pixel” or “pel,” is almost always comprised of three individual monochromatic subpixels, i.e., green (G), red (R), and blue (B) subpixels, (listed in order of descending spectral sensitivity,) arranged in a precise, uniform pattern. The colors green, blue, and red were chosen for subpixels in large part because they closely correspond to the spectral sensitivities of the three types of cones - γ, β, and ρ respectively, located primarily in the foveal area of the eye’s retina, which are responsible for color vision under ‘normal’ viewing conditions.