Pulling an HDMI cable through the wall? Decorative finish plates?

Old 11-25-2007, 09:06 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Pulling an HDMI cable through the wall? Decorative finish plates?

I'm about to take the plunge on a TV for the bedroom. I am going to wall mount it and was wondering the best way to fish the HDMI cable through the wall.

The actual pull won't be an issue. But the holes I put in the drywall, I'd like some sort of a plate to go over the holes and give it a nice finish. Essentially a wall plate (like for a telephone/cable jack) that has a 2"+ hole in the center...

I would assume a hardware store would have something like this?
Old 11-25-2007, 09:17 AM
has Gloryhole Girls in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.drillspot.com/products/12...ll_Plate_Cover

Old 11-25-2007, 09:18 AM
Administrator Alumnus

That would work...
Old 11-25-2007, 09:42 AM
I miss my 03 CL-S :(

Received 445 Likes on 214 Posts
How're you gonna run the power cable for the tv set?
Old 11-25-2007, 10:39 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Originally Posted by einsatz
How're you gonna run the power cable for the tv set?
The same way... The TV will be mounted above the dresser. So I'll put one hole behind the dresser and the other behind the TV. The power will just run out of the bottom, into the surge strip that is behind there already. The HDMI will run into the back of the HD DVR that sits on the dresser now.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:51 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,197 Likes on 695 Posts
I was looking for the same thing and came across that plate pictured above at Home Depot. Worked perfectly and was like a dollar
Old 11-25-2007, 11:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
We do the same thing basically, only we use a unibit and drill out a nylon leviton blank plate to the desired size. It comes out nice and neat, even though it is hidden by either the tv or the furniture below.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:14 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrib
The same way... The TV will be mounted above the dresser. So I'll put one hole behind the dresser and the other behind the TV. The power will just run out of the bottom, into the surge strip that is behind there already. The HDMI will run into the back of the HD DVR that sits on the dresser now.
Be aware that running the power cable in the wall like that is not code. But I did it like that too.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by doopstr
Be aware that running the power cable in the wall like that is not code. But I did it like that too.
In most areas it should be ok to run it in the wall as long as there is no break in the cable (i.e. an extension cord or a spliced cable)
Old 11-25-2007, 01:19 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Didn't think about that... I'm not terribly worried, but I guess the question is what do people do? Is there a power cable that is "code".
Old 11-25-2007, 01:30 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Been a couple years since I was researching this but as I recall code is that you put an outlet directly behind or next to the TV. The concern is around hanging a high voltage wire loose in the wall.

Here is something I just stumbled across.
http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/09/21...ll-mounted-tv/
Old 11-25-2007, 01:51 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Interesting... Thanks for the link.

Oh and where's the best place to buy a wall mount from? I don't need anything special... Cheap as possible.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:54 PM
I miss my 03 CL-S :(

Received 445 Likes on 214 Posts
That's great!
Old 11-25-2007, 01:54 PM
Suzuka Master

I just looked at that link doopstr. Its pretty interesting. I haven't seen that before. Couple of small observations. One, use a pencil when tracing your old-work box, not a pen. Your stud finder may not be 100% accurate and if you don't have a lot of experience you may end up cutting where there is a stud. You can butt the box up against a stud, but you will want to erase the pencil mark, so you don't have to repaint. Secondly, the plate they put on is grossly off level. They took the time to level out the template, but they didn't take the time to level out the plate and box. Lastly, all those plates, ugh. That looks just awful. Maybe it's just me cause I spend most of my days trying to prevent jobs from looking like that.

All these little gripes are just with their directions and pictures, not with the product. The product itself is pretty interesting. We just tap right into the power on the outlet itself typically, but if we want to plug the tv into some sort of power surge protection, this would be a nice clean way of doing it.

Just a suggestion to people. You may want to talk to your electrician about installing a whole house surge protection unit. They are installed at the panel and protect all your electrical items in the event of a power surge or lighting strike. They typically cost about $300 to $400 and is a lot less expensive and a lot less headache then replacing all your appliances, tv's, computers and what not (I used that what not part cause of that thread this past week )
Old 11-25-2007, 01:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Interesting... Thanks for the link.

Oh and where's the best place to buy a wall mount from? I don't need anything special... Cheap as possible.
What size tv are you installing? I ALWAYS recommend the Sanus VMPL50 which comes in black or silver for any tv between 37" and 50". It is very solidly built and incredibly easy to install. It is a tilt mount, never go with a flush mount unless it is absolutely necessary to get the tv as snug to the wall as possible. They are harder to hang, a giant pain to plug in your wires on most tv's, even harder to lock it into the bracket so it doesn't fall off. You can get them on amazon here:

http://www.amazon.com/Sanus-VMPL50B-...6020627&sr=8-1

That is actually a good price, lower then my cost on the item. Damn, I'm gonna start getting my parts there.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:06 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Originally Posted by 2001AudiS4
What size tv are you installing? I ALWAYS recommend the Sanus VMPL50 which comes in black or silver for any tv between 37" and 50". It is very solidly built and incredibly easy to install. It is a tilt mount, never go with a flush mount unless it is absolutely necessary to get the tv as snug to the wall as possible. They are harder to hang, a giant pain to plug in your wires on most tv's, even harder to lock it into the bracket so it doesn't fall off. You can get them on amazon here:

http://www.amazon.com/Sanus-VMPL50B-...6020627&sr=8-1

That is actually a good price, lower then my cost on the item. Damn, I'm gonna start getting my parts there.

Probably going to be a 42". Actually thinking of the Vizio 1080p set... Hard to beat for the price. And given it's going in the bedroom, I don't see the need to spend that much $$$.

But back on to the mount. I was looking at a Peerless mount...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cus...e=UTF8&index=0

What's the difference? Cost is the same, so if you think what you listed above it best, I'll go with it. Just curious on the differences.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:10 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are looking to wire something through the wall why not use a light switch bracket. I mean the whole on those are generally small but the question is whether or not the wire would fit through them.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Probably going to be a 42". Actually thinking of the Vizio 1080p set... Hard to beat for the price. And given it's going in the bedroom, I don't see the need to spend that much $$$.

But back on to the mount. I was looking at a Peerless mount...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cus...e=UTF8&index=0

What's the difference? Cost is the same, so if you think what you listed above it best, I'll go with it. Just curious on the differences.

A LOT of people think that peerless is the best brand. The metal they are made of is really thin, which means not as strong. They feel flimsy. They don't fit as well with as wide a range of tv's. A lot of their models also use a specific hex or allen type screw with a pin in the middle so you cannot use your own hex to allen key. You have to use theirs. I have had a couple that shipped without the key. I was lucky cause I kept a couple from previous installations, otherwise, I would NOT have been happy. If you want pictures of the Sanus I can provide some. I actually posted a thread a while back going through the stages of an installation using an VMPL50. It is our primary bracket now and I know you'd be happy with it.

Just a side note. IF you are considering going with a universal remote down the road, the Vizio sets do not have discreet power codes, meaning a separate on and off button, instead of a power toggle. Very important for programming universal remotes.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Trackruner228
If you are looking to wire something through the wall why not use a light switch bracket. I mean the whole on those are generally small but the question is whether or not the wire would fit through them.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:23 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Originally Posted by 2001AudiS4
A LOT of people think that peerless is the best brand. The metal they are made of is really thin, which means not as strong. They feel flimsy. They don't fit as well with as wide a range of tv's. A lot of their models also use a specific hex or allen type screw with a pin in the middle so you cannot use your own hex to allen key. You have to use theirs. I have had a couple that shipped without the key. I was lucky cause I kept a couple from previous installations, otherwise, I would NOT have been happy. If you want pictures of the Sanus I can provide some. I actually posted a thread a while back going through the stages of an installation using an VMPL50. It is our primary bracket now and I know you'd be happy with it.

Just a side note. IF you are considering going with a universal remote down the road, the Vizio sets do not have discreet power codes, meaning a separate on and off button, instead of a power toggle. Very important for programming universal remotes.
If you think the Sanus is the way to go, I'll get that one.

With respect to the Vizio, what are your thoughts on the set? The folks over at avsforum seem to like it. I wouldn't mind getting another Bravia 1080p, but I just don't want to plunk down the $$$. Same with the Samsung. Although, it looks like can get a 1080p model from amazon for about $150 more. Only a 40" though (LNT4065F).
Old 11-25-2007, 02:25 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Trackruner228

It's an HDMI cable, not RJ45 cable. The hole needs to be a weeeeeeee bit bigger.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:46 PM
Race Director

It's an HDMI cable, not RJ45 cable. The hole needs to be a weeeeeeee bit bigger.
I figured it would be but how about one like this

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100080836

Take the switch out of that and it would be a decent size.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:59 PM
Has been sold for a while

Old 11-25-2007, 03:09 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Originally Posted by J.T.'s 3.2CL
I've seen those, but I'd rather just pull one cable and not rely on connectors that could possibly degrade the signal. Still a thought...
Old 11-25-2007, 04:01 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ The problem with that is that you will have multiple plates for any other wires pulled, rather then all the wires coming through one hole.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:54 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
For my TV, I ran an outlet behind the TV and three more behind the console. The TV is on its own circuit. I cut out a big rectangle of drywall to run the outlets (hard conduit is code here) and then put it back in with cutouts for the outlets. I did a rough patch, then the guy who painted our family room right afterward did the finishing patch and paint. I can't even tell I was hacking in there.

All of my speakers (except for the subwoofer) are wall mounted with the wires run in-wall. I used this panel for the speakers and to run the HDMI cable into the wall:

http://www.firefold.com/Products/72-...RROUND-1G.aspx

I only have a 5.1 system, so I use the other two pairs of posts for my zone 2 speakers in the garage.

To mount the TV I used a tilt bracket from Monoprice, which has two 2" diameter holes in it. I cut a hole in the drywall behind one of them, using it as a template, and then dressed it using a desk grommet from Lowes ($1.98). The bracket cost me about $30... and it holds the TV up just fine.

My HDMI cable runs from the TV, through hole in the bracket, down through the bulk cable opening on the speaker wall plate, and then to the receiver.

As an aside, I'm on my second HDMI cable to the TV -- the Monoprice cable I originally bought went bad last week. I replaced it with the 8 ft HDMI cable for a PS3. It works great, was only $27 from Amazon, and is thinner so it can make the bend into the back of the receiver in the console without going bad.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:15 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
I use PowerBridge's for power, and Midlites Wireport's for cabling.

http://www.bfenterprises.biz/midlite...rt_plates.html

They also sell them in a Decora style if for some reason you need a multi gang. However, the Wireports are sufficiently sized to accomodate several HDMI cables along component/etc.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:23 AM
Pro

You could get something like this: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...t=1#largeimage
Old 11-26-2007, 09:27 AM
trill recognize trill

Been a couple years since I was researching this but as I recall code is that you put an outlet directly behind or next to the TV. The concern is around hanging a high voltage wire loose in the wall.

possibly one of the best inventions..i ended up using one of these when i mounted my tv, the install was a breeze with this outlet
Old 11-26-2007, 10:46 AM
Pro

For the price of that thing, I'd just install one of these: http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=2764

It takes care of your surge protection on the input wires and has a spot to slip through your larger cables like the HDMI cable. This is what I used on my install.

You can get them for about half the MSRP if you shop around. The only reason I would go the other route is if you were going to use a power conditioner.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:51 PM
Drifting

Hooray for this thread! I am planning to wall mount my new tv soon. A lot of good info guys.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:43 PM
trill recognize trill

Originally Posted by hypertech
For the price of that thing, I'd just install one of these: http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=2764

It takes care of your surge protection on the input wires and has a spot to slip through your larger cables like the HDMI cable. This is what I used on my install.

You can get them for about half the MSRP if you shop around. The only reason I would go the other route is if you were going to use a power conditioner.
power conditioner is always gonna be better than something like the link that you posted
Old 11-26-2007, 09:12 PM
Pro

That is correct. I think a lot of the drive to use power conditioners is founded in a myth but this isn't the thread to debate that.

If you want to use a power conditioner on the TV, then you should go with the pass through system posted earlier. If you want moderate signal conditioning, surge protection, and a pass through for some other cables, then take a look at that monster in wall device.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:32 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Originally Posted by soopa
I use PowerBridge's for power, and Midlites Wireport's for cabling.

http://www.bfenterprises.biz/midlite...rt_plates.html

They also sell them in a Decora style if for some reason you need a multi gang. However, the Wireports are sufficiently sized to accomodate several HDMI cables along component/etc.

That's perfect! Thanks!
Old 11-27-2007, 12:38 PM
Drifting

Let me know if you find them online. I'm looking to buy a few.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:50 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Originally Posted by JT Money
Let me know if you find them online. I'm looking to buy a few.
Um, if you just clicked on the manufacturer website and followed the links through for distributors, you'd find what you're looking for.

MoonMan Direct
*Full Stocking National Distributor*
24/7 Online Store w/ Dealer Program
Ships same day on orders before 3PM EST.
Customerservice@moonmandirect.com
http://www.moonmandirect.com
Old 11-27-2007, 08:35 PM
Drifting

Thanks I did but there were no distributors in my area and I didn't catch what you posted.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:04 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
I ordered mine (and a bunch of other things) from MoonMan, they shipped same day. A+