Phillips 32 inch LCD TV

Old 11-16-2007, 09:58 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Phillips 32 inch LCD TV

I'm planning on sitting out the night of Thanksgiving to get a Phillips 32" LCD 720P TV for my dorm. It's originally $849.99 but will be on sale for $599.99.

First off, does any one have any experience with Phillips LCD TV's? I know it's a good name, just anyone want to persuade me to buy something else.

Secondly, I'm going to be putting the TV very close to a radiator in my dorm room and I've heard that these LCD screens shouldn't be in close proximity to sources of heat. Anyone able to confirm this and have any suggestions as to how I can protect the TV from the heat?

Thanks fellas.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:04 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For a dorm room with only one or 2 people viewing the screen it should be cool. yes, try and keep the screen away from the heat!

Speaking of flatscreens in general. LCD TVs just suck. Plasmas pretty much school LCD in every aspect.

why?

LCD have horrible off angle axis viewing, the moment you leave dead center viewing on the TV the color/contrast/brightness go all over the place. Colors don't even look the same on a side view from LCD as they do from dead center. It's pretty drastic actually. You can easily see this, put a static picture up on the screen and change your viewing angle and watch the colors/contrast/brightness change before your eyes. Then there's persistent image problems with LCD technology that make your eyes see motion blurring even though there really isn't any. Newer 120hz LCD screens help with this, but the problem is still there. Even Samsungs latest LED backlight LCD screen isn't on par with plasma. For mostly the same reasons.

Sharp makes better LCD screens, so does Samsung. I've seen larger refurb'd LCDs cheaper. Theres been threads about this on here before with links of places to search for deals.

But for your use with only 1 maybe 2 people viewing it. LCD should be fine...
Old 11-16-2007, 11:35 AM
Not Asian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got a Phillips 37" LCD and it does it's purpose. The ambilight thing is overrated though, if that matters.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:36 AM
Not Asian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SiGGy
For a dorm room with only one or 2 people viewing the screen it should be cool. yes, try and keep the screen away from the heat!

Speaking of flatscreens in general. LCD TVs just suck. Plasmas pretty much school LCD in every aspect.

why?

LCD have horrible off angle axis viewing, the moment you leave dead center viewing on the TV the color/contrast/brightness go all over the place. Colors don't even look the same on a side view from LCD as they do from dead center. It's pretty drastic actually. You can easily see this, put a static picture up on the screen and change your viewing angle and watch the colors/contrast/brightness change before your eyes. Then there's persistent image problems with LCD technology that make your eyes see motion blurring even though there really isn't any. Newer 120hz LCD screens help with this, but the problem is still there. Even Samsungs latest LED backlight LCD screen isn't on par with plasma. For mostly the same reasons.

Sharp makes better LCD screens, so does Samsung. I've seen larger refurb'd LCDs cheaper. Theres been threads about this on here before with links of places to search for deals.

But for your use with only 1 maybe 2 people viewing it. LCD should be fine...
I agree, but I like how light the LCDs are compared to plasmas.