AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Home Theater & Electronics (https://acurazine.com/forums/home-theater-electronics-45/)
-   -   Ive Been Tweetered (https://acurazine.com/forums/home-theater-electronics-45/ive-been-tweetered-306722/)

Whiskers 05-15-2005 07:13 PM

Ive Been Tweetered

My new toys - Should be installed in about 2 weeks.

Panasonic - TH-42PX50U
http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/vModelDetail?storeId=15001&catalogId=13401&itemId= 93192&catGroupId=24983&displayTab=S&cacheProgram=1 1002&cachePartner=7000000000000005702&surfModel=TH-42PX50U&surfCategory=37\

http://www2.panasonic.com/static/models/th-42px50u.jpg

Yamaha - Digital Sound Projector - YSP1

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/YSP1/index.htm

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/YSP1/image...ff_anim_01.gif

Custom Tweeter install (very complex) and all comes to about 9K...

Comments from the peanut gallery????

Dan Martin 05-15-2005 07:20 PM

Wow that's going to be a sweet setup when it's all installed. :thumbsup:

teg_to_bike 05-15-2005 07:21 PM

:bow:

Whiskers 05-15-2005 07:25 PM

Thanks. My wife didn't want speakers all over the place, so this should do ok.

Also - The Panasonic is on sale at Tweeter for $3100, which is pretty decent.

Whiskers 05-15-2005 07:30 PM

Im going to sell some old AV stuff on Ebay. I have a basic Paypal account. Does anyone know how I can accept money via Paypal?

fsttyms1 05-15-2005 08:17 PM

Sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whiskers 05-15-2005 08:25 PM

Topping it off with Comcast DVR service and a PS2 input :D

GTA on a 42inch Plasa :woot:

cM3go 05-15-2005 08:26 PM

holy crap on the YSP1

Whiskers 05-15-2005 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by cTLgo
holy crap on the YSP1

:werd: I had no idea, I was about to get the Bose 321....

Xenogen 05-15-2005 08:30 PM

That setup is gonna be awesome. Post some pics if you get a chance, and enjoy. :thumbsup:

KCPreki11 05-15-2005 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by wsklar
Im going to sell some old AV stuff on Ebay. I have a basic Paypal account. Does anyone know how I can accept money via Paypal?

clean out your pm.

Whiskers 05-15-2005 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by KCPreki11
clean out your pm.

Cleaned. I think I figured out the Palpay stuff.

Whiskers 05-15-2005 09:36 PM

If you care, this is coming with it as well....

Denon - 5 Disk DVD Player.
http://www.hometheaterstore.com/stor...3&cat=0&page=1
http://www.hometheaterstore.com/stor...productid=1143

Polk Audio PSW303B 260 Watt 8 Subwoofer
http://www.tweeter.com/product/index...ductId=1849723
http://twtr.imageg.net/graphics/prod...1653474reg.jpg

Home Theater Master MX-850 W/ RF Remote Control
http://www.avperfection.com/Scripts/...?idproduct=404
http://www.avperfection.com/ProdImages/mx850-big.jpg

JarodL 05-15-2005 09:58 PM

9k???? you are getting raped. there is no way that should cost more then 5k at most, mist want to shop around

CLpower 05-15-2005 10:07 PM

is that last speaker a center speaker wsklar?

Whiskers 05-15-2005 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by JarodL
9k???? you are getting raped. there is no way that should cost more then 5k at most, mist want to shop around

My first reaction also, but keep in mind that:

TV - 3100
DSP - 1300
DVD - 300
Remote - 300
Sub - 300
2 Power (Surge) Centers - 600

Looking around the internet - those prices are about right (some shady places lower, some known places higher) - So Im looking at almost 6K just for the major peices.

The shelf with the cable box, DVD player, Power center and PS2 is pretty far from the TV so cables are expensive. Add cables, mounting equipment, etc and we are about 1500.

Add the install job and the 5 years warranty and you get to 9K pretty easily.

Whiskers 05-15-2005 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by CLpower
is that last speaker a center speaker wsklar?

There are only 2 peices to the speakers, the Yamaha DSP which has 42 speakers in it and uses the walls to bounce sound off it to emulate 5.1 sound. The 2nd piece is a subwoofer.

JarodL 05-15-2005 10:13 PM

You need to do yourself a favor and check out this Panasonic model.

TH-42PD50U

It is the new ED version, and it blows away any of the others in terms of picture quality. Its also about 1000 cheaper then the one you have listed. Sorry but I think 600 bucks for two surge protectors is a waste along with 1500 for cables. If the cable runs are under 15' you WILL NOT notice any difference between a 10 cable and 150 cable. As far as the yamaha speaker, i personally think you can get a lot nicer home theater in a box for less. check out samsung. you can easily knock 3-4k off that price of yours.

JarodL 05-15-2005 10:14 PM

also you can get a Sanus tilt mount for 100 bucks off ebay.

Gpump 05-15-2005 10:21 PM

Holy shit that dsp looks awesome, I had no idea technology like that was available. Bad news, when it blows, you're fucked all around. Anyway, sweet looking system, hope it rocks.

Whiskers 05-15-2005 10:22 PM

You need to do yourself a favor and check out this Panasonic model.

TH-42PD50U

It is the new ED version, and it blows away any of the others in terms of picture quality. Its also about 1000 cheaper then the one you have listed. Sorry but I think 600 bucks for two surge protectors is a waste along with 1500 for cables. If the cable runs are under 15' you WILL NOT notice any difference between a 10 cable and 150 cable. As far as the yamaha speaker, i personally think you can get a lot nicer home theater in a box for less. check out samsung. you can easily knock 3-4k off that price of yours.

Tweeter actually has the Panasonic EDTV model for about 1500. The difference in picture is pretty noticable between ED and HD, so for the 1500, I rather have HD (just my preference). The one surge is one of those Monster boxes (I have another one downstairs) so they get pretty expensive, but I would probably pay around 400 at bestbuy for cheaper ones. So 200 is not going to make a big dent here. As far as cables, I agree that cheaper ones probably would be ok most of the time, but considering the distance between the TV and the sources, I think better cables would be best. The home theater in a box wasn't an option (never was) because my wife wasn't putting holes in the walls or free standing speakers. The family room is fairly small so the less clutter the better.

If I shopped around, I could probably get lower end stuff at Best Buy or Circuit City for about 6K, but add install and warranty and I would be closer to 8K. I hear good things about Tweeter and with the 5 year warranty, if anything at all is wrong, I just call them instead of Panasonic or Yamaha.

Whiskers 05-15-2005 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Gpump
Holy shit that dsp looks awesome, I had no idea technology like that was available. Bad news, when it blows, you're fucked all around. Anyway, sweet looking system, hope it rocks.

Yeah, that would suck, but it's covered for 5 years.

Shawn S 05-15-2005 10:25 PM

The rest of the equipment looks good, but I think you’ll be disappointed with the speaker setup.
That 42-tweeter fake surround thing looks almost comical.
And that Sub is nothing to write home about.

I would bet a simple 5 piece bookshelf system with a decent Sub would blow it away.
Lose the Polk Sub and get an SVS with a decent set of small bookshelf speakers.

www.svsubwoofers.com

JarodL 05-15-2005 10:28 PM

Tweeter actually has the Panasonic EDTV model for about 1500. The difference in picture is pretty noticable between ED and HD, so for the 1500, I rather have HD (just my preference). The one surge is one of those Monster boxes (I have another one downstairs) so they get pretty expensive, but I would probably pay around 400 at bestbuy for cheaper ones. So 200 is not going to make a big dent here. As far as cables, I agree that cheaper ones probably would be ok most of the time, but considering the distance between the TV and the sources, I think better cables would be best. The home theater in a box wasn't an option (never was) because my wife wasn't putting holes in the walls or free standing speakers. The family room is fairly small so the less clutter the better.

If I shopped around, I could probably get lower end stuff at Best Buy or Circuit City for about 6K, but add install and warranty and I would be closer to 8K. I hear good things about Tweeter and with the 5 year warranty, if anything at all is wrong, I just call them instead of Panasonic or Yamaha.

The model I reccomended just came out, it is not the 1500 one. Trust me, it blows away the HD version you are looking at. I know people who have gotten that Yamaha speaker and returned it because it was just a gimic.

Whiskers 05-15-2005 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Shawn S
The rest of the equipment looks good, but I think you’ll be disappointed with the speaker setup.
That 42-tweeter fake surround thing looks almost comical.
And that Sub is nothing to write home about.

I would bet a simple 5 piece bookshelf system with a decent Sub would blow it away.
Lose the Polk Sub and get an SVS with a decent set of small bookshelf speakers.

www.svsubwoofers.com

Thanks, but again the room is not really 5 speaker friendly. I heard the DSP at Tweeter and it sounded good enough.

Whiskers 05-15-2005 10:30 PM

The model I reccomended just came out, it is not the 1500 one. Trust me, it blows away the HD version you are looking at. I know people who have gotten that Yamaha speaker and returned it because it was just a gimic.

Still not sure how an ED TV can blow away an HD :dunno:

If the Yamaha doesn't sound right for me, I will return it as well. But from what I heard, it sounded fine.

Shawn S 05-15-2005 10:32 PM

I know people who have gotten that Yamaha speaker and returned it because it was just a gimic.

I've heard the same thing.
And for a 9K system, that’s definitely the weak link.

CrockPot 05-15-2005 10:37 PM

but, it's still better than the bose he originally wanted. :gheylaugh:

Whiskers 05-15-2005 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Shawn S
I've heard the same thing.
And for a 9K system, that’s definitely the weak link.

It's a compromise for me. My wife said you can either get that DSP thing or just deal with the speaker that come on the TV. I think I made the right choice.

Whiskers 05-15-2005 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by GTKrockeTT
but, it's still better than the bose he originally wanted. :gheylaugh:

For the same price as the Bose, it's a lot cooler.

JarodL 05-15-2005 10:40 PM

Still not sure how an ED TV can blow away an HD :dunno:

If the Yamaha doesn't sound right for me, I will return it as well. But from what I heard, it sounded fine.

Do you know the difference between ED and HD? I think you should spend some time researching your purchase before you buy stuff. Not trying to be a dick, but you could get something that looks and sounds a hell of a lot better for a lot less. You are pissing away money on cables, speaker, surge protectors that you could get for 1/5 the price and they would do as good if not a better job. I just bought two plasmas/home theater crap, I had an unlimited budget. I was going to buy two 8k Fujitsu monitors. After researching, the best plasmas for the money are the Pansonic commercial models. Tweeter, Best Buy any of the chains don't carry them. I saw them in person and they blew away everything else. The only thing that had a better picture was the Fujitsu but at 4x the cost wasnt worth it. You can get the 42" ED for 1600 shipped.

JarodL 05-15-2005 10:41 PM

It's a compromise for me. My wife said you can either get that DSP thing or just deal with the speaker that come on the TV. I think I made the right choice.

There are a lot of other choices. You could buy two little bookshelve speakers that will blow the Yamaha away.

Python2121 05-15-2005 10:47 PM

Do you know the difference between ED and HD? I think you should spend some time researching your purchase before you buy stuff. Not trying to be a dick, but you could get something that looks and sounds a hell of a lot better for a lot less. You are pissing away money on cables, speaker, surge protectors that you could get for 1/5 the price and they would do as good if not a better job. I just bought two plasmas/home theater crap, I had an unlimited budget. I was going to buy two 8k Fujitsu monitors. After researching, the best plasmas for the money are the Pansonic commercial models. Tweeter, Best Buy any of the chains don't carry them. I saw them in person and they blew away everything else. The only thing that had a better picture was the Fujitsu but at 4x the cost wasnt worth it. You can get the 42" ED for 1600 shipped.

newb here...

ED is not high def, and the tv he is looking at is HD and so runs at a higher resolution. How is the ED better then the HD?

Whiskers 05-15-2005 10:49 PM

Unless Im clueless HD > ED. ED doesn't support the same resolution as HD. Can there be a ED TV thats better then a HD? Sure. I am sure that an ED Sony is cleaner then a Daewoo HD. But I wont buy that a Panasonic ED is better then a Panasonic HD....I have a Panasonic 51 inch projection HD with Comcast HDTV and I know HD is the way to do. I don't want to save 1K and regret it later.

As far as piecing components together from Ebay and other Internet outlets - not for me. I nether have the time nor skill to do so (I am a computer geek, not an AV geek). So for me 3K or so is worth it to get a system put together and supported fully by a professional.

Too tired to flame / fight / etc. Bottom line is for my money, this should be fine for me.

Whiskers 05-15-2005 10:50 PM

There are a lot of other choices. You could buy two little bookshelve speakers that will blow the Yamaha away.

:what: Have you actually heard the Yamaha? I did today and you incorrect. The system sounded great.

Whiskers 05-15-2005 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Python2121
newb here...

ED is not high def, and the tv he is looking at is HD and so runs at a higher resolution. How is the ED better then the HD?

:stupid:

JarodL 05-15-2005 10:56 PM

HD = greater resolution. However, the HD stuff out there is NOT true HD resolution. Just because something has a greater resolution does not mean the picture quality is better. There are a shit load of other factors that go into it. How can a ED be better then a HD, easy, they are two different model lines. The TV you are looking at is 7th generation. The one I reccomended is 8th generation. Its the newer series. IN FACT, most ED tv's look better then HD tv's for standard definition content.

JarodL 05-15-2005 10:57 PM

You can buy a pair of 300 polk bookshelves that will make that yamaha look silly.

CrockPot 05-15-2005 11:00 PM

don't worry about it wsklar, even if you did get ripped. ;) these guys are just:

http://www.magic-stuttgart.de/preist...x/Max-Piss.jpg
http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thum...ric_Cereal.jpg

JarodL 05-15-2005 11:00 PM

I just bought two panasonic 42" commmercial ED models, with speakers, wires, surge protectors etc for right under 5k installed. I guarantee the picture quality and sound will blow away that panasonic setup your looking at because I looked at both models side by side. I am not trying to be a dick, just pointing out that you can get A LOT better TV/Sound for a lot less money. If you want more advice, feel free to PM me. You have two guys who are pretty big into A/V telling you you can do a lot better for less, might be worth doing some research.