AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Home Theater & Electronics (https://acurazine.com/forums/home-theater-electronics-45/)
-   -   If you want a plasma, better hurry up. (https://acurazine.com/forums/home-theater-electronics-45/if-you-want-plasma-better-hurry-up-897981/)

doopstr 10-15-2013 12:29 PM

If you want a plasma, better hurry up.

Panasonic is getting out of the plasma business.
http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...ed-him-horatio

A screen of infinite beauty, of most excellent fancy. He hath shone on me a thousand times. And now, how abhorred he is. Where be your hues now? Your wider viewing angle? Your deeper blacks? Your brightness that was wont to set the room on a roar? Now get you to my lady’s chamber, and let her paint a screen an inch thick. Make her look at that.

In other words, all good things must come to an end. More specifically, Panasonic has announced that it will cease production of its display panels for plasma televisions in March 2014. Its last factory, the #2 Amagasaki plant, will be shuttered; perhaps it will be sold. The move comes not long after Fumio Ohtsubo, the chairman who pushed plasma, resigned in June. In any case, debates about the advantages of plasma aside, for Panasonic, plasma is over and done.

Panasonic’s plasma business has been struggling, but the move took many by surprise and occurred sooner than many predicted. Panasonic has invested heavily in plasma manufacturing, and has continued to champion plasma while others have not. But finally, the handwriting was on the screen. Reportedly, the writedown will be 40 billion yen ($413 million). It’s also worth noting that overall, Panasonic lost almost $1 billion in the TV business in 2012. The best that can be said is the 500 or so factory employees are expected to be transferred to other Panasonic facilities.

The end of Japanese plasma is the end of an era, in more ways than one. Beyond Panasonic’s woes, it is another sign of the eclipse of Japan’s once mighty TV industry. That industry, rising to prominence in the 70’s, formed the backbone of Japan’s juggernaut consumer electronics industry. Rival companies in the United States and Europe could not compete with the high quality and low cost of Japanese TVs. Now, it is Japan’s turn to feel the evolutionary sadness of a business model that has moved to other shores. Many “Japanese” televisions are manufactured in South Korea and China by other companies. Still in Japan are three LCD factories co-owned by Sharp, as well as a handful of assembly plants.

And, there is an even bigger picture to consider. For the first time in a decade, worldwide TV sales fell in 2012, down about 6%. Part of this is expected: the switchover from CRT to flat panel has been largely completed, and slowdown from saturation is inevitable. Another factor, perhaps more ominous, is that more and more people are watching smaller and small screens; the TV business may be in long-term trouble. It remains to be seen whether new technology such as 4K and curved screens can resurrect the industry.

And so you have it. Hamlet. Act 5, Scene 1. Fade to Black.

97BlackAckCL 10-15-2013 12:43 PM

:rip:

Moog-Type-S 10-16-2013 05:33 PM

All a matter of time.

Kalifornia pretty much outlawed them as they consumed too much energy :minister:

maharajamd 10-17-2013 01:06 PM

I've loved my plasmas. I wish I had a Kuro. :(

This had been planned for a while from them though. Nothing unexpected.

I guess my next TV will be LED. :/

dnd2984 03-03-2014 05:04 PM

:rip: Panny plasmas. I got my ZT60 finally delivered last week. If anyone is still looking for a high end plasma the samsung 8500 is a great contender.

CCColtsicehockey 05-06-2014 09:41 AM

Once I close on my house next month I plan to pickup a Samsung 8500.

CCColtsicehockey 06-30-2014 02:05 PM

Just ordered the Samsung F8500. It will be here Saturday. Hopefully it is as good as the reviews say it is.

dnd2984 08-20-2014 09:17 PM

How are you liking the 8500? It's a amazing TV, it was my second choice if I didn't find a panasonic.