High def LCDs

Old 07-26-2007, 03:00 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High def LCDs

I just bought a PS3, so it seems to me it's time to take the plunge into LCD and get rid of the 5 year old 27" Sony we currently have.

Was looking into the Samsung LNT4665F, but I'm wondering if we should get a 40" instead since our living room is not huge. I like the 46, so we might still go with that.

Amazon has it for $2200 but no warranty. They want $300 for a 2 year warranty and $500 for a 4 year warranty. I was hoping not to spend over $2k, and $2200 is doable, but $2200 plus $500 is too much. Best Buy has high prices.

Any advice?
Old 07-26-2007, 03:12 PM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Whatever you do get the warranty.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:43 PM
Benchwarmer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How far from the TV will you be? Closer than 8' I would go with 40". More than 8' go with 46". The 4665 is the best LCD out there. The 4065 is probably the best 40" LCD. As for the warranty, it will come with a 12 month Samsung warranty and if you register it quickly they will extend it to 15 months.

Amazon will let you return it within 30 days. Additional store warranties are not worth it.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:54 PM
Big White Chocolate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
If you're a member of avsforum.com, you can buy an extended warranty for a pretty good price. For a LCD or plasma less than $2500, it's $130 to extend the warranty for three years. The warranty kicks in after the manufacturer's warranty expires. Not a bad deal for peace of mind, IMO.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
If you have American Express, I believe they double the manufactures warranty at no extra cost. If this policy has changed, please someone correct me.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by 2001AudiS4
If you have American Express, I believe they double the manufactures warranty at no extra cost. If this policy has changed, please someone correct me.
1 year with warranties of 5 years or less

https://www124.americanexpress.com/c...tBenefitDetail
Old 07-26-2007, 07:50 PM
I can't find my garage

my opinion, get a cheap one thats close to half the price that'll last u a few years and get another one then as technology will have advanced again instead of gettin an expensive one right now with warrenty hoping that itll be by ur side for a long time.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:58 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
I have the Sony 1080P 40" LCD. I chose it over the Samsungs. Couldn't be happier.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:17 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrib
I have the Sony 1080P 40" LCD. I chose it over the Samsungs. Couldn't be happier.
I remember reading that a while back Sony was way behind on their LCD technology and were actually licensing from Samsung.

I subscribe to the theory that you can never have a that's too big.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:33 AM
Big White Chocolate

Originally Posted by Fibonacci
I remember reading that a while back Sony was way behind on their LCD technology and were actually licensing from Samsung.
They use the same panel but different processors, I believe.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:24 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Fibonacci
I subscribe to the theory that you can never have a that's too big.
Oh, you definitely can. I have a front projector, so I go as big as I want.

Do NOT get a tv wider than half your viewing distance without trying it first.
Most people can't handle it, and they will get a headache due to eye strain.
It's like sitting too close to the front when you watch a movie.

I recommend sitting 2.5x the width of the tv for starters.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:16 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by NetEditor
If you're a member of avsforum.com, you can buy an extended warranty for a pretty good price. For a LCD or plasma less than $2500, it's $130 to extend the warranty for three years. The warranty kicks in after the manufacturer's warranty expires. Not a bad deal for peace of mind, IMO.
No kidding? I joined avsforum a while ago. Can you link me to the details on that? That's an incredible deal. $500 for 4 years from Amazon, and Best Buy wants $450 for 3 years.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:17 AM
East Coast Boost.!

Just buy it from costco and return it before a year, then get another one
Old 07-29-2007, 10:32 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Titand19
Uh.. Costco changed their return policy on TVs to 90 days...
Old 07-29-2007, 10:36 AM
Big White Chocolate

Originally Posted by Titand19
Costco modified its return policy after being abused.

http://www.costco.com/Service/Featur...uctNo=11204333

Merchandise: We guarantee your satisfaction on every product we sell with a full refund. Exceptions: Televisions, projectors, computers, cameras, camcorders, iPOD / MP3 players and cellular phones must be returned within 90 days of purchase for a refund.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by NetEditor
Costco modified its return policy after being abused.

http://www.costco.com/Service/Featur...uctNo=11204333

Merchandise: We guarantee your satisfaction on every product we sell with a full refund. Exceptions: Televisions, projectors, computers, cameras, camcorders, iPOD / MP3 players and cellular phones must be returned within 90 days of purchase for a refund.

To tell you the truth, I am happy they changed their policy. For one, in my line of work it is quite annoying to have to install a crappy tv just because someone thought they'd give it a shot since they can just return it whenever they way, only to have to come back to re-install. People will bitch about having to pay the full installation price again, but they want to go cheap, they pay in the end. Secondly, people abusing policies like that will end up hurting everyone else in the long run, whether it is through higher costs of products or higher membership fees.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:26 PM
I shoot people

Received 3,055 Likes on 1,482 Posts
Originally Posted by Pete1burn
Was looking into the Samsung LNT4665F, but I'm wondering if we should get a 40" instead since our living room is not huge. I like the 46, so we might still go with that.

Any advice?
if you're going to buy online 2 suggestions... 1) save some $$$ by buying from a site that's NOT in your state to avoid paying sales tax... 2) look for free shipping

I got mine from onecall.com and I didn't pay tax, free shipping, and they matched the price of another site. I ordered mine on a tuesday, got it on thursday! Call and deal with a live operator so they can beat/match the price. Don't do it online.

as for what size? This particular TV is in my bedroom. I have a queen size bed... and there's like about 3 feet gap between the edge of my bed to the TV, which isn't much... all I can say is...I'm soooooo glad I went with the 46"!!!.

the PS3 will be awesome on it... especially Blu Ray movies

good luck and let us know what you decide to go with
Old 07-30-2007, 02:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ChodTheWacko
Oh, you definitely can. I have a front projector, so I go as big as I want.

Do NOT get a tv wider than half your viewing distance without trying it first.
Most people can't handle it, and they will get a headache due to eye strain.
It's like sitting too close to the front when you watch a movie.

I recommend sitting 2.5x the width of the tv for starters.
This is for Standard Definition. HD allows for much larger screens at much closer distances. But only if you are watching HD content. I have the last gen 1080p 40" by Samsung. Its a great set and the new ones are that much better. I am happy with the 40", but I could have easily gone with a 46".
Old 07-30-2007, 02:23 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
A couple months ago a purchased a Sharp Aquos LC-42D62U 1080p TV. I didn't want anything overly large and settled on the 42". I find it just the right size. I sit about 12 feet away from the TV and find it more than adequate. If I had to choose again I would still choose the 42". For my tastes it is just the right size without overpowering the living room.

Terry
Old 07-30-2007, 06:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Siddig
This is for Standard Definition. HD allows for much larger screens at much closer distances. But only if you are watching HD content. I have the last gen 1080p 40" by Samsung. Its a great set and the new ones are that much better. I am happy with the 40", but I could have easily gone with a 46".
There is no difference in deciding the size when going between HD or SD content. The reason for determining size in comparison to the distance you sit is because on a larger set, if you are sitting too close your eyes will have to move around to follow the action on the screen. This can and will result in major headaches in most people. It is not comfortable to sit there and have your eyes moving all over the place, with SD or HD.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:16 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by is300eater

I pulled the trigger on a Samsung LN-T4665F. I got it online from Frys for $1,799, which is $400 less than even Amazon. It was an incredible short deal that I couldn't pass up.

They were out of stock, but since I ordered before the special was over, I keep the same pricing and it will get shipped to me mid-late August, which is fine since we won't be in our new apartment until Sep 1-15 anyway.

Happy with the purchase. I researched long and hard and everyone gave that TV a thumbs up. I can't wait for Assassin's Creed, Final Fantasy 13, 300 and Planet Earth.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to attach all of my stuff to it. We have a kind of old Sony surround sound in a box system. I'll probably hook that up through optical. The PS3 and cable box will go HDMI, and our regular DVD player will go through S-Video or Component. Probably component.

Do HDMI devices have pass-throughs or something? You know, how you can plug your TV power into the cable box so you only need one power plug? It seems to me if I went and got either an up-converting DVD player, or eventually an HD-DVD player, I am out of HDMI connections after the PS3 and cable box.

Thanks for all of the advice thus far!
Old 07-30-2007, 09:16 AM
Benchwarmer

I pulled the trigger on a Samsung LN-T4665F. I got it online from Frys for $1,799, which is $400 less than even Amazon. It was an incredible short deal that I couldn't pass up.

They were out of stock, but since I ordered before the special was over, I keep the same pricing and it will get shipped to me mid-late August, which is fine since we won't be in our new apartment until Sep 1-15 anyway.

Happy with the purchase. I researched long and hard and everyone gave that TV a thumbs up. I can't wait for Assassin's Creed, Final Fantasy 13, 300 and Planet Earth.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to attach all of my stuff to it. We have a kind of old Sony surround sound in a box system. I'll probably hook that up through optical. The PS3 and cable box will go HDMI, and our regular DVD player will go through S-Video or Component. Probably component.

Do HDMI devices have pass-throughs or something? You know, how you can plug your TV power into the cable box so you only need one power plug? It seems to me if I went and got either an up-converting DVD player, or eventually an HD-DVD player, I am out of HDMI connections after the PS3 and cable box.

Are you sure it was the 4665? What is this special? That's an insanely low price. I guess they are locking you in because Samsung will release their new 71 and 81 series in August. But still.....

If you don't hook up the Sony to your TV via HDMI I think you are out of luck with all those potential connections.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:30 AM
Pro

Yes, it is the 4665F and yes it was a special. Might still be going on.

Yep, it is.

http://shop4.outpost.com/product/517...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

What do you mean I might be out of luck? The Sony surround system doesn't have HDMI, only optical. Kind of the only choice there.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:42 AM
Bent = #1

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by is300eater
if you're going to buy online 2 suggestions... 1) save some $$$ by buying from a site that's NOT in your state to avoid paying sales tax... 2) look for free shipping

I got mine from onecall.com and I didn't pay tax, free shipping, and they matched the price of another site. I ordered mine on a tuesday, got it on thursday! Call and deal with a live operator so they can beat/match the price. Don't do it online.

as for what size? This particular TV is in my bedroom. I have a queen size bed... and there's like about 3 feet gap between the edge of my bed to the TV, which isn't much... all I can say is...I'm soooooo glad I went with the 46"!!!.

Not that it really matters, but I know in GA, so most likely all the states have this policy...

If you don't pay sales tax because the company is out of state, you are supposed to accrue the use tax for your county and pay that to the state. Now obviously no one does this, and it mainly pertains to businesses, but just wanted to FYI :nerd:

And the only way the state would know is if they audited you, but I am pretty sure they only audit businesses.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:59 PM
Suzuka Master

http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20switch%205port.htm

I'd rather get a new receiver that does HDMI switching probably. For the money you can get out of a htiab receiver and step up to something with a little more power, which equals better sound quality.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Yes, it is the 4665F and yes it was a special. Might still be going on.

Yep, it is.

http://shop4.outpost.com/product/517...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

What do you mean I might be out of luck? The Sony surround system doesn't have HDMI, only optical. Kind of the only choice there.

FAWK me, I paid $2200 a few months back. Damn the technology! Anyways, +1 for the 4665F. I LOVE this TV, the picture is AMAZING. I will post pics later tonight, everyone that views my TV is blown away at the picture quality.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:47 PM
I shoot people

Originally Posted by cTLgo
FAWK me, I paid $2200 a few months back. Damn the technology!
I paid around the same price but for the "61"! like the same week you got yours
Old 07-30-2007, 11:51 PM
Senior Moderator

excuse my shitty picture taking skills, I didn't want you guys to see the reflection of me in my boxers

Old 07-31-2007, 07:54 AM
Pro

That's pretty sweet, man! I wish I could hang mine on the wall, but I live in an apartment, so I can't be cutting holes like that. I'll probably end up just getting a small stand to put it on.

Pretty happy with the deal. Now I'm just waiting for the TV to get shipped!
Old 07-31-2007, 08:03 AM
Pro

One more question, do your remotes work through that frosted glass? I'd like to get something similar.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:11 AM
Bent = #1

Originally Posted by cTLgo
excuse my shitty picture taking skills, I didn't want you guys to see the reflection of me in my boxers

Never seen speakers like that, but I like it

I'll have to take a picture of my setup once I get my wires in from monoprice. Just got my HD hooked up yesterday and the plasma was worth the purchase
Old 07-31-2007, 09:02 AM
Senior Moderator

One more question, do your remotes work through that frosted glass? I'd like to get something similar.

Yes they do, no issues.

Hornylep,

Those speakers are Orb Audio speakers, ABSOLUTELY amazing. Bought them after a recommendation from someone on the board. Check them out. www.orbaudio.com
Old 07-31-2007, 09:14 AM
Bent = #1

Sweet, I'll have to check it out. I'm pretty much set right now with what I have, but whenever I do decide to get a new setup I'll take a better look at what they offer. I got my Dad's old receiver and surround sound speakers for now, so I don't have any complaints.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:41 AM
Big White Chocolate

Originally Posted by 2001AudiS4
There is no difference in deciding the size when going between HD or SD content.
Of course it is. 1080 resolution is of no benefit beyond a certain distance. If you have a true 1080 display, you can sit closer before experiencing what is called the screen door effect, or SDE. This effect occurs when you sit too close to a display and the lines between the pixels becomes apparent.

When 1080 resolution matters

Calculating proper viewing distance
Old 07-31-2007, 11:41 AM
Not Asian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow, that's an amazing price on that Samsung. Just sent an email to the gf, she makes more than me.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:10 PM
I shoot people

Originally Posted by phipark
wow, that's an amazing price on that Samsung. Just sent an email to the gf, she makes more than me.
does your gf have a sister
Old 07-31-2007, 12:58 PM
Senior Moderator

I need a sugar mama as well.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:57 PM
Benchwarmer

Damn, Fry's deal is up to $2,000. With shipping and tax we're back to square one.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:36 AM
Pro

Even at $2k it's a darn good price. Amazon had it for $2200, and the 4661F for $2k. Getting the 4665 for the price of the 4661 is excellent.

I would still say go for it.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:11 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrib
Scrib, where did you get this TV, and how much did you pay for it? I'm looking for a new TV right now too. I want something with a high contract ratio (at least 2000:1) and 1080P, with at least 40", but only around $1,500-$1,800.

Quick Reply: High def LCDs