Best TV for +/- $2,000 or not?

Old 11-07-2016, 11:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,574 Likes on 6,625 Posts
Originally Posted by SamDoe1
Right and AndroidTV has cast built in so you don't need another dongle for that TV. It can also download apps from the Play Store just like your phone. I love it, one of the best implementations of TV software I've ever come across.

Samsung makes good TV's but their software leaves a lot to be desired. If you just use a third party streaming device, it doesn't really matter. AndroidTV just makes it so you don't have to. Also, it can stream 4K content internally and transmit the audio out to your external system if desired.
I just picked up a Nexus Player so close enough to Android TV

Yeah, I love Samsung's TV's, hate their software..
Old 11-07-2016, 11:20 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,820 Likes on 3,844 Posts
Nexus player is AndroidTV but I thought they stopped making it? Anyway, what you see on the player is what I see on my TV.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (11-07-2016)
Old 11-07-2016, 11:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Gf's brother got tired of his so just gave it to me
Old 11-07-2016, 12:39 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Nexus player is AndroidTV but I thought they stopped making it? Anyway, what you see on the player is what I see on my TV.
I love my Sony/Android TV.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:48 PM
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 75 Posts
I could care less about smart features built into a TV. I'd rather have an external device that you can upgrade without buying a new TV every few years. My logitech revue has been collecting dust for years... Roku3 replaced it, have been pretty happy since. Google left a bad taste in my mouth with that Revue
Old 11-07-2016, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by atomlinks
I could care less about smart features built into a TV. I'd rather have an external device that you can upgrade without buying a new TV every few years. My logitech revue has been collecting dust for years... Roku3 replaced it, have been pretty happy since. Google left a bad taste in my mouth with that Revue
and then you're updating devices every 2 years.
and the cycle goes on and on. you're not escaping ANYTHING
Old 11-07-2016, 01:01 PM
Senior Moderator

could or couldn't care less
Old 11-07-2016, 01:09 PM
Ex-OEM King

The idea is to NOT upgrade your hardware but instead upgrade your software. Why are you tossing devices out without any real need to do so? What was the rationale for tossing the revue? The Roku is fine but it's not built into the TV and I need yet another remote for it. I can control AndroidTV with my phone and it gets regular software updates for more functionality so there's no need to get something more.
justnspace (11-07-2016)
Old 11-07-2016, 01:16 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by justnspace
and then you're updating devices every 2 years.
and the cycle goes on and on. you're not escaping ANYTHING
I'm not replacing my $2000 TV upstairs and my $2000 TV downstairs every few years.. Give me $100 device to replace every 5-10yrs I want to keep my TV's for 20yrs...

Originally Posted by thoiboi
could or couldn't care less
Give me a break man, I'm from Ohio :-) i know... not an excuse

The idea is to NOT upgrade your hardware but instead upgrade your software. Why are you tossing devices out without any real need to do so? What was the rationale for tossing the revue? The Roku is fine but it's not built into the TV and I need yet another remote for it. I can control AndroidTV with my phone and it gets regular software updates for more functionality so there's no need to get something more.
No OS updates and no way to get Hulu plus did it for me with the revue. I threw my roku remotes in the trash, Harmony remotes rule :-D
Old 11-07-2016, 02:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
Harmony remotes rule :-D

hahahaha. Oh shit, you're serious?
Old 11-07-2016, 02:34 PM

Old 11-07-2016, 02:36 PM
Suzuka Master

In all seriousness, he is correct. A universal remote is the way to go if you have anything more than just a tv. No matter what you do, unless you have a set that is DTV RVU compatible, you WILL be using two remotes without some form of universal remote.

Fact is I have seen more issues with TV built in applications than I ever have with a little $100 Roku. AppleTV is another issue, no thanks. When I get calls about TV's that are rebooting themselves, services that keep logging out on their own, dropping off the network... It gets old. Adding a Roku on all our jobs has eliminated all of those calls.
justnspace (11-07-2016)
Old 11-07-2016, 02:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Have also had to pull TV's off the wall to unplug TVs for a hard reset that locked up completely due to network issues. We COULD flip a breaker, but its not a good idea to have your TV plugged in when you turn the breaker on.
Old 11-07-2016, 03:17 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 2001AudiS4
hahahaha. Oh shit, you're serious?
Ha hell ya I'm serious. I've been using them for years, can't really find a better option... Their device database is probably the best I've seen. I'd love to see all manufacturers using the same RF standards, when the hell is that going to happen? I'm still an IR guy, have a repeater going to the basement for receiver, roku, PC etc Who the hell wants 4 remotes sitting around to confuse everyone that just want to watch some TV. For the OP I don't know which models are best right now, but both my TV's are Samsung and I love them. I still have people amazed at the quality of the picture even though it's 5yrs old. The built in apps on the TV I never use. I've tried them, but just not as reliable as a hard wired roku(or any external device) and HDMI back to the TV.
Old 11-07-2016, 03:56 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by thoiboi
That's sort of how i feel about 'smart TV's' I have a Chromecast and that does everything I need.. I really don't need a poorly implemented Smart TV which will eventually get out of date because Samsung, etc. decides they don't want to update it anymore..
Originally Posted by justnspace
thats why Samsung SUCKS!
Sony has the right idea using Google's Android TV.
Google updates the software pretty frequently!!!
Samsung doesn't update their TVs, just like their phones

Real talk though, gonna seriously consider a Vizio now because of the posts in this thread.
Old 11-08-2016, 09:54 AM
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
BJ's will have this TV for their black friday sale for $900 - Samsung UN65KU6290

Don't care for extra features. we use chromecast and stream to the TV from devices. we unplugged so no cable service. will use antenna if available, otherwise just strictly streaming and movies. this will be our main TV.

Thoughts?
Old 11-08-2016, 10:53 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,287 Likes on 952 Posts
^Supposedly not the good HDR if you care and it won't use it for the One S. Amazon has it for $1,050 right now if you want to lock it in.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN65K.../dp/B01GU9TBQI
Old 11-08-2016, 10:59 AM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by CBP08TL
BJ's will have this TV for their black friday sale for $900 - Samsung UN65KU6290

Don't care for extra features. we use chromecast and stream to the TV from devices. we unplugged so no cable service. will use antenna if available, otherwise just strictly streaming and movies. this will be our main TV.

Thoughts?
The more expensive ones bring a lot more to the table than the streaming features... I'd argue that the software bits for streaming are probably the same. What you pay for is the backlight, panel quality, and image processing of the nicer TV's. A 6 series Samsung is REALLY basic (and I don't mean basic in streaming features) and at that point you might as well grab a Vizio or Hisense for a lot cheaper. I'd recommend an 7 or 8 series at the least.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:21 AM
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Doom878
^Supposedly not the good HDR if you care and it won't use it for the One S. Amazon has it for $1,050 right now if you want to lock it in.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN65K.../dp/B01GU9TBQI
guess there are better options.

The more expensive ones bring a lot more to the table than the streaming features... I'd argue that the software bits for streaming are probably the same. What you pay for is the backlight, panel quality, and image processing of the nicer TV's. A 6 series Samsung is REALLY basic (and I don't mean basic in streaming features) and at that point you might as well grab a Vizio or Hisense for a lot cheaper. I'd recommend an 7 or 8 series at the least.
thanks... there are too many options - which is why i haven't purchased. will keep searching/reading. let me see if i can get in on that 8 series emp sale from samsung
Old 11-08-2016, 11:29 AM
Ex-OEM King

guess there are better options.

thanks... there are too many options - which is why i haven't purchased. will keep searching/reading. let me see if i can get in on that 8 series emp sale from samsung
Another thing to remember is that almost all manufacturers use the 6, 7, 8, 9 series numbering so you can find equivalent models across manufacturers using that numbering scheme. Only exception is Vizio which uses letters but it's in the same order.
Old 11-08-2016, 12:31 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts

Thoughts?
Since you're using tv for movies, you may want to look for one that's 120Hz for smoother playback of video. 60Hz on Samsung UN65KU6290 could produce noticeable judder.... though some people may not mind or notice.
Old 11-08-2016, 12:59 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,287 Likes on 952 Posts
Another thing to remember is that almost all manufacturers use the 6, 7, 8, 9 series numbering so you can find equivalent models across manufacturers using that numbering scheme. Only exception is Vizio which uses letters but it's in the same order.
Might be an LED thing though. LG OLED's are all with 6's but use letters.

OLED TVs: Curved, OLED 4K & Flat OLED | LG USA

Here's one on sale and it ain't cheap

https://slickdeals.net/f/9265299-65-...-free-shipping
Old 11-08-2016, 01:11 PM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by Doom878
Might be an LED thing though. LG OLED's are all with 6's but use letters.

OLED TVs: Curved, OLED 4K & Flat OLED LG USA

Here's one on sale and it ain't cheap

https://slickdeals.net/f/9265299-65-...-free-shipping
OLED is a whole different ball game...

Edit: $2400 for a 65" 4K OLED is a STEAL. Anyone on the fence about a TV in that price range should grab this if they can.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 11-08-2016 at 01:15 PM.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Ha hell ya I'm serious. I've been using them for years, can't really find a better option... Their device database is probably the best I've seen. I'd love to see all manufacturers using the same RF standards, when the hell is that going to happen? I'm still an IR guy, have a repeater going to the basement for receiver, roku, PC etc Who the hell wants 4 remotes sitting around to confuse everyone that just want to watch some TV. For the OP I don't know which models are best right now, but both my TV's are Samsung and I love them. I still have people amazed at the quality of the picture even though it's 5yrs old. The built in apps on the TV I never use. I've tried them, but just not as reliable as a hard wired roku(or any external device) and HDMI back to the TV.
Harmony most definitely does NOT use the best RF standards. For starters, they use blasters. Blasters are for lazy people that don't know what they are doing. Best database is arguable. It's a good database, however it is not utilized correctly. Harmony remotes are SLOW, SLOW, SLOW due to how they operate. They are the best CONSUMER programmable remote, but far from the best universal remote out there.
Old 11-08-2016, 09:25 PM
Racer

I never said harmony uses the best RF Tech. I said that I would like to see the same RF standard used between all manufacturers. Imagine a world without wifi standards, bluetooth standards, usb standards. If it happens, for the love of God please make the shit backwards compatible. IR just works with everything(everything that includes an IR receiver).

Not all harmony remotes use RF and not all harmony remotes use blasters. The new ones with the hub certainly uses both RF and the IR blasters. I have one in my basement and it works very well, nothing slow about it. Upstairs I have an older harmony 650 remote with an IR repeater that runs all of my equipment in the basement(not slow here either). How are you going to do that without using RF? Blasters are for lazy people? Yes, because fishing wire through walls and creating a clean setup without any wires showing in the living area is for lazy people.

Database not utilized correctly? I don't even know what this means. I have been able to add all of my devices over the years easily and set up activities like "Watch TV" so when grandma comes over she can click the button next to "Watch TV" and it turns on the TV, switches to over the air, turns on the amp, sets the right input etc..

You can pick these older harmony remotes up on ebay for around $40 and for what it does... simply amazing for the price.
Stick grandma in front of the TV with 4 remotes on the coffee table. Do you think she'll know what to do?

"Best Universal Remote" that isn't a harmony... Sounds like a sketchy salesman from a custom home audio install place that will try to sell you an overpriced touchscreen system that conveniently can be only supported and installed by them. Service call anyone? No thanks, I like my $35 ebay remote that just works.

I thought this thread was about TV's?
Old 11-08-2016, 10:51 PM
Fk no!TheyldstroyEvrthing

Received 226 Likes on 191 Posts
Sony quality and Google's Android flexibility in unlimited amounts of apps.... it becomes a no-brainer.
Old 11-09-2016, 12:06 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,863 Likes on 2,030 Posts
Originally Posted by RL09
Sony quality
Old 11-09-2016, 12:17 PM
Suzuka Master

I never said harmony uses the best RF Tech. I said that I would like to see the same RF standard used between all manufacturers. Imagine a world without wifi standards, bluetooth standards, usb standards. If it happens, for the love of God please make the shit backwards compatible. IR just works with everything(everything that includes an IR receiver).

Not all harmony remotes use RF and not all harmony remotes use blasters. The new ones with the hub certainly uses both RF and the IR blasters. I have one in my basement and it works very well, nothing slow about it. Upstairs I have an older harmony 650 remote with an IR repeater that runs all of my equipment in the basement(not slow here either). How are you going to do that without using RF? Blasters are for lazy people? Yes, because fishing wire through walls and creating a clean setup without any wires showing in the living area is for lazy people.

Database not utilized correctly? I don't even know what this means. I have been able to add all of my devices over the years easily and set up activities like "Watch TV" so when grandma comes over she can click the button next to "Watch TV" and it turns on the TV, switches to over the air, turns on the amp, sets the right input etc..

You can pick these older harmony remotes up on ebay for around $40 and for what it does... simply amazing for the price.
Stick grandma in front of the TV with 4 remotes on the coffee table. Do you think she'll know what to do?

"Best Universal Remote" that isn't a harmony... Sounds like a sketchy salesman from a custom home audio install place that will try to sell you an overpriced touchscreen system that conveniently can be only supported and installed by them. Service call anyone? No thanks, I like my $35 ebay remote that just works.

I thought this thread was about TV's?
Sorry, but harmony remotes ARE slow. You likely have not seen a properly programmed pro remote if you think otherwise. Harmony is great for a DIYer, but don't be mistaken into thinking it is on the same level as a pro system. It simply is not. The mere fact they do not utilize discreet commands and instead rely on a help button for when things get out of sync is proof of that. I have serviced just about every type of system out there, and without a doubt, the slower, least reliable has been Harmony. Like I said, they are great for the DIYer, but comparing side by side with a pro system, it is NOT an apple to apple comparison.