AVR opinion pls

Old 05-31-2011, 09:37 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AVR opinion pls

From the research I have done - Denon seems to be a great choice for a home theatre setup. (Not to say it is the ONLY choice - as my Yamaha has always been there for me for years now)...but the Denon seems like a nice choice.

I have a Samsung 55" LED (C6900) in the basement and I was given the green light by the 'boss lady' to add some sound down there.

I was looking at the Denon AVR2311 CI, ($500 on Amazon) but then was not sure if there was not much difference as you went down a level or two from that one.

I have the TV like I said (non-3D) and a Blue Ray player and a PS3. Would like to be able to use my iPod with it as well (seems to be common on most)

It listed as 7.2CH? Can I still just do a setup with 2 fronts, a center, a sub and two in-ceiling surrounds?

Any opinions or experience with the Denons at this price level and below?

Any recommended speakers to be used with this Denon? People here have mentioned Phasetech? I do not know jack about what speakers to put with it and would rather solicite any experience from AZ'ers.

I know a lot of questions. I would appreciate any advice.

I would guess my budget cannot exceed $1000.

Thanks all.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:53 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,196 Posts
I am not an audiophile...

My experience with AVR. If you buy a good name brand they will all sound the same to you if you are not an audiophile. They will all run a long time as long as you don't over heat them. Make sure the one you select has more inputs than you think you will ever need or you will run out.

My experience with speakers. You need to listen to them. Make sure the power handling is in line with what the AVR can deliver. You will probably hear differences in the store's sound room to make you feel that one is better than the other. Buy speakers that you can afford that sound good to you. Unless there is something horribly wrong your ears will adjust and they will sound good to you when you have them home.

In my experience you can run a 7.2 AVR in a lower setup such as just two front, 5.1, etc.

Plenty of people here like Denon. I've never owned one. I've owned several harmon kardon and have no reason to abandon the brand. I've read posts here that claim HK overheat easier than Denon. Maybe they do. I've never over heated any of my HK.

Audiophiles will say I'm crazy. I understand their obsession. I'd love to get a tube amp just to say I have one
Old 05-31-2011, 10:04 AM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
Love my Denon. Get the one that best fits your input needs, now and in the immediate future.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:52 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by doopstr
I am not an audiophile...

My experience with AVR. If you buy a good name brand they will all sound the same to you if you are not an audiophile. They will all run a long time as long as you don't over heat them. Make sure the one you select has more inputs than you think you will ever need or you will run out.

My experience with speakers. You need to listen to them. Make sure the power handling is in line with what the AVR can deliver. You will probably hear differences in the store's sound room to make you feel that one is better than the other. Buy speakers that you can afford that sound good to you. Unless there is something horribly wrong your ears will adjust and they will sound good to you when you have them home.

In my experience you can run a 7.2 AVR in a lower setup such as just two front, 5.1, etc.

Plenty of people here like Denon. I've never owned one. I've owned several harmon kardon and have no reason to abandon the brand. I've read posts here that claim HK overheat easier than Denon. Maybe they do. I've never over heated any of my HK.

Audiophiles will say I'm crazy. I understand their obsession. I'd love to get a tube amp just to say I have one
Great reply. I am not one either. The unit I mentioned says 105 watts per channel, 8 ohms, 20hz to 20khz 0.8% THD. Some of the speakers I was looking at started their range at 38 or 40 hz - as an example, is that OK? Some of the speakers also said recommended wattage 100 - so are they no good then for this receiver since it is capable of 105? Or is that splitting hairs at that point?
Old 06-01-2011, 11:38 AM
Team Owner

The speakers only being able to get to 38 or 40 hz is okay. It just means that they can't reproduce 20 hz. With that said you will want to find yourself a sub woofer to get you down to around 20hz for a nice thump.

If your amp can hit 105 watts and your speakers are only rated for 100 then you may need to be careful about not getting near the max volume. I usually try to find speakers that put my amp somewhere in 50-75% range or the speakers recommended max power. If I have an amp that can put out 100 I would try to find speakers that can handle 120-150.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:51 PM
Team Anthracite Member

thanks man - I appreciate the info. Problem with me is I buy stuff (cars, electronics etc) and I keep it until it stops working - so I can't even rememebr when I bought my current receiver and speakers etc. 15 years maybe?? I guess I must buy good quality stuff at least
Old 06-02-2011, 01:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
I have been using the Denon AVR 2311 with no issues. It is a great receiver. Check out the new line however. The XX12 series offers a lot of internet connection capabilities, as well as airplay that will allow you to connect your iPod Touch, iPhone or iPad (and other devices like your computer) to the receiver. You can simply select the song from your iTouch device and have it play on the receiver. You will also have access to internet radio. There are some more options with the new line as well. There is a 1712, 1912, 2112, 2312 (there are more models as well). If you are not interested in the online media, then you can go with the AVR 2311. But the new line really opens up what you can do

http://usa.denon.com/us/Product/Page...9-60aae60e0bdd
Old 06-13-2011, 10:49 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by 2001AudiS4
I have been using the Denon AVR 2311 with no issues. It is a great receiver. Check out the new line however. The XX12 series offers a lot of internet connection capabilities, as well as airplay that will allow you to connect your iPod Touch, iPhone or iPad (and other devices like your computer) to the receiver. You can simply select the song from your iTouch device and have it play on the receiver. You will also have access to internet radio. There are some more options with the new line as well. There is a 1712, 1912, 2112, 2312 (there are more models as well). If you are not interested in the online media, then you can go with the AVR 2311. But the new line really opens up what you can do

http://usa.denon.com/us/Product/Page...9-60aae60e0bdd
Hey thanks for the reply - I had forgotten about this thread. I am glad you did not say the 2311 was garbage cause that is the one I ended up getting The newer models have a couple nice extra features, but nothing I couldn't live without - I put the extra money in the speakers.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TBone2004
Hey thanks for the reply - I had forgotten about this thread. I am glad you did not say the 2311 was garbage cause that is the one I ended up getting The newer models have a couple nice extra features, but nothing I couldn't live without - I put the extra money in the speakers.
Definitely not garbage. It is a very competent receiver. If you do not need the online content, then it is a great choice. Did you also get your speakers already?
Old 06-15-2011, 12:40 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by 2001AudiS4
Definitely not garbage. It is a very competent receiver. If you do not need the online content, then it is a great choice. Did you also get your speakers already?
Yes - ordered them and now they are are slowly arriving. (the surrounds came in yesterday)

I went and spent some time in the AVS forums and researched on my own and ended up going with Definitive Technology speakers for front, center and surround and a HSU sub.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:54 AM
Oliver!!!

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
I can't say enough good about Denon receivers. For those of you using the newer ones (xx11 or xx12) I'm curious about locations and temperatures. I've got a 2809ci in an enclosed cabinet. I've got less than an inch on either side and maybe 4 inches above with no holes in the back or front. I've got a temperature probe in there and it never gets above 115 degrees. By contrast, my buddy's Onkyo gets into the 150s sitting on top of his tv stand with nothing above or to either side of it and the ceiling fan on. He's looking for a replacement, but wants something that can go into one of the cubbys. Do the new Denons run as cool as the older ones?
Old 07-15-2011, 11:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Haven't had any heat issues with any of the xx11 or xx12 series to date.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Ok, I am glad you got the 2311. I have had issues with the 1912 when playing a different source in Zone 2. I swapped the receiver out and still had the same issue. When playing a source in the main zone, it will not play a different source in zone 2. Spoke with Denon on the issue and they pointed the finger at the cable box not being compatible, despite the fact I have literally done HUNDREDS of installs with the same exact cable box. I also swapped the cable box with a known good one from another system in the house to confirm and the problem still existed. It is sad because I have had great luck up until now with Denon. I will have to switch back over to Yamaha, at least until this issue is resolved.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:01 PM
Suzuka Master

I wanted to add to this thread. I have switched over to Yamaha. The latest generation of Denon is less impressive then years past. IMHO there are too many receivers in the line. They eliminated the separate 3 and 4 digit model numbers and decided to go with one. In doing so they have a bunch more models they they need in my opinion. I also had some issues with the 1912 as I stated above, and Denon was of NO help if figuring out what the issue was. They simply told me the cable system that I have been using for the past 8 years doing the same install, was not compatible.

Yamaha on the other hand has just the right amount of receivers in the Aventage line, and they are more knowledgeable. Another GREAT aspect to the Yamaha's is that they offer a COMPLETE list of discreet hex codes, including a discreet Pandora code. These codes are not available to everyone however. You have to be a dealer. If someone goes with a new Aventage receiver and needs specific codes, send me a PM and I can get you the right hex codes.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:12 PM
Team Owner

What do you need hex codes for?
Old 11-28-2011, 03:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Depending on what control system you opt for, all the codes may not be available in their IR databases. I don't know of any that are 100% complete. For instance if you wish to tune to Pandora, with Yamaha you press the NET button. The same NET code is available in all the control systems databases. This code will toggle between all of the net functions on the receiver. So you have to scroll through Net Radio, Sirius Internet Radio, Napster, Rhapsody, and the others as well. With the discreet codes I have available, I can simply program in the discreet code for Pandora. I think there are over 2000 codes listed in the Yamaha PAB website (available to dealers only). Imagine if they had a 2000 button remote, that would be fun to use :-)
Old 12-03-2011, 03:51 PM
Team Owner

Anyone have anything bad to say about a Pioneer VSX-1021? It can be had at newegg for $300 with code. EMCYTZT929

It seems to have a couple of features that I want, AirPlay and the ability to run a second zone. I want to put a rock speaker in my backyard and be able to control zone 2 from an iPod Touch or iPad. I want to start Pandora on the iPod/iPad, and stream it to the receiver via airplay and play on rock speaker (zone 2) in my backyard. Seems like a good deal
Old 12-03-2011, 09:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
I;m about to spring for a Yamaha 667 receiver as I do not feel that an extra $100+ is worth it for network connectivity.....
Old 12-04-2011, 06:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
I;m about to spring for a Yamaha 667 receiver as I do not feel that an extra $100+ is worth it for network connectivity.....
Yamaha's network features work well and is worth the extra money IMHO. If you want to stream off other players, then it is not necessary I suppose.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:06 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Anyone have anything bad to say about a Pioneer VSX-1021? It can be had at newegg for $300 with code. EMCYTZT929

It seems to have a couple of features that I want, AirPlay and the ability to run a second zone. I want to put a rock speaker in my backyard and be able to control zone 2 from an iPod Touch or iPad. I want to start Pandora on the iPod/iPad, and stream it to the receiver via airplay and play on rock speaker (zone 2) in my backyard. Seems like a good deal
I picked up the Elite VSX-51 a few months ago and it's waiting to get installed. Everything I've read is that the 1021 and the Elite cousins are pretty nice. And they work well with iOS and AirPlay.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:31 PM
Team Owner

I got my Pioneer VSX-1021 setup this weekend. The remote is a POS. It's overly complicated and on top of it mine is broken. It works for a bit and then most of the buttons stop working. I'm guessing it's a bad remote because when I replace the batteries it works for a while. I'm going to call Pioneer and get a replacement. Good thing I have a Harmony because I wouldn't want to use this remote full-time anyway. There are way to many buttons and they are all very close together and small.

I haven't had any luck getting Airplay to work yet, but I haven't put much time into it. The iPad app is meh.

Last edited by doopstr; 12-11-2011 at 08:34 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
I have a Pioneer VSX 1121-K that I'm very happy with. Only complaint is the remote, but I use a Harmony One. Haven't played with AirPlay through the ipad/iphone much yet though.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Good thing I have a Harmony
That's like an oxymoron
Old 12-13-2011, 12:06 PM
Team Owner

I've had a few days to listen to VSX-1021 and I've become very happy with it. I have no idea what kind of tuning voodoo the MCACC did when I ran it but my system sounds better than it used to. I got the airplay running and being able to control Pandora from my iPad to the AVR is pretty suite. It also runs much cooler than my old AVR.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:28 AM
Rich and Famous

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by TBone2004
From the research I have done - Denon seems to be a great choice for a home theatre setup.
I was looking at the Denon AVR2311 CI, ($500 on Amazon) but then was not sure if there was not much difference as you went down a level or two from that one.

I have the TV like I said (non-3D) and a Blue Ray player and a PS3. Would like to be able to use my iPod with it as well (seems to be common on most)

It listed as 7.2CH? Can I still just do a setup with 2 fronts, a center, a sub and two in-ceiling surrounds?

Any opinions or experience with the Denons at this price level and below?

Any recommended speakers to be used with this Denon? People here have mentioned Phasetech? I do not know jack about what speakers to put with it and would rather solicite any experience from AZ'ers.

I know a lot of questions. I would appreciate any advice.

I would guess my budget cannot exceed $1000.

Thanks all.
I have a new Denon AVR2112CI w Sony KDL55HX729, Blueray, and Paradigm LR Atoms and CC190 Center speaker.
See the show off thread for pict in my great room. https://acurazine.com/forums/home-theater-electronics-45/home-theatre-showoff-thread-832391/

I considered Amazon but went Local Dealer.
They was a lot of tweaks and 1 of my speakers was replaced.
It would have been cheapper at Amazon but with the tweaks and squeaks ... Amazon would have been problem. There prices are good but distance is far and wanted a very custom install ...
Based on your questions - I would suggest ...
1. Invest on speakers more than AVR. 2 subs are not required.
2. 90 % of quality sound comes from your LRC speakers
and 10 % from Sub and rear /sides. Placement and seperation is more important than quantity of speakers.
I might add Sub but doubt the back and side speakers.
3. Consider an AVR power conditioner, battery backup, or at least surge protector along with amplified FM or outdoor att.

If u need more im me ...

Last edited by EL_PIC; 12-21-2011 at 11:31 AM.