undecided on sectional or loveseat and sofa

Old 07-23-2008, 03:48 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
undecided on sectional or loveseat and sofa

I have a new really good size living room to furnish. Im not sure whether to get a nice sectional or the traditional loveseat and sofa.

For some reason I used to alway think that sectionals were for people who had space restrictions. Thats certainly not the case for me in my new living room.

Some perks of the sectional is it has a cool comfy chaise lounge on one end, the whole piece can seat quite a few, and there are more positions to get comfy in, especially laying straight out without any worries about hitting the side.

Some cons would be that it is a very large piece, have a big presence. Also it make accents pieces hard to incorporate because the floor space is swallowed up.

The traditional loveseat and sofa I suppose is classic and timeless and functional, but it seems a little to expected?

Has anyone else been confused over this situation. Heres a pic of a similar section that Ive been eyeing.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:52 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have that exact sectional setup and i love it.. it's upstairs in the loft infront of the big tv, it's perfect for lots of people or just laying down and watching TV

For the downstairs living room we'll probably go more formal with seperate pieces but if formality isn't much of a concern [not sure why a sectional doesn't look as formal but whatever] i'd go with a sectional, very comfy and if you're tired you can just roll over and nap!
Old 07-23-2008, 04:04 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by fleshy
I have that exact sectional setup and i love it.. it's upstairs in the loft infront of the big tv, it's perfect for lots of people or just laying down and watching TV

For the downstairs living room we'll probably go more formal with seperate pieces but if formality isn't much of a concern [not sure why a sectional doesn't look as formal but whatever] i'd go with a sectional, very comfy and if you're tired you can just roll over and nap!

I think im leaning towards the sectional. I thing i was concerned it wouldnt look formal/classy enough.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts
Rodney, I'm in the same predicament as you lol. Actually I'm going to the furniture store, for like the 10th time this month lol, after work. My formal living room is quite spacious and currently absolutely empty. I am leaning towards the sectional for the precise reasons you mentioned above. However, this formal living room would be primarily to entertain guests rather than lounging so I have considered the separate furniture pieces because of the aforementioned more classic, traditional styling. I probably will add an audio system but may defer on a television since I already have a comfortable family room where I spend the bulk of my time with leather sofa, lazyboy, plasma tv, etc. I may add a chandelier to the formal living room as well in the future, currently has a fan and 9 recessed lights.

I think it ultimately depends on how much time you're going to spend there. If it's substantial I'd go for the sectional. If it's for entertaining guests I'd go separate.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:17 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
We have a sectional and it's been awesome! Ours is a slightly different configuration than yours (no chaise jutting out, but one end would be considered a chaise without an armrest). The lack of arm rest is actually nice because it allows taller people to use the chaise as well and makes the room appear slightly more open and airy --- no big, bulky armrest in your visual path when you walk in the room.

We also got the matching ottoman, which is a huge and rectangular....definitely big enough for a few people to rest their feet, or to be used with a big wooden tray on top for food or drinks during a party. It's also big enough to be to scale with the rest of the couch, but doesn't block too much passage space or room from the rest of living room when not directly against the couch. If our ottoman started at the outside of the arm rest (see pic), it ends in the middle of the second cushion (from the arm rest). It looks like an ottoman would block people in and take of a lot of room with the configuration of the sectional you posted, so that would be a concern of mine with the specific pic you posted.

Our sectional is comfortable and roomy enough for both of us to sit or lay on at the same time (don't forget Dan is 6'5"). It's been wonderful for parties and when we have guests over -- we've easily had 7 - 8 people seated comfortably.

IMO, sofa + loveseat is limiting in terms of seating, and you definitely can't sprawl out on them the way you can a sectional. I find you can only seat ~3 people on a couch and another 2 on a loveseat, and that's it...and it always seems like someone is squished against an armrest. A sectional gives smaller groups more of a comfort zone and room to spread out. If I were to get a sofa + loveseat, I probably wouldn't get a matching set though...that seems way too formal, boring, and out-of-date; I'd likely get one that compliments the other, but that isn't a matching pair (eg: different piece altogether, or if the matching piece - a different colour or pattern). Two different pieces would add a lot more style and interest, if you're going that route.

EDIT: Just found a pic of ours. I wish our pillows were bigger so there would be less of them -- I think it would look more modern, but The chaise has one big bottom pillow though. Oh, and although it looks leather, it's not.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:38 AM
Yes, he did that

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sectional all the way - that one looks great.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:10 AM
Suzuka Master

I like to break up the seating arrangement - gives people room to move around plus if youre sitting in the middle you dont have a corner spot to put your food/drink on, unless theres a table right in front of you.

Right now, all I have space for is this, but Im looking at adding another chair - If I had room, Id go loveseat. I had a sectional before and for football games it didnt fit as many people because it was too bulky.

Its this design, but not as ugly. Love the built in ottoman thingy.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:15 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Sofa + Loveseat
Old 07-24-2008, 10:54 AM
Make MyTL Great Again

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I went with 2 (3 seater) sofas for my place. Sure I could have went with the loveseat but they were basically the same price and I have the room.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by SakiGT
plus if youre sitting in the middle you dont have a corner spot to put your food/drink on, unless theres a table right in front of you.
True.

Yeah, we could a glass buffet table (long, skinny rectangle) behind, that goes the length of the chaise part of our sectional -- from the middle spot to the last upright pillow along the chaise - for the exact reason you mentioned. The table, aside from a spot decorative pieces, gives people a place to put their stuff. We have a small glass end table at the other end of the sectional (the one with the armrest), and the ottoman + large wooden tray provides yet another place for food and drinks if we set it up that way.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:07 AM

You could also do a regular sofa + a few nice club chairs (is that what they're called?) instead of a loveseat.... Two club chairs would look stylish and STILL provide the same seating a loveseat would....just another avenue.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:25 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Street Spirit
We have a sectional and it's been awesome! Ours is a slightly different configuration than yours (no chaise jutting out, but one end would be considered a chaise without an armrest). The lack of arm rest is actually nice because it allows taller people to use the chaise as well and makes the room appear slightly more open and airy --- no big, bulky armrest in your visual path when you walk in the room.

We also got the matching ottoman, which is a huge and rectangular....definitely big enough for a few people to rest their feet, or to be used with a big wooden tray on top for food or drinks during a party. It's also big enough to be to scale with the rest of the couch, but doesn't block too much passage space or room from the rest of living room when not directly against the couch. If our ottoman started at the outside of the arm rest (see pic), it ends in the middle of the second cushion (from the arm rest). It looks like an ottoman would block people in and take of a lot of room with the configuration of the sectional you posted, so that would be a concern of mine with the specific pic you posted.

Our sectional is comfortable and roomy enough for both of us to sit or lay on at the same time (don't forget Dan is 6'5"). It's been wonderful for parties and when we have guests over -- we've easily had 7 - 8 people seated comfortably.

IMO, sofa + loveseat is limiting in terms of seating, and you definitely can't sprawl out on them the way you can a sectional. I find you can only seat ~3 people on a couch and another 2 on a loveseat, and that's it...and it always seems like someone is squished against an armrest. A sectional gives smaller groups more of a comfort zone and room to spread out. If I were to get a sofa + loveseat, I probably wouldn't get a matching set though...that seems way too formal, boring, and out-of-date; I'd likely get one that compliments the other, but that isn't a matching pair (eg: different piece altogether, or if the matching piece - a different colour or pattern). Two different pieces would add a lot more style and interest, if you're going that route.

EDIT: Just found a pic of ours. I wish our pillows were bigger so there would be less of them -- I think it would look more modern, but The chaise has one big bottom pillow though. Oh, and although it looks leather, it's not.

thanks for all the insight!
Old 07-25-2008, 01:59 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
We have a sectional like the 1st one. the 2 seats near the lamp recline and they are comfortable
Old 07-25-2008, 02:25 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
I had a sectional in the orig pic format built for my greatroom... I did that so that I could add onto it if needed... the room is huge... or make it smaller and put it upstairs in the gameroom... If you have one built you also have the option of having ends built for it and separating the pieces....

...sectional FTW!
Old 07-26-2008, 04:40 PM
Bent = #1

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
We just received our sectional today from Macy's. Love it in the room, but the blue rug is going to go

Old 07-26-2008, 05:12 PM
Drifting

looks great!! Im thinking of getting the same color, just a bit darker.. love how the dog staked out the chaise lounge part... its aslo great that he just drooling all over, hes marking his territory
Old 07-27-2008, 09:26 AM
Bent = #1

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Yeah he loves it I don't mind him being up there, but I'm not going to allow him to bring toys (bones) up there to chew on. It'll eliminate some drool
Old 07-28-2008, 12:27 AM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
I can't own those Microfiber sofas. I spend all day making sure the nap is all laying down in the same direction!

Yeah, Jeopardy is on at 5, then Judge Wopner, yeah, Judge Wopner. I am a very good driver.

Love the sectionals though. I have a similar one in leather with the extended chaise and it rocks.

Last edited by stogie1020; 07-28-2008 at 12:30 AM.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:29 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by stogie1020
I can't own those Microfiber sofas. I spend all day making sure the nap is all laying down in the same direction!

Yeah, Jeopardy is on at 5, then Judge Wopner, yeah, Judge Wopner. I am a very good driver.

Love the sectionals though. I have a similar one in leather with the extended chaise and it rocks.

Truly one of my favorite movies of all time!!!

Do you have the brown as well. If so, i believe then it must be the new hot color, me you and that girl above are all rockin' it.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:57 AM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
That is my exact sofa, except mine is a darker brown. Love it!
Old 07-29-2008, 07:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
sectional FTW
Old 07-31-2008, 12:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

Sectional FTW

Thats what we have and it looks like Macys has their sale which offers "no tax."
Orig price was $2600, on sale at $1999 and they credit you the tax so its $1999 + a 75 delivery charge (3 years ago, at least)

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/index....Type=EverGreen