Shed

Old 01-26-2006, 04:47 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shed

Looking to get a shed for some extra storage space. Has any bought a pre built one from someone like Shed USA and what is your opinion on it.

Also might lean towards building one myself. Any recomdation were to get a good set of plans? I have seen some were you down load them from on line. Has any tried them?
Old 01-26-2006, 06:11 PM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Built a shed at my last home without plans. Had the idea in my head and it came out beautiful. Ended up looking like a cottage in the woods when I was done rather than a Plain Jane Shed.

I personally hate the look of the mass produced sheds. It's extra work to do it yourself, but in the end you'll have a shed that's unique and can have much more detail than what you can buy from a mass-builder.

I'm building an even bigger/better one this spring.. I really want to re-do the interior of my garage and need someplace to put all my crap first.

Do you have basic construction skills? I don't mean professional, but would you consider yourself handy? I guess what I'm asking is does the thought of building one yourself sound exciting or scary? Your answer to that will be a good predictor as to whether you should do it yourself or not.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:32 PM
East Coast Boost.!

I agree.

Building your own shed would be more work, but it will also be custom and fitted to your actual needs and space. I built one with my old man a few years ago. We really wanted to buy one cause it was a pain to build, but the prices were ridiculous. We have a lot of shit so we need space though. The shed ended up being 16x9 and 8ft high roof with a slight pitch for water to run off. It's against the side of the garage. Total cost about 900 in materials, the prebuilts would have been 3k+ with inferior materials.

This is not like changing a lightbulb or tire, but if you're handy and have basic tools you should be able to tackle it with minor problems.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:44 PM
Racer

I am pretty handy and can grab a friend that is pretty knowledgeable and give it a try.

My parents have a pre built one so we can take a look at it to get the general idea of how to do it.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Yeah, I got one of those deals from Homedepot.... 8x12. Should have gotten bigger, but I would have needed a building permit for anything larger...

If I had to do it over again, I'd probably build one myself, but at the time I wanted something and wanted something quick.

It works, but I know I could have done better myself (and I'm an amateur)...

Old 01-27-2006, 10:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Greenie...that looks like a pretty nice shed to me.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by juniorbean
Greenie...that looks like a pretty nice shed to me.
It is nice... But for 1800 I could have built one better IMHO... The construction is good, but since it was assembled onsite from prefabbed peices, it could be better.

I've got to redo the ramp and the selve I paid extra for, and I wish I had gone bigger (it's slowly filling up with stuff). I also wish that I'd had a roll up door (like a garage) on one end and a regular door on another...

After building a 2 car garage with my step dad a few years ago, I've seen the benefits of building it yourself... Cheaper, better, but definitely not faster

If I ever get another house, I'll definitely build my own shed....