Pool help for the newly pool newbie...

Old 06-13-2008, 07:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
Pool help for the newly pool newbie...

as some of you know from my other thread, i closed on my house a few days ago... well priority number one is to open the pool since i want to try to get it running since it has been sitting for over a year (don't think they opened it last year)... anyway, this is my first pool ever, i am a total noob to this stuff... it is a 15' round above ground pool (estimated)

yesterday i went to the house and i started to siphon out the residual water that has collected on top of the pool cover (also got a mouthful of dirty pool water in the process )... but the owner told me that the pool uses an underground filter (it is bigger and better than any above ground filter for a pool this size)... does anyone know how i can tell the direction of flow the water should be coming into/out of the pump??? i can elimante which tube goes where by the length of the hoses, but i just want to make sure...

also, do i need to prime the pump to get out any air in the system, if so how is this done???

also what kinda of chemicals do i need to pick up??? i found a whole container of Shock in the shed...

i can take some pics this afternoon if it will help... thanks in advanced...
Old 06-13-2008, 11:45 AM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
In my experience, (have had a pool my whole life) the inlet for the pump will be on the front, there's probably some kind of plexi glass cover with 2 knobs and what looks like a strainer inside. That's the secondary skimmer. Heres a pic

the outlet that comes out of the top of the pump is what goes back to the pool or into a sand filter.

On the sand filter there should be a selector switch on the top, you'll want to make sure its set to filter. Because the pool has been unused for so long your going to need to prime the system again. Start with the sand filter, remove the top 5-10 bolts and fill it with the hose. Then replace the top and prime the pump, to do this, remove the glass part and fill that compartment with water close and turn on. You'll probably need a good few cycles of this before it starts drawing it's own water.

As for chemicals when you get the filtration system running pour a bunch of chlorine in the pool probably close to 4 gallons to shock the hell out of it. and leave the pump running for a few days. For maintenance doses 1-2/gal per week is probably good. You will also need some algaecide and it's a good idea to get a Ph test kit since your are new to pool maintenance. This will help you keep the pool chemicals in balance to they dont burn your eyes or anything, once you get the hang of it though you probably won't use it anymore.

Also do yourself a favor for next year and buy a submersible pump to take the water off the cover, they are under $100 and save getting that nasty ass water in your mouth.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When we first got a pool I called a local service company and had them check it out. They did the necessary chemical stuff to get it going and taught me how to do it myself. Money well spent.

You can also find a lot on pool maintenance on the web.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:15 PM
Senior Moderator

do i just google pool maintenance???

and thanks dougler... i will get a pic of the pump setup this afternoon...
Old 06-13-2008, 12:24 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
These guys are the experts on all things pool. Saved me about $3zillion in the last couple years, and helped me understand the whole pool thing much better.

That said, having a service do the opening might be a good idea. You did have a pool inspector check it out as part of the house purchase right?
Old 06-13-2008, 12:36 PM
200,000 mile club

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
Don't even think twice about....Have someone come out and look your system over. You will learn what to do and how to do it. I bought my house 2 years ago and knew nothing.. Now, I have already updated my pump and clorinator on my own. Run the filter all day and night when the temps are hot. Alge is a killer when the water gets warm. Good luck man!
Old 06-13-2008, 12:43 PM
Senior Moderator

well the previous owner owns a pool company... i told him i know nothing about pools so i may ask him to stop by sometime this weekend to show me everything... i just wanted to get a bit of a headstart on it since i wouldn't mind jumping in on Sunday... gotta enjoy the mortgage payment one way or another since im not moved in yet...

took a risk on the pool, my inspector didn't do pools... but i rolled the dice since the owner's business is in pools, i would have guessed if it is his profession, then the best pool he would have working is his owns... (hence the reason he used an underground pump instead of a standard)
Old 06-13-2008, 06:16 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
+10 on having a pro set things up properly and getting it in good running order.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mmade22
...Run the filter all day and night when the temps are hot. Alge is a killer when the water gets warm.
How come you run the pump so much?

I use a good algacide (Bio Guard) and only run 6-8 hours a day and have no alge problems.
Old 06-14-2008, 11:08 AM
Unofficial Goat

Originally Posted by Zippee

I use a good algacide (Bio Guard) and only run 6-8 hours a day and have no alge problems.
That's how we usually operate as well, unless it's thursday and we know a bunch of people are coming over friday or sat then we'll run it straight through to make sure it's nice and clean and the temperature is spot on.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Same here. We've never run the filter more then 8 hours per day during swim season. We actually had some algae form this winter (we don't cover/close our pool), so we cleaned the pool this spring, use a good algacide, and still no problems.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:30 PM
Senior Moderator

here are the pics...

currently have a green pool...

filter pics...

looks like most of the rails are rusted... don't understand this since i thought that being that it is designed for a pool, shouldn't these thing not rust??? would i be able to remove these one by one and sand them down and repaint them???

got the filter running this afternoon... haven't added the chemicals yet... on plan for tomorrow...
Old 06-18-2008, 12:09 AM
Unofficial Goat

I'm not familiar with above ground pools but I would be pretty hesitant about pulling off those top rails, they could be part of a mechanism that holds the top of the liner up.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:09 AM
Senior Moderator

i will check pool forums... but the liner is a overlap... it should be held on with a clip underneath that rail, but i will def triple check first... thanks!!!
Old 06-18-2008, 08:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

my parents used to have above ground pool, there are metal rails that go around underneath those top rails to support the sides. However just dump in chlorine and Stop Yellow and Shock. my dad always added some of that and then cleaned the pool when it got green like that.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:55 AM
J35A8

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
IMO pools are a PITA.
Make sure you do not drain your pool, you'll mess up the lining.
My dad's house in Nutley has an inground, besides the cost of filling 12K gallons of water, the upkeep is a royal pain. Pumps/Filters always breaking, winterizing etc..
BTW your pool is awfully close to your house, my dad's pool needed a special permit to build close to the house. Not sure if it applies to above ground pools though.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:57 AM
Racer

No point in running the filter without killing the greenies. Shock the crap out of it. Green will be gone in 24 hrs. Filter will need cleaning a couple times while it gets the dead bodies of the greenies out. Get the ph right, and then keep it balanced with chlorine, calcium and so on.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:03 AM
Make MyTL Great Again

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My opinion from looking at your pictures is that the pool and everything connected is old ass shit. The rails shouldn't be rusting...the fact that they are shows it's old ass shit. Taking off the top rail you will have to worry about the whole thing coming apart. I'm going to guess everything is 20 years old which is past it's life expectancy. The pool at my mothers house is probably 15 years old. We've replaced the liner, pump, and replace the sand in the filter every year. The only thing original is the frame.

I wouldn't expect your stuff to last much longer if it still works.

Earlier you mentioned that the owner said he had an underground filter. What you have in your picutres is not underground.

Last edited by AdamNJ; 06-18-2008 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by johnnysquire
No point in running the filter without killing the greenies. Shock the crap out of it. Green will be gone in 24 hrs. Filter will need cleaning a couple times while it gets the dead bodies of the greenies out. Get the ph right, and then keep it balanced with chlorine, calcium and so on.
yeah i just ran it to make sure everything was working but turned it off after i went home... i have the chemicals ready... when i get home today i will get to filling up a bit more water and then add the chemicals... do i wait a day or two then test the water???
Old 06-18-2008, 11:16 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by AdamNJ
[Pool and equipment are old]

Earlier you mentioned that the owner said he had an underground filter. What you have in your picutres is not underground.
I'd squeeze the seller as hard as possible on the condition of everything, and maybe talk to the realtor/closing lawyer if the seller claimed it was in good shape. I'm sure the reason he didn't open the pool is because it looks shabby, not whatever excuse he gave.

I think the OP meant it was a filter for an "in-ground" pool, not that the filter itself was under the ground.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:20 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by KaMLuNg
yeah i just ran it to make sure everything was working but turned it off after i went home... i have the chemicals ready... when i get home today i will get to filling up a bit more water and then add the chemicals... do i wait a day or two then test the water???
Test the PH now and adust. Good ph will help the chlorine work. Test chlorine (and add) at least daily until the water is clear.

Fish out the leaves/etc. ASAP.

Leave the filter running for the next couple days to circulate. Add chlorine/shock as needed.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by AdamNJ
My opinion from looking at your pictures is that the pool and everything connected is old ass shit. The rails shouldn't be rusting...the fact that they are shows it's old ass shit. Taking off the top rail you will have to worry about the whole thing coming apart. I'm going to guess everything is 20 years old which is past it's life expectancy. The pool at my mothers house is probably 15 years old. We've replaced the liner, pump, and replace the sand in the filter every year. The only thing original is the frame.

I wouldn't expect your stuff to last much longer if it still works.

well if you look at my other thread with the pics of the house, you can see that the age of the pool is a good reflection of the age of the house right? but getting a new pool is not exactly a priority for me right now... even if things are old ass sh!t, as long as it still works, albeit a couple more years, ill foot the bill then, not now when i can use the money for other stuff... i am just looking to get the pool open this summer so i can jump in and at least enjoy one part of my house since im not living there yet...

oh well im a noob on filters... thanks... he either said it was an underground or a bigger one than needed for the pool...
Old 06-18-2008, 12:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

That pool needs some serious help.

Chlorine will not kill the alge. They make different algacides for the various alges, you gotta know what's growing in there to treat it properly.

Spend the bucks and get a pro out to clean it up, get the chemistry right and check out the filter and pump.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:25 PM
Racer

That pool needs some serious help.

Chlorine will not kill the alge. They make different algacides for the various alges, you gotta know what's growing in there to treat it properly.

Spend the bucks and get a pro out to clean it up, get the chemistry right and check out the filter and pump.
Don't get Kamlung all excited. My pool was just as green when I opened it, and it was non-green in less than a day, and perfectly clear within a couple days. No professional involved - just bleach (I have a plaster pool, not sure if straight chlorine is good for plastic), brushing, a little acid (for the pH) and filtering.

The algae that chlorine won't kill is the kind that grows on shaded surfaces. If he has that, a little copper algaecide (blue stuff) and brushing will clean it right up.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:31 PM
Unofficial Goat

Originally Posted by korrupted
IMO pools are a PITA.
Make sure you do not drain your pool, you'll mess up the lining.
My dad's house in Nutley has an inground, besides the cost of filling 12K gallons of water, the upkeep is a royal pain. Pumps/Filters always breaking, winterizing etc..
BTW your pool is awfully close to your house, my dad's pool needed a special permit to build close to the house. Not sure if it applies to above ground pools though.
We've had my pool for 16 years now, original liner, and there's still lots of life left in it. We've had the pump repaired once about $200 bucks and about 5 years in we had to get a new heater core because ours got jammed up with calcium about 400 bucks, since then we have been using a calcium chemical and it's been fine. The maintenance is not bad either, a few gallons for chlorine on tuesday and vaccum/skim on thursday and it's good to go. THe amount of time we spend maintaining it is no more than if we had grass in the back yard cutting it every week. And winterizing only takes like 4 hours, it's not a big deal.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:33 PM
Unofficial Goat

Originally Posted by johnnysquire
Don't get Kamlung all excited. My pool was just as green when I opened it, and it was non-green in less than a day, and perfectly clear within a couple days. No professional involved - just bleach (I have a plaster pool, not sure if straight chlorine is good for plastic), brushing, a little acid (for the pH) and filtering.

The algae that chlorine won't kill is the kind that grows on shaded surfaces. If he has that, a little copper algaecide (blue stuff) and brushing will clean it right up.
Brushing is key, get the stuff off where it's attached so it's mixed in really well with the algaecide and then it gets picked up by the filter. Normally 2 days after opening with a bunch of chlorine and algaecide the pool should be pretty clean.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:04 PM
Senior Moderator

yeah i have already bought a gallon of algecide with the shock... yesterday when i was getting the leaves from the bottom, i could see the algae moving around with the water... i will brush to today and run the filters with algaecide and shock when i get home...
Old 06-20-2008, 02:52 PM
Senior Moderator

so in the process of scrubbing the bottom of my pool yesterday, the brush fell off the pole.. so now it is buried somewhere in the pool i will have to fish it out tonight...

but i am impressed... the pool went from murky swamp thang green to cloudy blueish white in an hour after i dumped the chemicals in... filter has been running for a little under 24 hr so far.. will check on it when i get home from work...
Old 06-26-2008, 10:34 AM
Unofficial Goat

Well it looks like I'm going to eat my words, our pool heater finally craped out after 15 or so odd years of reliable service. Going to pick up a new one today.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:55 PM
Make MyTL Great Again

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by KaMLuNg
but i am impressed... the pool went from murky swamp thang green to cloudy blueish white in an hour after i dumped the chemicals in... filter has been running for a little under 24 hr so far.. will check on it when i get home from work...
How is it doing? new pics?
Old 06-28-2008, 10:46 AM
Senior Moderator

it is crystal clear... had the filter running 24/7... but with this shoddy weather and rain, haven't been able to jump in yet...

will take pics this afternoon when i go over there to mow the lawn!!!
Old 07-07-2008, 12:57 PM
Senior Moderator

sorry they are late... here you go...

i have been away all weekend so i will need to check on it this afternoon after work... hopefully i don't come back to disaster...
Old 07-07-2008, 01:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

chemicals and filter work great....looks nice
Old 07-07-2008, 04:40 PM
Senior Moderator

i think i need to think about an auto cleaner... i find myself having to vacuum it every few days...
Old 07-07-2008, 08:15 PM
Senior Moderator

hmmm i think i have a leak somewhere... the water level dropped about a foot over the last 4-5 days... is that right???

anyway for me to track down a leak in the liner???
Old 07-08-2008, 01:31 AM
Unofficial Goat

Wow a foot is a pretty significant drop. We usually lose about an inch due to evaporation every week or so.