New Concrete and Salt

Old 10-28-2005, 07:53 AM
Creepy guy in the mirror.

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
New Concrete and Salt

I am getting a new sidewalk poured at the house this morning. Is it bad to use salt in the first year of a sidewalk to melt snow? I had heard that, but dont know if it is true.

BTW. They have been doing full reconstruction on my street for the last 2 months - everything sewer, water, storm - new asphalt and sidewalk. I told them I wanted to replace my brick walkway to the front door with concrete - about 80 sq.ft. that wasnt part of the reconstruction. They did it for me for 2 cases of beer.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aren't there other products out there for sidewalks that shouldn't harm them like rock salt?
Old 10-28-2005, 10:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by anothercls
Aren't there other products out there for sidewalks that shouldn't harm them like rock salt?
Even the non rock salt stuff isn't that great either... it's the freeze thaw cycles that are really the cause of damage... My old sidewalk took a beating last year. It's small (less the 40 sq ft.) so I'm not worried about it...

http://www.icemelter.ca/traction/roofs_e.php

Ice Melters and Concrete
Most concrete damage is a result of the natural effects of freeze-thaw cycles, not a chemical attack by an ice melter. Moisture seeps into the surface pores and cracks in the concrete,and as it changes to ice, expands and puts pressure on surrounding surfaces. Stress on weaker areas in the concrete may result in cracking or surface deterioration.

Using an ice melter increases the number of freeze-thaw cycles, and the potential for damage to concrete. However, the hazards and risk of injury associated with slippery surfaces must be weighed against this.

Properly air-entrained concrete designed for cold weather climates (as recommended by the Portland Cement Association) has a network of tiny air pockets that allow it to accommodate freeze-thaw cycles.

Poor quality surfaces may not withstand the stress associated with these cycles. Ice melter is not recommended on the following surfaces; concrete that is less than 1 year old, masonry (stone or brick), precast concrete (steps or paving stones), stone or concrete surfaces that are chipped, cracked, spalled or have exposed aggregate.

Here are some recommendations for reducing the risk of damage to concrete:

Apply ice melter at recommended rates
Use a push type or hand held ice melter spreader An ice melter with an environmentally inert dye marker can make it easier to prevent overapplication
Use an ice melter with extended refreezing protection
Remove slush and water before refreezing occurs
Avoid using ice melters on non air-entrained concrete or other vulnerable surfaces
Apply a commercial strength sealer when dry
Old 10-28-2005, 02:46 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
It's true and it sucks cause you can't do anything about it. If you drive through snow and the road has been salted, you park in the driveway and it's there...
Old 11-08-2005, 08:53 AM

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts
^^ My driveway was put in a few years ago in the fall and by the next spring there were little marks all through the driveway just from driving and parking on it. It's pretty noticeable too :shakehead
Old 11-08-2005, 09:06 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,059 Likes on 1,143 Posts
Which is more resilient to salt, concrete or asphalt?

I guess a good powerwash in the spring would help the driveway?
Old 11-08-2005, 11:35 AM
Creepy guy in the mirror.

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
From the sounds of why salt is bad for concrete I would say it is easier on asphalt. Asphalt has some give and flexibilty unlike hard concrete.

Well the junkies walking up and down my walk better have good shoes, cause I aint using ice melter this winter.

On a side point - one of the junkies put nice footprints in my new sidewalk... Jackasses!!!