Looking to buy a Mattress, need advice please!

Old 07-09-2008, 04:59 PM
Making it Happen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking to buy a Mattress, need advice please!

So, I'm shopping for a new mattress and I may not be able to get what I want in my price range, but was looking for any advice on where the best deals are or anything else you may want to add.

Requirements:
Limited motion transfer
Queen Plush
Last for at least 5 years.
Mattress only, looking to spend about $650

I was looking at the Beautyrest Classic from Simmons on 1800mattress for $619, but epinions has horrible reviews on Simmons mattress. Any advice?
Old 07-09-2008, 05:10 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
There's really no why to give advise on this.

The mattress makers are incahoots with the people that sell them. The make the same mattress for all, each seller calls it something different and the makers use different style material and stitch so you can't compare them.

There's no way to really compare them and the price, you just have to go find something you like at a price you like. I've been told get the firmest you can but it will take longer for it to wear out.

I hate buying beds because there's not a real way to tell. I wouldn't buy a bed unless you have laid it in. I've sent back two beds because of that. Both were memory foam beds.

I have a Simmons Beautyrest about eights years old now. Not sure of model name though.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:13 PM
Insert Sarcasm Here

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Buy one you can flip over. It'll save years.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:36 PM
Making it Happen

Well the thing is I went in store today and found some near my price target that were comfortable. However now at this point, my main concern is the durability and quality, and I was looking to get a simmons beautyrest, but I'm reading about their lack of quality.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:28 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sam's Club has some foam mattress which are like Serta knockoffs for $550 - $650 range. You may want to checkout those.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:49 PM
The Third Ball

Received 5,056 Likes on 2,688 Posts
Originally Posted by jupitersolo
There's really no why to give advise on this.

The mattress makers are incahoots with the people that sell them. The make the same mattress for all, each seller calls it something different and the makers use different style material and stitch so you can't compare them.

There's no way to really compare them and the price, you just have to go find something you like at a price you like. I've been told get the firmest you can but it will take longer for it to wear out.

I hate buying beds because there's not a real way to tell. I wouldn't buy a bed unless you have laid it in. I've sent back two beds because of that. Both were memory foam beds.

I have a Simmons Beautyrest about eights years old now. Not sure of model name though.
But there is a way to tell!

You just have to pay attention...I did that, and went to back to the Simmons store...made them match the sale price of the bed I wanted at Macys...and take another 10% off.

I got the Beauty Rest I wanted for almost 50% less. All they could so was look at me and say, yep, you got us.

And Beauty Rest is probably one of the best mattresses out there.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:50 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Where do you live?

In addition to what jupiter said, mattresses are made locally/regionally, so you won't find the exact same mattress in different areas. Even between San Diego and LA, the beds can different.

I found a liquidator for mattresses and am tempted to get an Eastern King Heavenly bed (i.e. the Westin signature bed) for < $1k.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:09 AM
Making it Happen

I live in Florida. I'm getting so stressed, all the reviews of these pocket coil mattresses suck saying they last for 2 years before sleep is unbearable due to it caving in and falling apart.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:34 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,206 Posts
If your current mattress lasted an acceptable amount of time and you liked it get another of the same.

That's the best advice I can give. You can't tell shit by laying on them for 5 minutes in a store. Going into a mattress place is a worse experience than going into a car dealer. The last set of mattresses I got were for my kids and I got them at a furniture store. There the sales lady wasn't fully trained in mattress assault. She basically said "there they are, pick one you like." I didn't feel that the prices at the furniture store were any better/worse than a mattress store. It's very hard to compare these things apples to apples because no on in the area has the exact same model of mattress.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:17 AM
Make MyTL Great Again

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't know where these claims of simmons = shit are coming from.

I have of the of the classic models right now which I've been sleeping on for 3-4 years.
I just bought a world class model from 1800mattress called the shawnee fro my new house.
My friend has a beautyrest but I'm not sure which type other then he got it from macys.

I recommend simmons BR.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:33 AM
Make MyTL Great Again

As jupitersolo said mattress buying is a scam. Every store sells the same shit with different names and they will change up the material/design and the padding. There is a huge markup on mattresses. A big chain around the NY area is Sleepys. When you walk into their stores all their stuff is on 'sale' for 50% off. Still bullshit though as I'm sure it really probably costs half of that.

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
I got the Beauty Rest I wanted for almost 50% less. All they could so was look at me and say, yep, you got us.
They still made plenty on the sale I'm sure otherwise they wouldn't have sold it. Sure you did get a better price then most fools.

These are all the same queen mattress:
http://www1.macys.com/catalog/produc...931&AdID=44008 (Queen goes on sale for 1900)
http://www.us-mattress.com/simmons-b...lush-firm.html (was on sale for 999)
http://www.mattress.com/ProductDetai...ID=23352&SID=3

I was considering ordering from us-mattress.com since it was the cheapest, free shipping, no tax, free frame. But when I went to a local 1800mattress store they matched it up to the other two and matched the price. I did have to pay for a frame and tax though, but it was a local store and for something like a mattress purchase, I thought that was a good thing.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:19 AM
Making it Happen

I'm going to go look at the Sears-O-Pedic models today
Old 07-10-2008, 01:16 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by AdamNJ
A big chain around the NY area is Sleepys. When you walk into their stores all their stuff is on 'sale' for 50% off. Still bullshit though as I'm sure it really probably costs half of that.

They have just opened some up in the DC area, like we needed another chain of mattress stores here. Them, Mattress Warehouse and Mattress Discounters.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:19 PM
Team Owner

We shopped for one for a couple of weeks. Its next to impossible to find comparisons on-line because, as stated earlier, each store has differenct stitching and different names for the same mattress. Eventually we found that Sears was having a 50% off sale, plus an extra 10% that week, plus free (rebated) delivery. Went with Serta Perfect Sleeper (I think thats the right name). We spent a lot of time just laying down on the mattress in the store, on our backs, on our sides, etc. and bought the one that felt the most comfortable.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:16 PM
Making it Happen

Yeah its all too confusing for me...I just want very little motion transfer because when I had a girlfriend I never got one good night of sleep on my other mattress.

I guess I'll go with one of the lower end Simmons Beauty Rest that has hardly any motion transfer for around $800 or so for a queen mattress only.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:45 AM
Make MyTL Great Again

Originally Posted by Renegade
I guess I'll go with one of the lower end Simmons Beauty Rest that has hardly any motion transfer for around $800 or so for a queen mattress only.
800 just for the mattress itself in the beautyrest classic line?? Dude you are getting ripped then. Sleepys doesn't list their prices online but I know the "hamlet" which is in the classic line w/ 800 coils was less then 800 w/ box spring.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:49 AM
S E L L

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Just make sure you get a mattress with a high coil count. Your back will thank you later. Pillow top mattresses may seem very nice and comfy but many of them have low coil counts and that makes them vulnerable to dips, uneven support, which leads to many restless nights.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:08 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i hate shopping for a mattress. I always feel like i'm being scammed. I went to a mattress store a few months ago, and all the quick talking mattress dealers kinda scared me.

They showed me their "house brand", and immediately took like 50% off the posted price (from like 780 to 420). That wasn't very comforting to me.

they were one of those wholesale places, and said they provided mattresses for a lot of the hotels around here. And it came w/ a 10 year warranty, but I'm not sure what that covered, might only be if springs actually puncture the surface. Maybe you can ask a hotel or someone that works at a hotel what kinda mattresses they recommend, as they probably want them to last a really long time.

I ended up just getting a cheap used one on craigslist, cause it was for a room I was renting out anyways, and really didn't care.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:18 AM
S E L L

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Osamu
i hate shopping for a mattress. I always feel like i'm being scammed. I went to a mattress store a few months ago, and all the quick talking mattress dealers kinda scared me.

They showed me their "house brand", and immediately took like 50% off the posted price (from like 780 to 420). That wasn't very comforting to me.

they were one of those wholesale places, and said they provided mattresses for a lot of the hotels around here. And it came w/ a 10 year warranty, but I'm not sure what that covered, might only be if springs actually puncture the surface. Maybe you can ask a hotel or someone that works at a hotel what kinda mattresses they recommend, as they probably want them to last a really long time.

I ended up just getting a cheap used one on craigslist, cause it was for a room I was renting out anyways, and really didn't care.
They should have a copy of the warranty policy for all brands of the mattresses they carry. Ask to see a copy of the policy, as this will answer your questions. If they hesitate or flat out deny your request, shop somewhere else.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
www.isoform.com

I got one. It's different, but is comfortable. I have the Opulence. They have a basic under $500.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:50 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
one of the mattress companys here has a 90 money back guarantee which is a little reassuring, i have a really firm matress an really like it, i think its a sealy or simmons.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:24 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Has any bought a latex mattress? I never heard of these until recently, but they are starting to get a bit of a push lately. They're supposed to be more durrable, but also much more $$$.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:05 PM
Making it Happen

Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
www.isoform.com

I got one. It's different, but is comfortable. I have the Opulence. They have a basic under $500.
Any place where I can sit on one these?
Old 07-21-2008, 08:06 PM
Making it Happen

Originally Posted by AdamNJ
800 just for the mattress itself in the beautyrest classic line?? Dude you are getting ripped then. Sleepys doesn't list their prices online but I know the "hamlet" which is in the classic line w/ 800 coils was less then 800 w/ box spring.
you're right, rooms to go has a plush one for $499..but I'm trying to figure out if a pillowtop one they have for $599 is worth it to me, I like plush but want good support too.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:08 PM
Making it Happen

This is the one I saw,

http://www.roomstogo.com/index.cfm?f...&ipac_id=13135
Old 07-21-2008, 10:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Renegade
Any place where I can sit on one these?
Nope. It's online only. However it's basically the same as a temperpedic. Find one of those & test that out. That's what I did. But still needed to get used to the foam bed.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:10 PM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
www.isoform.com

I have one of these, greatest mattress in the world. I cannot say enough good things about it. Its the same thing as a Tempurpedic - same foam densities and stuff, but no overseas shipping or advertising so the price is cheaper.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:38 AM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
When I shopped for a mattress a few years ago, the salesperson suggested that it would take a week or two for your body to become accustomed to a new mattress, especially if you've been using the same one for many, many years. The comfort in purchasing a mattress from that store was that you had a 14 day trial period, and if for whatever reason it just wasn't right, you had one chance for a free return/exchange/delivery for a different one. I actually ended up taking advantage of that, as what I thought felt good to me in the store, didn't feel as nice actually trying to sleep on it for a few nights. I ended up exchanging it for a mattress in the complete opposite direction (way softer, when I thought I wanted harder). That mattress is now used in our guest room, and we have a custom foam mattress for our master (custom only because my husband and I are very different sizes and weights, so we have half/half specifications).
Old 07-22-2008, 02:17 AM
Making it Happen

Arent those isoform beds kind of firm though? thats what epinion reviews say, I'm one whose pretty into a decent plush bed so not sure if its right for me
Old 07-22-2008, 09:39 AM
Senior Moderator

Firm...Well yes & no. At first, but your body heats reacts to the foam & softens it up where your body touches. You actually sink into the bed a little. This is what you would need to get used to. I didn't like it at first but got used to it.
That's the problem with a foam bed. They are not for everyone. Isofoam does give you a trial period, but you have to pay to ship the bed back. It sucks because it comes on a truck so you would have to send it the same way.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
I had the "Serta Perfect Sleeper" with pillowtop. At first I was fine with it, but being that I slept most of my life on more firm matresses, this was definately too soft for me. First thing I did was put a wood board in between the boxspring and mattress to firm things up a little, then I ended up just ditching the boxspring completely and sleeping on a new bed frame that was just a wood bottom. It helped, but to a point. The mattress did start to sink a bit, and i would wake up almost every morning in pain. FYI I sleep on my side and side/stomach. I almost always have my arm under the pillow i'm sleeping on too. I have a pillow to my side that I sort of hug that supports my body/face to hold it in a position that i've grown to be used to. I have a bad back. I have scoliosis, doctors told me that my back x-rays suggest an overly active youth and I abused my back a bit. I have some misaligned vertebrae, and I get sciatica 2x a year that cripples me for a month at a time. The last time it happened to me was in December of 2007. I recently bough a Tempurpedic mattress (classic model) a few months back (May/June), and overall it's pretty good. It did take me some time to get used to it (not to mention the "factory scent" that really smells bad, but went away after a few weeks), but now I sleep well in it and wake up with little or no back pain at all. Based on my schedule of when I get Sciatica, it should have hit me at least once already but so far so good, has not happened to me in the 2008 year at all. it usually happens to me like clockwork every 6 months... Could it be the mattress? Who knows. I sleep well on the mattress the way I lie, I feel little or no pinching on certain parts of my back that I used to feel when I got comfortable on the old mattress. One odd thing is that when lying on my back with my head raised to watch TV, if i stay in this position for a while I get back pain. I don't know what it is about lying on back, but it doesn't work well for me if I do it for too long...Overall the Tempurpedic mattress gets 2 , worth the money...so far.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:09 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
memory form ftw.

Costco is selling queen size for $600. I'm thinking about getting it.