How far can you push a condo management association? [LONG RANT]

Old 08-02-2005, 11:32 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How far can you push a condo management association? [LONG RANT]

I understand that I can technically be evicted if I don't live by their rules and pay their bill on time. That's not the issue here. What I really want to know is what sort of power does the condo association really have over me? As far as I'm concerned if I pay my bill on time and live within the rules, then I have every right to bitch at them for whatever I deem appropriate. Afterall, I pay them to manage my property. Not the other way around.

The thing that fronsts my ass is that every single communication from the association is written like it's from some bitch-ass gheto landlord. I'm not exaggerating when I say every single one of their messages literally looks like this...

"It has NEVER BEEN ALLOWED TO DO BLAH BLAH. If homeowners do blah blah YOU WILL BE FINED! If we can't figure out who did it EVERYONE ON THE STREET MAY BE SUBJECT TO BEING FINED!"

So here's my deal. After the July 4th weekend, my entire village changed it's garbage day from Monday to Tuesday. I don't remember ever receiving notification of this from my association but I might have. I know for a fact that I never received notification from the village itself. Out of the seven years I've lived in my place, I've received maybe four of the quarterly newsletters from the village. I think they're just 'tards and don't realize there are addresses like "17A" and "17B" in the development. Also keep in mind that garbage collection is included in my monthly association fee.

So the first week after the change (July 4th weekend), me and several other people on my street set our garbage out for Monday pickup. They don't come around until Tuesday. I think that they're just a day behind due to the holiday. Next week I again set the garbage out for Monday. There are one or two others that also do this. Again, it comes around on Tuesday. OK, I guess we switched to Tuesday now. Tuesday it is.

Now the next bill arrives. Included with it is another one of their bitch-ass messages threatening to fine people that put the garbage out on the wrong day and that if people do and the garbage ends up spread around, they'll fine the entire street. OK, line crossed.

I call them up and inform them I never received any notice of the change in garbage day. "We sent notification letters to everyone." I tell them fine, I may have missed your notification and I'm putting my garbage out on the right day now. I then proceed to tell them about how I hardley ever get any of the mailings from the village and that if they (the association) are relying on the village to communicate matters, then maybe they should contact the village and remind them of all the addresses within the development. "Well like I said, we sent notification letters about the garbage day to everyone." Yes, I understand that but I'm trying to do you a favor here by letting you know that the village itself is not communicating to its residents within the development. Perhaps you, as managers of the property should contact them to make sure they are aware of all the addresses. "OK, we'll take that information into consideration and pass it on." End of story right? Wrong.

Today I come home from work and every single unit on my court has had their trash picked up EXCEPT ME! My garbage is still sitting there!

At this point, I'm fucking livid! Of course it's 7pm so there's no way to get a hold of anybody at the association. So I left them voicemail and e-mail messages stating I wanted three things:

1) They contact the trash collection company and have them come pick up my garbage.

2) They call or e-mail me back to confirm this will be done.

3) I can not reasonably be expected to keep smelly garbage that's been sitting out in 90+ degree weather in my garage or house due to a mistake by the trash collection company. Therefore, the association should provide me written confirmation that I will not be warned or fined for leaving my garbage on the curb until the trash collection company picks it up.

So what do you think? Am I justified? If they wouldn't continually portray themselves as landlord Nazi's then I probably would have much less of an issue with this. But I figure "You wanna come across as punk bitches, eh? Now it's my turn motherfuckers!"
Old 08-03-2005, 02:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Read the CC&Rs. You agreed to abide by it when you bought a condo. So if you don't follow it, they can sue you and fine you according to the rules laid out by the CC&Rs.

But remember that the HOA management company works for the HOA which works for you. You are like the stock holders of the company. If the management company sucks, let the HOA know and they can fire them or repremand them. I'd get to know the HOA board well and use them. Or if you feel like, join the board so you can have more say.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:54 AM
Safety Car

Bored much? You are fighting with your HOA over garbage, that's funny.

Maybe now they have a personal vandetta against you.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:25 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,196 Posts
HOAs, suck, plain and simple.

They operate the way they do, because the community allows it.

I'm sure your HOA has a monthly meeting, do you go? I sure as hell don't go. No one else goes either. So you get 3-4 people sitting in a room (board members), trying to figure out how to spend the money in the HOA. So how do they spend it? The streets the board members live on get all the money. Any little problem on their street is instantly fixed. Everyone else can go f themselves because they don't really care.

If you want to fix the HOA you have to run for a and win a board seat. In reality it's really not difficult to win. Just send out a flyer to everyone saying why you are running and what you are going to fix. 10 people out of the 1000 that live there will hopefully vote for you and you will win.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:39 AM
if you only knew...

Definitely get involved. It's your money that they're spending, you have a right to express your opinion and be heard. Run for a seat on the board, this will enable you to be more involved. If you are not getting any satisfaction, or you are being harassed (this happened to me) then get a lawyer. Trust me, when you walk in to some bs board meeting/committee meeting with an attorney, they about crap their pants (they also now know that you mean business). Bottom line, don't let a bunch of assholes ruin your living experience, beat them at their own game! Good luck!
Old 08-03-2005, 09:48 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I fear this, as I am moving into an association run place.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:50 AM
Big Block go VROOOM!

I must have struck a cord. Amazingly, they took care of the problem quickly and without any further issues. I'm pretty sure the woman that called me back to confirm this, was even the same person I originally "complained" to. People are wierd.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:16 PM
Systems Overlord

YOu pay your monthly common charges so that you receive services that are outlined in the by-laws of your community. Failure for the HOA and the management company to abide by this agreement is breach of contract. I went through this where I live. After having my attourney contact them I no longer bet any BS from them when I call the office.

Definately go to the monthly meetings and be heard. If you find that the streets/areas where the Board of Managers live are taken better care of than yours this is deemed favoritism. This is not allowed.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:46 PM
eve
Burning Brakes

Your association people sound just like my association people.

I bought my unit 2 months ago (I have not moved yet). Since day one, one of my front door key cards was not working and the other one broke few days later. I called them to ask if they can send me replacement cards because I cannot enter the building and calling neighbors every time I need to get in is PITA (especially since they don't know me yet).

In the mean time, I found out that, every time it rains hard, my sliding door is leaking - another excuse to call.

One week passed - no call, I called again and left another message (it seems like they're never there). Another week goes by - no call; so I kept calling every day. It got to the point where I threatened to get an attorney involved (I work for a law firm and it wouldn't be a problem since we deal with issues like this). FINALLY, 3 weeks after my initial call, someone decides to call me back. At this point I'm frustrated, trying not to raise my voice.

I found out that before I can get a replacement key, I need to send them a check (I sent it the same day). It's been over 10 days now and I still don't have my keys. Additionally, sliding doors are my responsibility. I thought that issues such as faulty doors, windows, leaks etc. should be addressed by them but I guess I was wrong... Fine, I'll fix them but send me my fricking keys so I could get inside the building!

I'm about to call again. They're lucky they close at 5 and I don't feel like taking a vacation day to deal with crap like this.

Where do you live Billiam?
Old 08-03-2005, 01:26 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

I'm in the NW suburbs of Chicago. Between Schaumburg and Elgin.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by eve
Your association people sound just like my association people.

I bought my unit 2 months ago (I have not moved yet). Since day one, one of my front door key cards was not working and the other one broke few days later. I called them to ask if they can send me replacement cards because I cannot enter the building and calling neighbors every time I need to get in is PITA (especially since they don't know me yet).

In the mean time, I found out that, every time it rains hard, my sliding door is leaking - another excuse to call.

One week passed - no call, I called again and left another message (it seems like they're never there). Another week goes by - no call; so I kept calling every day. It got to the point where I threatened to get an attorney involved (I work for a law firm and it wouldn't be a problem since we deal with issues like this). FINALLY, 3 weeks after my initial call, someone decides to call me back. At this point I'm frustrated, trying not to raise my voice.

I found out that before I can get a replacement key, I need to send them a check (I sent it the same day). It's been over 10 days now and I still don't have my keys. Additionally, sliding doors are my responsibility. I thought that issues such as faulty doors, windows, leaks etc. should be addressed by them but I guess I was wrong... Fine, I'll fix them but send me my fricking keys so I could get inside the building!

I'm about to call again. They're lucky they close at 5 and I don't feel like taking a vacation day to deal with crap like this.

Where do you live Billiam?
That's not a bad HOA, but a bad HOA management company. Just tell the HOA and have them get a new contract with a new company.