Home alarm systems?

Old 06-30-2014, 02:47 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
ADT does have cellular back up - for a fee of course.
Old 06-30-2014, 02:55 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
^^^ hahah

yeah with the Front Point, its all inclusive...I pay about 42 bucks a month which is not bad at all when compared to others...

since its all cellular connection, if later I want to put 5 more sensors in, no issues, all I got to do is get the sensor, put it myself and calibrate the main unit to add new sensors...no need for a tech or for running any wire
Old 06-30-2014, 03:06 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Things may have changed with ADT. When we had the system installed quite a long time ago, it was an extra fee option. We've since moved and I am out of the loop on their current offerings..........
Old 06-30-2014, 03:06 PM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
So I bought the SimpliSafe alarm system and have had it for 3 months.

Man setup was a breeze. It's literally sticking double sided tape to your wall, setup the base station using your computer, and alarm set.

The mobile app is also very useful. I can't live without mobile app feature now.

And all for $25/month ($15/month without mobile app control).
The following users liked this post:
Doom878 (01-20-2016)
Old 07-07-2014, 09:14 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,656 Likes on 2,490 Posts
Found a small local company to go with that has great reviews. Monitoring only cost $20 a month. I had to have the system switched out to new hardware since the previous stuff was ADT and only work with ADTs system. My parents use the same company and have been happy with them so it is definitely better than the $35 a month ADT wanted to charge me.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Alarm companies have to have a backup. If we know about the limitation they do too.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:17 PM

My friend has ADT and I told him that I was paying $25/month. He was able to call up ADT and have them priced match his service down to $25/month because he threatened them he would have to switch to SimpliSafe if ADT can't price match them.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:59 AM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
Originally Posted by mdkxtreme
So I bought the SimpliSafe alarm system and have had it for 3 months.

Man setup was a breeze. It's literally sticking double sided tape to your wall, setup the base station using your computer, and alarm set.

The mobile app is also very useful. I can't live without mobile app feature now.

And all for $25/month ($15/month without mobile app control).
Ah, so that's what they mean by "starting at $14.99/month". Their website doesn't really go into any details on the monitoring fees that I could find.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:03 AM
Registered TL Lover

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
my ADT monitoring is in a way free because our insurance is USAA what I save on insurance goes to ADT for the monitoring
Old 09-02-2014, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
Ah, so that's what they mean by "starting at $14.99/month". Their website doesn't really go into any details on the monitoring fees that I could find.
It looks like they revamped their website since the last time I checked it.

But if you scroll down just a little and click on "view monitoring plans", they go into details with it: http://simplisafe.com/wireless-home-...ature-overview.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
It looks like they revamped their website since the last time I checked it.

But if you scroll down just a little and click on "view monitoring plans", they go into details with it: Wireless Security System | Home, Apartment, and Business.
Just wanted to check back in to see if you're still liking your system?

We are about ready to pull the trigger on a SimpliSafe system with a bunch of motion detectors (with all the doors/windows we have, it makes sense to do more motion sensors and less window sensors) to get the best coverage. We'll probably also do two alarm sensors... one inside and one outside so it will annoy everyone if it goes off

Likely will go un-monitored for now since I work from home... but will add monitoring if that ever changes or if travel ramps up.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by juniorbean
Just wanted to check back in to see if you're still liking your system?

We are about ready to pull the trigger on a SimpliSafe system with a bunch of motion detectors (with all the doors/windows we have, it makes sense to do more motion sensors and less window sensors) to get the best coverage. We'll probably also do two alarm sensors... one inside and one outside so it will annoy everyone if it goes off

Likely will go un-monitored for now since I work from home... but will add monitoring if that ever changes or if travel ramps up.
I purchased this back in February and the only complaint I have so far would just be the mobile app being a little finicky sometimes. I sometimes have to force close the app and open it back up.

Other than that I have no complaint. Alarm still works as it should and I just love the fact that it's all wireless. I had to move my control panel closer to the garage door so it was as easy as unpeel the 3M tape, put on another tape, and relocate. I also moved a few motion detectors because my wife put up some decorations and was obstructing the motion detectors.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:09 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,863 Likes on 2,030 Posts
Are these wireless systems susceptible to jamming?
Old 10-09-2014, 01:18 PM

I researched into that as well when I was looking at buying the SimpliSafe alarm. Of course there's really no information on what counter measure SimpliSafe uses nor if ADT has one of their own to prevent jamming.

I can't find what wireless protocol SimpliSafe uses to communicate with component devices (motion sensors, door sensors, siren, etc). I know it's not bluetooth for sure. But their protocol from the base station to the monitoring center is cellular provided by either Verizon or T-Mobile.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:11 PM
Chapter Leader (Houston)

Received 1,085 Likes on 810 Posts
I went with Lifeshield a few months ago. Service is good so far. I was able to get sensors for all my door and windows along with 1 motion sensor, a key chain and a tablet for $20 shipped to my door and I installed the system myself. $29.99 Per month plus taxes.
They have an app for my phone that is easy to use. I get a text message when any sort of activity occurs. I.e. arm, disarm, outage, break in, etc
Old 10-14-2014, 06:27 PM
Senior Moderator

I purchased this back in February and the only complaint I have so far would just be the mobile app being a little finicky sometimes. I sometimes have to force close the app and open it back up.

Other than that I have no complaint. Alarm still works as it should and I just love the fact that it's all wireless. I had to move my control panel closer to the garage door so it was as easy as unpeel the 3M tape, put on another tape, and relocate. I also moved a few motion detectors because my wife put up some decorations and was obstructing the motion detectors.
Cool beans... thanks for the reply.

Not worried too much about the mobile app b/c even when I go monitored I'll likely just do the basic plan (like $18/mo or whatever it is). I don't need the mobile app.

Glad to hear it's working well
Old 10-15-2014, 08:54 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,045 Likes on 1,134 Posts
Can anyone comment on how their pets react if the siren goes off?
Old 11-07-2014, 02:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Well, just ordered the Simplisafe system. Went for the monitoring as well. Also picked up a couple of wireless cameras for inside the house to go along with the outside cameras and garage cameras... so we should be good to go
Costco (11-07-2014)
Old 11-09-2014, 07:05 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,157 Likes on 682 Posts
Originally Posted by doopstr
Can anyone comment on how their pets react if the siren goes off?
We had two labs growing up and after someone kicked in our door while we were all asleep, my parents got ADT installed in the next day or two. It went off once or twice growing up and both times, I remember the dogs slammed into the corner on their beds, wincing at the high pitched noise.

Of course, the pets hate the noise but hopefully, you won't hear it much. Also, they would have never experienced the noise if they barked when the presumably drunk guy (backed down our long curvy driveway and hit two tress on the way out) kicked the door in. Luckily, it took him/them numerous kicks and my dad turned on every light and came down to greet them.

Oh - as for ADT, yes it is expensive but they were always extremely quick and friendly. After we got our ADT installed, my grandmother got one as well. Being older, she knew how it worked but there were times she set it off. The last time, she forgot something after her friend and her left so they returned home to get it. My poor grandmother thought she could run in real quick but of course it went off and next thing you know, cops are there and her 75 year old friend is backed in the driveway telling the police she doesn't live there but her friend went in the house to 'grab a few things.' Cops were very cool though

Last edited by 1StGenCL; 11-09-2014 at 07:09 AM.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Just a quick update regarding the Simplisafe system. So far it's been awesome. Simple to install, customer service was excellent (I thought the unit came with a yard sign but mine did not... they send me one and some extra decals free in about 2 days), and the monitoring has been great.

So far very happy with them. Just wanted to post that in case anyone else was considering them.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:59 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
I wanted to add some input on ADT. I had friends telling me that their bill was around 35 a month, mine was 45. So I called them up and told them I would go to Xfinity, or another company. They were able to get my bill to 34.99 or give me ADT pulse, for 42.99.

I decided to go with Pulse and I'm glad I did. I can control a light and my alarm from my phone, I can also see what's going on inside the house with the camera they provided me for free. I also have the cellguard (so I was able to ditch my landline). Normally pulse is 59 dollars a month or something like that, so I feel I received a good deal. No issues with ADT in the past 3 years.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Flipster23
I wanted to add some input on ADT. I had friends telling me that their bill was around 35 a month, mine was 45. So I called them up and told them I would go to Xfinity, or another company. They were able to get my bill to 34.99 or give me ADT pulse, for 42.99.

I decided to go with Pulse and I'm glad I did. I can control a light and my alarm from my phone, I can also see what's going on inside the house with the camera they provided me for free. I also have the cellguard (so I was able to ditch my landline). Normally pulse is 59 dollars a month or something like that, so I feel I received a good deal. No issues with ADT in the past 3 years.

How were you able to lower it? Were you still under contract? I'm currently paying close to $60 on ADT Pulse with no camera. I'm still under contract with them and paid for the ADT Equipment, so i currently own them now.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:57 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
Originally Posted by coykiam
How were you able to lower it? Were you still under contract? I'm currently paying close to $60 on ADT Pulse with no camera. I'm still under contract with them and paid for the ADT Equipment, so i currently own them now.

I was never in contract until now. When I signed up back in 2012, I wasn't on a contract. Maybe that's how I was able to get a good deal with them now. I just told them that I was looking at other companies and Xfininty was going to charge me xx amount of dollars can you beat it.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
I guess I'll wait til I'm out of contract, hoping I'll be able to save some $$$
Old 04-23-2015, 03:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Wanted to post another update since I was in this section replying to Tyler's thread.

Still going strong with the SimpliSafe system. We also recently bought a multi-camera Arlo system to compliment the SS system. I can't say enough good things about the Arlo. So easy to setup and I didn't mount them... so I can move them wherever needed. The combination of the two has been awesome. The cool thing abotu the Arlo system is that it records to the cloud... so even if someone breaks in and steals the camera, they cannot get to the footage, so the recording is still there and can be sent to police. So the Arlo system with SimpliSafe and hardwire cameras we already had has made for a a great setup so far
mdkxtreme (04-23-2015)
Old 04-23-2015, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by juniorbean
Wanted to post another update since I was in this section replying to Tyler's thread.

Still going strong with the SimpliSafe system. We also recently bought a multi-camera Arlo system to compliment the SS system. I can't say enough good things about the Arlo. So easy to setup and I didn't mount them... so I can move them wherever needed. The combination of the two has been awesome. The cool thing abotu the Arlo system is that it records to the cloud... so even if someone breaks in and steals the camera, they cannot get to the footage, so the recording is still there and can be sent to police. So the Arlo system with SimpliSafe and hardwire cameras we already had has made for a a great setup so far
Wow the Arlo system looks like the "SimpliSafe" of security cameras. I've been looking at camera systems from Costco/Sams Club and I've been really reluctant with with for some reason.

Are you using Arlo mainly as a hybrid of both indoor and outdoor security? I'm planning on a pure outdoor camera setup so I want to know how you're mounting them outdoors and how are you running power to them?
Old 04-24-2015, 12:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Wow the Arlo system looks like the "SimpliSafe" of security cameras. I've been looking at camera systems from Costco/Sams Club and I've been really reluctant with with for some reason.

Are you using Arlo mainly as a hybrid of both indoor and outdoor security? I'm planning on a pure outdoor camera setup so I want to know how you're mounting them outdoors and how are you running power to them?
Yeah, it's a great system. Right now we're using them indoors b/c we have some hardwired cameras outside and in the garage. But I don't have them mounted so I can just move them wherever I want whenever I want.

The whole Arlo system is wireless, so it's easy to move them around. They're powered by those small batteries (they're a bit smaller then AAA batteries, but fatter) so you can litereally mount them anywhere and move them at any time. When we go out we set them to motion so they only record when they see motion. When we're home we have them on manual so I can control it. Doing it that way the batteries should last about a year...
Old 04-24-2015, 12:30 PM

I'm making the purchase some time next week on the Arlo system. I have no problem changing batteries every quarter or so. I was not comfortable running hard power lines in other camera system so this solution is excellent for me.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:36 PM
Team Owner

That Arlo system looks cool. I wonder how the cameras handle the winter. Usually batteries hate cold.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:30 PM
Team Owner

The cameras come with magnetic mounts? I don't think I like that for outdoor mounting. They have a screw in mount but Amazon says ships in 1-3 months.

Other than that it looks cool.
Old 04-24-2015, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by doopstr
The cameras come with magnetic mounts? I don't think I like that for outdoor mounting. They have a screw in mount but Amazon says ships in 1-3 months.

Other than that it looks cool.
I was thinking about the outdoor magnetic mounts too. Any Joe can come by and just yank it off if it's within reach, haha. But yes I also saw the ones with the screws and I'm gonna try and get that. Plus I'll have to mount the cameras high with a ladder to prevent any tampering.

Last edited by mdkxtreme; 04-24-2015 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:38 PM
Team Owner

Check out this thread about mounts...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Buy...m-p/2029#U2029
Old 04-27-2015, 08:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Well honestly we have both hardwired and wireless cameras at our house. The other cameras mount the "traditional" way and yes, these are magnetic. We're currently using these inside the house and I just place them strategically around the inside on shelves, etc so I have not used the mounts.

That said, any camera can be ripped down. I actually kind of like the magnetic mounts b/c there wouldn't be any damage to the structure if a thief decided to take them. The mounted cameras have 2 screws and if a thief wanted to, they could climb a latter, cut the wires, and rip it out of the wall. So the magnetic mount wasn't a real deterrence for me...
Old 04-28-2015, 03:42 PM
Sweet!

Received 78 Likes on 67 Posts
I've been contemplating getting alarm service for my home. We already have a wired system (DSC) that seems like it's relatively new. Motions in all but one room, all doors have contact sensors. The windows appear to have been pre-wired, but no sensors are installed (the wire is just sitting in the window tracks). So, I think we're good on the hardware standpoint, at least if we want to continue with a wired system.

I'm just not sure who to contact for service. I like the idea of getting text alerts when there is activity, and being phoned about activity when they system is armed before the police are contacted. I also want the system to use cellular service and not a land line. There are providers mentioned here I'll definitely have to research.

The only thing I don't understand is how the 10-20% homeowners insurance savings makes an alarm more appealing. My homeowners insurance is less than $1000 a year...I think it's $800 and change (I need to go look). So, with a 20% discount, that's $200/yr (assuming $1k for homeowners insurance). So, I suppose if I find a monitoring company that's $16 or less, then it's a wash (which may be possible). . I emailed our insurance agent to see what sort of discounts we could get with a monitored alarm system...
Old 04-29-2015, 08:27 AM
Senior Moderator

^ Yeah, we don't have the text plan, just the basic plan with SimpliSafe that's like $15/mo. The cameras send an email when they detect motion... so when they're set off I get an email from the camera and a call from the security company that cops are on teh way. Pretty good notifications...
Old 04-29-2015, 08:33 AM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
FYI, if you want to add your own IP cameras, BlueIris is the go to software. It has motion detect and text notification and a lot of other high end features.

For mobile monitoring, I use IP Cam Viewer Pro.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
I think y'all need to move to a better neighborhood
Old 04-29-2015, 11:29 AM
Sweet!

Received 78 Likes on 67 Posts
Regardless of your neighborhood, it doesn't hurt to be prepared .

I just heard back from my homeowners insurance agent, and a monitored alarm system will save me a whopping $41 /yr. Anybody offering service for $4 /mo? With that, I'm going to table this for now...
Old 04-29-2015, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by thunder04
Regardless of your neighborhood, it doesn't hurt to be prepared .

I just heard back from my homeowners insurance agent, and a monitored alarm system will save me a whopping $41 /yr. Anybody offering service for $4 /mo? With that, I'm going to table this for now...
You can't afford $11/month?

($15/month for SimpliSafe minus $4)
Old 04-30-2015, 09:21 AM
Senior Moderator

You can't afford $11/month?

($15/month for SimpliSafe minus $4)

$11/mo is nothing for piece of mind and protection.

Quick Reply: Home alarm systems?