Home alarm systems?

Old 07-26-2011, 01:30 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Home alarm systems?

Anyone set up with ADT or another company? Apparently they have a promotion for neighborhoods with recent break-ins, they're offering all the hardware for free, with us only required to pay for the monthly service, which would be discussed with the homeowner once they were available (one of my family members). I did a bit of research and found a few complaints.

Apparently they lock you down through a signed contract and people have had tons of issues related to that very contract. page here: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/adt.htm

If you do have a home monitoring system though, did it actually lower your home owner's insurance?

We are even considering just installing a surveillance system since it will only include upfront costs. Obviously it won't have 24/7 monitoring.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:17 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
We did an ADT system nearly three years ago, with a company that my wife found through advertisement. I would not go that route again, for a number of reasons. ADT, as a company has been fine, in fact the police did show up once when my sister came in to drop some stuff off, but didn't know the access code. Cops showed up, gave her a bunch of shit (I still laugh about it to this day)... So the service does work, but has drawbacks.

1) Contract. We had to sign a three year deal. Not a huge issue as it's up this Feb, but be prepared to sign a long term deal.

2) Expensive for what you get. If you want a couple of keypads, door sensors and a few motion sensors, it gets what I consider expensive. I want to say we paid over $600 just for the equipment and the keypads aren't all that great.

3) Monthly fees are expensive. We pay $36 a month to ADT, for basic monitoring.

The better route to go, and what we'll be doing in our new home, is go through an independent installer, like a whole home audio company. You are going to pay more for the equipment, but...

1) Likely no contract terms or fees. Hence why the equipment may be more.

2) Better equipment. You'll get better sensors, more choices.

3) Better technology. Z-wave and zigbee systems to allow you to remotely access them through your smartphone. Those are options through ADT/Brinks, but you'll pay $$$. And those wireless technologies can bring you into lighting controls, thermostat controls, etc... All just works.

4) Better workmanship. Not to say the guy who did our home sucked, but you'll likely get a better job.

5) Choice of monitoring company. This is a big one. You are not locked into ADT and some of the other "big box" monitoring companies. You get to choose and they're just as good.

Good luck. It did bring down our homeowners... I want to say 10-15%...
Old 07-26-2011, 06:06 PM
I am Ahab!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't forget to get fire monitoring.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:02 PM
I miss my 03 CL-S :(

Received 445 Likes on 214 Posts
I have a system that was installed by the previous owners through a local alarm company. Honeywell panel and sensors. Monitoring set up through the local company with AlarmNet.

I've had the cops come a few times. First time I was making out with a girl and apparently with all the touching the "panic" button on the fob in my pocket got pressed. It's a silent alarm so I didn't figure out what happened until I was explaining to the cop that I actually lived there. From then on, the alarm fob is never in a pocket that has anything else in it!
Old 07-26-2011, 11:58 PM
Safety Car

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
I was about to start a new thread on same topic. I am looking for home alarms too right now because of recent break ins in our community and also because we'll be out of town for sometime in next few months.

I received an ad in the mail today for ADT. Same thing like Scrib mentioned 3 year contract, and bunch of other BS. But they include all the equipment. I am going through all this for the first time. So any recommendations? Any company in particular?
Old 09-07-2012, 09:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
sorry to reply in an old thread buttttttt......it relates to it.

What other Home Security companies out there besides ADT and Slomins? And are there any current cheaper monthly basic subscription fees besides the usual $36/mo?

Closing a deal on a house soon and would like to shop earlier for a Home Security.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:40 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,413 Likes on 3,023 Posts
I believe that Guardian is still around as well, also check with your home owners insurance company, a lot of them have deals with home security companies
Old 09-10-2012, 12:38 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts

Sorry just had to!
Old 09-11-2012, 08:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
I believe that Guardian is still around as well, also check with your home owners insurance company, a lot of them have deals with home security companies
Thanks, will check with the insurance.

Originally Posted by jupitersolo

Sorry just had to!

hahahah lol...i wanted German Shepherds and Rotties in addition to my fiancees Shepherd/Collie Mutt but this pooch just wants to be alone. He gets along fine with some dogs but most of the time just wants to be alone...such a possessive dog.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:14 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Just bought one of these

Thinking about buying one of these...
Old 09-28-2012, 10:50 AM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by jupitersolo

Sorry just had to!
Old 09-28-2012, 01:02 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,049 Likes on 1,135 Posts
I think my next dog may be German Shepard. Hard to convince the wife.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

I tried convincing my wife we need another dog, maybe a doberman or a german shepherd. She said "we already have a dog that likes to be the only pet." Our dog is a mutt (mixed of collie, shepherd) and he's getting old so he hardly barks. He can still run tho.

Out of curiosity, how exactly do these alarm system's motion detector work? They advertise that it's pet friendly and wouldn't detect a pets movement. How exactly does it work? What if the criminal was to crawl, does that mean it wouldn't detect it? Sorry to sound like an idiot but was just curious.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:31 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Most of them mount at a certain height to allow animals to pass under yes, but they also can be calibrated to detect over a certain weight.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:36 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
Since I just put in my security system, will write a word about it....

We went with Front Point Security. Their equipment is a little more expensive than ADT but the good part is:

1> its all wireless...so with ADT the thieves can cut your phone line and enter the house. Not with this as the system runs on CDMA
2> self install....I installed everything myself...was a piece of cake. The system can be expanded anytime. you can also add light control to it.

now the bad:
1> equipment is a little more expensive that adt
2> 3 year contract is what I signed to get a $300 discount on the stuff.

so far, I have gotten awesome service and if I had to do it again, I would pick them
Old 03-19-2013, 07:48 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
So the home we just purchased already has all the equipment installed and I have an appointment with ADT for Thursday but I haven't signed an agreement of any kind so I'm not tied into them yet.

Should I skip the ADT contract and just find someone else? I guess I technically don't need new equipment as the stuff in my house in no more than 5 years old. I've never had a home security system before though and I really don't know a damn thing about them.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:01 PM
Administrator Alumnus

There are much cheaper options than ADT, with just annual commitments for service. Had ADT, now a local service. $10 a month less than ADT.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:06 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
As mentioned, avoid ADT as you could potentially get your phone lines cut. If you're going to get a security system why bother with one that has inherent weaknesses.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:30 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
I'm not advocating for ADT, but wanted to let folks know, the phone lines being cut isn't a deal breaker. ADT has had cellular back up for more than a decade. They also have smoke and carbon monoxide detection, high temp (for your attic) and low temp warnings (furnace failure leading to frozen and burst pipes) along with key fob arming and disarming.
I used to work for Tyco International when they acquired ADT. As a Tyco employee we got a huge discount on equpment installation and monitoring. My wife and I built a new house in 2002 and it's pretty much like Fort Knox. We did this because I travel for work, had young kids at the time and were the first house in a brand new neighborhood. So we didn't have neighbors or street lights and such for a number of months.
In terms of wired vs wireless - we went wired because we had the luxury of being able to have all the walls open prior to drywall. The installer was an old timer and said he didn't necessarily trust them. Now with that being said, I'm sure technology has come a long way in 10+ years, but he pointed out that the batteries in all of the wireless detectors would eventually need to be replaced, which is going to run you a tidy sum if you have lots of motion detectors or door and window contacts like we do.
In terms of monthly or annual monitoring cost - the premise is no different than signing up for cellular service. With most cellular service providers, they lock you into a multi year contract with the phone often times being sold at a reduced cost. They make their money on the monthly fees and not necessarily on the equipment.
One other thing I will throw out as an option is Comcast. We have phone, internet and TV via Comcast and they have been pushing hard for us to add security. I haven't considered it, primarily because my montly ADT monitoring rate is much less expensive than Comcast (because of my employee discount). You have probably seen their TV commercials showing remote ability to turn lights on and off as well as set thermostats and video monitoring etc.......
Other options are simple things like any alarm company stickers on your windows/doors or even having an alarm installed and not signing up for central monitoring. Stickers may serve as enough of a defense to have would be robbers move on to a different residence. And any alarm that goes off is likely going to have them running as well
Just some food for thought and again I'm not advocating for ADT or Comcast.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:37 AM
Team Owner

So in looking around the house it doesn't appear the previous owners had much equipment installed actually. I don't even have a sensor on the front door. Just two key pads and a few motion detectors.

Buying equipment is not going to be cheap. I've got 14 windows on the first floor plus 4 doors leading to outside.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:41 AM
Three Wheelin'

ADT has had cellular backup for years now, so phone lines being cut is not a worry. Only worry you should have is how fast they can contact you and the authorities during unauthorized entry. I went with ADT since they are one of the biggest name just incase someone was to lurk around the premises it shows I have a "known" alarm. However, if I had to redo it again I wouldn't go with ADT. One biggest downside with ADT are their pricing, they are alot more for the same service vs the competition. And btw everytime I've had to call ADT their service reps are slow and unsatisfactory. So once my contract is up I will be switching my services.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:01 AM

I went with front point security as I mentioned above and I have been happy....

I hate signing a contract but I saved over 300 bucks for signing a 3 yr contract....they are wireless, you can move the control panels around if you want to....

I have 2 garage door sensors, a motion sensor (in the garage)....have couple more motion sensors and door and window sensors....I also have a couple glass break sensors...

They have an app which is easy to use....the customer service is pretty awesome....

the minute I trip an alarm, I get an email, a text and a phone call....if I do not answer my phone they send the cops over....so all in all am pretty satisfied...
Old 03-24-2013, 03:55 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Originally Posted by mrsteve
So in looking around the house it doesn't appear the previous owners had much equipment installed actually. I don't even have a sensor on the front door. Just two key pads and a few motion detectors.

Buying equipment is not going to be cheap. I've got 14 windows on the first floor plus 4 doors leading to outside.
Probably why the first owner didn't do everything either. It's the difference between having perimeter security (alarm sounds during entry) or regular security (alarms sounds when entry has alredy been gained).
Old 03-25-2013, 06:14 AM
Team Owner

Turns out the doors have sensors afterfall.

ADT came last week. Totally unprepared. The guy didn't have nearly enough equipment to do the install I wanted. I told him to leave.

So, back to researching.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:31 AM

^^^ I again urge you to look into front point security....I am in love with their system....

all magnetic door and window sensors, you can install everything as you like and where you like....once you finish the install, call them and they will activate everything....no need for a guy coming through, no need for an outside coming into your home
Old 03-25-2013, 12:28 PM
Team Owner

I'll look into them. Thanks.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:41 PM

^^^ mind you the equipment is $$$ but if you sign up a contract they give u upto $300 off ....the service (with taxes is) 43 a month....

the app is pretty decent and the interface is very simple....the central control unit is pretty simple as well....I have had ZERO issues with my installation....

referrals will get you one month free service ....hit me via PM if you end up going this route....

and your negotiating skills will come in handy....I got $300 off and 3 months of free service when I signed up a contract...if you get more, you are my new hero
Old 03-26-2013, 11:47 AM
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by swoosh
^^^ mind you the equipment is $$$ but if you sign up a contract they give u upto $300 off ....the service (with taxes is) 43 a month....

the app is pretty decent and the interface is very simple....the central control unit is pretty simple as well....I have had ZERO issues with my installation....

referrals will get you one month free service ....hit me via PM if you end up going this route....

and your negotiating skills will come in handy....I got $300 off and 3 months of free service when I signed up a contract...if you get more, you are my new hero
Sounds interesting, did you get the middle tier service? It states 42.99, I assume that includes the taxes. Is the price for hardware on the site the price without a multiyear contract? So you paid that price and then got the discount? If so, sounds like a good deal. I may have breezed over it, but how many sensors did you purchase? thanks.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:57 PM

^^^ yes...I did not go with video monitoring....i dont want them taking a peek when I am taking a shower LOL....

but I went with the Interactive, so they basically monitor and report everything and just not video monitoring...I will be installing a video monitoring myself here in a couple weeks as the weather warms up....

yes $42.99 includes taxes and you get a discount AFTER the prices which are mentioned on the site when you sign up for a contract....

I ended up getting the common garage door sensors, door and window sensors, glass break sensors, motion sensors....and installed them myself...

The unit did come with an additional CO2 and Smoke and HEAT detector....I kept that out of the damn kitchen so nothing would stop the wifey from cooking
Old 04-02-2013, 02:36 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

I went without the video as well, though I thought about adding just outside cameras. Definitely don't want any cameras on the inside of my house
Old 04-02-2013, 06:55 PM

am thinking of adding a 3-4 camera DVR system on the outside of my house....been in the house only 4 months and already had 2 incidents with people driving on my yard....FUUUU
Old 04-05-2013, 06:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts
I went with front point security as I mentioned above and I have been happy....

I hate signing a contract but I saved over 300 bucks for signing a 3 yr contract....they are wireless, you can move the control panels around if you want to....

I have 2 garage door sensors, a motion sensor (in the garage)....have couple more motion sensors and door and window sensors....I also have a couple glass break sensors...

They have an app which is easy to use....the customer service is pretty awesome....

the minute I trip an alarm, I get an email, a text and a phone call....if I do not answer my phone they send the cops over....so all in all am pretty satisfied...
+1

I use Front Point too. From equipment to customer service to the performance of the system is all top notch from my own experience.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:36 AM
Administrator Alumnus

All integrated with my Control4 gear. Pretty neat.
Attached Images
File Type: png
photo.png (307.0 KB, 26 views)
photo1.png (253.8 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by Scrib; 04-08-2013 at 08:44 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:54 AM

^^^ That is a SICK HOUSE !!!

wanna trade
Old 04-11-2013, 08:41 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

been in the house only 4 months and already had 2 incidents with people driving on my yard....FUUUU
Old 04-11-2013, 10:21 AM

Scrib, what camera system is that?
Old 04-11-2013, 11:39 AM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
anyone read into scout?

http://www.scoutalarm.com/

Flat upfront fee, $10/month for cellular monitoring. I've been looking into it, but waiting until the first reviews are in place before placing my order
Old 04-11-2013, 12:21 PM

^^^ seems like a decent system....I added all the components that I got and it worked out at the same dollar amount after the discount/contract which I signed with Front Point....the $10 plan seems decent but I cannot see more plans...I bet the $10 is the lowest and a comparable plan will be around $30-ish....

the only CON i find is that it goes off your home WIFI...even though secure, am not sure how secure it will be....i would like something going off CDMA so there are no cables involved...

either way, it seems like a promising system....
Old 04-11-2013, 01:40 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
^^^ I hear ya, that's why I didn't pre-order and am waiting for more specific details. I also don't see a 'sound alarm' in any of the details, and would definitely want a loud horn blaring if someone breaks in
Old 04-11-2013, 06:50 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Scrib, what camera system is that?
It's a wirepath DVR that is Control4 certified. Cameras are from Digimerge.
Attached Images
cameras.png (706.2 KB, 14 views)
c41.png (609.1 KB, 12 views)
c42.png (555.5 KB, 10 views)

Quick Reply: Home alarm systems?