Frost free Refrigerator keeps frosting over

Old 08-16-2010, 07:49 AM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Frost free Refrigerator keeps frosting over

I had this refrigerator for 7 years and earlier this year I discovered that the fridge portion wasn't getting cold. After tinkering with it, I discovered that because the vent that sends in cold air from the freezer was completely filled with ice. I unplugged it and took off the back panel of the freezer and melted all the ice with a blow dryer. This fixed the issue and things in the fridge would get cold again. but after a while it just frosts over again, so I end up blow drying it again until I figure out if I could get it fixed or just buy a new fridge.

I also noticed that at the bottom inside the refrigerator almost always has a puddle of water. The water is coming from the freezer and more than likely this is the same water that is freezing over.

Obviously something is failing, but I'm not sure what component it is or how much it would cost.

Anyone have this issue? About how much should it cost to get it fixed permanently, or is it just better to buy a new fridge?
Old 08-16-2010, 10:02 AM
Sweet!

Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts
Do you like the refrigerator? If not, now's the time to buy one you'll enjoy more.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Have you tried googling your fridge and the exact issue to see if someone else has had the same problem? Might give you an idea of what the problem could be.

Also, did you buy any kind of extended warranty with the fridge?

Replacing or fixing would kind of depend on how much it was originally and what exactly is wrong with it. Unfortunately, repairs can be a couple hundred bucks or more, so if it was a cheaper fridge, it probably isn't worth it to try to fix at 7 years old. A service call would probably be around $100 or something, just to have them come out and take a look, then whatever repair on top of that.

We had a scare a couple weeks ago as well. Water leaking out the bottom of the fridge. It's about 8-10 years old and if one appliance goes, we would like to replace them all with stainless steel, and right now is not exactly a good time for us, so luckily it was a cheap and easy fix that we did ourselves.

I guess what I'm saying is you need to weigh your options, but to do that, you kind of need to know the problem.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:12 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,178 Likes on 1,195 Posts
Make sure the cooling fins either underneath or in back of your fridge are clean. If they are loaded with dust use a vacuum to clean them.

Other than that maybe you have a coolant leak and need a charge.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:45 AM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Well I don't dislike it; I just would like it more if it worked properly though

I don't remember how much I spent on it, but it wasn't that much (well under $1000, maybe even under $500); I got it when I bought the house. Its a basic fridge with top mounted freezer. I think I may had an extended warranty through Best Buy, but its long expired anyway.

I've been looking on google, but no specific information that pertains to my situation.

I finally called a repair guy and he said he would charge $35 to come out and look at it and tell me what's wrong and if I decide to have him fix it, he would charge $95 for labor; the service charge would be applied to that $95 making it $60. I'm guessing parts are extra.

He did tell me that from what I was telling him, it could be one of three parts that were failing. He said its very possible I could just buy the parts and fix it myself if I'm handy enough. I'm going to call him back today with the model number so he can give me a better idea of what is failing.

I really don't want to buy another refrigerator right now because I'm already having the house painted later this week and I have my property tax bill coming due soon as well.

I was hoping I could get it fixed for cheaper than buying a new similarly priced one, but if its more than $200 then I'll continue my method of manually defrosting it until I decide for sure what new brand I would want.

Last edited by WdnUlik2no; 08-16-2010 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:33 PM
Sweet!

Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts
If he's cool with diagnosing the problem and telling you what you need to do to fix it and letting you fix it yourself, I'd take that route.