Freezer Disposal

Old 07-05-2006, 09:38 AM
Creepy guy in the mirror.

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Freezer Disposal

I have a large old freezer that is in a basement that was renovated after the freezer was put there. As a result the freezer wont fit through doorways/up the stairs.

I am thinking I have to cut the freezer up to dispose of it - that is the easy part... But, what about refrigerant oil? I am assuming that I will need to have someone come and reclaim the oil before I start cutting. Or would I be able to cut it up without cutting coolant lines.

Anyone have experience with this? Suggestions?
Old 07-05-2006, 10:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Eeek. Never had to do this thankfully. I know that my town has pickup for items like this once or twice per year. Not sure about the oil issue though. Have you tried to Google it to see what others have run across? That may be your best bet for info. After you find that out you'll need to contact your town to see how they handle the disposal since every town is different...
Old 07-05-2006, 11:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
If you can keep the coolant system intact, then yes you can cut up the body of the unit.

It's not oil, it's freon and it's not something you should be messing with. Is it dangerous, technically no. See if you can find someone to remove the freon from the system before you go hacking it up.

http://www.osti.gov/energycitations/...sti_id=4704654
Old 07-05-2006, 01:16 PM
Creepy guy in the mirror.

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Thanks guys...

I think I will take your suggestion NSXNEXT. I will have a refrigerant guy come by and reclaim the freon. I know there are different forms of the freon, some ok and some really bad. Hopefully it wont cost too much.

As far as disposal, once it is out of the house, I just call city waste management and they come to pick it up for free. The policy helps prevent roadside dumping - they just take a bit of extra tax to fund the collection.