Can I remove this?

Old 07-15-2008, 06:09 PM
Bent = #1

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Can I remove this?

I have a built in wall section that had a spot for the TV on the right and a fireplace on the left. As seen below.

My plan is to remove the fireplace, and just make one nice area for an entertainment center. I've started demolition, and the one thing that worried me was the support for the windows.

Do you think I will be able to remove this center stud, or is there for structural purposes? Is there anyway around it? Thanks for the help.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
NO NO NO NO NO

That is supporting the window. Removing that would result in disaster. It's too big of a span to not have vertical support, especially with that window above it.
Get some pics up underneath so we can see what the framing looks like underneath the window.

My guess is to do it right you'll need to run 2x4 or possibly 2x6 horizontally in the opening connecting them to the side walls to support the weight of that window.

My honest opinion is to hire a carpenter that can better assess the solution.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:45 PM
horny =

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^

just moved in and already destroying it?
Old 07-15-2008, 06:47 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
^^

If you take that support out without replacing it with a hefty beam across the top/under the windows, you will be in trouble. I don't even know if you'd be able to do it with anything less than 4x8.

Get someone in who knows what they are doing to at least look at this if not care of it.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:12 PM
Bent = #1

Yeah I figured I couldn't remove it. Don't worry I'm not that stupid

I'm just going to leave it as is, and have two separate areas. My goal is to be done Sunday, so hopefully I can have some pictures up then
Old 07-16-2008, 08:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if there is a header running from one side of the windows to the other then you dont need that middle support beam. but i doubt they put in a header, so i would say leave the beam.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:31 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
Generally you might want to get a licensed structural engineer in there to look at it.

Generally speaking, you do not want to touch beams and joists that are interior walls that run perpendicular to the rafter beams. They most likely are load-bearing walls.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:01 AM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
The beam seems to be a good place to mount a centered flat panel tv anyway. I would cover up the top portion of both openings with dry wall and leave the two sides beneath the tv for component storage. Maybe add some cabinet doors too.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:55 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
Originally Posted by zeroday
The beam seems to be a good place to mount a centered flat panel tv anyway. I would cover up the top portion of both openings with dry wall and leave the two sides beneath the tv for component storage. Maybe add some cabinet doors too.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:15 AM
Bent = #1

I'll see how that will work out. I have 2 20" TVs that will also go into the entertainment center. I'm leaning toward Option #1 if the TVs fit, but Option 2 might be the way to go.

Option #1

Option #2

Old 07-16-2008, 10:38 AM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
What are the two extra tv's for? You watching your back scarface style or what?
Old 07-16-2008, 10:48 AM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
3 tvs eh, trust me, it's hard to watch them all at once. Looks like you need a steel beam to carry that span, I would go for it because I think the end result will be nicer.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:50 AM

Are both sides the same size? I'd be more likely to have the "BIG TV" in the left opening with the two smaller ones on the left side of the right opening.

Actually, I don't think I would have taken out the fireplace, but that's neither here nor there.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:53 AM
horny =

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Best idea
Old 07-16-2008, 10:53 AM

BTW, are you going to do anything with the hearth?
Old 07-16-2008, 11:19 AM
Bent = #1

What are the two extra tv's for? You watching your back scarface style or what?

Football season is right around the corner. I had them for the tailend of last season and it was awesome to have 3 games on at a time. Or really during any sports season it is really nice to have multiple TVs to watch multiple channels.

Originally Posted by The Dougler
3 tvs eh, trust me, it's hard to watch them all at once.
See above.

Originally Posted by moeronn
Are both sides the same size? I'd be more likely to have the "BIG TV" in the left opening with the two smaller ones on the left side of the right opening.

Actually, I don't think I would have taken out the fireplace, but that's neither here nor there.
They are close enough to the same size +/- 3 inches. Why? Big TV on the right because that will be the closest side to the couch.

Yeah the fiancee wanted the fireplace, but it would hardly be used by me at least. I'd rather just get her a warm blanket and it'll be the same.

BTW, are you going to do anything with the hearth?
Hearth = bottom of fireplace? If so it is just a concrete slab that sits below the whole entertainment center. They built the entertainment center on top of the concrete slab extending it from the house.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by hornyleprechaun
They are close enough to the same size +/- 3 inches. Why? Big TV on the right because that will be the closest side to the couch.
I guess I'm just used to having my main monitor on the left.

Yeah the fiancee wanted the fireplace, but it would hardly be used by me at least. I'd rather just get her a warm blanket and it'll be the same.
If you're planning on being there for a while then you should enjoy what you want. But it would be better for resale down the road.

Hearth = bottom of fireplace? If so it is just a concrete slab that sits below the whole entertainment center. They built the entertainment center on top of the concrete slab extending it from the house.
I was referring to the what looks like black tile or granite(?) just in front of the openning. It doesn't extend that far, so it's not really an issue. If it was a wood burning fireplace with a larger hearth, it would be awkward.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:16 PM
Bent = #1

I guess I'm just used to having my main monitor on the left.

If you're planning on being there for a while then you should enjoy what you want. But it would be better for resale down the road.

I was referring to the what looks like black tile or granite(?) just in front of the openning. It doesn't extend that far, so it's not really an issue. If it was a wood burning fireplace with a larger hearth, it would be awkward.

For resale yes the fireplace would be better, but I plan on being at this house for a while.

That is green granite on the floor. We found some black marble tiles at Home Depot that match our granite countertops in the kitchen, so I'm going to replace that. I don't think it will look awkward as it will match the countertops
Old 07-16-2008, 12:18 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,236 Likes on 825 Posts
Wow...Thats 3 TV's pimp...
Old 07-16-2008, 12:19 PM
Bent = #1

I have a TV in every room Only 1 nice tv, but the rest do their job
Old 07-16-2008, 12:27 PM

For resale yes the fireplace would be better, but I plan on being at this house for a while.

That is green granite on the floor. We found some black marble tiles at Home Depot that match our granite countertops in the kitchen, so I'm going to replace that. I don't think it will look awkward as it will match the countertops
The comment was more about having the hearth for a TV/built-in rather than a fireplace. If you're going to take out the existing, maybe consider putting in wood to match the floors?
Old 07-16-2008, 12:29 PM
Bent = #1

Never really thought of doing that, but I'll consider that
Old 07-16-2008, 07:23 PM
Bent = #1

Little update. Finished gutting the whole thing tonight. To my surprise, and luckily, there seems to be a problem with water slowly dripping through a crack by one of the right windows. There are a couple 2X4s that are rotted, but can easily be replaced by myself, again lucky.

Buying drywall tomorrow, and some new insulation for some areas. So far everything is still on track for a Sunday finish I do plan on removing that vent, just need to get some wood to cover the hole.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:31 PM

Nice that you caught that leak.

You going to install any new receptacles/circuits?

You like how I keep adding more things for you to consider doing? This from someone with quite a few 90% finished projects - mainly due to scope creep and unforseen issues.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:10 PM
I can't find my garage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
windows dont weigh thaat much
Old 07-17-2008, 12:08 AM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
IMO, 3 TVs in that beautiful main room is definitely overkill. Actually, I think 3 TVs right next to each other is overkill anywhere. IMO, that kind of set-up would seem more suitable for a dedicated media/theatre room. I think it would kill the ambiance of a great looking main room where you'd welcome and entertain guests...they'll stand out like a sore thumb. Three TVs would not be the kind of focal point I'd look for when decorating a room that appears to have such great character with those floors and windows....it would just make me feel like I was in Best Buy. Besides, aside from a few sporting events per year, I can't see how 3 TVs side-by-side would even serve a practical purpose. Then again, I'm not glued to TV and can easily go most of the day without watching the one that we do have, so I really can't relate.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:01 AM
Go Giants

^^This is why men don't let women help with the home theater decisions.....Lep, nothing is cooler then multiple TV's in area, you are 3 TVs cool....Don't listen to SS, men would live in Best Buy if they could.....My wife won't even let me hook up my Mac to my TV ....Women
Old 07-17-2008, 06:32 AM
Bent = #1

Nice that you caught that leak.

You going to install any new receptacles/circuits?

You like how I keep adding more things for you to consider doing? This from someone with quite a few 90% finished projects - mainly due to scope creep and unforseen issues.

A lightswitch operated the fireplace. I'm going to use those wires to hook up some small lights, and the switch will operate them

Yeah I'm just hoping I can finish on Sunday.. or it will become a 90% finished job..
Old 07-17-2008, 06:36 AM
Bent = #1

Originally Posted by Street Spirit
IMO, 3 TVs in that beautiful main room is definitely overkill. Actually, I think 3 TVs right next to each other is overkill anywhere. IMO, that kind of set-up would seem more suitable for a dedicated media/theatre room. I think it would kill the ambiance of a great looking main room where you'd welcome and entertain guests...they'll stand out like a sore thumb. Three TVs would not be the kind of focal point I'd look for when decorating a room that appears to have such great character with those floors and windows....it would just make me feel like I was in Best Buy. Besides, aside from a few sporting events per year, I can't see how 3 TVs side-by-side would even serve a practical purpose. Then again, I'm not glued to TV and can easily go most of the day without watching the one that we do have, so I really can't relate.

I understand your point, but football season goes from September until January. Those are the biggest 5 months of the year for myself, and my friends. Those TVs will be in use every weekend.

Also, I am still quite young. I am not quite at the stage of having dinner parties with fancy sit down dinners to entertain my guests. My dinner parties consists of burgers on the grill and a keg on ice
Old 07-17-2008, 06:38 AM
Bent = #1

Originally Posted by Whiskers
^^This is why men don't let women help with the home theater decisions.....Lep, nothing is cooler then multiple TV's in area, you are 3 TVs cool....Don't listen to SS, men would live in Best Buy if they could.....My wife won't even let me hook up my Mac to my TV ....Women

She does make a good point. The problem is the area is already gutted, so I have no choice but to put in all 3 TVs
Old 07-17-2008, 06:43 AM
Go Giants

She does make a good point. The problem is the area is already gutted, so I have no choice but to put in all 3 TVs
How about two TV's and a beer keg....
Old 07-17-2008, 06:53 AM
Bent = #1

How about two TV's and a beer keg....

Kegerator will come, but right now I have more important stuff to work on in the house
Old 07-17-2008, 07:23 AM
Go Giants

Kegerator will come, but right now I have more important stuff to work on in the house
You are growing up so fast...
Old 07-17-2008, 08:28 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
I think SS makes an excellent point.

The right way to do it is to convert the entire basement into a media room / man cave, with a bar that you hang the extra TVs around.

Unless you're in no-basement land; then you're pretty much screwed.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:19 AM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

I can appreciate a great looking TV and kick-ass sound set-up. As I said, although I still don't see the point of three TVs side-by-side, it would be a completely different story if you did it in a dedicated media room as opposed to a gorgeous living room, where, IMO, anything more than one TV will draw your eye away from the other great details and mood of the room. It looks like a great space!

Plus, it looks like the TVs will be pretty low to the ground if they need to fit in the old fireplace enclosure. Won't you have to look down to watch them? Just doesn't seem like the ideal place. Again though, this is coming from someone who obviously doesn't value TVs or TV-watching to the same extent as the OP.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:44 AM
Bent = #1

Originally Posted by svtmike
I think SS makes an excellent point.

The right way to do it is to convert the entire basement into a media room / man cave, with a bar that you hang the extra TVs around.

Unless you're in no-basement land; then you're pretty much screwed.

No basement.. Not that RICH!
Old 07-17-2008, 09:46 AM
Bent = #1

Originally Posted by Street Spirit
Plus, it looks like the TVs will be pretty low to the ground if they need to fit in the old fireplace enclosure. Won't you have to look down to watch them? Just doesn't seem like the ideal place. Again though, this is coming from someone who obviously doesn't value TVs or TV-watching to the same extent as the OP.

They honestly should be at eye level or even a little higher. I'll take pictures when I'm done from the couch to give a perspective. The sun shines through the 4 windows at night, so it is hard to get good pictures.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:50 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
They honestly should be at eye level or even a little higher. I'll take pictures when I'm done from the couch to give a perspective. The sun shines through the 4 windows at night, so it is hard to get good pictures.
Are you north of the Arctic circle?
Old 07-17-2008, 10:03 AM
Bent = #1

Originally Posted by svtmike
Are you north of the Arctic circle?

Just a couple miles.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:52 AM

You know why men like TVs so much - and why they wish women were more like TVs?

5. You buy the size you want - and it stays the same size.

4. Because if you don't like what you see, you can change the channel and find something you do like.

3. It doesn't ask if it looks fat in widescreen

2. They're much easier to turn on.

And the number one reason....

1. Mute button!!

Quick Reply: Can I remove this?