Building a House.... but I'm a noob

Old 02-03-2006 | 10:37 AM
Senior Moderator

A sunroom and a basement are two completely different rooms with two completely different functions. Other then adding more square footage to the house by adding a sunroom, there is no other way to compare a sunroom to a basement.
Old 02-03-2006 | 10:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by juniorbean
Living rooms are a waste of space. Pretty much everyone we know that has one never uses it. Family room, Bonus room, and kitchen is where everyone hangs.

Bay windows are nice for homes built in the 80's and 90's. Nowadays, most builders do either double or triple wide windows which are much more practical since they can actually open, and they let in the same amount or more light then a bay. Some are more decorative then others (such as paladium windows, arched windows, transom windows, and so on), but bays are rare. Of the 30 or so models we looked at, zero had bay windows. Now, if you're talking about a bumpout bay, then that's different, but still not necessary if you have a good amount of windows.

Sunrooms are nice, but not necessary. The dollar per square foot added on those is typically very high, so they look nice, but aren't always cost effective or the best investment. Plus, the heating/cooling (depending on the season) is also a consideration since they are not very effecient rooms. Same would go for bumpout bays (as far as cost effectiveness). Our builder was charging $10k for a bumpout in the master which added about 70 square feet and was pretty much all windows. We decided against it and kept the standard windows in there (which is a wall of almost floor to ceiling windows) and we get more light with those then the people who have the bay... so totally not worth it.

BTW, do you have any pics of your place? Have you ever built a house.. b/c your comments seem fairly ignorant. Just curious since you really haven't contributed anything other then a few critical comments.
I have hosted many parties and we all hang around the kitchen which coincidentally is not big enough. I am looking right now for a house with a big ass kitchen and Hearth (family room) right next to it.
Old 02-03-2006 | 10:42 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

My next house (hopefully) will have a massive kitchen. I dont care if it eats into all the other rooms.
Old 02-03-2006 | 11:19 AM
My Work is Done Here

Originally Posted by juniorbean
Oh and sorry about the hijack canz

:silvermad

I'm starting a new thread anyway once the construction gets underway. so flame away

As for the bonus room/living room/sunroom/basement....

Basements are a very expensive upgrade with the builders here, which is why I didn't even consider it for more than two seconds. Many builders don't even mention it unless you bring it up. Most of them opt for that bonus room over the garage instead, or with the size of houses that we were looking at, the plans often had the bonus room as the only room on the second floor with a half bath or something similar. We would use it for something like juniorbean, I've got a set of drums that would go in there, along with the dartboard/arcade basketball/etc. That's essentially what we're using the larger 2nd bedroom for on the floor plan that I posted on page 3.

As for living rooms, I have an uncle on each side of the family that has a living room in addition to the family room. We never go in there in either of their houses, it ends up being a room that looks nice from outside or when you first walk in. I remember using it once during thanksgiving a couple years ago, but that was almost like a large family reunion. So for me, this being my first house, I didn't want to spend any money on something we weren't going to use or get a good return on later. The only house we really considered that had the formal living room didn't have a seperate study, so that's what I was going to use the living room for.

Oh and sunrooms can be nice, but for what you use a sunroom for, I'd rather be outside. That's why we extended the front porch across the front of the dining window, and extended the back porch out a little bit. And there aren't too many really cold months here where it makes sense to stay inside to get sun.

And if it makes you feel any better Yam, the dining room window on the front of the house is practically a bay window. sortof.

just my carry on...
Old 02-03-2006 | 01:45 PM
Advanced

I agree with you on the living room, it is a room just for decorating. But down the road, you may thinking about selling the house and people will wonder why there is no living room.

I also agree with FDL and Mamboking, a massive kitchen is a must; since, people hang around the kitchen most of the time. One way to extend the kitchen is to add a sunroom next to it. It will make everything look better and bigger. It will also serve as an extra dining room.
Old 02-03-2006 | 02:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Purple Yam
One way to extend the kitchen is to add a sunroom next to it. It will make everything look better and bigger. It will also serve as an extra dining room.
That right there is a very true statement. What's funny is that a few of our neighbors that did a sunroom don't even use them for that anymore. The plan was to extend the kitchen.. but it's turned into a kids playroom . Glad I don't have kids yet