Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

Who's on a Diet?

Old 02-24-2005, 03:00 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam_Schwartz

I know this - you either do one or the other, not both. But it is completely possible to lose fat and maintain muscle mass, within reason. It is also completely possible to add muscle mass and not get above 10% bf.

It is possible sure. But the question to the above is: Why not follow the most efficient way to LOOK GOOD?

Look good to most people simply means this: As much little fat as possible while including as much of muscle mass as possible. And I am not talking about Mr. Olympia levels here.

So, if that's your goal, to look good, then the most efficient way of doing it is described above, in my posts.

If you dont have time and you're impatient, then you can do what Adam (rather that company and many others) suggested with the so called 12 week programs of magic and mystique Sorry.

As for the rest of what you said, I completely agree. My comments were more anecodtal than anything. I have been lifting for several years and never incorporated much cardio into my regimen. I simply hate cardio, but the time has come that I am willing to do it to achieve a leaner body.
Most people hate cardio. WHat I did was added a sport. The drills for that sport make up for the cardio I dont do on the treadmill. It's important to keep it interesting. Otherwise people quit as we all know.

By the way, if I am gonna run to do cardio (because you dont necessarily have to i order to achieve the cardio exerciese benefits), I always avoid running on the treadmill. It's like using the smith press machine instead of the cage with olympic bars and free weights. WAY better if you can actually run on the court or grass.

I walked into a gym about 3.5 yrs ago at a flimsy 215 and now I am 250.
Wow!

No roids - just hard lifting and eating well.
Give me some details of both. DO you deadlift and or squat and how much weight on the max sets?

What supplements and when?

But the body can, has and will make HUGE transformations in 12 week periods of time when it comes to fat loss.

See above. Absolutely it can. Just stop drinking water for three days and there you go. That's one way of many of course.

Go to Lee Labrada's web site and look at what people have done to themselves in 12 weeks in terms of fat loss.
Man, I am tired of all the magical claims companies that have as their sole interest to make money off of you, have made (through real people). I am not doubting them, but all of us should stop looking at a 12 week program. It's like buying mutual funds in a 401K. It's a LONG term process. The longer the term, the better your chances of success.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:21 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gavriil
It is possible sure. But the question to the above is: Why not follow the most efficient way to LOOK GOOD?

Look good to most people simply means this: As much little fat as possible while including as much of muscle mass as possible. And I am not talking about Mr. Olympia levels here.

So, if that's your goal, to look good, then the most efficient way of doing it is described above, in my posts.

If you dont have time and you're impatient, then you can do what Adam (rather that company and many others) suggested with the so called 12 week programs of magic and mystique Sorry.
It has nothing to do with being impatient - it has everything to do with efficient use of time and doing a challenge. Why lose fat in 24 weeks when one can do it safely in 12?

I will say YOU DON'T have to do what I am doing in 12-weeks to gain a good physique or be healthy. You can go at your own rate. I aplogize if I implied the only way to lose bf is to follow a 12-week program because that is not the case. One can take 12 weeks or 12 months if they prefer. I am doing something to push myself.

Most people hate cardio. WHat I did was added a sport. The drills for that sport make up for the cardio I dont do on the treadmill. It's important to keep it interesting. Otherwise people quit as we all know.

By the way, if I am gonna run to do cardio (because you dont necessarily have to i order to achieve the cardio exerciese benefits), I always avoid running on the treadmill. It's like using the smith press machine instead of the cage with olympic bars and free weights. WAY better if you can actually run on the court or grass.
Yes, variety is the spice of life. Agreed. I like my elliptical because it's easier on my knees. No running for me. Biking is fun too and you actually go somewhere (a la Dennis Leary)

Give me some details of both. DO you deadlift and or squat and how much weight on the max sets?

What supplements and when?
Don't truly know my 1RM on those - they are the staple of my lifting routine, that I can tell you. I can squeeze off 350 lbs x 5 no problem on squat, but I honestly don't do 1RM. So my squat is not super, but not bad. My core strength is my weak point with regard to squats.

My deadlift it much better, I have done 475x5, which is because I am bad and use more back than I really should. Again, I don't know my 1RM. But I do partials, pull ups, good mornings, hyper extensions, stiff leg dead, etc. I feel cheated unless I do bigger moves.

No major supplements, except flax oil, vitamins, l-glut, MRPs and glucosamine. It may be closer to 4 yrs that I have been lifting. I began at a gym that had many PLs in it, so I learned to lift like a PL.

Man, I am tired of all the magical claims companies that have as their sole interest to make money off of you, have made (through real people). I am not doubting them, but all of us should stop looking at a 12 week program. It's like buying mutual funds in a 401K. It's a LONG term process. The longer the term, the better your chances of success.
This has nothing to do with a company selling anything. I am not buying anything for this from any company. It's not some marketing gimmic. That's all I can say.

I want to close by saying that I think some of what I have said has been misconstrued - I am not trying to imply that we can all have Ahnold bodies in 12 weeks. It's a long journey to add muscle and lose fat - it takes some people many, many years to achieve. I have added the muscle and now it's time to lose the fat.

I am just doing something different. After you lift for so many years a good challenge is good for the soul. I could take longer to do this, but I would rather have some fun and push myself a little.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:23 PM
Banned

BTW, Keith Klein and Lee Labrada have that site as a place for people to get knowledge about lifting and health. Does he sell products? Yes! But he offers advice, tips and programs free of charge. It's ok to make a buck, esp if what you sell is a good product.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:32 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with Adam Schwartzsteingold.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:36 PM
Banned

If you know what you are actually doing, you can gain muscle and lose fat.
Some of the replys in here are and make me laugh.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Robbdogg
Hi wrab!
Old 02-24-2005, 03:46 PM
Banned

What does everyone think about lard as a fat-burner? A buddy of mine said that since there is so much fat in lard, that it will actually help prevent the other fat you eat from adhering to your body. Make sense to me, if I take 8 oz of lard (mixed in juice) twice a day like he says, then it really won't matter how much bacon or burgers I eat throughout the day, my fat receptors will already be clogged.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Pull_T
What does everyone think about lard as a fat-burner? A buddy of mine said that since there is so much fat in lard, that it will actually help prevent the other fat you eat from adhering to your body. Make sense to me, if I take 8 oz of lard (mixed in juice) twice a day like he says, then it really won't matter how much bacon or burgers I eat throughout the day, my fat receptors will already be clogged.
Because filling your body with as much fat as it can handle is a good idea

Slap your friend for me.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ABreece
Because filling your body with as much fat as it can handle is a good idea

Slap your friend for me.
Well, think about it logically.

If you do the lard supplementation you can eat whatever the hell you want and not gain weight. I know some people strive for more, but that's not a bad deal for beginners.

And I will not slap my freind, he knows his shit. He benched like 185 the other day without even bouncing it much.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:01 PM
Moderator Alumnus

no way man!! Whole milk is loaded with sugar and lots of it.
MILK (whole or not) has sugar. What whole milk has that other types of mild do not is fat. But:

1. Milk, unlike what you said, it not LOADED with sugar. You make it sound like it's a Mars bar

2. Both whole and low fat milk have about the same amount of sugar. The fat is the difference.

3. Whole milk is recommended during lifting periods due to the fact that you need the types of fat in that whole milk

4. But also because you need the "millions" of different types of so needed nutrients that milk has, that's why I said, no way cutting down on milk. And if anything make it whole milk due to the added benefits.

I'd much rather get my protein intake from lean beef, fish egg whites and poultry than milk anyday of the week and get my carbs from other sources than sugar (unless we are talking about post-workout meals, then junk carbs are acceptable).

You make it sound like milk is mars again. There are things in milk you need that you dont get from poultry and the rest you mentioned. Variety is key for any good results that will last long. No banned foods. Principle.

Sugar is NEVER a good idea when one is trying to lose body fat - that is fact.

I have never heard of ONE BB that when shedding fat did not incorprate lifting into their regimen. That's because they don't.
Of course they do. As I said above, you need to get into a maintenance lifting session when you get aggressive with your diet.

I am not sure why you are on my jock so hard, but me telling him to cut out sugar on a fat loss program is NOT discouraging, but rather helping him achieve his goals faster. He wants to lose fat, not gain weight. And I think I was nothing but encouraging in my post.
Because when you force people to ban foods, it gets discouraging to them. The main reason is that it's not necessary to ban any food when trying to lose weight.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Well, think about it logically.

If you do the lard supplementation you can eat whatever the hell you want and not gain weight. I know some people strive for more, but that's not a bad deal for beginners.
You think that 8 ounces of PURE FAT won't hurt you at all?

And I will not slap my freind, he knows his shit. He benched like 185 the other day without even bouncing it much.
Please tell me you're joking. Please tell me this was just a clever troll that i fell for.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:10 PM
Banned

Please tell me you're joking. Please tell me this was just a clever troll that i fell for.
I can assure you it was not a clever troll by any means.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:25 PM
Suzuka Master

I can assure you it was not a clever troll by any means.
From the sound of it, your friend isn't as smart as he thinks.

Do you understand why i think injesting 8 onces of lard is a bad idea?

Also, 185 pounds on the bench isn't that impressive, ESPECIALLY if he bounces it. Any bounce is indicitive of horrible form. Nobody worth 2 cents in the gym is going to bounce the weight off their chest on the bench. I could double my max bench tonight if i wanted to, all i have to do is use really shitty form.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:26 PM
Banned

From the sound of it, your friend isn't as smart as he thinks.

Do you understand why i think injesting 8 onces of lard is a bad idea?

Also, 185 pounds on the bench isn't that impressive, ESPECIALLY if he bounces it. Any bounce is indicitive of horrible form. Nobody worth 2 cents in the gym is going to bounce the weight off their chest on the bench. I could double my max bench tonight if i wanted to, all i have to do is use really shitty form.
Re-read what I wrote above...and emphasize the word "clever"
Old 02-24-2005, 04:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Re-read what I wrote above...and emphasize the word "clever"
bastard

I even considered that, and then thought "no... he wouldn't be that much of an ass."

Old 02-24-2005, 04:37 PM
Suzuka Master

you guys fell for it hahaha
Old 02-24-2005, 05:32 PM
You Heard Me

Mars bar > milk

Old 02-24-2005, 05:56 PM
2nd Gear

Jack LaLanne "Godfather of Fitness"

Should people consume fewer dairy products?

JL: I'm not a suckling calf. Name me one creature on this earth who uses milk after they wean - except man. Why do you think so many people are fat and have heart attacks? Butter, cream, cheese, all that fat, fat, fat. You can have a little skim milk once in a while. But they've got these athletes prostituting their souls by posing with milk mustaches. Those athletes should be selling something that is going to be beneficial, not detrimental, to kids.

A little skim milk once in a while is not going to hurt you. It isn't what you do once in a while that's a problem; it's what you do all the time. Look at the average American diet: ice cream, butter, cheese, whole milk, all this fat. People don't realize how much of this stuff you get by the end of the day. High blood pressure is from all this high-fat eating. Do you know how many calories are in butter and cheese and ice cream? Would you get your dog up in the morning for a cup of coffee and a donut? Probably millions of Americans got up this morning with a cup of coffee, a cigarette and a donut. No wonder they are sick and fouled up.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:05 PM
Moderator Alumnus

But going from, say, 15% bf to 8% bf in 12 weeks is NOT dangerous to the body. It is an achievable goal that does not destroy one's health.
I would not call it dangerous but I would certainly call it:

1. Not the healthiest way to lose fat and
2. Not the best way to keep the fat off.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:07 PM
Banned

gavrill...Adam Schwartz...

Post pics of yourselves so we can see who has a physique to back up the rhetoric....oiled up or not, either way is fine.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:12 PM
I keeps it real

Post pics of yourselves so we can see who has a physique to back up the rhetoric....oiled up or not, either way is fine.
except we can do without the "oiled up" part
Old 02-24-2005, 06:18 PM
Suzuka Master

drop the lotion and put back the kleenex, this is neither the time nor the place.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:21 PM
LOLZ McCain Sux

Originally Posted by nicholbr
drop the lotion and put back the kleenex, this is neither the time nor the place.

can someone tell me the jist of these 2 peoples arguments...way too much to read
Old 02-24-2005, 06:22 PM
You Heard Me

This is getting verrrrrrrry interesting.

Old 02-24-2005, 06:23 PM
Moderator Alumnus

It has nothing to do with being impatient - it has everything to do with efficient use of time and doing a challenge. Why lose fat in 24 weeks when one can do it safely in 12?

I will say YOU DON'T have to do what I am doing in 12-weeks to gain a good physique or be healthy. You can go at your own rate. I aplogize if I implied the only way to lose bf is to follow a 12-week program because that is not the case. One can take 12 weeks or 12 months if they prefer. I am doing something to push myself.

Because the weight that came off in a few weeks, has very few chances of staying off.

Don't truly know my 1RM on those -
I did not ask for 1RM. I asked about your overload sets. I dont do 1RMs either. I stay between 3 and 5 reps as overload set/s.

they are the staple of my lifting routine, that I can tell you.
If you mean you do them a lot, then good for you. You're a smart lifter.

I can squeeze off 350 lbs x 5 no problem on squat, but I honestly don't do 1RM. So my squat is not super, but not bad.
That's pretty good for your weight. Three and a half plates is serious weight pretty much for anyone.

I assume this is free weights on a 45 pound Olympic bar, right?

My core strength is my weak point with regard to squats.
What do you mean?

My deadlift it much better, I have done 475x5, which is because I am bad and use more back than I really should.
Wow! This is reall good stuff for a non-professional. I assume. You're a pretty strong guy Adam.

Again, I don't know my 1RM. But I do partials, pull ups, good mornings, hyper extensions, stiff leg dead, etc. I feel cheated unless I do bigger moves.
What's a partial?

hyper extensions? You mean back extensions?

Do you do weighted back extensions?

How much on free weight for stiff leg deadlifts? I love those too.

Bigger moves? What do you mean? Compound exercies? If yes, you're right. You are cheated if not. Isolation is not good unlike what most people think.

No major supplements, except flax oil, vitamins, l-glut, MRPs and glucosamine. It may be closer to 4 yrs that I have been lifting. I began at a gym that had many PLs in it, so I learned to lift like a PL.
Flax oil, is that fish oil?

Iglut?? The rest I also dont know much about.

PLs?

This has nothing to do with a company selling anything. I am not buying anything
for this from any company. It's not some marketing gimmic. That's all I can say.

See you take yourself as an example which is not a good simily for what I am saying and what most people are like. Most people cant dead lift 50 pounds let alone 475 dude. In other words, by taking yourself as an example, you're helping my argument. You are a senior lifter. So a diet and/or cardio has great chances of success in your case because of the hormonal status in your body right now.

I want to close by saying that I think some of what I have said has been misconstrued - I am not trying to imply that we can all have Ahnold bodies in 12 weeks.
Me neither. I know what you meant.

It's a long journey to add muscle and lose fat - it takes some people many, many years to achieve. I have added the muscle and now it's time to lose the fat.
Well there you go. Now you say what I said before.

Exactly. You're doing exactly what I wrote one should do in previous messages.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:26 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Robbdogg

Let me repeat this one more time:

YES, you can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. But not in the most efficient way. Especially for untrained people which is most of us. If one separated the two the process will be more efficient. A lot more.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:36 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by JesusJuice

can someone tell me the jist of these 2 peoples arguments...way too much to read
After reading Adam's latest posts, I dont think we agree more than we disagree on the principles of weight loss.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:47 PM
2nd Gear

All I know is I've been lifting on and off for about 10 yrs now and never heard of that whole milk argument. I have hard time understanding the other posts.
With all due respect, not sure if I want to take advice from a guy that doesn't even know what partials and flax oil are...
Old 02-24-2005, 06:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Faulty
With all due respect, not sure if I want to take advice from a guy that doesn't even know what partials and flax oil are...
...or L-glut or that PL=powerlifter
Old 02-24-2005, 07:03 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Faulty
No problem.

It's just that I am born raised in Europe, so I am little light on the lingo when it comes down to gym talk.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:04 PM
You Heard Me

Yo, mattg, you are 200?

Myself, I need to be the weight I currently am, but lose about 5 pounds of excess.
With my current regimen, I should be where I want by May.
Old 03-20-2005, 12:06 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,231 Likes on 821 Posts
Green Tea for loosing weight??? I hear it speeds metabolism...

Any truth to it?
Old 03-20-2005, 05:27 PM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by wsklar

Any truth to it?

With all the "fitness experts" here, no one knows???

For shame....
Old 03-20-2005, 05:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wsklar

Any truth to it?
I've heard green tea is supposed to have a calming effect, so I wouldn't think it would speed up your metabolism. Green tea may help you lose weight because there are some substances in certain types of green tea -- there are many types -- that lower your blood-sugar levels, thereby making you feel less hungry.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:38 PM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by TLover
I've heard green tea is supposed to have a calming effect, so I wouldn't think it would speed up your metabolism. Green tea may help you lose weight because there are some substances in certain types of green tea -- there are many types -- that lower your blood-sugar levels, thereby making you feel less hungry.
Thanks, found some info here.... http://my.webmd.com/search/search_re...bmd_all_filter

Now, my next mission is to find out whether sugar substitutes (spenda, equal, Sweet n Low) cause cavities.....
Old 03-20-2005, 11:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TLover
Green tea has caffeine which is a major part of all of those "weight loss" pills. In addition to the anti-oxidants and other goodies in green tea, studies have shown that it causes your body to burn more fat for energy than normal.

A lot of bodybuilders i know recommend it highly, although it's certainly not a "magic" weight-loss pill.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:16 PM
Banned

Green tea has caffeine which is a major part of all of those "weight loss" pills. In addition to the anti-oxidants and other goodies in green tea, studies have shown that it causes your body to burn more fat for energy than normal.

A lot of bodybuilders i know recommend it highly, although it's certainly not a "magic" weight-loss pill.
Green tea contains very little caffeince when compared to coffee and other teas.

Percentage of caffeine in the following beverages:
Coffee- 0.05%
Black tea- 0.05%
Gyokuro- 0.02%
Sencha- 0.015%
Hoji cha- 0.008%
Genmai cha- 0.008%
Hyakunen cha- 0.001%

Green tea contains L-theanine which counters many of the effects of caffeine.

L-theanine is a healthy amino acid that is only found in tea plants and certain mushrooms. L-theanine directly stimulates the production of alpha brain waves which promotes a state of relaxed awareness, it has a calming effect on the body without making one drowsy.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:17 AM
Go Giants

But a glass or two a day is probably a good thing.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:46 AM
Pit Stop?

Man, this is harder than I thought
Old 03-21-2005, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by tmk70
No more snacking and 4 course lunches for me anymore. I went to a wedding this weekend and my suit pants and shirt collar were TORQUED.

I gotta lose 30 before summer. 230 is unacceptable. :fatass:

I bet that mouth weight 80lbs alone. FATASS!