Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

Who's on a Diet?

Old 02-23-2005, 10:32 AM
Pit Stop?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ABreece
Don't let your aversion to the low carb fad keep you from watching your carbohydrate intake. French fries, white bread, candy, pop, pasta, chips, etc. are all great foods for getting fat. Stick to high quality carbs - green veggies, wild rice, whole wheat bread, etc.

I only use wheat bread now, I still eat pasta after I work out, and I guess I'll start adding rice into what I eat
Old 02-23-2005, 10:43 AM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brown rice if you can
Old 02-23-2005, 10:44 AM
Race Director

Don't let your aversion to the low carb fad keep you from watching your carbohydrate intake. French fries, white bread, candy, pop, pasta, chips, etc. are all great foods for getting fat. Stick to high quality carbs - green veggies, wild rice, whole wheat bread, etc.

Theres so many advertisments out right now, WHAT TO EAT, WHAT NOT TO EAT, BLAH BLAH BLAH....

You have to monitor your body for yourself....

Carbs are not the enemy, its all about chosing the right carbs, or more less, controlling your insulin.

High sugary foods, white breads, white pastas, white rice, potatos, sugar, candy, all that will spike your insulin to high hell, telling your body to store more fat....

People get way to absorbed into counting their calories, i dont think its important personally so long as you dont go overboard, and make sure your calories come from clean sources...

also, i take note of what kinds of food i eat together...for example

I only eat protein/carb meals

or protein/fat meals....

I try not to mix carbs/fat becuase your body favors carbs as a #1 energy source, then fats, then protein. If your feeding your body high carbs, it will utilize them for energy, but have no need for the fats, so then store them....

Heres a quick list of some nice healthy foods

Carbs:
old fashioned oatmeal (not the instant crap, ingredients should read 100 percent rolled oats)
Brown rice
organic breads/pastas
yams/sweet taters
all veggies
apples/oranges

Proteins
Fish
Chicken
Lean cut steak
Cottage cheese
Eggs (egg whites more then yolks)
Tuna
Beans

Fats
Fish oil
flax
natty PB

And as for supplements
i stay away from all the bars, none of the ingredients are usually true, and their loaded with sugar

for protein powders, i recommend ON Whey, but then again most all whey powders are good, just make sure the calories are mostly derived from protein (1 gram of protein=4 calories)

With that you can do alot, mix it with milk, or make your own protein shakes...for example

2 scoops ON whey
1 cup oatmeal
1/2 Banana
3-4 ice cubes
either water/milk

and blend....
and there you go!

In regards to exercising, 3 times a week will help more then you know, so for those of you who want to shed some lbs, hit up some sort of cardio activity 3 times, 30 minutes, monitor your heart rate, and youll be suprised how much fat youll drop.

Then you just take it from there, always switch things up after a few weeks becuase the body adapts extremely quickly, and "new/different" things will spark better gains/results.

Hope this was a help....
Old 02-23-2005, 10:50 AM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
Originally Posted by Minch00
After a while, you stop desiring foods you used to think you could never give up in the past. I think it's because I realize I'd have to work about an hour just to work off the one burger, and I'm inherently lazy.
I can have pretty much whatever I want...as long as I dont have what I want everyday. So at least once a week I treat my self to something bad for me.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:53 AM
Banned

^that site doesn't work mang
My bad, use www.labrada.com

Go to the Coaching Club - you'll have to register, but it's free. Tons of good tips available.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:54 AM
o-qua tangin wann

Originally Posted by 1killercls
I can have pretty much whatever I want...as long as I dont have what I want everyday. So at least once a week I treat my self to something bad for me.

screw you-- i dont have that control

ur previous post about a double bacon cheeseburger is making me go to wendy's for lunch... to get the triple bacon
Old 02-23-2005, 10:58 AM
Banned

I'm not doing low carb....the world is obsessed with it and I don't think it's right for me. I just work on watching fat content, calories, sodium, etc. Along with exersicing more than I eat. Having a Subway on campus is great
I'd highly recommend you DON'T do a low-carb diet. Carbs are essential to our body's funtion. Just eat the right carbs in the right proportions and you'll be fine. Remember, not all carbs are the same.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:22 AM
ric
Safety Car

Originally Posted by esCarbonie
hah we are in the same boat!! I weigh the exact same as you, only problem is I am a shade under 6 foot!!

I am about 3 months into wieght training, and 1 month into a more aggressive and outlined regimen. 5 meals a day whenever I can, loads of calories as healthy as I can make them. I've seen some strength gains, and I get more swollen and puffy when Im done at the gym than I did in the beginning, but I havent seen any new lb's really. I have to be patient because I know it will take time/work more time and more work!
I've added about ten pounds over a year of concentrated anaerobic and aerobic exercise, follwed by a no-refined sugar diet (insulin dependent diabetic) and care in picking easily metabolized carbs and a protein milkshake. I''m 6'-2, and now weigh about 170, not too bad given that I have a light bone structure. Strength gain is signifciant, muscle mass is substantial, never had any fat to begin with, so there was none to "convert". Up from 160, used to be 150.................... will probably stabilize in another couple of pounds.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:33 AM
Drifting

I have lost some weight (well, for me at least) and have toned up since switching jobs. Stress is actually a factor in weight gain, since it affects your eating habits and screws up your metabolism. It was (and still kind of hard for me) to balance work, family, but having a corporate gym and co-workers that are also pretty healthy helps. (I am not too far from my goal of looking halfway decent in a bikini for summer. )
Old 02-23-2005, 11:54 AM
Masshole

Originally Posted by gavriil
That's another big misconception.

You lift first and you lose next. But never at the same time. Because they are counterintuitive. They have conflicting targets.

Believe it or not, the proper way to lose weight and keep it that way, will follow a period of mass gain. You have to gain weight in order to have better chances to lose it and keep it off for ever.

The best way to lose weight is to increase your muscle mass. So it's a long term process. 3 years on average if you're gonna have good chances to keep that weight off.
I have had success with a healthier diet and running (or other regular exercise) to drop pounds of chub off. I haven't consistently run or played basketball in a couple years, so I've fattened up more than I would like. My diet hasn't changed much in that period, but my activity has decreased. So, with increased activity, the pounds will come off, so I can fit into my clothes more comfortably. Then, I'll think about lifting a LITTLE, to increase strength, not necessarily to get big.

[/My experience]
Old 02-23-2005, 12:09 PM
Team Owner

Received 598 Likes on 416 Posts
I'm working on dropping about 20 lbs. I'm about half way there, just by watching what I eat, and drinking a lot of water. I need to start working out, but I'm a lazy bastard.

According to most of those calculators I should be about 175 lbs. I'm about 5 ft 10 inches. But I would have to cut off a let to ever weigh 175, so I'm going to settle for about 185 to 190. I've already dropped from 205 to about 193.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:09 PM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
lots of good info in here....
Old 02-23-2005, 12:12 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ric
I've added about ten pounds over a year of concentrated anaerobic and aerobic exercise, follwed by a no-refined sugar diet (insulin dependent diabetic) and care in picking easily metabolized carbs and a protein milkshake. I''m 6'-2, and now weigh about 170, not too bad given that I have a light bone structure. Strength gain is signifciant, muscle mass is substantial, never had any fat to begin with, so there was none to "convert". Up from 160, used to be 150.................... will probably stabilize in another couple of pounds.
nice!!
Old 02-23-2005, 12:14 PM
I shoot people

Received 2,778 Likes on 1,407 Posts
cardio+diet= cut your time in half

(at least 45 min. a day at least 5 days a week)
Old 02-23-2005, 12:20 PM
Suzuka Master

I only use wheat bread now, I still eat pasta after I work out, and I guess I'll start adding rice into what I eat
If you want to eat pasta, make it whole grain pasta. You're probably using up a ton of carbohydrates over that 3 hour period of exercise (extended exercise like that is not optimal for burning fat itself) and you crave foods dense in them. Pasta is one of those foods.

Originally Posted by 1killercls
One cheat meal a week is a great way to stay on target. I use it as a reward - if i keep my diet on target all week, i get to chow down on Friday night.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:02 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by ricecake
I have lost some weight (well, for me at least) and have toned up since switching jobs. Stress is actually a factor in weight gain, since it affects your eating habits and screws up your metabolism. It was (and still kind of hard for me) to balance work, family, but having a corporate gym and co-workers that are also pretty healthy helps. (I am not too far from my goal of looking halfway decent in a bikini for summer. )
Also, people in high stress jobs tend to tell themselves "I don't have time to work out". That corporate gym goes a long way. Good luck with the exercise
Old 02-23-2005, 01:04 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
hah we are in the same boat!! I weigh the exact same as you, only problem is I am a shade under 6 foot!!

I am about 3 months into wieght training, and 1 month into a more aggressive and outlined regimen. 5 meals a day whenever I can, loads of calories as healthy as I can make them. I've seen some strength gains, and I get more swollen and puffy when Im done at the gym than I did in the beginning, but I havent seen any new lb's really. I have to be patient because I know it will take time/work more time and more work!
It's always been hard for me to put on weight. Don't fret, because you're only 3 months into it. I've been working out since I was 14 (started really light), and I'm STILL small!
Old 02-23-2005, 01:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by is300eater
cardio+diet= cut your time in half

(at least 45 min. a day at least 5 days a week)
Partly true - you don't need to be on a constant 5/45 cardio plan to lose fat. You can build up to this and maintain it for 4 weeks or so, but long-term it isn't necessary.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:10 PM
I keeps it real

Are you talking about the area between his delts (outer shoulder) and his neck? Those are traps, not lats.

by responding without thinking.

I took a full series of anatomy and physiology courses in college as well as I am a liscensed EMT Basic. I know better, just not thinking before i post.

It's called a trapesius in part because it's shaped like a trapezoid in your upper back.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:14 PM
Suzuka Master

I'm on the cheesesteak diet. No more than 3 cheesesteaks a day. only half a jar of mayo per sammich too.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by youngTL
Also, people in high stress jobs tend to tell themselves "I don't have time to work out". That corporate gym goes a long way. Good luck with the exercise
I work 50 hours a week and have a 1.5 hour round trip commute. I find time to hit the gym at least 3 times on weekdays for over an hour each time. I could work 60 hours a week and still find the time, especially if i started going on the weekends.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by GoDucksCLSPride
by responding without thinking.

I took a full series of anatomy and physiology courses in college as well as I am a liscensed EMT Basic. I know better, just not thinking before i post.

It's called a trapesius in part because it's shaped like a trapezoid in your upper back.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:19 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Nah, not overtraining. I lifted more days when I was training for tennis in high school. As other people have mentioned, what works for some people doesn't work for others. I know the limitations of my body and this is well below those tolerances. You should hear the trainings I did while I was training for tennis. Those were overtraining. I lost a ton of weight fast during those years but the strain on my body was really pretty insane...
Most high school and college athletes are overtrained mostly because of ignorant trainers (probably 98% of them are so). Not to claim that I know everything but I read on the latest research which most trainers dont.

I mentioned I cant say for sure you're overtraining before mainly because I dont know about how much you overload and what levels of intensity are involved when you lift.

But let me make a general point here: Latest research shows that when lifting and when an athlete reaches 1-5 MAX RM set or sets, the main (but not necessarily synergist) muscles (or groups) involved, must completely rest for 5-7 days in order to totally recover.

We also found that only after 14 days of no training does a muscle start to lose its strength (but not necessarily power - gets complicated here).

That's the latest research.

So if you dont reach 1-5 MAX RM sets, then you might be find training repetative muscle groups more than once a week.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:20 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by RMATIC09
Nope, your not. Thats impossible.

Your actually losing fat, and builing muscle, fat cannot turn into muscle,
Correct.

Two completely different processes within your body.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:20 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
everyuthing i see i eat
Old 02-24-2005, 02:22 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by cTLgo
This site:
http://www.johnstonefitness.com/

proves that all you need is a sensible diet and excercise and you can lose weight no problem. This guy lost the bulk of his weight in 6 months time and is now very fit.

I am not sure about this guy's situation but it is physically impossible for a totally untrained your person to start physical activity (and also diet) and become "very fit" in 6 months. Unless the definition of "very fit" is very different than what it is on average in the industry.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:22 PM
I keeps it real

Originally Posted by dallison
everyuthing i see i eat
Seafood diet eh? Hey, im on that one too.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:28 PM
Master in Science

I'm on a diet. Goal is to loose 10-15 lbs from 170...

My problem is that I'm already a healthy eater. I only drink water & orange juice. Eat a small turkey/lettuce sandwitch for lunch every day (no mayo), and a salad and rice/meat for dinner. Sometimes replaced by chicken soop. For breakfast, I eat a bowl of cereal with milk. Usually some granola cereal or the like.

To improve things, I'm doubling my exercise. From 2 trips to the gym weekly, to 30 min run (2-3 miles) every week day plus 2-3 weight-lifting sessions. I also stopped eating bread for breakfast, and am cutting down on pasta for dinner. I'm eating fruits for dessert instead of sweets, and taking carrots to work to keep from buying snacks in the vending machine (rare).

I also stopped buying gum, which became a bad habit.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:32 PM
ITS ALL ABOUT THE GLOW

Im on a DIET for life gastric bypass YEAAAA 185 LBS.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:35 PM
I keeps it real

Originally Posted by Blades
Im on a DIET for life gastric bypass YEAAAA 185 LBS.

HOLY SHIT...thats what you weigh? or what you lost. Either way. HOLY SHIT
Old 02-24-2005, 02:37 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Adam_Schwartz

A key to losing FAT, rather than just weight, is to combine diet, cardio and lifting all into one complete routine. It's not easy, that's for sure. But the results from doing a consistent 12-week program can be more than worth the effort put into it.
See that's where I completely disagree. These are the completely unrealistic claims that companies which try to make money off of people, claim and hence people get discouraged after trying this kind of stuff.

If one's goal is to gain muscle mass and lose fat WHICH MOST WILL STAY OFF, then none of the above will happen in 12 weeks. None of the above will happen in 24 weeks either.

This is a very long time dedication-intense process and the three factors involved (cardio training, overload weight lifting training and "kitchen work" - what you call diet), cannot be executed at the same time, most of the time. Mainly because, for example, diet and muscle mass gain are an oxymoron. You cant not eat fat and carbs for example if you're gonna add muscle. It wont happen as efficiently as your body could execute on that.

It's like telling your feet to move, but at the same time chaining them. It's contradictory.

And that's why this is a long time process. Because you have to add musle first (that's why I mentioned you might gain weight in the first year, but it's fine - although you will look better with the same % of fat on you), while doing very little cardio (maybe 10% as compared to the time spent on lifting) then (probably 1.5 to 2.5 years later) you have to ease yourself into balancing it with cardio (50%-50% possibly here). No special diet yet. Just use the principles I mentioned before. Eat every 2.5 hours, eat small portions, dont ban foods unless you hate them, dont eat anything low fat, etc.

Then (probably 2.5 years after you started) you can start getting into a maintenance mode with your lifting and still doing about 50% cardio and start cutting down on food, but very carefully. At this point you want variety but the principle is what you mentioned below which is:

But in order to lose FAT, you have to burn more calories than you consume - plain and simple.
But the above works ONLY after a very long and intense round of weight lifting and cardio exercise. You cant just start untrained and cut on food and thinking you will lose fat. Actually in the beginning you will be losing, believe it or not, more muscle than fat. Yes. Your body prefers to attack lean mass before going into the fat reserves. That's very dangerous especially when combined with very intense cardio exercise which most that want to lose weight do.

Now why does it take so long to lift before going into the cardio and dieting seriously? Well, this is complicated but a basica example is this. For the untrained person, it takes up to 2 years for testosterone levels to reach their peak (assuming you're in your 20s or 30s). You have to reach that point first before you start dieting or doing serious cardio.

It gets complicated from there.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by slo007
I'm on a diet. Goal is to loose 10-15 lbs from 170...

My problem is that I'm already a healthy eater. I only drink water & orange juice. Eat a small turkey/lettuce sandwitch for lunch every day (no mayo), and a salad and rice/meat for dinner. Sometimes replaced by chicken soop. For breakfast, I eat a bowl of cereal with milk. Usually some granola cereal or the like.

To improve things, I'm doubling my exercise. From 2 trips to the gym weekly, to 30 min run (2-3 miles) every week day plus 2-3 weight-lifting sessions. I also stopped eating bread for breakfast, and am cutting down on pasta for dinner. I'm eating fruits for dessert instead of sweets, and taking carrots to work to keep from buying snacks in the vending machine (rare).

I also stopped buying gum, which became a bad habit.
Some quick tips - lose the OJ and milk - those have lots of sugar in them and sugar is not good for fat loss. Eat more complex carbs to make your body work harder to break carbs down into sugars.

You are on the right track, but a few more changes (not forever, just for 8-12 weeks) will make a big difference. The sugar and flour-based foods are the worst when it comes to losing fat. Dairy too. Try to eat 5-6 small, balanced meals a day to up your metabolism. And some carrots or a granola bar is not a meal But veggies are great snacks because they are so low in calories.

Also, good job on the exercise - you will see results sooner than later.

Good luck!
Old 02-24-2005, 02:45 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Some quick tips - lose the OJ and milk - those have lots of sugar in them and sugar is not good for fat loss.
Absolutely not!

He is saying that he is lifting at the gym and that if anything he is doubling his efforts there. If anything, he now needs WHOLE! milk more than ever.

I mean stuff like that is what completely discourages people from sticking to a healthy but doable program. You cant cut on milk when you go to the gym, that's when you need to add on milk, I am sorry.

The main problem with the above, as I stated in my previous message, is that you're asking an athlete to do two counterintuitive things at the same time.

People that want to lose weight must stop asking for their cake and eat it too. You will go to the gym first to lift without any intend to lose any weight. And if weight is added because of added muscle mass then that's fine. We'll deal with the fat later. Read above post for some of the details (although it's very high level).

Remember: the more muscle mass one has, the easier it is to lose fat when doing ANY TYPE OF ecercise afterwards. You must work on adding muscle first. That's the base.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:46 PM
Banned

See that's where I completely disagree. These are the completely unrealistic claims that companies which try to make money off of people, claim and hence people get discouraged after trying this kind of stuff.
We'll have to agree to disagree - I have seen it happen too many times and know people personally who are natural BB who do this all the time.

If one's goal is to gain muscle mass and lose fat WHICH MOST WILL STAY OFF, then none of the above will happen in 12 weeks. None of the above will happen in 24 weeks either.
I know this - you either do one or the other, not both. But it is completely possible to lose fat and maintain muscle mass, within reason. It is also completely possible to add muscle mass and not get above 10% bf.

As for the rest of what you said, I completely agree. My comments were more anecodtal than anything. I have been lifting for several years and never incorporated much cardio into my regimen. I simply hate cardio, but the time has come that I am willing to do it to achieve a leaner body. I walked into a gym about 3.5 yrs ago at a flimsy 215 and now I am 250. No roids - just hard lifting and eating well. But the body can, has and will make HUGE transformations in 12 week periods of time when it comes to fat loss. Go to Lee Labrada's web site and look at what people have done to themselves in 12 weeks in terms of fat loss.

Muscle mass gains...that's another story all together. It is not as easy to gain lean muscle than it is to lose fat.

Again, I agree that it takes a long time to achieve those poster boy physiques that we all see on TV. But just general fat loss need not take years.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:47 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Wanted to comment on this - you make an indirect point by showing if someone is patient and consistent, then they will achieve their goals. We live in a NOW society where we want instant gratification and true results are not gained overnight. It takes time - all those beautiful people you see on TV and billboards did not get that way overnight. They most likely worked very hard or have awesome genetics, or both, to look like they do. Not saying everyone has to be ripped to be healthy, because I am not, but people see that and get depressed when they don't look that way after a few weeks of training and diet.
There you go. You said it yourself
Old 02-24-2005, 02:49 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Make sure you follow some of these principles at the gym if you are saying that you dont get to add muscle as quickly as you would have liked to.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:50 PM
Moderator Alumnus

We'll have to agree to disagree - I have seen it happen too many times and know people personally who are natural BB who do this all the time.

I am not saying it cant happen (as far as losing the weight). I can lose a ton of weight in very little time too if I

1. am gonna abuse my body and reach dangerous levels of health
2. am not expecting for the weight I lostto be mostly fat (and not muscle)
3. am not expecting for the weight to stay off
Old 02-24-2005, 02:52 PM
Banned

Absolutely not!

He is saying that he is lifting at the gym and that if anything he is doubling his efforts there. If anything, he now needs WHOLE! milk more than ever.

I mean stuff like that is what completely discourages people from sticking to a healthy but doable program. You cant cut on milk when you go to the gym, that's when you need to add on milk, I am sorry.

The main problem with the above, as I stated in my previous message, is that you're asking an athlete to do two counterintuitive things at the same time.

People that want to lose weight must stop asking for their cake and eat it too. You will go to the gym first to lift without any intend to lose any weight. And if weight is added because of added muscle mass then that's fine. We'll deal with the fat later. Read above post for some of the details (although it's very high level).

Remember: the more muscle mass one has, the easier it is to lose fat when doing ANY TYPE OF ecercise afterwards. You must work on adding muscle first. That's the base.
no way man!! Whole milk is loaded with sugar and lots of it. I'd much rather get my protein intake from lean beef, fish egg whites and poultry than milk anyday of the week and get my carbs from other sources than sugar (unless we are talking about post-workout meals, then junk carbs are acceptable).

Sugar is NEVER a good idea when one is trying to lose body fat - that is fact.

I have never heard of ONE BB that when shedding fat did not incorprate lifting into their regimen. That's because they don't.

I am not sure why you are on my jock so hard, but me telling him to cut out sugar on a fat loss program is NOT discouraging, but rather helping him achieve his goals faster. He wants to lose fat, not gain weight. And I think I was nothing but encouraging in my post.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:53 PM
Banned

Only time i see a gym, is when i'm walking past it......lol

I'm 5'11 175lbs, firm and in excellent shape, i dont know why, some people used to say when i hit 30 its all down hill and i'll be out of shape in no time.. Don't think so.....
Old 02-24-2005, 02:55 PM
Banned

I am not saying it cant happen (as far as losing the weight). I can lose a ton of weight in very little time too if I

1. am gonna abuse my body and reach dangerous levels of health
2. am not expecting for the weight I lostto be mostly fat (and not muscle)
3. am not expecting for the weight to stay off
But going from, say, 15% bf to 8% bf in 12 weeks is NOT dangerous to the body. It is an achievable goal that does not destroy one's health.

With regard to #3, I am failing to mention that people need to adhere to lifestyle changes. They cannot eat like champs and exercise 4-5 times a week and then go back to Mickey Ds and couch potato status and not expect to get fat again. But I would hope that is impplied. Before I began my current 12-week program I already ate well and will continue to eat well. I also lifted a lot and will keep lifting. I will need to mix in 3 cardio sessions/week, but I know I can do it.