AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Health & Fitness (https://acurazine.com/forums/health-fitness-34/)
-   -   Whiskers Weight Loss Advice Thread (https://acurazine.com/forums/health-fitness-34/whiskers-weight-loss-advice-thread-319921/)

stphy32 10-22-2005 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Whiskers
For me, cereal seems to be a good choice any time of day, with some rules.
-Skim milk!!!
-Healthy cereal
-Add a banana

My favorites:
-Low Carb Special K
-Regular Special K
-Weight Watchers cereal
-Cherios

another excellent cereal is KASHI "GO LEAN" CRUNCH

make sure u get the Go lean crunch though, this seems to be the only good tasting and its sooo good for you!

Scottman111 10-23-2005 07:17 PM

Thanks Whiskers and Stephy,

I'll try those cereals. I'm gonna stop adding sugar to my cereal now and see how much it helps.

stphy32 10-27-2005 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Scottman111
Thanks Whiskers and Stephy,

I'll try those cereals. I'm gonna stop adding sugar to my cereal now and see how much it helps.

You should definitely try not to add sugar if you can. Milk already has enough sugar and the ceral I mentioned, the Kashi GO Lean Crunch, it has natural sweetened things in it such as honey, rather than just putting in sugar like many cereals.

here is a link: Check out the ingredients:

http://www.kashi.com/golean_crunch.a...ategory_ID=67&

Scottman111 10-31-2005 12:34 AM

I'll try that stphy thanks :smile:

Whiskers,
did you keep with your diet while you were on vacation? :tongue:

Mizouse 10-31-2005 06:00 AM

bah.. ive given up on losing weight, i just dont got the motivation anymore and havent been feeling to great about myself lately :cry:

Whiskers 10-31-2005 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Scottman111
I'll try that stphy thanks :smile:

Whiskers,
did you keep with your diet while you were on vacation? :tongue:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...3&postcount=45

Whiskers 10-31-2005 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Mizouse
bah.. ive given up on losing weight, i just dont got the motivation anymore and havent been feeling to great about myself lately :cry:

Take a daily jog and the rest will come to you. The better you feel physically, the better you will feel about yourself....

VTEC11 12-01-2005 02:30 PM

Some great info in this thread. Thanks whiskers..

ludachrisvt 03-01-2006 02:43 PM

this isnt updated anymore. I think the title needs editing!

Whiskers 03-01-2006 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by ludachrisvt
this isnt updated anymore. I think the title needs editing!

My advise is to wear yellow because it's slimming.

ludachrisvt 03-01-2006 05:05 PM

^ black is better

MarbleGT 03-06-2006 10:13 AM

i just found this thread and it has been great!! Let the exercise begin TODAY!!!

Whiskers 03-07-2006 08:10 PM

For the hardcore:
-Cereal - All Bran with Extra Fibre - Tastes like crap, but very healthy
-"Ice Cream" - Blend 2 scoops of protein shake, a banana, some strawberries, a few peanuts and slim milk. Pour in a container and freeze - yum

SanJoseRoller 03-07-2006 08:37 PM

how is just regular ass plain Cheerio's ?

i eat a bowl every day / a medium dinner / work out

that pritty much sums up my meal for the day

Whiskers 03-07-2006 08:39 PM

^^Go with the Multigrain Cheerios (taste better and better for you)

wstevens 03-07-2006 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by SanJoseRoller

Reese's Peanut Butter Puffs with cool whip instead of milk. :2cents:

Whiskers 03-07-2006 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by wstevens
Reese's Peanut Butter Puffs with cool whip instead of milk. :2cents:

Hey, I didn't mess with your hockey thread......

wstevens 03-07-2006 08:59 PM

Hey, I didn't mess with your hockey thread......

:sorry:

SpeedyV6 03-07-2006 10:02 PM

Personally I think its time Whiskers resign from his position as AZ weight loss guru. His loss has been dwarfed by Amirsafdari's.

Street Spirit 03-07-2006 10:17 PM

They've both worked hard at becoming healthier. Congrats to both of 'em.

Whiskers 03-08-2006 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by SpeedyV6
Personally I think its time Whiskers resign from his position as AZ weight loss guru. His loss has been dwarfed by Amirsafdari's.

I would be 120 LBS if I lost as much weight as Amirsafdari.....

95gt 03-08-2006 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by SanJoseRoller

i eat a bowl every day / a medium dinner / work out

that pritty much sums up my meal for the day

you eat a bowl of cereal and a dinner? thats it? :what:

Doesn't sound like a very healthy eating schedule at all.

Whiskers 03-08-2006 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by 95gt
you eat a bowl of cereal and a dinner? thats it? :what:

Doesn't sound like a very healthy eating schedule at all.

True - Shot for 1500 healthy calories spread evenly through the day.

VoLLy 03-27-2006 10:13 PM

Is Tropicana Orange Juice an okay part substitute for water? Let alone is orange juice good for my diet? Right now I drink about 2-3 cups of OJ and 1 bottle of water (600 ML) everyday.

And also is Special K Vanilla Almonds and/or Special K Strawberries good for a diet cereal?

EDIT: The OJ I consume is:

Tropicana Essentials /w Added Calcium
Calories 110 per 250 ML
Vitamin C - 130%
Calcium - 30%

any good?

Whiskers 03-28-2006 06:33 AM

I personally think OJ (or any juice for that matter) has too much sugar and calories. However, one glass a day has some good benefits.

Special K is good stuff....

itrhybrid 03-31-2006 08:30 AM

Some good advice in here. I skimmed over most of it, so sorry if this has been said already. While I have not lost the extreme amount that Whiskers has, I have dropped 30lbs over the last 6 months(200lbs-170lbs)

I shot for 2-3 pounds a week, which I would say is a good start. For someone that's really overweight and taking in way too much, you'll probably see greater loss at first.
I took out all white variants of food(bread, rice, pasta) and replaced them with brown or whole grain. The taste was different at first and a little hard to get used to, but now that's all I have when I have a choice.
I started out working out 6 days a week split evenly between cardio and lifting. Now I'm at 4-5 days a week. For cardio, it does not take more than 15-30 minutes, but you need to get your heart rate up. Studies have shown that shorter more intense workouts have the same benefit as longer less intense sessions.

That's all I can remember for now.

James

Whiskers 04-05-2006 06:32 PM

^^Keep at it :thumbsup:

PinkyLV 04-05-2006 07:02 PM

How did I miss this thread? I need to lose 15lbs...I'm just so damn lazy :( I'll try anything...thanks in advance Wiskers!

Whiskers 04-05-2006 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by PinkyLV
How did I miss this thread? I need to lose 15lbs...I'm just so damn lazy :( I'll try anything...thanks in advance Wiskers!

Don't loose too much of that "booty" ;)

subinf 04-15-2006 11:32 AM

I really like the advice about choosing an alternative sweet instead of eating a "normal" dessert. My problem is that now I'm addicted to my sweet candy. Its still better than eating a bowl of ice cream...

I think I'll try Jolly Ranchers. They seem to last a lot longer and I probably wont eat as many of them. I do have weak teeth in the sense that I seem to get cavities a hell of a lot easier than everyone else, even with brushing two or three times a day.

Whiskers 04-15-2006 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by subinf
I really like the advice about choosing an alternative sweet instead of eating a "normal" dessert. My problem is that now I'm addicted to my sweet candy. Its still better than eating a bowl of ice cream...

I think I'll try Jolly Ranchers. They seem to last a lot longer and I probably wont eat as many of them. I do have weak teeth in the sense that I seem to get cavities a hell of a lot easier than everyone else, even with brushing two or three times a day.

I pretty much live on sugar free gum and candy.

F900 04-16-2006 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Astroboy
Astro's Diet

I eat a balanced healthy diet. No processed foods save for cheese, butter etc. All brown grains, whole wheat pasta....not much red meat, lots of chicken and pork and fish. 2 days a week I eat vegetarian. I cook every meal for myself, I don't go to restaurants, eat fast food or take out either...I do eat a lot of peanut butter and brown bread.
I don't eat chocolate bars, i only ever drink water, and the occasional juice, never drink or pop. don't do caffeine either. My salt and sugar intake is kept within recommended limits also....

I'm the complete opposite lol....

subinf 04-16-2006 04:08 PM

how bad is caffine? I probably drink way to much coffee each day...probably 2 lattes and cup of black of if i dont make a latte ill have 4-5 cups of reg coffee.
I've eliminated soda completely from my diet, only drinking water and juice otherwise

Whiskers 04-16-2006 04:40 PM

https://acurazine.com/forums/health-fitness-34/skinny-caffeine-315177/

That being said, I pretty much load up on caffiene until around 2:00 PM.

curls 10-10-2006 02:06 PM

I know this thread is quite old, but I was reading through it and have a question:

How hard would it be to get started with a morning jog (then run once I'm good at it), when the weather is getting cooler and cooler? It's down around 40*F here in the mornings now (even cooler on a few mornings already), and in a few months time it will be snowy and icy. Not fun to run in, I'd assume.

My plan, along with good eating habits (not a diet, just eat healthy and less than I have been), is to get started with jogging in the morning before my morning shower. However, I don't want to be discouraged by shitty weather, etc...

What workarounds are there to cold weather and icy conditions? I guess I could always take the run inside on a treadmill at the gym, but unless there's "something nice" :wish: in front of me, there is no fun in running on a treadmill at the gym, IMO.

Looking for motivation and stuff. ;)

Eric

Schizm 10-10-2006 02:09 PM

granted I'm from Florida so I know very little of the cold. But are there any good cross country skiing trails near your house? That's insane cardio and you're not stationary.

curls 10-10-2006 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Schizm
granted I'm from Florida so I know very little of the cold. But are there any good cross country skiing trails near your house? That's insane cardio and you're not stationary.

You know nothing of the cold. ;)

But yeah, there are trails near my house, etc... but that's some $$ I don't want to spend right now. I'd rather take that $$ and put it towards a gym membership. I personally dont like the cold much anyhow. LOL.

Whiskers 10-10-2006 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by curls
I know this thread is quite old, but I was reading through it and have a question:

How hard would it be to get started with a morning jog (then run once I'm good at it), when the weather is getting cooler and cooler? It's down around 40*F here in the mornings now (even cooler on a few mornings already), and in a few months time it will be snowy and icy. Not fun to run in, I'd assume.

My plan, along with good eating habits (not a diet, just eat healthy and less than I have been), is to get started with jogging in the morning before my morning shower. However, I don't want to be discouraged by shitty weather, etc...

What workarounds are there to cold weather and icy conditions? I guess I could always take the run inside on a treadmill at the gym, but unless there's "something nice" :wish: in front of me, there is no fun in running on a treadmill at the gym, IMO.

Looking for motivation and stuff. ;)

Eric

I would invest in a ellipical machine for home...

dom 10-10-2006 03:17 PM

I would invest in a ellipical machine for home...

How much better is an ellipical over a stationary bike?

I'm now using a bike. If I can keep at it I'm thinking of investing in an ellipical, good move?

Also, the only time I can find time to exercise is after 9PM when my son goes down. Is exercising at that hour ok?

Whiskers 10-10-2006 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by dom
How much better is an ellipical over a stationary bike?

I'm now using a bike. If I can keep at it I'm thinking of investing in an ellipical, good move?

Also, the only time I can find time to exercise is after 9PM when my son goes down. Is exercising at that hour ok?

I find that an ellipical gives you a better exercise since you can use your hands...Also, you can control the resistance better IMO....

9PM is fine. What I would do is eat a healthy dinner around 7PM and then do the workout.