Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

Whey too much gas!

Old 05-09-2014, 09:52 AM
Drifting

Received 554 Likes on 387 Posts
Whey too much gas!

I'm not really into supplements but I do drink whey protein shakes regularly. I'm not exactly ready to eat a chicken breast at 6am when I'm leaving the gym!

I recently switched from Optimum Nutrition to Whey Tech Pro 24 since Vitamin Shoppe had a buy one get one half off sale on the latter (ended up getting 10 lbs for $75). The taste is fine but all I can say is holy shit! I have had the worst gas of my entire life ever since the switch. I'm talking the hot, sulfur type farts that linger for several minutes. I try to hold them in on occasion but that's even worse than dealing with the smell and humiliation of being "that guy" at work and in the gym.

A couple days ago I bought a lactase enzyme from GNC and so far it seems to be doing the trick. I tried one pill with the first shake after purchase but it wasn't enough so I went to two pills and it seems to be working! I've never had any issues with dairy or any other whey protein so I know it's not a lactose intolerance...just something about the blend of the Whey Tech. I'd get the occasional farts from the ON but it didn't compare to what I was experiencing from the cheaper, Vitamin Shoppe brand.

Just wanted to throw this out there to any of you experiencing this from your whey protein. I know you can have an appeciation for your own flavor of flatulence and trust me, the ones I've had lately could win awards...but for the sake of those around you get some lactase enzyme!
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (05-09-2014)
Old 05-09-2014, 10:02 AM
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
I would like to start something like that but i just dont even know where to start!

How long have you been doing this?
Old 05-09-2014, 10:07 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by octoher12
I would like to start something like that but i just dont even know where to start!

the first place to start would be to start eating healthy, if you havent done so already.
I dont even supplement, as I get all my protein needs from real food.

I stopped supplementing because of the slight side effects; like gas, bloating, and over eating calories.

Last edited by justnspace; 05-09-2014 at 10:13 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by justnspace:
octoher12 (05-09-2014), ucf_bronco (05-09-2014)
Old 05-09-2014, 10:15 AM

keeping on topic, I didnt even know there was such a thing, an lactose enzyme. Glad it worked for you, UCF_bronco
Old 05-09-2014, 12:08 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by octoher12

I started working out almost 20 years ago. I've gone through phases where I didn't work out for close to a year...to working out 5-6 days a week. I currently get in 2-3 days a week and that's about the best I can do with my schedule. Hell I have to get up at 4:40am just to get those workouts in.

Do some research online to get a routine in mind, then tweak it to your liking. There's actually some decent information in this sub-forum. Unfortunately there isn't a "one size fits all" when it comes to working out so what works well for one may not work as well for another.

Just remember that everyone has to start somewhere, and should you decide to join a gym don't feel inferior being a beginner. Also, make sure you don't do any of these things while there

Originally Posted by justnspace
the first place to start would be to start eating healthy, if you havent done so already.
I dont even supplement, as I get all my protein needs from real food.

I stopped supplementing because of the slight side effects; like gas, bloating, and over eating calories.
Exactly! Your diet is so much more important than your workout routine.

I try to get the majority of my protein through food, but the protein shakes are just so convenient and help me get in that extra 30-60 grams of protein a day. I really look forward to my post gym shake too...milk (or almond or soy, alternating weeks), bananas, strawberries (or blueberries), steel cut oats (thanks justn!), peanut butter (or nutella) and protein powder.

keeping on topic, I didnt even know there was such a thing, an lactose enzyme. Glad it worked for you, UCF_bronco
Thanks man! So am I...and my wife...and my co-workers

I did some research online and found out about it from this article. I'd never heard of it either since I've never had an issue with lactose intolerance.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:43 PM
Safety Car

Received 214 Likes on 143 Posts
afaik the Vitamin Shoppe brand protein powder had something on the label saying something about a "lactase complex" or something... That could be what's causing the issue.

and yeah I can totally sympathize with what you're going through. I don't really do much supplementation these days, but when I used to, I got some serious digestive problems with a few choice brands. Optimum Nutrition Casein protein by far being the worst.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 89 Posts
Cool story BRO! Switch to muscle milk.
97BlackAckCL (05-12-2014)
Old 05-10-2014, 05:33 AM

^i heard they changed their ways, but before muscle milk was/is a sure fire way to get fat. nothing but sugars and fats
now, if they changed... good for them!
butt, brock, do you have to sound ignant all the time?
The following 2 users liked this post by justnspace:
octoher12 (05-10-2014), Rapture (05-11-2014)
Old 05-10-2014, 12:39 PM
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
At my gym we sell Stronger Faster Healthier proteins and fish oils. They're expensive but well worth every penny in my book.

All your GNC and bix box proteins are loaded with tons of crap, fillers, etc. No point in eating clean and lifting hard then putting shit protein in your body.

http://www.sfh.com/
Old 05-11-2014, 06:19 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Brock79
Overpriced garbage, IMO. You can buy plain straight protein isolate for less than muscle milk. b-b-but it doesn't taste like double chocolate fudge caramel cinnamon roll cookie dough!
65 Fury Convert (05-12-2014)
Old 05-11-2014, 10:02 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
I've been using and continue to use Isopure. I've found it to be the best. Most of the other taste like crap to me. Optimum Nutrition tasted good, but I haven't used it over a decade. Isopure also makes a "natural" version without fake sweeteners.

It also does not give me protein farts. And I am lactose intolerant with pure milk.

My shakes are rice milk, almond butter (or peanut butter), a banana and one or two scoops of protein (2 scoops being a full serving size of 48g of protein) Sometimes I add strawberries if we have some in the fridge.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:55 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,408 Likes on 3,020 Posts
Old 05-13-2014, 01:17 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rapture
afaik the Vitamin Shoppe brand protein powder had something on the label saying something about a "lactase complex" or something... That could be what's causing the issue.
After reading this I looked closer at the label and it says it actually has something in it that's supposed to help with the digestion...guess they're doing it wrong

Originally Posted by Brock79
Yeah, no thanks. See Justn's and Rapture's comments for my thoughts on Muscle Milk.

butt, brock, do you have to sound ignant all the time?

Originally Posted by Devil Dog 21
At my gym we sell Stronger Faster Healthier proteins and fish oils. They're expensive but well worth every penny in my book.

All your GNC and bix box proteins are loaded with tons of crap, fillers, etc. No point in eating clean and lifting hard then putting shit protein in your body.

http://www.sfh.com/
I know I should fork over more dough and buy a better protein (or even an organic one) but I'll stick with my crap protein for now, haha. It's served me well for many years.

Overpriced garbage, IMO. You can buy plain straight protein isolate for less than muscle milk. b-b-but it doesn't taste like double chocolate fudge caramel cinnamon roll cookie dough!
LOL, well said! I don't worry too much about the taste of my protein since I add a lot of other ingredients to my shakes.

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
I've been using and continue to use Isopure. I've found it to be the best. Most of the other taste like crap to me. Optimum Nutrition tasted good, but I haven't used it over a decade. Isopure also makes a "natural" version without fake sweeteners.
I've heard of Isopure but never tried it. I was always an ON junkie but switched to save a little dough (and since the protein profile of the Whey Tech is almost identical to ON).
Old 05-14-2014, 11:59 AM
My first ricer

Received 256 Likes on 211 Posts
No issues with ON Gold Standard Natural here.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:55 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
when i was working out i would drink raw egg milkshakes
Old 05-14-2014, 01:35 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 350
No issues with ON Gold Standard Natural here.
Same here, but then I switched...I guess I got what I deserve for trying to save a buck.

Originally Posted by the_tl_man09
when i was working out i would drink raw egg milkshakes
Haha, my brother used to do that in high school (late 80's). He made me try one once and I almost puked. He wouldn't blend them, just choke down the whole raw eggs in a glass of milk. It was disgusting.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:38 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
Originally Posted by ucf_bronco
LOL, well said! I don't worry too much about the taste of my protein since I add a lot of other ingredients to my shakes.

I've heard of Isopure but never tried it. I was always an ON junkie but switched to save a little dough (and since the protein profile of the Whey Tech is almost identical to ON).
Isopure is solid for the price and tastes good.

I care about the taste even though I add other stuff because those artificial sweeteners they use in most of them can really add a nasty flavor and bad aftertaste.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:39 PM

lol, lets count the macros in the raw egg and milk...
i bet the shakes are better!!!
Old 05-14-2014, 03:38 PM
My first ricer

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
Isopure is solid for the price and tastes good.

I care about the taste even though I add other stuff because those artificial sweeteners they use in most of them can really add a nasty flavor and bad aftertaste.
I think ON makes one that is aspertame/whatever fake one, and one that is with stevia that they label natural, obviously not sugar but not fake, doesn't taste as good as a milkshake but less offensive/no lingering fake sweetness.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:57 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
lol, lets count the macros in the raw egg and milk...
i bet the shakes are better!!!
it was actually magically delicious
Old 05-15-2014, 12:54 PM
Race Director

Received 3,824 Likes on 2,847 Posts
Been using Optimum Gold Standard 100% Whey since around December...never had the "protein farts" from it.

However, I decided to try the Cookies & Creme flavor. Big mistake Should have stuck with Milk Chocolate.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:43 PM
My first ricer

Originally Posted by Undying Dreams
Been using Optimum Gold Standard 100% Whey since around December...never had the "protein farts" from it.

However, I decided to try the Cookies & Creme flavor. Big mistake Should have stuck with Milk Chocolate.
I think I have milk chocolate now, it doesn't taste bad but the chocolate flavor is really weak, I was thinking of getting vanilla next so if it's plain tasting at least it's not a tease for chocolate milk.

Any input on ON flavors?
Old 05-15-2014, 06:03 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Everyone who has tried ON said it's good. I personally use the ON Natural, which has less sweeteners, and none which are artificial. When I went to almond milk my shakes became more bland, but I farted a lot less.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:37 PM
Safety Car

Yeah I wasn't a fan of Cookies & Cream ON. It had natural sugars AND artificial sweeteners. You could taste the sugar overload even when mixed with water.

I'd stick with Isopure if it wasn't so expensive. I only buy it when I can get a discount of some type.

Anyone ever tried any of this stuff?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10lb-Pure-Whey-Protein-Isolate-Bulk-Food-Direct-10-lb-/260888827817?pt=US_Dietary_Supplements_Nutrition&hash=item3cbe2f97a9
I almost always mix my protein shakes with fruit, peanut butter and ground up almonds, so flavors are negligible to me. Was hoping this would be a good alternative

edit: Wow, have ebay links always done that?
Old 05-16-2014, 08:19 AM
Race Director

Ohh speaking of this...I mix mine with water.

It doesn't taste as good but my face was breaking out and looking worse when I was using milk.

350, I thought the chocolate mixed with milk tasted exactly like a chocolate milk. Almost like having dessert when I got home from the gym.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:34 AM
My first ricer

It doesn't taste as good but my face was breaking out and looking worse when I was using milk.

350, I thought the chocolate mixed with milk tasted exactly like a chocolate milk. Almost like having dessert when I got home from the gym.
Is that the gold standard with a red label or gold? I noticed the red one with artificial sweeteners has a few more options than the gold one with stevia, maybe the flavor is better on the other ones. Mine just says chocolate and is very bland. I mix it a little thinner with water and a little creatine in it, I just chug it down so it's no big deal. Also fine with milk but I'm trying to keep the calories down for now.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:42 AM
Drifting

I almost always mix my protein shakes with fruit, peanut butter and ground up almonds, so flavors are negligible to me.
^^^ This!

Other than my recent purchase where I bought one and got half off another (one vanilla and one chocolate), I have always bought plain vanilla.

If I wasn't mixing with anything else and I wanted a chocolate shake I'd mix it with chocolate syrup (sugar free if needed) or a strawberry syrup. You can play around with vanilla enough to keep from getting tired of the taste.

Have you tried soy or almond milk? I find them to be good alternatives to regular milk. Since I tend to drink a couple per day I switch up what I'm mixing them with just so I'm not overdoing it with any of the above. I can't mix with just water though...
Old 05-17-2014, 09:00 AM
Race Director

350, this one:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html