Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

What's the best way to use a treadmill?

Old 01-29-2006, 07:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
What's the best way to use a treadmill?

Any suggested times on the machine you think is good?

Optimum/average Speed for walking or jogging?

Manual or programmed use on it?

Short or long steps?

How do you breathe while jogging?

Any advice on how to be consistent in jogging so I don't feel that shooting pain in my gut after 5 minutes?

I usually take deep breaths in and out, but it only helps me for so long before having to slow down....

For instance, I went on today for about 2 1/2 mins of walking at 4 mph, then jogged at 5.5 mph for about 3 mins, then walked again at 3.5mph to cool down for a minute or so. That's just to warm up before lifting. After lifting, I went back on and ran a programmed cycle that adjusted the speed between 4-5.5 mph with some resistance of hill ascent. Total time was 30 mins, and I did a little over 2 miles total. I didn't run for a long time, really only for a few minutes at a time. I also take it easy a little bit due to 3 knee surgeries. No pain, but I try to be careful.

<-----
Old 01-29-2006, 07:45 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,236 Likes on 825 Posts
What model do you have? I have a Nordictrac and I use the programs that come with it. At the gym, I do a manual track on the elipicals.

I don't think there is a best way. My advice is to start out with a level that is comfortable for you and then plan to increase speed and level every week.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:51 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Depends on what baseline of fitness you are starting from.

I don't think there is a wrong way to use a treadmill, just don't overtax yourself and don't lean on the bars.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:24 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Variety is best. A day of moderate steady state such as walking on a high incline, a day of running/walking intervals, and another day of your choice is great. I wouldn't do more than 3 days of cardio per week to start...
Old 01-30-2006, 12:35 AM
The Third Ball

Received 5,079 Likes on 2,696 Posts
Are you going for endurance or fat loss?

Thats the difference right there.

But when I got into cardio...after never doing it. I started off doing interval training. 1 min at pace, 1 min slow...for 20 minutes. next week 2 min pace, 1 min slow...etc

Pretty quick I was going 3.7 miles in 30minutes at pace. But this was an ellipicalt...on manual.
Old 01-30-2006, 05:12 AM
USTHS76

Originally Posted by Shoofin

Short or long steps?

Any advice on how to be consistent in jogging so I don't feel that shooting pain in my gut after 5 minutes?

I usually take deep breaths in and out, but it only helps me for so long before having to slow down....

For instance, I went on today for about 2 1/2 mins of walking at 4 mph, then jogged at 5.5 mph for about 3 mins, then walked again at 3.5mph to cool down for a minute or so. That's just to warm up before lifting. After lifting, I went back on and ran a programmed cycle that adjusted the speed between 4-5.5 mph with some resistance of hill ascent. Total time was 30 mins, and I did a little over 2 miles total. I didn't run for a long time, really only for a few minutes at a time. I also take it easy a little bit due to 3 knee surgeries. No pain, but I try to be careful.

<-----
When running or walking, set the incline between 1-2%. This simulates outside conditions. The speed is up to you, whatever's comfortable for you. I do all my speed intevals and hill runs on the TM. I use the programs so I don't have to worry about changing speed or incline. Take shorter steps when on an incline. Breathing - that's been debated quite a bit. For me, inhale nose/exhale mouth. This works for me specially when I'm running outside in the cold. If you can't catch your breath, slow down. Goodluck on your workout!
Old 01-30-2006, 05:32 PM
My Work is Done Here

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Higher intensity for shorter times is better, adjust times according to your goals.... lower intensity for endurance, higher intensity for fat loss.

Typically good to measure based on you mile pace. For running, a good pace to shoot for is 8 minutes per mile, which IIRC is about 7.5mph.

This depends on the model. I always use the manual and adjust the setting as I go. The only treadmill that I've ever used that I was comfortable with using the programed mode was a stairmaster treadmill, and that's only because it let you customize a program, instead of having only preset programs. (note: this treadmill was probably very expensive) then again, I'm a control freak.

Short or long steps?
shorter strides are more efficient, and better for your joints and shins, but you can vary this based on your goals.

There are a lot of theories. If you can, breathe with your stomach, it helps prevent cramps. But a lot of people can't do this.

A new study suggests that you should consciously switch your breathing pattern. For example, you should eventually develop a breathing pattern where you breathe out every fourth step (or third, or fifth... it doesn't matter, it will happen naturally). The thing is that most people will always breathe out when they plant the same foot. I always breathe out when I plant my left foot, never on my right foot. But it helps if I consciously try to alter my breathing pattern where I breathe out when I plant my right foot sometimes. sounds odd, but it works.

These are little tricks to use, but really just breath naturally, don't hyperventilate, and you should be fine as long as your breathing. The simplest rule to follow is, the more oxygen the better.

<-----
Drink more water. If you're getting cramps, it's because your muscles are dehydrated, or because they're not getting enough oxygen, both are caused by a lack of water in your blood/body. Drink more water! Do it all day!
Old 02-01-2006, 09:14 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The best way to use a treadmile is...to not use it.

Thank you very much

(I am mostly not kidding with the above)
Old 02-02-2006, 01:48 AM
Go Noles!

don't be afraid to use the incline... it's good for your butt when you run. i usually run 1-2 miles w/ incline @ 1.5, then walk for 5 mins w/ incline at 2.0-2.5. then i go on to do my regular workout.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:53 AM
Go Noles!

btw, use good posture when you run. don't slouch.. your lungs go all the way up to under your collar bones. a good way to tell if your back is straight is to put your arms up over your head as if you were going to touch the ceiling, then bring them back down laterally... that way you are using the maximum capacity of your lungs. make a conscious effort to pay attention to your body posture the whole time you're running. eventually it will just be 2nd nature.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:49 AM
yeah i'm bored.

what's the major difference between a treadmill and eliptical?

i just started getting back on the treadmill, i'm doing decently, but my ankles start to hurt before anything else. i feel this is holding me back. as the weeks go by i feel that i can last longer, but will an eliptical eliminate this issue since it is zero impact?

never tried one before, and i work out at home so i can't really try one out for an extended period of time anywere to test it.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:53 AM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by agean
what's the major difference between a treadmill and eliptical?

i just started getting back on the treadmill, i'm doing decently, but my ankles start to hurt before anything else. i feel this is holding me back. as the weeks go by i feel that i can last longer, but will an eliptical eliminate this issue since it is zero impact?

never tried one before, and i work out at home so i can't really try one out for an extended period of time anywere to test it.
An elipical is non-impact. It also is resistant configurable.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:06 AM
yeah i'm bored.

Originally Posted by Whiskers
An elipical is non-impact. It also is resistant configurable.
do you feel it's a better / worse workout at all?
Old 02-02-2006, 09:10 AM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by agean
do you feel it's a better / worse workout at all?
I will always pick an elipical over a treadmill if available.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:53 AM
yeah i'm bored.

interesting... i'll need to check out some prices.

right now i'm working with a 10 year old or so treadmill, it was fairly decent when new. i'm sure by now it's completely outdated.

time for a sports authority trip...
Old 02-05-2006, 09:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
I can never seem to get comfortable on an elliptical, it's such an un-natural motion.

One thing I did do to improve my treadmill usage is switching my cross trainer sneakers for running sneakers. Made a big difference!
Old 02-06-2006, 01:28 AM
The Third Ball

Received 5,079 Likes on 2,696 Posts
I can never seem to get comfortable on an elliptical, it's such an un-natural motion.

One thing I did do to improve my treadmill usage is switching my cross trainer sneakers for running sneakers. Made a big difference!
It depends on the make/model.

There are some ellipticals I downright hate. I wont get on them. They have to short a motion...or too odd a motion.

I prefer the LifeFitness, I think its model is 9400...And on top of that they have them with different handles...which I get finicky about...I like the shorter smaller handles...for whatever reason it makes a huge difference in the overall feel of the machine.