Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

Weightlifters

Old 07-17-2005, 10:42 AM
EnJ
Anti-Acura TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weightlifters

This is geared more towards the weightlifters, but anyone can reply.
So, I've been lifting for about a month and a half and I've noticed I'm getting much stronger, and I've gained around 10lbs. I'm happy with that, but I'm a long way off from my goal. Anyway, I read somewhere that it's good to lift heavy for about two months, then take a two week break from lifting heavy. During those two weeks it's good to lift medium weights/higher reps, and do cardio. After the two weeks is over, get back into lifting for another two months and so on. I guess it's supposed to give your muscles a break, allow you to cut what you've gained for better definition, and break up the monotony of lifting all the time so you don't get burnt out. Anyone do this? I was thinking of giving it a try.
Does anyone just lift all the time with no real break? Don't you get bored of it because it's almost like a chore? I'm just wondering what other people do to stay interested, keep up their gains, and add definition.

Last edited by EnJ; 07-17-2005 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:04 PM
Race Director

Yea its very common to take a break after 8 weeks for a week. More so, to let your immunse system catch up, and let your muscles rest.

I always do cardio, as long as lifting, and although at times the whole routine does bore me, i rotate my splits, and exercises, to keep things different and interesting.

In regards to adding definition, i just eat healthy, do cardio, and lift weights. Its all about seeing what works best in regards to your body, so take it as a time to expierement with what gives you the best results.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:09 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by RMATIC09
Yea its very common to take a break after 8 weeks for a week. More so, to let your immunse system catch up, and let your muscles rest.

I always do cardio, as long as lifting, and although at times the whole routine does bore me, i rotate my splits, and exercises, to keep things different and interesting.

In regards to adding definition, i just eat healthy, do cardio, and lift weights. Its all about seeing what works best in regards to your body, so take it as a time to expierement with what gives you the best results.
i do the same, i have a routine i will dofor 8 weeks, take a week of then change up the routine
Old 07-29-2005, 09:57 AM
Advanced

Yeah, I read about that and then actually did it. I live in San Diego but my wife and daughter are in Chicago. I went home and took a solid 8 days off just light calistenics. I came back to the gym and all my aches and pains had gone away and I was about 10% stronger all around. So I would say it works for me.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Your muscles grow while resting so it's a good idea. Also change up your routine every 8 weeks if you want maximum growth. 10 lbs is a great start. As for heavy / medium though, I'd stick to still lifting in the heavy and slow side. Try doing lifts very slow (3-4 sec down, 3-4 sec up). That will make you use lower weights but give you a great workout set.