Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

Weight Loss and Society

Old 06-20-2005, 01:42 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,236 Likes on 825 Posts
Weight Loss and Society

Not sure if this belongs here or not....

As some of you know, I have lost 65 LBS since 1/1/05. I have noticed that people (especially co-workers) have been a lot nicer to me since I lost the weight. I once saw a Dateline where they did an experiment where they took two people with the same experience / background and had them go on a job interview. One was in good shape, one was overweight. On all tests, the fit person got the job.

I guess the point is that people suck....
Old 06-20-2005, 01:49 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by wsklar

As some of you know, I have lost 65 LBS since 1/1/05. I have noticed that people (especially co-workers) have been a lot nicer to me since I lost the weight. I once saw a Dateline where they did an experiment where they took two people with the same experience / background and had them go on a job interview. One was in good shape, one was overweight. On all tests, the fit person got the job.

It's not just our society. It's every society. Human brains inherently react favourably when it comes to more attractive people. Notice how in grade school, nobody wants to be friends with the fat kid, even if he's funny and intelligent and a good person? Attractive people also tend to cluster together. A lot of times they will also have attractive friends too, or at least not fugly ones. It sucks for those of us who aren't hot, but that's the way it is...
Old 06-20-2005, 02:34 PM
Outnumbered at home

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by youngTL
It's not just our society. It's every society. Human brains inherently react favourably when it comes to more attractive people. Notice how in grade school, nobody wants to be friends with the fat kid, even if he's funny and intelligent and a good person? Attractive people also tend to cluster together. A lot of times they will also have attractive friends too, or at least not fugly ones. It sucks for those of us who aren't hot, but that's the way it is...

Of course what society thinks is attractive is just as important.

please go back to the early 20th century way of thinking that meat on the bones = attractive.

except for women they need to be in perfect barbie doll shape
Old 06-20-2005, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by 95gt
Of course what society thinks is attractive is just as important.

please go back to the early 20th century way of thinking that meat on the bones = attractive.

except for women they need to be in perfect barbie doll shape
Even in the '50's that was the norm of attractiveness for women. Look at Marilyn Monroe. She wasn't a skinny girl, but she was considered one of the best looking women of her time.

For men it's the other way around. You need to be at least semi-beefy to get any attention. Fat guys and skinny guys don't get as much looks. Which is why it sucks to look like you've starved for 3 months (like how I look) and it sucks to be obese (like how a lot of north americans look).
Old 06-20-2005, 02:52 PM
Go Giants

Why does Tony Saprono get girls wet?
Old 06-20-2005, 02:55 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Why does Tony Saprono get girls wet?

$$$$$$$$$$$ + power

EDIT: + he's Italian
Old 06-20-2005, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by dom
$$$$$$$$$$$ + power

EDIT: + he's Italian
for Italians!

<------is 50% one.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:09 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
for Italians!

<------is 50% one.
I thought you were ? Or are you half?
Old 06-20-2005, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by dom
I thought you were ? Or are you half?
No, I'm half Italian and the other half is like some weird Eastern European mix.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:21 PM
Crabcakes and Football!!!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Even in the '50's that was the norm of attractiveness for women. Look at Marilyn Monroe. She wasn't a skinny girl, but she was considered one of the best looking women of her time.
She was a size 14. Which is the currently the average size for an American woman.

.... Fat guys and skinny guys don't get as much looks.
I dig some chunk Ultraskinny though, not attracted
Old 06-20-2005, 08:47 PM
Suzuka Master

I've been told I have a nice car, but I am too skinny, and I agree. I was definately skinnier then, now I am still too skinny, but don't like I was starved.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:52 PM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by anothercls
I've been told I have a nice car, but I am too skinny, and I agree. I was definately skinnier then, now I am still too skinny, but don't like I was starved.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:13 PM

By the way, you made some insane accomplishments doing that. I bet you feel 10 times better about yourself and have more energy on a daily basis. So there's no way you can go wrong getting in shape. IMO a HUGE (ironic ) improvement over before.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:04 AM
Go Giants

By the way, you made some insane accomplishments doing that. I bet you feel 10 times better about yourself and have more energy on a daily basis. So there's no way you can go wrong getting in shape. IMO a HUGE (ironic ) improvement over before.
Thanks, I feel a lot different. Lots of energy, I get nice looks from cute girls . I have a doctors appointment next week for a physical. I have avoided going to my doctor for years because he always commented on me being overweight. Now I want him to concentrate on my other issues. I get a lot of headaches and would like to know why.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:27 AM
likes it raw

Now I want him to concentrate on my other issues. I get a lot of headaches and would like to know why.
Aren't you married?
Old 06-21-2005, 12:16 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
it's not fair, but it's reality.

maybe another factor is that, since you have lost weight, you feel a lot more confident about yourself, and as a result, your attitude rubs onto your co-workers.

health is holistic. it's all related. from what you eat, to your physical looks, outlook on life, relationships, etc.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:23 PM
Banned

I think this is just imbedded in our genes. In the wild, the strongest, best looking, etc are the ones that reproduce and lead the group. This is definitely not surprising, just nature in action. Crowds don't form around the pretty, in-shape girls at parties for no reason.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:42 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Adam_Schwartz
I think this is just imbedded in our genes. In the wild, the strongest, best looking, etc are the ones that reproduce and lead the group. This is definitely not surprising, just nature in action. Crowds don't form around the pretty, in-shape girls at parties for no reason.
true...

instincts for both men and women.

men want to reproduce by spreading their seeds. women wish to bear children, and will choose men with the strongest traits/characteristics.

seen in the animal kingdom.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:58 PM
Banned

One of the more interesting non-major classes I took in undergrad was social psychology. We studied, among other things, the difference in how men and women act with regard to reproduction from the basic theory of what is imbedded in our genes - males would prefer to reproduce with as many females as possible and females would prefer to reproduce with just one male. Of course this is not how things work, but in most animal populations this is the norm.

Anyway, this gives me more incentive to be in shape and keep up my appearances. It sounds bad, but I am more likely to get ahead if I also have physical attributes that are better than the next person. I am not trying to sound egotistical, just saying that I have to be aware of how people act on a basic level and use that to my advantage.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:13 PM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by JimmyCarter
Aren't you married?
Good work.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:11 PM
Homeless

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by afici0nad0
true...

instincts for both men and women.

men want to reproduce by spreading their seeds. women wish to bear children, and will choose men with the strongest traits/characteristics.

seen in the animal kingdom.
Men also go after(subconsciously/instinctively) the women most suited for child-bearing...ie: women with a curvy/shapely figure...

I know that is true in my case.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:12 PM
Homeless

Thanks, I feel a lot different. Lots of energy, I get nice looks from cute girls .
That's the best part of losing weight...and the feeling sticks with you/motivates you.

It's just getting to that point where you've made some noticeable losses...that's the tough part.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:26 PM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wsklar, congrats on the weight loss. that is fantastic.

Yeah it sucks but what can you do. I think in general people look at obese or overweight people as lazy/lathargic (sp?) or weak. the way people are treating you probably also reflects on your confidence level. you may think nothing has changed but I bet you feel better now that you've lost weight...people will notice this.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:55 PM
Go Noles!

i think in a way it also stems to how much you take pride in yourself and your appearance. someone may not be the prettiest person, but if he/she dresses well, looks professional, and is well-groomed, they also have the advantage. conversely, if a good-looking person wears sweat pants and doesn't brush their hair and teeth all day, they're not going to be so good-looking anymore. i think people also associate being overweight with being lazy.

when it comes to companies and jobs, etc, everyone wants to put their best face forward, and that means hiring good-looking, able-bodied yet competant people. we all know pretty faces sell products.

my theory is: if you don't care about how you look, you probably don't care about a lot of other things too.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:15 PM
Go Giants

When I lost 30 LBS I went out and bought new clothes. I then had to buy some when I lost 50 LBS. Now nothing fits but I am waiting until I am done dieting. Point is that I feel better about myself and have been dressing differently since. I am now wearing button downs and nice slacks, where before I was wearing old polos and tees, sweats, etc. I can't wait to be done because I am going to go nuts at Macys.....

Originally Posted by supermegaglossy
i think in a way it also stems to how much you take pride in yourself and your appearance. someone may not be the prettiest person, but if he/she dresses well, looks professional, and is well-groomed, they also have the advantage. conversely, if a good-looking person wears sweat pants and doesn't brush their hair and teeth all day, they're not going to be so good-looking anymore. i think people also associate being overweight with being lazy.

when it comes to companies and jobs, etc, everyone wants to put their best face forward, and that means hiring good-looking, able-bodied yet competant people. we all know pretty faces sell products.

my theory is: if you don't care about how you look, you probably don't care about a lot of other things too.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:16 PM
Go Giants

You don't have much to loose. Plus, you get to hit on the girls...I can just look

Originally Posted by chef chris
That's the best part of losing weight...and the feeling sticks with you/motivates you.

It's just getting to that point where you've made some noticeable losses...that's the tough part.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:22 PM
ric
Safety Car

Congratulations, man. Losing that amount of weight is impressive, and I am sure it's been a challenge. And yep, society's attitude sucks; the studies do establish that handsome men and beautiful women have more "successfull" lives, in a variety of ways; some remnant of Darwinism, I suppose.

Don't let that stand in the way of your enjoyment of your new-found body, and treating yourself to clothing that you would not have worn last year is part of the deal. Risk it, have fun with it.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:32 PM
Go Giants

Thanks and it is a challenge. This forum helped in a lot of ways.

Originally Posted by ric
Congratulations, man. Losing that amount of weight is impressive, and I am sure it's been a challenge. And yep, society's attitude sucks; the studies do establish that handsome men and beautiful women have more "successfull" lives, in a variety of ways; some remnant of Darwinism, I suppose.

Don't let that stand in the way of your enjoyment of your new-found body, and treating yourself to clothing that you would not have worn last year is part of the deal. Risk it, have fun with it.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:27 PM
Homeless

You don't have much to loose. Plus, you get to hit on the girls...I can just look
Yeah, but every few pounds you lose...you set a lower goal...atleast I do.

Work in progress, work in progress...
Old 06-22-2005, 12:56 AM

Of course, eventually you have to stop and aim a bit higher again. Usually for guys that were a little chunky, they start losing the fat first, then start building up a bit of muscle. Muscle keeps the fat away by burning calories (energy) while you do absolutely nothing. Sounds like a good deal to me.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:43 AM

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,991 Posts
Originally Posted by Michiraces2much
I dig some chunk
too bad i have too much chunk

time to make myself suffer with trying to lose weight now
Old 06-22-2005, 08:51 AM
Go Giants

I made the mistake of setting a lower goal recently. Now, Im sort of stuck again and getting impatient because I need to buy new clothes and get my wedding ring resized.

Old 06-22-2005, 11:41 AM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I need to buy new clothes and get my wedding ring resized.
Good call because I waited too long before getting my ring resized and lost it!
Old 06-22-2005, 01:12 PM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by ferizzo
Good call because I waited too long before getting my ring resized and lost it!
Old 06-23-2005, 09:35 AM
Drifting

Men also go after(subconsciously/instinctively) the women most suited for child-bearing...ie: women with a curvy/shapely figure...

I know that is true in my case.
true...

how did i miss that part out...

gotta have the curves...
Old 06-23-2005, 05:47 PM
Crabcakes and Football!!!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by afici0nad0

gotta have the curves...
good to know! I know my roomates all prefer a girl with some junk compared to a stick figure.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:12 AM
Drifting

i never said it, but congrats, wsklar. i've been down that road and am going through it again (dislocated foot and gained 30 lbs ). i went from 190 to 150 then stayed around 160 for years. the injury plus countless pity pitchers led to the recent gain. i've gone down 20 again, but these last 10 are going to be a pain in the ass. oddly enough, this time around i appreciate the drop a lot more than the first time it happened.

anyway, back to topic. i also notice a lot of people treat you differently when you're thin or athletic. not surprising, but kind of disappointing. people suck.

btw, thanks for the reminder.
Old 06-24-2005, 06:44 AM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by sleeper
i never said it, but congrats, wsklar. i've been down that road and am going through it again (dislocated foot and gained 30 lbs ). i went from 190 to 150 then stayed around 160 for years. the injury plus countless pity pitchers led to the recent gain. i've gone down 20 again, but these last 10 are going to be a pain in the ass. oddly enough, this time around i appreciate the drop a lot more than the first time it happened.

anyway, back to topic. i also notice a lot of people treat you differently when you're thin or athletic. not surprising, but kind of disappointing. people suck.

Thanks. It feels good. I bought my first pair of 34 pants since high school and I am debating whether I should get more or wait...decisions, decisions...

Are you able to do things like a eliptical with your foot?
Old 06-24-2005, 11:48 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Michiraces2much
good to know! I know my roomates all prefer a girl with some junk compared to a stick figure.
true...

if i wanted flat, i'd date a particle board...

need curves and some meat for grip during those "workouts"

but the booty needs to be bangin'...
Old 06-24-2005, 11:51 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by sleeper

injuries suck...

i blew my achilles tendon 3 summers ago, then blew my patella tendon 2 summers ago on the same leg. both injuries were from bball.

i will never be the same. rehab is working, but it's a slow and painful process. luckily i didn't gain weight from inactivity. if anything, i lost weight from not being able to work out. my left leg looks retarded compared to my right leg...

Quick Reply: Weight Loss and Society