Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

We have any joggers in here?

Old 03-31-2005, 01:01 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SeCsTaC
Yep...those are the sneakers.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:05 AM
styling on you

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Awesome! They're pretty expensive though, I think I'll wait for one of those 30% off Foot Locker coupons
Old 03-31-2005, 01:07 AM
Banned

Does anyone own those new adidas shoes with the chip inside? Im thinking of picking up a pair.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:31 AM
Adventurist.

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts
How many marathons have you guys run? I've never trained on a treadmill, ask any seasoned marathoner how they train. If you suggest a treadmill, they will laugh at you. Sorry, but this is true.

Properly iced joints and stretches can prevent any injury. The key to any type of training is prep BEFORE training. Stupidity before training replaces itself with injury during training. I've logged thousands of miles running and have no problems with my joints (I receive a biannual physical and another before any major run [20K or more]).
Old 03-31-2005, 01:34 AM
Adventurist.

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by BEETROOT
1 degree incline on a treadmill is close to equal to running on even ground outside. the biggest difference between a treadmill and outside is on the treadmill you can get into a perfect rhythm for as long as you want. outside, you have to change pace, direction, stride length... all of that takes energy.
So what happens when you run in a REAL race with a 2 degree incline on the ground? You HAVE to change pace, direction, stride length, and breathing... yes, it all DOES take energy. Training outside prepares you for this...
Old 03-31-2005, 02:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by NiteQwill
How many marathons have you guys run? I've never trained on a treadmill, ask any seasoned marathoner how they train. If you suggest a treadmill, they will laugh at you. Sorry, but this is true.

Properly iced joints and stretches can prevent any injury. The key to any type of training is prep BEFORE training. Stupidity before training replaces itself with injury during training. I've logged thousands of miles running and have no problems with my joints (I receive a biannual physical and another before any major run [20K or more]).
this past one was my first, and i've already given my situation and reason for training. while i do agree that there is absolutely no substitute for running outdoors in as like conditions as possible, it is still infinitely better to run on the treadmill than to not run at all. would you not agree? the one thing the treadmill did accomplish for me was to get a feel for the type of pace i would be comfortable with and sustainable for long distance. did you run this past marathon, how did you do?
Old 03-31-2005, 06:08 AM
USTHS76

Originally Posted by SeCsTaC
http://www.footlocker.com/catalog/pr...port&sport=all

What running shoes do you guys have right now?
ASICS Gel GT-2100. In the past, I've also used the NIKE Air Structure Triax but I like the ASICS better. Both are good stability shoes.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:30 AM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
So what happens when you run in a REAL race with a 2 degree incline on the ground? You HAVE to change pace, direction, stride length, and breathing... yes, it all DOES take energy. Training outside prepares you for this...

I didn't say anything about racing. I was just comparing treadmills to running outside.

Personally, I don't run races. Never saw the point of paying someone to tell me where and when to run. I just run for the exercise anyway.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:31 AM
Yeehaw

Originally Posted by Xenogen
They suck...I discovered Nike Shox, and those are the most comfortable sneakers Ive ever owned. Ive been through 4-5 pairs already.

what suck? dr. sholls?
Old 03-31-2005, 06:52 AM
Interesting. Interesting.

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
the biggest difference between a treadmill and outside is on the treadmill you can get into a perfect rhythm for as long as you want. outside, you have to change pace, direction, stride length... all of that takes energy.
Another good point on exercising by BR. I totally agree with this. I think I read a scientific study years ago which stated that good distance runners can compensate for changes in outdoor terrain by varying their pace, gate, upper body motion, etc. to keep their heart rate generally constant. For them, running outside can be as easy as running on a treadmill.

I always run outside because (a) it's more challenging for me, and (b) it's more fun - treadmills are boring. I do run on pavement and, after 12 years of 4-6 miles a day, 5 days a week, I haven't developed any joint problems. I think I've been lucky so far. One day I'll probably give in and buy a treadmill. Or take up swimming .
Old 03-31-2005, 07:24 AM
likes it raw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

*Sigh* the kid just wants to get into running regularly, he's not concerned about marathon training yet.
And you still haven't supported your original claim of
It's a given fact that a cushioned treadmill causes less impact on your joints than a paved road. Are there other differences? Yes, but thats not what he asked about. It's not a perfect substitute for running outdoors but it can fill in the time when you can't get outside.

I'd rather run indoors on a treadmill all winter instead of running outside in 20 degree weather and coming down with pneumonia, regardless of what the hard-core marathoners might think of me.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:18 PM
Yeehaw

Originally Posted by wstevens
Another good point on exercising by BR. I totally agree with this. I think I read a scientific study years ago which stated that good distance runners can compensate for changes in outdoor terrain by varying their pace, gate, upper body motion, etc. to keep their heart rate generally constant. For them, running outside can be as easy as running on a treadmill.

I always run outside because (a) it's more challenging for me, and (b) it's more fun - treadmills are boring. I do run on pavement and, after 12 years of 4-6 miles a day, 5 days a week, I haven't developed any joint problems. I think I've been lucky so far. One day I'll probably give in and buy a treadmill. Or take up swimming .
Thanks...and I run outside too, for the same reasons. I usually only run inside when there are NBA or NFL games I don't want to miss, or when its 115+

Originally Posted by JimmyCarter

I'd rather run indoors on a treadmill all winter instead of running outside in 20 degree weather and coming down with pneumonia, regardless of what the hard-core marathoners might think of me.
, but the opposite for me... when its 117 outside running is a bit unpleasant.

Last edited by BEETROOT; 03-31-2005 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:00 PM
Yeehaw

Personally, I don't run races. Never saw the point of paying someone to tell me where and when to run. I just run for the exercise anyway.
<inserts foot in mouth>

A friend of mine called today and offered to sponsor me for the NYC marathon this year.

Old 03-31-2005, 07:05 PM
Suzuka Master

airfare and lodging included?
Old 03-31-2005, 07:36 PM
Advanced

Go buy the book Programmed to Run. The author came to my BUD/S class and gave us a running clinic, which helped me tremendously. I was the slowest runner in my class at the time. Ibecame the top runner 3 months later. I was 5'10 240 back then, running just sucked for me!
Old 03-31-2005, 08:03 PM
Yeehaw

Originally Posted by GTKrockeTT
airfare and lodging included?
I doubt airfare is, but I got back a few times a year anyway. And my buddy has a couple places in Manhattan.

Originally Posted by 01_CL-S_COUPE
I was 5'10 240 back then, running just sucked for me!
Damn, that must have been rough. I'm 5'10 200 now and I feel like I'm towing an RV when I run.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:56 PM
Advanced

yeah, but if your gonna be slow you better be hard.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:29 AM
I make Boom Boom in

I am starting this Sunday. A girl at work wanted me to be her running partner so I said sure. I need to get back in shape anyways. Plus the girls/women that run the trail where we are going to are hot! What sucks is I am more of a sprinter than a long distance runner so I'll probably be dead by the end of the run, but at least I'll die with a smile on my face and sportin' wood. Haha!