Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

Sweaty Palms?

Old 10-17-2010, 01:25 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,050 Posts
Sweaty Palms?

The only other place I could think of to put this was in Ramblings, but I'm actually looking for answers this time, haha.

I've been having a huge problem with sweaty palms for about two years now. It seems to be completely ramdom, but happens a lot when I'm holding things or have my hand on something for a long time. It's at its worst when I'm driving and holding the steering wheel. I sweat like no tomorrow, which is frustrating because my 7-year-old steering wheel is smoothed out, meaning my hands slip on it a lot while turning.

Even if I'm sitting in a waiting room with my hands together, they'll start sweating in under 30 seconds, and it doesn't until long after.

In fact it's happening right now as I type this Like I said, sometimes it's completely random. It is always frustrating though.

It's only the palms of my hands, too. I don't sweat anywhere else unless I'm nervous about something, which I think is normal.

Is there anything I can do on my own to limit this, or some cream or something I can take that you guys know of?

Probably unrelated, but I've also started getting a tingling feeling in my fingers, sort of like the feeling you get in your foot when you sit on your leg for too long, but not quite. This only happens occasionally when I'm on my laptop and am using the mouse pad a lot. It happened yesterday, and I feel like it's going to happen again every time I touch this pad.

Help?
Old 10-17-2010, 01:48 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
See a doc. It's a medical condition.

Hyperhidrosis.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:11 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 721 Likes on 521 Posts
Originally Posted by stogie1020
See a doc. It's a medical condition.

Hyperhidrosis.
I actually did some research on it myself like 5 years ago ... dunno why, think I just came across the name of it and was interested in it. But yea, stogie's got it right. I know there is some mini surgery they can do where they make incisions in the armpits and cut some chord thingy in your body to stop it. But there are some side effects for some people like no more sweaty palms, but instead your back sweats a lot etc..
Old 10-17-2010, 11:09 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Back sweats too, now that you mention it. It's only a problem during summer, but it sweats more than any other part of my body.

Thanks for the help guys. So minor surgery is the only way to fix it?
Old 10-17-2010, 11:39 PM
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Aman
Thanks for the help guys. So minor surgery is the only way to fix it?
Probably a bit easier, just have a friend take a meat cleaver and take 'em both off.

I've got the same issue, hence why my A/C vents in my car point directly to wear I hold the steering wheel since keeping my hands really cold seems to stop it.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:58 PM
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
There is an ointment called "Drysol". It is a very strong anti-perspirant that you get at pharmacies. Ask the pharmacist since from what I've found they keep it behind the counter.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:55 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,830 Likes on 6,580 Posts
I've had this my whole life and actually it's not as bad as it was when I was a child. It's kinda picked up recently though since my AC went out in the house and in my car twice. The constant heat makes it worse but I think it'll subside again in the future.

What's been said already is the samething I've heard. basically I don't sweat a lot in the rest of my body I just sweat a lot in my hands, feet, and sometimes taint/ass. my back and everywhere else not so much unless I'm getting a real good workout or the AC is broken in my car on a hot summer day. So they cut a nerve in your pits and then you just sweat more you used to in your back.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:24 AM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
i don't have this condition, but what about using some kind of powder?
Old 10-19-2010, 04:17 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by v|nsan|ty
There is an ointment called "Drysol". It is a very strong anti-perspirant that you get at pharmacies. Ask the pharmacist since from what I've found they keep it behind the counter.
I used this on my pits. It works extremely well. I used to be able to sweat through a hoodie in the pit area but now I hardly sweat at all. You could be sweating cause your nervous too, try to keep track of whats going on around you when it happens.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:15 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Well I sweat normally (If you could call it that) whenever I put on some nice clothes, I guess since my subconscious associates that with doing something significant, hence the nervousness.

But actually not paying attention or particularly keeping track is what helps. This way, I'm not fretting or being nervous about every little thing and I develop an "I don't care" attitude.

It's like getting high, only I'm not. Don't know how else to describe it.

As far as Drysol, my dermatologist gave me two samples a few months ago and they've been sitting in my centre console ever since Does it have a short expiry date?
Old 10-19-2010, 10:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 850 Likes on 673 Posts
Do you have to get a prescripton for Drysol or is it just "over the counter?"
Old 10-19-2010, 10:38 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

I think a previous poster said it's OTC
Old 10-19-2010, 11:20 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
As far as Drysol, my dermatologist gave me two samples a few months ago and they've been sitting in my centre console ever since Does it have a short expiry date?
I don't think so. I've been using the same bottle for over 2 years now. Not that I've checked for an expiry date

Originally Posted by rossv1
Do you have to get a prescription for Drysol or is it just "over the counter?"
In Canada it's OTC. My understanding from a friend with dual citizenship in the US is that it's unavailable there.

I think a previous poster said it's OTC
It's OTC but usually has to be requested from the pharmacist. I don't think ive ever seen it on the normal selves. No script required.

If you decided to give it a shot follow the directions closely. Itching sensation is quite normal for the first few hours. I find it's best to apply it when your really tired so you can pass out and sleep through the itchy part.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:34 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Instructions say take at bedtime and dermatologist said it might burn a little
Old 10-20-2010, 01:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts
Focal palmar hyperhidrosis. Often is emotionally or stress-induced. That pins and needles sensation you are describing are paresthesias, may be related to hyperhidrosis. Generalized hyperhidrosis is more worrisome and may represent an underlying neurologic or endocrine (hormonal) disorder. Transthoracic sympathectomy is the procedure where thoracic surgeons go through your axilla/armpit and transect the sympathetic nerves innerving your palms. Problem is a significant number of patients have excessive "compensatory" sweating elsewhere after the surgery, sometimes random places like the scalp or ass. Drysol is prescription in US, 20% aluminum chloride which should be applied at bedtime when your palms are dry so it has a chance to absorb. I believe it contains isopropyl alcohol which is why it may burn. There are systemic medications that alleviate hyperhidrosis such as glycopyrrolate or detrol but then you get other effects like cotton mouth, blurry vision and inability to pee from the anti-cholinergic effects. Botulinum toxin injections into the palms can provide up to 1 year of efficacy but is quite painful unless your surgeon does a nerve block and then your hands are paralyzed for 4-6 hours. Hope this helps.