Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

Started Atkins yesterday... story inside

Old 03-31-2005, 05:31 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Started Atkins yesterday... story inside

Well, i think ive gained close to 10 pounds this semester from being a lush (drinking beer, eating dominos, chinese, etc.) like any other college student. so i decided to take on a friend and both go atkins. we bought about $150 worth of meat and cheese yesterday.

SO IT HAS BEGUN

im stuck eating no vegetables and fruits for the first 3 days, so ive just been eating chicken and ground beef with hot sauce. i can snack with cheese. its actually not that bad. its the beer thats annoying, considering i drink all the time. i bought a bunch of bacardi (zero carb, zero sugar) and have been drinking it with decaffienated diet coke.

all in all, its not that bad, i think im gonna turn to just low carb, instead of zero carb. sometimes i know im going to want to eat a sub or drink a nice Apricot Wheat. as long as im really cutting down on snack foods, beer and NO fast food, im sure ill shed off these 10 pounds pretty quick.

any opinions or suggestions? have any of you tried this diet? any tips on good stuff im actually allowed to eat or drink?
Old 03-31-2005, 05:34 PM
Banned

I have tried this diet. It worked for me. I lost 25 pounds in two months. I was on for three months, but didn't lose any more weight. The induction period is the hardest, and finding meals to make was also a bitch. Here's a Web site that has some cool low-carb recipes:

http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/lowcarb-recipes.html
Old 03-31-2005, 05:35 PM
Suzuka Master

best of luck
Old 03-31-2005, 05:39 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,236 Likes on 825 Posts
I hear bad things about it. I have lost 35 lbs since Jan 1st, by low calories, low fat and by watching my carbs (but not cutting them out). Also exercise.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:39 PM
Banned

TLover, did you end up gaining it back afterwards? bc i hear this is usually the case. do you recommend that i be very strict with the carbs? in other words, if i just cut off all breads and snacks and whatnot, but allow myself to have little things like say, the occasional sandwich or breaded chicken, would that null the whole entire diet? if it just makes it so i dont lose weight as fast, but still lose weight, im fine with that.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:41 PM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaydef03
as long as im really cutting down on snack foods, beer and NO fast food, im sure ill shed off these 10 pounds pretty quick.
thats the important part.

any opinions or suggestions? have any of you tried this diet? any tips on good stuff im actually allowed to eat or drink?

my opinion....

yes, atkins works. its probably not the healthiest thing in the world, but you will lose weight, and fairly quickly. however, any diet that says eating apples and carrots is bad seems a little odd. I would recommend more of the 'south beach' diet approach... where you can eat whole grains and fruits and vegetables, you just cut out empty calories. don't eat anything processed, no junk food, no white rice, no white bread, minimal sugar, etc.

anyway good luck with the diet.

two staples of weight loss: burn more calories than you consume, and exercise.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:45 PM
Banned

TLover, did you end up gaining it back afterwards? bc i hear this is usually the case. do you recommend that i be very strict with the carbs? in other words, if i just cut off all breads and snacks and whatnot, but allow myself to have little things like say, the occasional sandwich or breaded chicken, would that null the whole entire diet? if it just makes it so i dont lose weight as fast, but still lose weight, im fine with that.
I gained a little back; I peaked at 180, I bottomed out at 158 pounds and I'm currently 165. I purchased a body-fat monitor to see whether I was actually losing fat.

I think the Atkins Diet works, but I don't recommend being on it forever. But I do agree with some of the concepts, such as:

People, in general, eat too many carbs. When one's sugar level drops, one thinks that s/he is hunger. So, basically, one gets stuck in a cycle of constantly craving carbs. Atkins definitely broke that cycle for me -- I have a huge sweet-tooth.

The crucial part is the first two weeks (the induction period). Atkins recommends less than 20g per day. I went with nearly zero. I dropped weight really fast. You'll know when it working because you'll have a metallic taste in your mouth and your pee will smell funny -- those are the ketones, which are a byproduct of burning fat, that are being expelled.

I liked Atkins because, one, I lost weight, and two, it changed how I eat. I eat carbs freely now, but my cravings for carbs is much, much lower now.

But exercise is the key. I cycle about 100 miles a week.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:48 PM
Banned

yea i go to the gym three times a week. i hope i can still powerlift considering im losing energy from carbs. i dont do too much cardio tho, so im going to start and do that.

i was thinking that due to the lack of energy, ill stop lifting and do ONLY cardio and atkins for a month. and if i lose enough weight, im going to turn to south beach and start lifting again... idk, well see...
Old 03-31-2005, 05:53 PM
Banned

100 miles a week... good for you! i heard about the "bad breath" syndrome. so far ive had zero carbs. except for last nite, i accidently had like 12 grams from ketchup. i didnt know. hehe....and 1 G from a pickle. lol, im obsessed w/ pickles, it was tempting, so i allowed myself one
Old 03-31-2005, 06:27 PM
Meat stick

Received 229 Likes on 97 Posts
look...atkins is dumb....
High fat and low carbs makes you lose weight, yes, but it also has far more serious consequences than the benefits of quick weight loss, such as..
1) Overworking liver and kidneys (there have been a few reports of hepatic/renal disease from long term atkins, but not many) I will look for the link, if I still have access to the database
2) High cholesterol levels - since you eat alot more saturated fat, your cholesterol goes up SIGNIFICANTLY (this is an overall raise)
3) Poor lipid profiles - Lack of different unsaturated fatty acids lowers good cholesterol (HDL) and increases bad and very bad cholesterol (LDL and VLDL), as well as higher triglycerides.

Best diet is an oldie and goodie - low calorie, nutrient dense meals and exercise. Cut out empty calories (soda) and alcohol.....
You lose weight by using more calories than you take in....you stay healthy by making sure the calories are full of good nutrients, not saturated fats..
Old 03-31-2005, 06:31 PM
The Acura Granddaddy

Funny, there are just as many people that experience a better HDL,LDL, and Lipid profile from going on Atkins. Just cause you can have a bacon double cheeseburger everyday and stay within the diet does not mean you should.

Also, I agree with an earlier statement about apples and carrots. When i did Atkins I did not stress about these "good" carbs after the first 2 weeks.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:34 PM
Duck Fuke!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just ate some choclate pudding
Old 03-31-2005, 06:39 PM
Meat stick

Originally Posted by LegendC
Funny, there are just as many people that experience a better HDL,LDL, and Lipid profile from going on Atkins. Just cause you can have a bacon double cheeseburger everyday and stay within the diet does not mean you should.

Also, I agree with an earlier statement about apples and carrots. When i did Atkins I did not stress about these "good" carbs after the first 2 weeks.
The people that are on a diet that experience better lipid profiles do not follow atkins.......Atkins, as I understand it, is strictly against any "good" carbs.......no one should not eat lots of whole wheat, diet or not. Those that get better blood profiles are actually following more my previously stated diet than atkins (less "bad" or refined carbs, more whole wheat, veggies,etc...)
Old 03-31-2005, 06:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JaredGMS
look...atkins is dumb....
High fat and low carbs makes you lose weight, yes, but it also has far more serious consequences than the benefits of quick weight loss, such as..
1) Overworking liver and kidneys (there have been a few reports of hepatic/renal disease from long term atkins, but not many) I will look for the link, if I still have access to the database
2) High cholesterol levels - since you eat alot more saturated fat, your cholesterol goes up SIGNIFICANTLY (this is an overall raise)
3) Poor lipid profiles - Lack of different unsaturated fatty acids lowers good cholesterol (HDL) and increases bad and very bad cholesterol (LDL and VLDL), as well as higher triglycerides.

Best diet is an oldie and goodie - low calorie, nutrient dense meals and exercise. Cut out empty calories (soda) and alcohol.....
You lose weight by using more calories than you take in....you stay healthy by making sure the calories are full of good nutrients, not saturated fats..
You are not familiar with Atkins. It's low carb but not necessarily high fat. People that eat bacon, steak and eggs every days aren't really following Atkins.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:04 PM
Meat stick

Originally Posted by TLover
You are not familiar with Atkins. It's low carb but not necessarily high fat. People that eat bacon, steak and eggs every days aren't really following Atkins.
I am familiar with how people use Atkins in reality.....for example, look at the OP....eating beef, chicken, and snacking on cheese is not healthy.

And this is not isolated....my wife, a nutritionist, says that probably 80% of people on Atkins use the information this way
Old 03-31-2005, 07:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JaredGMS
I am familiar with how people use Atkins in reality.....for example, look at the OP....eating beef, chicken, and snacking on cheese is not healthy.

And this is not isolated....my wife, a nutritionist, says that probably 80% of people on Atkins use the information this way
Well, then, that's the fault of the people, not the diet. They're taking the lone concept of eating no carbs and turning that into eating a pound of bacon, a steak, a block of cheese and pork rinds, and saying they're on Atkins, and they're not.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:17 PM
Meat stick

Well, then, that's the fault of the people, not the diet. They're taking the lone concept of eating no carbs and turning that into eating a pound of bacon, a steak, a block of cheese and pork rinds, and saying they're on Atkins, and they're not.
Or perhaps that the books regarding the diet do not do a good enough job educating its users regarding carbohydrates?
Old 03-31-2005, 07:20 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
[QUOTE=BEETROOT, any diet that says eating apples and carrots is bad seems a little odd. I would recommend more of the 'south beach' diet approach... where you can eat whole grains and fruits and vegetables, you just cut out empty calories. don't eat anything processed, no junk food, no white rice, no white bread, minimal sugar, etc.

.[/QUOTE]

and eat multiple times a day
Old 03-31-2005, 07:30 PM
Advanced

Good luck on your Atkins diet. What ever it takes, I always say. I tried it once, to cut up for the summer and I would have to agree it works, I stayed on it for about 7 months. I didn't need to but It became real easy. I had all the blood work done afterwards and my cholesterol was 158. When I first started the diet I was 5'10 208lbs at 13.5% bodyfat, When I was done I weighed 222lbs at 9%. I never looked so good. The only supplements I took were omega 3&6 fish oils, and centrum performance. Its now 2 years later and I just eat very clean,no fast food, try and stay away from hydrogenated foods) I weigh 218 and my bodyfat is 10%. I heard it only works once, So if your going to do this, Go all the way, get under your goal weight, You will gain a few back. CARDIO is the key. also when you get off the atkins find out what your basal metabolic rate is.(calories needed if you were to lay in your bed all day and do jack shit) What ever you choose I wish you the best of luck.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:36 PM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by 01_CL-S_COUPE
Good luck on your Atkins diet. What ever it takes, I always say. I tried it once, to cut up for the summer and I would have to agree it works, I stayed on it for about 7 months. I didn't need to but It became real easy. I had all the blood work done afterwards and my cholesterol was 158. When I first started the diet I was 5'10 208lbs at 13.5% bodyfat, When I was done I weighed 222lbs at 9%. I never looked so good. The only supplements I took were omega 3&6 fish oils, and centrum performance. Its now 2 years later and I just eat very clean,no fast food, try and stay away from hydrogenated foods) I weigh 218 and my bodyfat is 10%. I heard it only works once, So if your going to do this, Go all the way, get under your goal weight, You will gain a few back. CARDIO is the key. also when you get off the atkins find out what your basal metabolic rate is.(calories needed if you were to lay in your bed all day and do jack shit) What ever you choose I wish you the best of luck.
I understand the other benefits, but I don't understand how going from 208 LBS to 222 lbs is a successful diet.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wsklar
I understand the other benefits, but I don't understand how going from 208 LBS to 222 lbs is a successful diet.
Look at body-fat percentage.

208 pounds @ 13.5% fat = 28 pounds of fat
222 pounds @ 9% fat = less than 20 pounds of fat
Old 03-31-2005, 07:40 PM
Pit Stop?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wsklar

He lost 4% body fat, so it's muscle...........
Old 03-31-2005, 07:43 PM
Go Giants

Look at body-fat percentage.

208 pounds @ 13.5% fat = 28 pounds of fat
222 pounds @ 9% fat = less than 20 pounds of fat
I guess it's how you define "diet"

http://www.answers.com/topic/dieting
Old 03-31-2005, 07:44 PM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by Minch00
He lost 4% body fat, so it's muscle...........
I know - just to me "diet" = weigh loss. But whatever, I get it.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:44 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
I'd look into the south beach diet. It's a little different but it does a much better job at teaching you to eat better w/o throwing out all your favorite things.

I lost about 45 lbs in 3 or so months on it. Have put 10lbs back on since I stopped following it 5 months ago though. Am slowly getting back on my routine along w/ exercising
Old 03-31-2005, 07:46 PM
Banned

my dad has been on atkins for 2 years and lost about 70 pounds, and his chloresterol actually went down. but that is bc he had a HORRIBLE diet before.

right now im 6'1, 210. looking to get to 200. its not all fat though, i lift alot.

BTW i just got back from the gym, and after doing the first 9 sets of chest i was absolutely dead. ive never gotten so tired out so quickly. fucking atkins...
Old 03-31-2005, 07:49 PM
Banned

maybe thats bc i havent had any fruits or vegetables yet. (still in the first 3 day phase)
Old 03-31-2005, 09:05 PM
Instructor

You may also want to research diets for people with diabetes too, since diabetics watch their carbs, cause carbs are turned into sugar by the body.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:25 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
I've just started the South Beach; I lost five pounds last week, put it right back on falling off the wagon at Easter weekend meals, and have lost four of it again so far this week, with no intention to fall off. I'm only trying to lose about 15 pounds (205 down to 190).

South Beach is definitely easier than Atkins from what I've seen.

Mike
Old 03-31-2005, 10:10 PM
Banned

yea, i think im going to turn to that soon.... im drinking bacardi and coke right now... and its disgusting. i miss my jack.. <tear>
Old 03-31-2005, 10:18 PM
Meat stick

yea, i think im going to turn to that soon.... im drinking bacardi and coke right now... and its disgusting. i miss my jack.. <tear>
also remember that alcohol has as much calorie content as fat....
Old 03-31-2005, 10:22 PM
Banned

well aware. at least bacardi has zero carb and sugar. it has some calories, but i mean, cmon, its thursday... biggest bar night of the week
Old 03-31-2005, 10:26 PM
Meat stick

well aware. at least bacardi has zero carb and sugar. it has some calories, but i mean, cmon, its thursday... biggest bar night of the week
just putting forth info, man....

I can't do bacardi and diet coke
Old 07-06-2005, 11:04 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,314 Likes on 967 Posts
Sorry to revive the dead but I just got on this thing because my wife needs help. I fucking hate it but whatever it takes. It sounds like I'll lose energy since I'll have no carbs for 2 weeks. Any other tips/advice you guys can give?
Old 07-06-2005, 11:19 AM
Banned

when you start having veggies, stay away from corn and carrots. i didnt know this and accidentaly had a bunch of carbs by accident.

-pickles are a good 0 carb snack, as well as Cool Whip, which has only a few carbs, but small servings.
-they make lowcarb ketchup, which saves the day. but you could use red hot instead (zero carb)
-stay away from anything that has a big "net carb" label. dont fall for advertising, something that has 3 net carbs, could truly have 30 carbs.
-diet soda helps
-remember, NO juices, but you could find zero carb flavored tonic water. (which is also great for gin and tonics)
-there are a ton of zero carb dressings. find some 1g roasted peppers, mix with grilled chicken and italian dressing in a frying pan. (makes for a good chicken cachitoire knock off) i had this once a day.

buffalo chicken (zero carb). mix Franks Red Hot and margarine (8-1 ratio) in a pan. and then mix it with grilled chicken.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:24 AM
Banned

theres a whole line of zero carb dressings (i think by wishbone) this things are great, i suggest you get everyone. they even have bluecheese.

and stay away from processed cheese (such as polly-o)

chicken wings and peperoni are the best tasting things you could probably have in this diet. sure they are fattening, but will help make up for the loss of envergy from carbs.

remember, high calories do not need to be scrutinized as much as they used to. eating something high in calories will give you more energy and wont effect your diet greatly. i stress the word "greatly" b/c obv. eating chicken wings everyday isnt good for you no matter what diet you are on. premade roasted chicken breast at the supermarket also helps to make a quick dinner.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:47 AM
Team Owner

Dang thanks for the advice. My wife bought Crystal Light mix. Is that allowed for this program? I also saw that Jello cups have 0 carbs so I'm assuming these are ok? And I can't eat salad for 2 weeks right. I think it has some carbs?
Old 07-06-2005, 12:32 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Doom878
Dang thanks for the advice. My wife bought Crystal Light mix. Is that allowed for this program? I also saw that Jello cups have 0 carbs so I'm assuming these are ok? And I can't eat salad for 2 weeks right. I think it has some carbs?
You'll have to get your energy from fat. Eat lots of chicken. Beef is good too (choose lean ground beef if you want to make healthy burgers at home) and use REAL cheese. If you want to shake it up a bit, make some fish. Seafood is the most unboring way of eating protein, and it's high in the "good" fatty acids. Don't bother drinking Crystal Light. Aspartame is bad for you in the long run. Just have water instead.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:58 PM
Team Owner

She gets sick of water. What else to drink?
Old 07-06-2005, 01:24 PM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by Doom878
She gets sick of water. What else to drink?
Try the flavored waters.

Quick Reply: Started Atkins yesterday... story inside