Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

Soreness

Old 07-11-2005, 07:03 PM
werd

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Question Soreness

Is it safe to work a muscle group even if it's sore? Is it inefficient in the sense that it would be better to wait an additional day?

I've read in various different places that working on your abs should be done frequently, like 4-5 times a week. I worked on them yesterday, and now they're sore... should I rest them or work them out?
Old 07-11-2005, 08:42 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if your sore, rest . Abs are just used more frequntly, therefore they usually recover quicker, but if there sore, avoid working them again. Same goes with any other muscle group. Rest >
Old 07-11-2005, 09:25 PM
Burning Brakes

I'd rest a day just to get the worst of it over with but you do need to work through the soreness. It's not a horrible damage, but micro tears and acid that you've built up in your muscles. Time will heal the micro tears, the acid will have to get worked out of your system. Obviously you have just started working out. After 2 weeks of regular workouts, you won't feel too sore with the same routine.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:25 AM
GLOBO Gym Spokesman

Originally Posted by amisconception
Is it safe to work a muscle group even if it's sore? Is it inefficient in the sense that it would be better to wait an additional day?

I've read in various different places that working on your abs should be done frequently, like 4-5 times a week. I worked on them yesterday, and now they're sore... should I rest them or work them out?
your muscles will gradually become accustomed to what you're doing. wait on the abs, an extra day or two, then hit them again. you are right, they are a muscle group that needs to be worked frequently for best results. within 2 weeks, at the most, you'll be able to hit them every other day.

just remember your muscles grow when you're away from the gym, not while in it.