Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

Simple Little Bench?

Old 07-31-2005, 07:58 PM
Hairy Balls

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Simple Little Bench?

Basically I'm looking to work on my Pecks. The main problem I have is they don't exist.
I can't join a gym. I'm too shy so that is absolutly out of the question.
I'm looking for some sort of workout bench so I can lay down on it and do some of those dumbell weights... you know, hold them straight out, and bring thtm to an apex and put them back down. Do they make such a thing?
Old 07-31-2005, 08:10 PM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
like this?

You should be able to pick up a simple flat bench at any sporting goods store for very cheap. Or check classified/craigslist... I see this kind of stuff on there a lot.
Old 07-31-2005, 08:17 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,232 Likes on 822 Posts
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/fa...710958.1170115
Old 07-31-2005, 08:47 PM
Hairy Balls

Originally Posted by BEETROOT
like this?

You should be able to pick up a simple flat bench at any sporting goods store for very cheap. Or check classified/craigslist... I see this kind of stuff on there a lot.
Yeah, like that. Can that one be taken apart and stored somewhere? I checked Walmart and Boscov's - they don't havbe anything simple like that. The one they did have was pink and I shit you not - with bright orange flames.

What is a craiglist?
Old 07-31-2005, 08:50 PM
Yeehaw

www.craigslist.org

but no, this one can't be folded up or anything...
Old 07-31-2005, 11:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Toots
Basically I'm looking to work on my Pecks. The main problem I have is they don't exist.
I can't join a gym. I'm too shy so that is absolutly out of the question.
I'm looking for some sort of workout bench so I can lay down on it and do some of those dumbell weights... you know, hold them straight out, and bring thtm to an apex and put them back down. Do they make such a thing?
That's no excuse at all. Very few people are strong or in good shape when they first get into the gym, that's the whole reason people go there. Everyone who is in there was in your position once, and they don't give a shit about how you look.

Man up and get into a decent gym.

Oh, and plan on working out more than your pecs, and doing more than just flies. It'll take you forever to see solid gains and when you do, you'll look funny.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:33 PM
Hairy Balls

Originally Posted by ABreece
That's no excuse at all. Very few people are strong or in good shape when they first get into the gym, that's the whole reason people go there. Everyone who is in there was in your position once, and they don't give a shit about how you look.

Man up and get into a decent gym.

Oh, and plan on working out more than your pecs, and doing more than just flies. It'll take you forever to see solid gains and when you do, you'll look funny.

It won't happen... I'm a computer dork and I know where I will and will not fit in. Trust me on this one, I went down that road before and felt like a schmuck. If I join I'll never go and the money will just go down the drain.
maybe a Bowflex... I dunno.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:34 PM
Hairy Balls

and I already do look funny...
Old 08-01-2005, 12:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Believe me, no one cares what your skinny ass looks like as long as you're not whoring the equipment and leaving it all over the place. You are the only one who thinks anyone cares. Everyone is checking themselves and girls out to be caring what you are doing.

Also, if you are that weak, you don't need a bench, just start with push ups and doing multiple sets until you can do at least 40 good, chest touching the ground and arms locked out, push-ups without stopping. Then you can probably benefit from weights.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:24 AM
Burning Brakes

i agree with the people that say that no one will care what you look like. That is the whole point of going to the gym...to work out, get fit, get stronger, look better, get toned, get some definition, gain muscles. Thats what a gym is for. no one will judge you either because everyone is pretty much paying attention to themselves and not anyone else.

And since you're a skinny guy i'm assuming, it will take some time and work before you will start seeing anything. you are going to need to start with light weights first and then work to heavier weights as soon as you get stronger and once you start building up the muscles and endurance.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:11 AM
Suzuka Master

It won't happen... I'm a computer dork and I know where I will and will not fit in. Trust me on this one, I went down that road before and felt like a schmuck. If I join I'll never go and the money will just go down the drain.
maybe a Bowflex... I dunno.
I was a fat computer dork when i started lifting. Hell, i'm still kinda fat, and i'm still a dork. I fit in at LAN parties and anime conventions Big whoop, nobody at my gym cares - hell, some of the biggest guys at my gym are some good friends of mine, and they often compliment me on how hard i work. Like i said, nobody starts off in the gym looking ripped and benching 500lbs.

Do you remember this guy from the workout sticky? Does he look like he belongs in the gym?

http://www.wtfhost.com/userfiles/zaf...crunge/old.jpg
http://www.wtfhost.com/userfiles/zaf...runge/old2.jpg
http://www.wtfhost.com/userfiles/zaf...runge/old3.jpg

How about now?
http://www.wtfhost.com/userfiles/zaf...nge/still2.JPG
http://www.wtfhost.com/userfiles/zaf...unge/back2.JPG

I'm serious man, just get in there. Nobody but you gives a shit. If you can't force yourself to even go somewhere, how do you expect to force yourself to eat right and work hard in order to see decent gains? I'm not trying to be mean here, I'm just telling you like it is. Man up and get your shit straight, you'll be glad you did.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:17 AM
LOLZ McCain Sux

I was a fat computer dork when i started lifting. Hell, i'm still kinda fat, and i'm still a dork. I fit in at LAN parties and anime conventions Big whoop, nobody at my gym cares - hell, some of the biggest guys at my gym are some good friends of mine, and they often compliment me on how hard i work. Like i said, nobody starts off in the gym looking ripped and benching 500lbs.

Do you remember this guy from the workout sticky? Does he look like he belongs in the gym?

How about now?

I'm serious man, just get in there. Nobody but you gives a shit. If you can't force yourself to even go somewhere, how do you expect to force yourself to eat right and work hard in order to see decent gains? I'm not trying to be mean here, I'm just telling you like it is. Man up and get your shit straight, you'll be glad you did.

Exactly, being scared of the gym will fuck you up. I used to be fit, then I gained weight and didn't want to go back to the gym and ended up making shit worse. Well once I went back I noticed no one gave a damn they were just like "hey mike"

Just go to the gym. Once you see some results you will be confident and LOVE going to the gym. If I had to lift at home all day I would never end up lifting but getting Sexy for the ladies keeps me going back.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:26 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,232 Likes on 822 Posts
I was self conscious when I first started going to the gym because I was overweight. Now, I am fine.

I see lots of overweight people at the gym now. My feeling is that at least they are working on getting thin, so I try not to laugh at them .

Now, the old guy who looks like he is pissing his pants on the machines because he sweats so much and walks around the locker room naked is another story.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:54 AM
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
start with the push ups, that will work your whole upper body at the same time which is probably the best for you.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:40 PM
Hairy Balls

How about now?

I know you're right, but the problem is getting started. I don't know my ass froma hole in the ground with this stuff.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:16 PM
Suzuka Master

I know you're right, but the problem is getting started. I don't know my ass froma hole in the ground with this stuff.
Start learnin

Find a gym with personal trainers, or find a friend who works out. Or go up to one of the big guys in the gym (when he's resting in between sets of course) and tell him you're new, and ask if he'd be willing to show you some stuff sometime. Most people are happy to help others. Get a basic routine from them, or build one based on what you see in the "post your workout" sticky, and then come here and ask us about it.

Make sure you plan to hit your chest, shoulders, legs, back, and arms in one week. If you see an exercise and you're not sure what it's called, www.bodbuilding.com and www.abcbodybuilding.com (among other sites) have great exercise indexes. ABC even has some animated gifs to go along with most of the exercises.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:17 PM
Kenpachi Teichou

What people have been saying is dead on. No one at the gym cares about the other people there. If anything when I see some tiny guy (or fat guy, whatever) doing weights I respect the fact that he's there and working hard.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:12 PM
Hairy Balls

Start learnin

Find a gym with personal trainers, or find a friend who works out. Or go up to one of the big guys in the gym (when he's resting in between sets of course) and tell him you're new, and ask if he'd be willing to show you some stuff sometime. Most people are happy to help others. Get a basic routine from them, or build one based on what you see in the "post your workout" sticky, and then come here and ask us about it.

Make sure you plan to hit your chest, shoulders, legs, back, and arms in one week. If you see an exercise and you're not sure what it's called, www.bodbuilding.com and www.abcbodybuilding.com (among other sites) have great exercise indexes. ABC even has some animated gifs to go along with most of the exercises.

I'll ask my brother. Yeah, I'll need atrainer or something. I'm nto going to ask some stranger....
Old 08-01-2005, 05:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Dude, you are 27. I hope you don't have this hard a time talking to girls. I will say that people will look at you and laugh at you ONLY if you don't know what you are doing. If you are using weights that are too heavy and throwing your back out looking stupid, then people will laugh at you on the inside. So as long as you get trained right with a friend who knows what he is doing, you'll be fine.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:59 PM
Hairy Balls

Originally Posted by SDCGTSX
Dude, you are 27. I hope you don't have this hard a time talking to girls. I will say that people will look at you and laugh at you ONLY if you don't know what you are doing. If you are using weights that are too heavy and throwing your back out looking stupid, then people will laugh at you on the inside. So as long as you get trained right with a friend who knows what he is doing, you'll be fine.

Well let's look at the time I almost got married.

No,wait. let's not.

You sold me. I'll Start making some calls.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Another satisfied customer.

Thank you. Come again.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:28 PM
Hairy Balls

Well, this looks like it will cost me a bit.

Hmmm... http://www.bodyzonesports.com/fitness/membership.htm
Old 08-01-2005, 09:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Well let's look at the time I almost got married.

No,wait. let's not.

You sold me. I'll Start making some calls.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:38 PM
Hairy Balls

Another satisfied customer.

Thank you. Come again.

Not quite yet.. I have to join up, and I don't look that great naked. I'll squeeze this stuff in between Corporate Finance and work. Well, either that or I'd be watching TV.

Oh yeah, I don't care what they say... I'm not giving up pasta. If I give up poasta my family will disown me.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:07 PM
GLOBO Gym Spokesman

Not quite yet.. I have to join up, and I don't look that great naked. I'll squeeze this stuff in between Corporate Finance and work. Well, either that or I'd be watching TV.

Oh yeah, I don't care what they say... I'm not giving up pasta. If I give up poasta my family will disown me.
You could alway throw in a Richard Simmons tape

You don't gotta give up pasta. Few days a week in the gym and you'll see results in no time if you stick with it. Be sure to have fun there too. If it becomes a chore you'll end up trailing off just keep it enjoyable.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:08 PM
GLOBO Gym Spokesman

Also, if you are that weak, you don't need a bench, just start with push ups and doing multiple sets until you can do at least 40 good, chest touching the ground and arms locked out, push-ups without stopping. Then you can probably benefit from weights.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:38 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
how do pushups compare to bench presses?
Old 08-02-2005, 11:18 PM
Yeehaw

approx ^ 60% of body weight
Old 08-03-2005, 09:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Are you fat or skinny? If you're skinny, pasta is a great way to get more calories into your diet.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:56 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by BEETROOT
approx ^ 60% of body weight

so, if I weigh 200lbs i'm basically BP'ing 120? Also, does one have the benefits over the other?
Old 08-03-2005, 01:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CLpower
so, if I weigh 200lbs i'm basically BP'ing 120? Also, does one have the benefits over the other?
You can change weights on a bench but can't with pushups. But it's a good substitute when you've got nothing around you. Unless you can do one armed pushups...