Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

Put on a ton of weight, anyone want to start a week by week weight loss thread?

Old 08-13-2011, 04:51 PM
B A N N E D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Down to 220 from 275 since jan 3
Old 08-13-2011, 10:59 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Originally Posted by MyTL09
Down to 220 from 275 since jan 3
Damn! What are you doing to lose the weight? What is your target? What is your %BF?

That's a LOT to lose, but I guess 7 lbs a month is a decent pace.

Buying new clothes is kinda cool when you lose a ton of weight, huh? Makes you feel really good.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:45 AM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
^It's also very expensive. Especially if half your wardrobe are tailored suits. $$$$! Sucks!

Worth it though.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
still holding strong at 53 lbs lost.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:56 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by Maharajamd
^It's also very expensive. Especially if half your wardrobe are tailored suits. $$$$! Sucks!

Worth it though.
Make sure you hold on to your "fat" clothes too. I tend to fluctuate and I have a whole set of clothes that don't fit me but I hang on to them anyway because I know eventually I will fit them. Right now I'm in between a large and XL in t-shirts since I started lifting 3.5 months ago. Once the XLs get tight I'll probably quit again for a few years until the large shirts get loose and start all over again. Luckily the suits still fit but it's getting harder to bend my arms without feeling like I'm going to break something. I rarely use them anymore and they were bought at a time when I had a ton of money and very few bills so replacing them with something slightly larger will never happen.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:40 AM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by MyTL09
Ok guys I haven't responded to this thread In a while but I'm still in the workout game I was stuck at 250 for the longest time and I weighed In this past Sunday at 236 beginning of this year January 4th I was 275 and at 6"3 I'm not sure if I can go any lower as much I would want to
What is your workout routine? I'm same height and weight as you when you started.

The problem for me (and I imagine most people) is finding the time to work out. I have a huge gym I pay for with homeowner's dues but I've only been there like 5 times in 8 months. I work a lot, 50-60hrs a week and I go to school 2-3 nights a week.

How long are you spending in the gym? How frequently are you going? And how many calories are you eating daily?

Thanks
Old 08-17-2011, 09:43 AM
Team Owner

I lost 90 lbs in 100 days when I was 20. 300-210. Swim then lift in the AM, run then lift in the PM, and possible run again before bed.

Since I gained it back and did almost the same thing again. Between Thanksgiving 2010 and Easter 2011 I lost 85 lbs. 295 to 210. This time however it was less cardio and more lifting, believe it or not.

Fun stuff.
How tall are you? How do you have so much time during your day to work out?

When you were losing weight, what was your diet like?
Old 08-17-2011, 09:49 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
^to be honest, its 80% diet, 10% gym, and 10% dedication.

if you can change your lifestyle to include healthy food, the gym and dedication part is easy
Old 08-17-2011, 01:06 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by justnspace
^to be honest, its 80% diet, 10% gym, and 10% dedication.

if you can change your lifestyle to include healthy food, the gym and dedication part is easy
Very true. Diet is everything. If I were trying to lose weight and had to choose between diet and gym, diet would be the only choice. I hit the gym hard when I'm dieting but that's to avoid losing muscle, not to lose fat. I'm sure it doesn't hurt in the fat burning but that's not it's primary goal.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:34 AM
Team Owner

Thanks guys.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:34 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Make sure you hold on to your "fat" clothes too. I tend to fluctuate and I have a whole set of clothes that don't fit me but I hang on to them anyway because I know eventually I will fit them. Right now I'm in between a large and XL in t-shirts since I started lifting 3.5 months ago. Once the XLs get tight I'll probably quit again for a few years until the large shirts get loose and start all over again. Luckily the suits still fit but it's getting harder to bend my arms without feeling like I'm going to break something. I rarely use them anymore and they were bought at a time when I had a ton of money and very few bills so replacing them with something slightly larger will never happen.
Yea I hold onto certain articles of clothing. But t shirts, briefs, etc usually get tossed then re bought.

Originally Posted by mrsteve
How tall are you? How do you have so much time during your day to work out? When you were losing weight, what was your diet like?
I am 6'6". I didn't, that's the dedication part. The first time I lost that much weight my day would start at 4 or 5. I would go to the gym and swim laps. And I mean SWIM and I mean LAPS. I would swim hard for an hour. Then hit the weights for an hour. Never in reverse. Try and swim laps after lifting...

Then I would go to work from 8-4 then head back to the gym. I would then usually run for 20-30 and lift for another hour. Big thing for me in particular, but in general for all, is to switch it up as much as possible. Circuits, supers, etc.

Then, and not always, I would go back to the gym around 10. This a milder workout, usually run for 10-15 minutes and then lift lighter weights more reps. This workout usually depended on where I am on my cycle of lifting. If I didn't go to the gym the third time, I would ALWAYS run around the block and do some situps/pushups/planks before bed. I found in my case, my metabolism is the main problem. So if I get my heart rate up before bed, it would really spur the weight loss. I know I'm doing well if I shit 2+ times a day. If I don't, I'm out of sync.

My diet was kind of stupid simple to be honest. I didn't plan out all of my meals or follow any set plan.
  • No fast food, ever.
  • No sweets, ever. Icecream, pastries, candy, etc.
  • No soda or any drink like them.
  • No alcohol. Period. Alcohol kills mass growth.
  • A lot of greens. Usually a salad a day. And or a salad alongside my main meal.
  • Shit tons, and I mean tons, of water.
  • 4-7 small meals a day.
  • More fish and chicken then red meat or pork.
  • Portion control.
  • Less salt.
  • Cheat one meal a week. That's right. It's impossible to say "no" 100% of the time. You'll only crash and stuff your face. So plan out your cheat meal. Mine was always friday night mexican and margaritas with my then gf. It's also good to spike your system.
The water, alcohol, and 7 meals a day is key, imho. Especially if you are like me and have a slow metabolism. I would always eat the appropriate foods pre and post workout. And let me tell you, some of you may not believe that makes a big difference but it does. I can remember running out of my breakfast food before I would go swim. About 30 minutes into the swim I would be dead. And I would be even deader during the morning lift. This is very important. The right foods at the right times.

Originally Posted by justnspace
^to be honest, its 80% diet, 10% gym, and 10% dedication. If you can change your lifestyle to include healthy food, the gym and dedication part is easy.
60% dedication, 20% diet, 20% workout. If there is dedication the other two simply come with the territory. The key is exactly that, think of it more as an entire lifestyle switch. Not a change, a new one.

And saying "No" snowballs. At least it does for me. The first couple weeks of saying "Nah man, I really can't have that beer." "No hunny, I really don't want any cake" are the hardest. But once you have some "No's" under your belt it's a lot easier to keep saying it. After a while, sweets don't even sound good. Alcohol sounds gross. Or even make you sick to your stomach.

Last edited by maharajamd; 08-18-2011 at 09:37 AM.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:44 AM

amen, I dont do fast food, nor sweets.

i did abstain from alcohol for a period of time and was in pretty great shape.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:20 PM
Team Owner

Yea I hold onto certain articles of clothing. But t shirts, briefs, etc usually get tossed then re bought.

I am 6'6". I didn't, that's the dedication part. The first time I lost that much weight my day would start at 4 or 5. I would go to the gym and swim laps. And I mean SWIM and I mean LAPS. I would swim hard for an hour. Then hit the weights for an hour. Never in reverse. Try and swim laps after lifting...

Then I would go to work from 8-4 then head back to the gym. I would then usually run for 20-30 and lift for another hour. Big thing for me in particular, but in general for all, is to switch it up as much as possible. Circuits, supers, etc.

Then, and not always, I would go back to the gym around 10. This a milder workout, usually run for 10-15 minutes and then lift lighter weights more reps. This workout usually depended on where I am on my cycle of lifting. If I didn't go to the gym the third time, I would ALWAYS run around the block and do some situps/pushups/planks before bed. I found in my case, my metabolism is the main problem. So if I get my heart rate up before bed, it would really spur the weight loss. I know I'm doing well if I shit 2+ times a day. If I don't, I'm out of sync.

My diet was kind of stupid simple to be honest. I didn't plan out all of my meals or follow any set plan.
  • No fast food, ever.
  • No sweets, ever. Icecream, pastries, candy, etc.
  • No soda or any drink like them.
  • No alcohol. Period. Alcohol kills mass growth.
  • A lot of greens. Usually a salad a day. And or a salad alongside my main meal.
  • Shit tons, and I mean tons, of water.
  • 4-7 small meals a day.
  • More fish and chicken then red meat or pork.
  • Portion control.
  • Less salt.
  • Cheat one meal a week. That's right. It's impossible to say "no" 100% of the time. You'll only crash and stuff your face. So plan out your cheat meal. Mine was always friday night mexican and margaritas with my then gf. It's also good to spike your system.
The water, alcohol, and 7 meals a day is key, imho. Especially if you are like me and have a slow metabolism. I would always eat the appropriate foods pre and post workout. And let me tell you, some of you may not believe that makes a big difference but it does. I can remember running out of my breakfast food before I would go swim. About 30 minutes into the swim I would be dead. And I would be even deader during the morning lift. This is very important. The right foods at the right times.

60% dedication, 20% diet, 20% workout. If there is dedication the other two simply come with the territory. The key is exactly that, think of it more as an entire lifestyle switch. Not a change, a new one.

And saying "No" snowballs. At least it does for me. The first couple weeks of saying "Nah man, I really can't have that beer." "No hunny, I really don't want any cake" are the hardest. But once you have some "No's" under your belt it's a lot easier to keep saying it. After a while, sweets don't even sound good. Alcohol sounds gross. Or even make you sick to your stomach.
I couldn't agree more, especially with the importance of the cheat day once a week and getting the metabolism up before bed time. I start tapering off carbs as the day goes on also. I'm back to working out twice a day as well. I did the first 2 months with no changes to my diet and no suppliments. For the second two months I've been doing a basic creatine/protein/aminos for suppliments and slightly tightened up the diet. Right now everyone put in $20 to see who could add the most inches to their arms in a month so I'm still eating a lot of calories. Started at 18.5" (15.5" 3 months ago), should be 20" on measurement day. Then they're doing a 30-day biggest loser which I'm very good at. Should be able to knock off 30lbs which would put me right where I want to be at 215-220-ish with around 8%bf. After that I plan to clean bulk to the end of the year. I tend to get bigger than I want so I can take a year or two off of working out.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:29 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Received 374 Likes on 207 Posts
It's also good to spike your system.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:11 PM

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
l
Old 08-18-2011, 09:59 PM
Race Director