Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

post workout meal necessary?

Old 10-19-2008, 11:47 PM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
post workout meal necessary?

If I am drinking my protein shake with milk, will I gain weight and do more harm if I eat a meal WITH my shake? They say you need protein and carbohydrate after working out and my protein shake with milk already provides that. Will I gain more weight consuming more carbs other than in my shake?
Old 10-20-2008, 09:14 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
huh? Are you asking if eating will make you gain weight?
Old 10-20-2008, 10:15 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
This question has so many answers, but one thing to keep in mind, the more you eat, the more weight you will gain, the more calories you burn the more you will lose.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:32 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by FiftyFive
one thing to keep in mind, the more you eat, the more weight you will gain, the more calories you burn the more you will lose.
LOL thanks

anybody else?
Old 10-21-2008, 08:17 AM
My Garage

Originally Posted by TLBaller
LOL thanks

anybody else?
Maybe you should try asking that question again in an answerable form.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Protien and carb shake immediatley after a workout followed by a "healthy square meal within an hour after that. Your muscles need slow and fast digesting proteins. The fast and slow digesting proteins are needed every 3 hours. That's why bodybuilders eat "alot" of meals.....
Old 10-21-2008, 12:38 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Chemmech
Protien and carb shake immediatley after a workout followed by a "healthy square meal within an hour after that. Your muscles need slow and fast digesting proteins. The fast and slow digesting proteins are needed every 3 hours. That's why bodybuilders eat "alot" of meals.....
You'd think this is the answer he was looking for
Old 10-21-2008, 05:40 PM

Yeah, there's definately a basic foundation that needs to be laid to be successful. Timing , meals, sleep, supplements. If you got it down, it's very rewarding and well worth the time invested.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:55 PM

Your body is just a big chemistry set. You will lose weight if you eat alot of meals 5 to 6 per day. Wanna lose weight?

OK, here's the big frickin secret;
Stay away from these;

refined sugars
milk products
flour products
fat butter lard.
there's one more but I can't remember, no it's not carbs, they're good for you.....

The above items digest faster than carbs and protiens. Your body will react and break down these things before it even gets a chance to absorb the carbs and protiens. The end result is fat instead of muscle.....
Old 10-21-2008, 07:54 PM

the other thing is;

salt

of course alot of these things are essential and good, if not taken in excess.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:27 AM
My Garage

Your body is just a big chemistry set. You will lose weight if you eat alot of meals 5 to 6 per day. Wanna lose weight?

OK, here's the big frickin secret;
Stay away from these;

refined sugars
milk products
flour products
fat butter lard.
there's one more but I can't remember, no it's not carbs, they're good for you.....

The above items digest faster than carbs and protiens. Your body will react and break down these things before it even gets a chance to absorb the carbs and protiens. The end result is fat instead of muscle.....
Why milk products? Aren't they whey proteins?
Old 10-22-2008, 11:00 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,309 Likes on 962 Posts
Yeah I read some that milk is good. Some even argue to drink whole milk as it is more natural as opposed to lowfat.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:02 PM

Milk products, whey is good, it's just the fat and estrogen that might set ya back abit.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:04 AM
My Garage

Milk products, whey is good, it's just the fat and estrogen that might set ya back abit.
So what about skim milk?
Old 10-23-2008, 07:02 PM
Safety Car

thanks guys. so shake after lift then wait about an hour to eat a meal. then 3 hrs to eat another meal?

I didn't ask about how to loose weight and skim milk would be the best choice.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:41 PM

skim milk is good.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:01 PM
UB6IB9

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post workout meals should consist of proteins and carbs like dextrose.
Eat 5-6 meals a day,stay away from simple carbs other than post workout.
Loosing weight =cals ingested vs cals burned,meaning,if you eat more cals than you burn you will not loose weight.Incorporate flax seeds and fish to your diet.
You can also "zig zag" your cals.Meaning reduce2-3 cals per lbs of lean body mass 4-5 days a week and then increase 2-3 cals per lbs of lean body mass for the rest of the week.When loosing weight you will also loose lbm,use glutamine to minimize muscle loss.Before you do all this you need to figure out you BMR.(basal metabolic rate)To do all this it is best to go see a personal trainer and he will be able to tell you your BMR,BMI and LBM. I could go on and on with this stuff.This is just a start,good luck.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:04 PM
UB6IB9

Originally Posted by TLBaller
thanks guys. so shake after lift then wait about an hour to eat a meal. then 3 hrs to eat another meal?

I didn't ask about how to loose weight and skim milk would be the best choice.
Stay away from dairy products.Milk is no good for you.Do you see any animals drinking milk other than that of their mothers? Do a search on milk!!!!
If you want calcium to build strong bones eat broccoli.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:29 PM
My Garage

Originally Posted by 1st timer
Stay away from dairy products.Milk is no good for you.Do you see any animals drinking milk other than that of their mothers? Do a search on milk!!!!
If you want calcium to build strong bones eat broccoli.
Cats drink milk

Plus I don't think too many animals have the whole pasturization process worked out. Nor do they get into the whole diet/weightlifting thing. What else do you have to support milk not being good for you?
Old 10-31-2008, 03:09 PM
UB6IB9

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
Cats drink milk

Plus I don't think too many animals have the whole pasturization process worked out. Nor do they get into the whole diet/weightlifting thing. What else do you have to support milk not being good for you?
The human race existed long before Pasteur was heard of.
Pasteurization also destroys 20 percent of the iodine present in raw milk, causes constipation and generally takes from the milk its most vital qualities.Besides destroying part of the vitamin C contained in raw milk and encouraging growth of harmful bacteria, pasteurization turns the sugar of milk, known as lactose, into beta-lactose, which is far more soluble and therefore more rapidly absorbed in the system, with the result that the child soon becomes hungry again.

Last edited by 1st timer; 10-31-2008 at 03:11 PM.
Old 10-31-2008, 03:15 PM
My Garage

The human race existed long before Pasteur was heard of.
Pasteurization also destroys 20 percent of the iodine present in raw milk, causes constipation and generally takes from the milk its most vital qualities.Besides destroying part of the vitamin C contained in raw milk and encouraging growth of harmful bacteria, pasteurization turns the sugar of milk, known as lactose, into beta-lactose, which is far more soluble and therefore more rapidly absorbed in the system, with the result that the child soon becomes hungry again.
Ok, but I'm still not getting what about that makes milk bad for you. You just said that milk has vital qualities and vitamin C.

Milk never constipate me. I'm not getting your point. What is it about milk that is bad for us?
Old 10-31-2008, 03:22 PM
UB6IB9

Ok, but I'm still not getting what about that makes milk bad for you. You just said that milk has vital qualities and vitamin C.

Milk never constipate me. I'm not getting your point. What is it about milk that is bad for us?
Milk protein, known as casein, is difficult for humans to digest and stimulates the production of mucus (the body creates mucus to get rid of the undigested protein). This can aggravate conditions such as asthma, bronchitis and sinusitis.
children reduce or even eliminate the re occurrence of chronic ear infections just by removing dairy products from their diet.Milk has another major problem that creates health problems for people. Buttermilk, the fat in milk, is the most saturated fat in the American diet. Cheese is often 70% (or higher) fat by calories. Even "low fat" 2% milk is actually 24 to 33% fat as calories. Milk is a principal contributor to high cholesterol and artery-clogging artheroscherosis.I can go on and on and on. That's my opinion,simple! Go have a glass of milk and calm down.
Old 10-31-2008, 03:30 PM
My Garage

Milk protein, known as casein, is difficult for humans to digest and stimulates the production of mucus (the body creates mucus to get rid of the undigested protein). This can aggravate conditions such as asthma, bronchitis and sinusitis.
children reduce or even eliminate the re occurrence of chronic ear infections just by removing dairy products from their diet.Milk has another major problem that creates health problems for people. Buttermilk, the fat in milk, is the most saturated fat in the American diet. Cheese is often 70% (or higher) fat by calories. Even "low fat" 2% milk is actually 24 to 33% fat as calories. Milk is a principal contributor to high cholesterol and artery-clogging artheroscherosis.I can go on and on and on. That's my opinion,simple! Go have a glass of milk and calm down.
Calm down? I wasn't really worked up. I'm just trying to clear this up.

Everything you just said are factors of individual ability to drink milk. I have no problem drinking milk or digesting it. I don't have asthma, bronchitis or sinusitis so I have no risk of aggravating them. I'm not a child, nor do i get chronic ear infections. I only drink skim milk, which has no fat and less cholesterol than buttermilk or 2% milk.

However, whey protein, the most soluble form of protein, is a natural by-product of milk and is of the most important substances your body can ingest.

And is this really your opinion or is it facts you are getting from somewhere?
Old 10-31-2008, 03:50 PM
UB6IB9

Calm down? I wasn't really worked up. I'm just trying to clear this up.

Everything you just said are factors of individual ability to drink milk. I have no problem drinking milk or digesting it. I don't have asthma, bronchitis or sinusitis so I have no risk of aggravating them. I'm not a child, nor do i get chronic ear infections. I only drink skim milk, which has no fat and less cholesterol than buttermilk or 2% milk.

However, whey protein, the most soluble form of protein, is a natural by-product of milk and is of the most important substances your body can ingest.

And is this really your opinion or is it facts you are getting from somewhere?
Do some research on it.Everybody is different.It may bother some while it won't bother others.I'm not saying that you'll encounter all these symptoms either.
I'm assuming you think that red meat is necessary?
And too much protein is no good for you either.Can irritate the kidneys and can cause arthritis because your body will produce uric acid.Don't get me wrong,I used to eat red meat like 3-4 times a week untill I started reading more about health.I love red meat but now I cut it down to 1-2 times a month.I feel alot healthier the way i eat now than in my old ways. I laso train and get better faster results with because i'm eating all the right foods and not too much of them, just enough.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:00 PM
My Garage

Do some research on it.Everybody is different.It may bother some while it won't bother others.I'm not saying that you'll encounter all these symptoms either.
I'm assuming you think that red meat is necessary?
And too much protein is no good for you either.Can irritate the kidneys and can cause arthritis because your body will produce uric acid.Don't get me wrong,I used to eat red meat like 3-4 times a week untill I started reading more about health.I love red meat but now I cut it down to 1-2 times a month.I feel alot healthier the way i eat now than in my old ways. I laso train and get better faster results with because i'm eating all the right foods and not too much of them, just enough.
So I wasn't worked up before, but I am now.

You really need to stop with your assumptions and blanket statements. You're not the only one who can read about health. Saying things like "I'm assuming you think that red meat is necessary?" insults my intelligence and to be honest you haven't shown me much to be able to do that. Especially after all you did was copy and paste from the first page of some Google results, results which did nothing to prove your point.

I don't think you were right to come out and say that people in general should stay away from milk when in actuality it depends in the individual.

That said, I'm a steady weightlifter and ingest a little less than a gram per pound of body weight (Yes I can read too so I know about eating too much irritating your kidneys and liver).

That's just my opinion.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:41 PM
UB6IB9

So I wasn't worked up before, but I am now.

You really need to stop with your assumptions and blanket statements. You're not the only one who can read about health. Saying things like "I'm assuming you think that red meat is necessary?" insults my intelligence and to be honest you haven't shown me much to be able to do that. Especially after all you did was copy and paste from the first page of some Google results, results which did nothing to prove your point.

I don't think you were right to come out and say that people in general should stay away from milk when in actuality it depends in the individual.

That said, I'm a steady weightlifter and ingest a little less than a gram per pound of body weight (Yes I can read too so I know about eating too much irritating your kidneys and liver).

That's just my opinion.
An opinion is an opinion take it how you like!!!!!Everyone here is old enough to make his/her own decisions.I wasted enough of my time!!!!!
Old 11-15-2008, 12:51 PM
Stand For Something

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
WOW, this thread is exactly why I stay away from this forum. People trying to act smart about stuff they don't know a damn thing about.

1st timer - I wish I could see you in person cuz I would smack the shit out of you.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:41 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,309 Likes on 962 Posts
Please enlighten us with your wisdom.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:44 AM
¿baCon?

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
huh? Are you asking if eating will make you gain weight?
Old 11-24-2008, 03:52 PM
UB6IB9

Originally Posted by ASASN21
WOW, this thread is exactly why I stay away from this forum. People trying to act smart about stuff they don't know a damn thing about.

1st timer - I wish I could see you in person cuz I would smack the shit out of you.
Key board warrior,take it easy cause if the day ever comes,you will regret those words.What I wrote above is my opinion after reading certain articles on the topic.Punk!!!