Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

P90x and P90x2

Old 05-03-2010, 03:32 PM
In the Mid-South meow

Received 2,088 Likes on 1,083 Posts
Originally Posted by TS_eXpeed
I felt that way too.
But I LOVE the shoulders & arms workout. Good luck!
Thanks man. I'm definitely going to make myself do it. I even woke myself up early this morning to have a proper breakfast, take my vitamin and I'm about to have my whey protein shake. Drinking lots of water and will have the recovery drink during and after my workout tonight. Even after only 3 days of it I'm feeling like I can make this a routine.

By the way, the area of your back you pulled is exactly the area I've injured various times over the past year. My advice; go to to a chiropractor ASAP. It's only going to get worse if you ignore it, but for now, ice for 20 minutes, off for 20, repeat as much as you can till you get an appointment. No heat, only ice.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:13 PM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperTrooper169
By the way, the area of your back you pulled is exactly the area I've injured various times over the past year. My advice; go to to a chiropractor ASAP. It's only going to get worse if you ignore it, but for now, ice for 20 minutes, off for 20, repeat as much as you can till you get an appointment. No heat, only ice.
Thanks!
I'll wait it out another day or two just se see if it goes away on it's own...but if it doesn't feel any better by Tu or Wed, I'll look for something. I'm still holding out that I just slept on it really bad Saturday night/morning. I mean...I did have quite a few that night....drinks that is...and didn't get home until 3:30am. I know nothing happened that night, so maybe I just contorted my body really weird and didn't know it.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:37 PM
In the Mid-South meow

Yeah, wait it out and see if it gets better. Remember ice is your friend.

I actually feel a little soreness in that exact area after my 1st workout and I've been icing it for the past two days. It's almost gone but still a tiny bit uncomfortable. Hopefully tonights workout doesn't make it any worse. Either way I'll be icing it again tonight I'm sure. It's been a reoccuring injury ever since the first episode of it hurting last year. I'm hoping strengthening my back in general will help prevent straining it so much each time I work out.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:57 AM
In the Mid-South meow

Did arms and shoulders then abs tonight. Arm/shoulder workout was actually pretty enjoyable. The hour really kind of flew by, but damn that ab workout. I can get about 6-8 reps in on most exercises and then either I lose my balance or my abs tense up so much I can't physically do any more reps. Tough as nails but the abs feel nice and tight now. Slight pain in the back still but I'll keep icing it and it'll eventually go away. My upper body is super sore. Simple things like getting up off of the couch are pretty painful, which is helping my late night binging because it's too damn painful to get up to go to the fridge.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:58 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
Ran out of time.

I will do teh next routine tomorrow. Shoulders and arms.

I'm not really doing this for a 90 day routine...if I decide I like it, I will do it as way to workout, get exercise. Not sure why, but I lost motivation to go to the gym...so I'm hoping this fills the hole.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:13 AM
I fixed the glitch

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Week one is over. Week two begins today. I like it. Kempo X reminds me of my taekwondo days.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:27 AM
Team Owner

Neck is continuing to feel better. Still some pain, but I think it's 'healing'. I haven't done a workout since Saturday due to time and the fact that I'm trying to let this thing subside. I think I'll start back up tomorrow and see how it goes.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:03 AM
Quarterlife Crisis....

Received 108 Likes on 84 Posts
I am in the recovery phase...Yesterday I did Core and I felt very generated to move. LOL someone saw me at dinner and said I looked like someone beat the snot out of me.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:19 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 05-04-2010, 10:47 AM
I fixed the glitch

I did do something to my sciatic nerve as it hurts to stand up after sitting and it's hard to bend down while stretching.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:38 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
I did shoulders/arms tonight...MUCH better. Much more in tune with what I would do at the gym. I finished this one. I had my weights set to 10lbs/ 10-12 reps for everything...so some stuff was a bit too easy, and some stuff was probably a little too heavy (straight arm flys.) Either way I can feel the blood in my arms right now.

I probably need to just buy a some varying weight dumbbells...i hate the set i have with the screw ons to add/subtract weight...too time consuming.

Now I just need to start following up with that ab ripper X...not looking forward to that crap. Never enjoyed it.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:49 AM

man, i remember when i had allergies last month.

allergies + ab ripper x =
Old 05-05-2010, 09:07 AM
In the Mid-South meow

Learned two things after Yoga last night: I'm neither flexible nor do I have any balance whatsoever. It was a b*tch and I honestly didn't like it at all. I thought I'd find this new inner chi within myself and all I ended finding was myself falling over as I attempted to look at the computer screen while trying some pretzel Yoga move. Not a fan, but I do have to admit my legs and upper body aren't nearly as sore as they were yesterday at this time, so it definitely stretched my muscles out and was worthwhile, it was just a very long hour and a half.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:01 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SuperTrooper169
Learned two things after Yoga last night: I'm neither flexible nor do I have any balance whatsoever. It was a b*tch and I honestly didn't like it at all. I thought I'd find this new inner chi within myself and all I ended finding was myself falling over as I attempted to look at the computer screen while trying some pretzel Yoga move. Not a fan, but I do have to admit my legs and upper body aren't nearly as sore as they were yesterday at this time, so it definitely stretched my muscles out and was worthwhile, it was just a very long hour and a half.
I did Yoga the first week and haven't done it since.
I do Cardio X instead usually.

It's not that I don't believe you can benefit from it, but it was. SO. BORING. Hour and a half of all this methodical slow paced crap just wasn't doing it for me. lol
Old 05-05-2010, 10:26 AM
Quarterlife Crisis....

I actually kinda like Yoga X. Its just that I'm not flexible and....My tummy is too big
Old 05-05-2010, 10:38 AM
In the Mid-South meow

Originally Posted by TS_eXpeed
I did Yoga the first week and haven't done it since.
I do Cardio X instead usually.

It's not that I don't believe you can benefit from it, but it was. SO. BORING. Hour and a half of all this methodical slow paced crap just wasn't doing it for me. lol
Lol I agree, it was SUPER BORING. I had a very stressful day at work yesterday and felt kind of rushed to finish Yoga to watch LOST, so that didn't help either. I am definitely not giving up on it yet, I just hope it gets a little easier next time. I still sweated like a beast duing it so calories were burnt as well.

Originally Posted by gr8ness97
I actually kinda like Yoga X. Its just that I'm not flexible and....My tummy is too big
You're not alone. Some of those moves where you put your back on the ground and then lift your legs and pelvis off the ground were incredibly hard for me because my belly was pushing into my chest. Not very comfortable, but what I love about the vidoes is the reinforcement of do what you can, not everyone can do the advanced moves, especially right off the bat, so again I'm not giving up on it yet.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:41 AM

i did half of yoga the first time around.

i really wanted to do it but couldn't finish it. it was too boring and hard.

so i've been timing my workouts and use basketball and/or soccer days in place of yoga.

kudos to those that can pull off the moves.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:22 PM
1st TL-S on air in

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JediMindTricks
i did half of yoga the first time around.

i really wanted to do it but couldn't finish it. it was too boring and hard.

so i've been timing my workouts and use basketball and/or soccer days in place of yoga.

kudos to those that can pull off the moves.
Yoga is the one day i dread, it is so long and im not flexible either. I know being flexible is good but id rather do the plyo.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:05 PM

yea i want to be flexible and attain better balance. it'll be very useful for bball and soccer.

maybe i'll give it a try during the next weeks' worth.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:19 PM
Team Owner

Neck still quirky....still trying Chest/Shoulders/Tri today. Might be going to see someone soon about my neck.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:00 PM
Team Owner

Did Chest/Shoulders/Triceps earlier, and strangely, my neck feels better.

Final judgement will be held off till tomorrow, but if anything I was afraid it was going to irritate it.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:50 AM
In the Mid-South meow

^ Hope your neck/back continues to feel better. Mine feels 100% today. I think it might have been the Yoga that stretched it out for me. I hated it but it obviously worked for me.

I did Legs & Back then Ab Ripper X last night. Overall I enjoyed the workout, but I hated having to listen to my knees crackling like Rice Crispies when doing the lungs and squat moves. I've had serious cartilage breakdown over the years and it's very audible when doing those exercises, so next time I'm either going to wear my iPod when doing the workout and/or wear my neoprene knee braces. They don't hurt when I do them, just the sound kills me. The only exercise that I was able to keep up with and do a complete set of was the calf raises. Otherwise I was about 10-12 reps per their 25.

The pull ups killed me again this workout. I need to shed more lbs before I can do anything over 2-3 pull ups per set. I use the Iron Gym pull up bar and use my legs to assist once I can't do anymore. I kind of feel like I'm cheating using that technique but I guess it's not that different than using a chair or the bands like they do in the video. I just wish I had more strength to pull myself up, but I guess that will come in time. I was never good at pull ups. They were always what held me back from getting the Presidential Physical Fitness Award in middle/high school lol.

The Ab Ripper X workout as usual kicked my butt (or should I say abs?). I am able to do more reps now than the first time but still can only get about 12-15 before failure except for the In & Outs which I can do 25 of, probably because it's the first one lol. 25 reps of those other ab moves is crazy, but considering I was only doing about 5-7 the first time before failure, it's not that crazy to think I'll work my way up to 25 someday.

Overall though after less than a week doing this I can absolutely tell I'm feeling and lookign stronger. I've been eating better food, less of it and more in the AM vs. PM. If I can feel this much better after only 6 days I can't wait to describe how I feel on day 90!
Old 05-06-2010, 01:02 PM
I fixed the glitch

Well, I woke up at 3am last night with a major pain in my sciatic nerve. I went to the doctor and am on pain meds. I was told to discontinue the high-impact exercises. So I will probably end up doing 1 hour of low-impact cardio on those days at the gym in my complex. Muscle workouts, I can continue.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:49 PM
In the Mid-South meow

Did Kenpo X tonight. Loved it! Totally made up for the boring a*s Yoga DVD. I was able to keep up with 90% of the workout and the hour flew by so fast. I kept thinking about the guy that laid me out cold in college when I was punching and kicking. Felt great giving him a virtual butt kicking lol. Had a great workout and can really feel it in the rear end and legs, even the chest and arms.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:40 AM
Quarterlife Crisis....

Thats whats up!

I missed a day of Cardio yesterday. I'm highly disappointed in myself. I dont even feel any differences in my body anymore....
Old 05-07-2010, 10:48 AM
In the Mid-South meow

^ Just move past it and start over. What else can you do?

I'm feeling it big time today. Started last night and this morning I had a hard time getting out of bed. Kenpo literally kicked my butt. My a*s and legs feel like they were beat with a baseball bat.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:49 PM
I fixed the glitch

Keep it up. I bounced back and started up on Shoulders and Arms and Ab Ripper X. I'm gonna hit the elliptical for 45-50 minutes to replace Plyo and Yoga for now.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Tomorrow i finish week 3 I am seeing a difference already.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:00 PM
In the Mid-South meow

^ Congrats!

Yesterday was my rest day and I took full advantage and drank myself silly last night. Our best friends are moving out of state so we had a little get together and the brews were aflow'n, so today I'm not feeling up to working out, but guess what, I'm still gonna force myself to do it no matter what. It's going to suck, but such is life.
Old 05-08-2010, 05:08 PM
Quarterlife Crisis....

If there's anything I've learned by working out and trying to eat better, it's to do everything in moderation...
Old 05-08-2010, 06:40 PM
I fixed the glitch

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Tomorrow i finish week 3 I am seeing a difference already.
Congrats! Keep it up!

If there's anything I've learned by working out and trying to eat better, it's to do everything in moderation...
Very very true.

But...I did 52 minutes on the elliptical last night. 705 calories. I figured that's about as intensive as Plyo, without the high-impact.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:58 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,863 Likes on 2,030 Posts
Originally Posted by Carlito Benito
But...I did 52 minutes on the elliptical last night. 705 calories. I figured that's about as intensive as Plyo, without the high-impact.
From a calorie burn point of view, sure. But I think plyo works a larger set of muscles than those covered by a typical single-mode cardio workout.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:51 PM
I fixed the glitch

Originally Posted by svtmike
From a calorie burn point of view, sure. But I think plyo works a larger set of muscles than those covered by a typical single-mode cardio workout.
Oh I know. But it's too high-impact for me right now. Kempo X is more of my style but once again.... too high impact.

I had to skimp on Legs and Back today because those are the two areas that are effected by this injury.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:26 PM
In the Mid-South meow

Started week 2 yesterday. Did Chest/Back and Ab Ripper X. I found myself able to do a few more reps each round and felt really good afterwards. I was a little sore last night, but nothing like the first week.

Today I skipped Plyometrics and went for a mountain bike ride. It was extremely evident that P90X is making me stronger and has given me extra stamina. I did my local trail and went further and faster than ever before. I was able to climb stuff I hadn't in the past and felt like I kept getting a second wind each time my heart rate jumped up. I was out there for almost 2 hours compared to my usual 45 minute rides. It was awesome! I actually chuckled to myself at one point because I was motoring up hills that I would have bonked on before. Legs felt incrediblely strong!

I'm going to do Plyometrics tomorrow and continue the schedule from there. Works out better anyway since Yoga on Tuesday nights doesn't work for me since it's an hour and a half and I have plans every Tuesday night. So this way I'll have Yoga on Wednesday instead when I have all night and won't feel rushed.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:38 PM
In the Mid-South meow

Plyo tonight... errrrrr... bring it!!!
Old 05-11-2010, 09:09 AM
Quarterlife Crisis....

^ ditto!
Old 05-12-2010, 10:51 AM

did plyo last night.

still hate it.

hate all the run stance squats. run stance 180 squats. etc.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:55 AM
Quarterlife Crisis....

I could only get through 25 Minutes of Plyo before I could feel my back starting to strain and had to cut it short. I did Ab Ripper X and man, that was the sorest I have felt in a while. I hate it, but I love it lol.

P90Xer's whats your fav exercise?
Old 05-12-2010, 11:15 AM
In the Mid-South meow

My favorite is Shoulders/Arms. Did it last night and kept up with the entire DVD. Definitely felt the gain in strength last night. Love it!

I actually really like Plyometrics, but it does kick my a5s still, although I was able to keep up with the DVD the last time. One of my main goals is to be able to dunk again after the 90 days is up, so Plyo is key to me getting my hops back.

I still hate Yoga and Ab Ripper X. I have Yoga tonight and I'm kind of dredding it, but I'll put up with it as long as it does it's job. Ab Ripper X is rough on my lower back with some of the moves, so I do what I can and just rest if I feel any discomfort in my back. I'm starting to think I need to do additional crunches afterward to really get the abs targeted.

Last edited by SuperTrooper169; 05-12-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:18 AM

I could only get through 25 Minutes of Plyo before I could feel my back starting to strain and had to cut it short. I did Ab Ripper X and man, that was the sorest I have felt in a while. I hate it, but I love it lol.

P90Xer's whats your fav exercise?
probably shoulders/arms and kenpo.

Quick Reply: P90x and P90x2