Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

New home-based workout - look decent?

Old 03-19-2008, 03:00 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
New home-based workout - look decent?

Hey guys. I've had to change my workout routine since I didn't renew my gym membership, but instead bought a decent weight bench, lots of plates (large and small), and dumbbells and 2 barbells. I also have a new exercise bike for winter-cardio (I rollerblade every day in the summer).

I had to restructure my workout for a few reasons:
- ceiling height
- equipment availability. I want to keep it to what I have available.
- Most importantly, time-saving, by reason of not having to change weights more than once in a workout.

Overall goals are just better health, weight loss/muscle build, in that order.

3 days per week: full workout
3 off-days per week: cardio (20-30 minutes) + core only
1 day total rest

Cardio and Core
Cardio - 10 minutes
Stretches - Various
Crunches - 2 sets x 20 reps
Russian Twists - 2 x 10 reps, 20 lb dumbbell

Weights (2 sets, 10 reps)
--- group 1---
Military press
Bicep curl
Bench press
---group 2---
Squat
Deadlift (*shrug opt.)
---group 3---
Bent over row
Calf raises

*** I like doing the groups in supersets, so group 1, set 1... then rest. Group 1, set 2... then rest.***

Optional (2 sets, 10 reps) *Would probably do these once or twice a week as my body permits*
Skull crushers
Flies
Leg extensions
Hamstring curl

What does everyone think? Decent workout? Anything major I'm forgetting?
Thanks!!
Old 03-19-2008, 03:47 PM
Pug
Team Camel, VP for Zaino

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by curls

Weights (2 sets, 10 reps)
--- group 1---
Military press
Bicep curl
Bench press
---group 2---
Squat
Deadlift (*shrug opt.)
---group 3---
Bent over row
Calf raises

*** I like doing the groups in supersets, so group 1, set 1... then rest. Group 1, set 2... then rest.***
Overall looks pretty good, just a few comments:

- ceiling height. I work out in my basement where there's a low ceiling (7'). For doing overhead stuff (like military press) I go upstairs with a pair of DBs where I can get a better range, and also a little heart rate increase for walking up the stairs. You can also put a towel or pad on the floor and do them kneeling. Either one is better than seated.

- Usually supersets are done by pairing opposing exercises so you can "actively rest". Based on this, I would suggest not doing military and bench press in the same superset. Swap one for bent over row, or another pulling exercise. While on this theme, reconsider doing squats and deadlift in the same superset. You can also substitute DB lunges for leg exercises as well.

- Except for bent over row, you're not targeting your lats too much. Is this intentional (injury?). Otherwise, I'd recommend also doing some pull ups/chin ups and/or 1-arm rows.

- For your deadlifts I'd suggest alternating between Romanian and Snatch grip for some variety. Check out Youtube for demo videos if you're not familiar.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:40 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
All of my ceilings are low, to me. I'm 6'2 w/ long arms. I have tried upstairs and the result is the same. Plus, every time I go upstairs in the middle of a workout, I know my wife is going to want me to do some chores... LOL! I like the kneeling miltary press though. I have 4 fairly decent interlocking foam pads for the floor that are great for working out on. I also use a yoga mat for core stuff as its a bit 'stickier'.

If I were to swap bench press with deadlift, would that be a better combination? That way I wouldn't have to swap weights in mid-workout more than once (since my deadlift and squat is roughly my bench weight -- I have had back problems and don't want to aggravate it by going too high with the deadlifts/squats).

I was considering DB lunges, I just didn't type it - thanks - I'll note that.

For my bent over rows, I do one arm at a time, not the two arm version -- is this what you mean by '1-arm rows'? I do mine like this: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...ntOverRow.html

I should change "Military Press" to read "Shoulder press", since I much prefer using dumbbells for this.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:14 AM
Pug
Team Camel, VP for Zaino

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I were to swap bench press with deadlift, would that be a better combination? That way I wouldn't have to swap weights in mid-workout more than once (since my deadlift and squat is roughly my bench weight -- I have had back problems and don't want to aggravate it by going too high with the deadlifts/squats).
I think that would be OK, but generally a row or other pulling exercise is usually paired with a press on a superset. My concern here would be that you'd be so tired from the deadlift that it would impact your gains on the bench, but it can't hurt to try! With respect to your back, I'd be VERY conservative with the deadlifts and squats. You really need to have perfect form. You might want to throw in some front squats in addition to back squats. I've found that balancing the bar on your delts (which can be a little uncomfortable) really forces you to keep your back straight - otherwise you'll drop the bar. It does provide an awesome hit on your quads, however.

For my bent over rows, I do one arm at a time, not the two arm version -- is this what you mean by '1-arm rows'? I do mine like this: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...ntOverRow.html
Yes - that's what I referred to as a 1-arm row. I usually think of the bent over row as being done with a barbell, which may not be cool with your back.

Good luck