Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

Need help with Workout/Diet

Old 08-27-2008, 12:39 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Need help with Workout/Diet

I go 6 days a week, and have 3 routines:

Day 1: Chest/Shoulders
1. 6 Minute Mile run (9.8 mph on treadmill)
2. Flat Bench Dumbells (75-80 lb dumbell each arm) 3 sets of 10
3. Incline Bench Dumbells (65-70 lb dumbell each arm) 3 sets of 10
4. Military press Dumbells (50-55 lb dumbell each arm) 3 sets of 10
5. Bar Dips 3 sets of 10
6. Abs.
7. Machine Squats (too tired to do with free weights/bar)

Day 2: Bicep/Back/Legs
1. 6 Minute Mile run
2. Preacher Curl (70-75 lb bar) 3 sets of 10
3. Preacher Curl (25-30 lb dumbell) 3 sets of 15
4. Preacher Hammer Curl (25-30 lb dumbell) 3 sets of 15.
5. Sitting Row (125-150) 3 sets of 10
6. Lat pulldown (125-150) 3 sets of 10.
7. Box Jumps 4x15

Day 3: Cardio

1. 2 mile run - usually at 8.5 - 8.8 mph.
2. 20 minute bike - hill strength training
3. Abs/Core
4. Calf Raises

Day 4: Rest

Day 5-7: repeat Day 1-3.

Diet: I consume Around 2000-2300 calories a day. Currently taking atleast 100 grams of protein a day (at least 60 grams in the form of Designer Whey Protein powder)

Supplements: Currently taking N.O. Explode - great stuff, energizes me for workouts even after a long day at the office.

Height/Weight: 5'11, 145. (Had my body fat checked at 7%)

I'm trying to get "bigger" since I'm a pretty thin guy but I don't seem to be getting "bigger." I've been doing the following workout for about 3 months, but I feel like I've hit a brick wall; I can lift more weight, but I'm not getting bigger.

What should I do to change this? I don't want to become body builer big, but I'd like to weigh in at 155-160 with the same body fat % if possible.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:06 PM
werd

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Try adding glutamine to your shake.

Glutamine is the most common amino acid found in your muscles - over 61% of skeletal muscle is Glutamine. Glutamine consists of 19% nitrogen, making it the primary transporter of nitrogen into your muscle cells.

During intense training, Glutamine levels are greatly depleted in your body, which decreases strength, stamina and recovery. It could take up to 6 days for Glutamine levels to return to normal - and Glutamine plays a key role in protein synthesis. Studies have shown that L-Glutamine supplementation can minimize breakdown of muscle and improve protein metabolism.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/glutamine.htm
Increase the weight you lift, to the point where you're failing at 6-8 reps, not 10-15.

Eat more protein.

Take a multivitamin.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:45 PM
Not Asian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Eat more, say around 3000 calories. Also, if you're just going for bulk, cut back a little on the cardio.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:47 PM
werd

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by phipark
Eat more, say around 3000 calories. Also, if you're just going for bulk, cut back a little on the cardio.
I don't think he should cut back on his cardio. He's not doing distance/fat-burning.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:22 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
^ Amis, is there a particular brand you recommend?

^^ Phi, I'm trying to keep up my fast twitch exercises with my cardio - trying to stay cut while getting bigger.

3000 calories?! Holy shit.. i can barely keep down 2400.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:19 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
from the surface, your workout/diet may look good, but, its not working for you for several reasons. i'm also going on the assumption you *want* to do bodybuilding routines for your goals.

ditch the mile run "warm-ups". absolutely not necessary for anaerobic excercise. you want your heart and lungs ready for anaerobic excercise - if you stress it doing aerobic excercise, it doesn't do you much good. do some jumping jacks to get your heart rate up, and 'warm-up" with light weights on the movement you are going to be doing. that way, you will "warm-up" the necessary ligaments, tendons, and activate muscle fibers for heavier loads.

why are you spending so much dang time on bicep curls? biceps are one of the smallest parts of your body - you don't need to spend that much time on them. also, ditch the seated rows and lat pulldowns for pull-ups/chin-ups. pull-ups, especially weighted pull-ups will work your entire back way more effectively than machine assisted movements. the best part? you get BIG biceps as a bonus!

overall, your workout routine does very little to create a CNS aka neuroendocrine response. i'd actually throw out your entire routine and go heavy deadlift, heavy squat, weighted pull-ups/chin-ups, weighted dips, and throw in heavy bench press as well as handstand push-ups. having to brace your upper body properly for those loads automatically works your core and "abs". those create a cns response in your body, forcing it to produce more testosterone and human growth hormone; steroids is a chemical way to stimulate and accelerate what your body already does under heavy stress. recovering from this is what boosts muscle growth and athletic performance.

on your cardio day, i'd ditch all of that and do some HIIT type of training. hill sprints on an actual hill, bleacher/stair sprints, etc. google HIIT training for sample workouts.

as far as your diet is concerned, you need to eat more. way more. you also need to consume more protein. you should be taking roughly 1 gram protein per pound of weight. so you should be consuming about 150 grams of protein. you need to break down your food intake across 4-6 meals throughout the day. 2 "meals" can be sub'd with protein shakes, 1 "meal" can be a protein heavy snack, and the rest should be big meals of about 40/30/30 of proten/carb/fat.

i dunno why, but for whatever reason, many people seem to think traditional bodybuilding routines is the gold standard to gaining/losing weight, when in fact, its absolutely not...
Old 08-29-2008, 02:28 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,309 Likes on 962 Posts
^ on the pullups/chinups and handstand pushups (HSPU). My back was never more sore doing pullups versus the heaviest back workout I've ever done with weights. HSPU is another great one.